• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Does anyone truly believe we'll see Wii U numbers close to this again next month?

Why would we? I mean, it's a reasonable assumption that there will be decline to some extent, but very likely not back to previous baseline demand.

Getting the Wii U on track isn't just going to be from MK8. It'll take a sustained effort in titles being released, along with marketing and retail support, over the coming months and years. If they're lucky, they'll have a game that breaks out and becomes appealing to the mass market that hasn't bought the hardware yet.

It is a solid month, and this, combined with a great E3 showing... well they're in a much better place than they were a few months ago. Baby steps.

Bgamer90

Banned
If not this month, when? Lots of us thought that the XB1 would win March thanks to Titanfall. And lots of us thought that it might win June thanks the price cut. What more do you need?

Holiday shopping season when the system will have new games that are part of well established series (November/December)?

Not saying it will happen -- just saying that I wouldn't say it's guaranteed that the PS4 will be #1 every month this year yet; and I feel that the Xbox One not beating the PS4 in sales last month shouldn't be surprising. The system isn't cheaper than the PS4 + it didn't have any major games in June.

Portugeezer

etovyfczvdksq3gjyc9u.gif

Perfect.

Pikma

Banned
I still say Nintendo continuing to not secure a Nintendo-enhanced port of Minecraft is one of the biggest failings of the company in many years.
You're overestimating it, game's basically playable in every other modern device, it wouldn't change anything.

• Microsoft adds a new skew resulting in more sales
  • Microsoft adds a $100 price drop resulting in more sales
  • Microsoft has bigger marketing campaign to reinforce new pricepoint (more sales)
  • Target and others had the $440 Titanfall bundle with Kinect skew adding more numbers
  • Microsoft had people holding off last month for the kinectless version which should of added even more numbers than just a normal price drop. Two months of price drop anticipation boost this months NPD numbers compared to the typical one.
Microsoft should be extremely worried. Even breaking even the results are horrible.

noobasuar

Banned
It has two Gran Turismo's, two Mario titles (one being a remake and the other a party game), a bunch of sports games and a crappy sonic game! :p

It has EA putting out a god-tier game in NBA Street and Activision also putting out an amazing game in Tony Hawk 2.

These two companies are absolute filth now so it's nice to see what they used to be like.

maxcriden

Well, it brought it up to a bit below the performance level of the Xbox One. If it could hold at that level in general, it would be a complete revival of the console. However, that is probably something I wouldn't place money on.

The question then becomes if it doesn't hold, how much does it go down, and how quickly. Obviously it's going to get a good boost this holiday season, as Nintendo systems always do, and they have some strong software out. How well it holds prior to that though will be something of a preview for how demand might be in January 2015 and beyond.

It's undeniably a good month, and my initial impression is the boost there looks more encouraging than what we saw in Japan, where the hardware bump nigh exactly mirrored Pikmin 3.

Thank you, that's exactly the kind of analysis I was looking for. I really appreciate it.

Why would we? I mean, it's a reasonable assumption that there will be decline to some extent, but very likely not back to previous baseline demand.

Getting the Wii U on track isn't just going to be from MK8. It'll take a sustained effort in titles being released, along with marketing and retail support, over the coming months and years. If they're lucky, they'll have a game that breaks out and becomes appealing to the mass market that hasn't bought the hardware yet.

It is a solid month, and this, combined with a great E3 showing... well they're in a much better place than they were a few months ago. Baby steps.

Of course it's not going to happen just from Mario Kart 8, but I really don't think Hyrule Warriors is going to do much, at least not in the U.S., neither is Bayonetta 2. The coming months don't look all that great and next year is probably worse overall.

C4Lukins

Really, the way I see it Microsoft likely isn't going to get close to the PS4 this gen. I'm guessing by the end of the 5 years it'll be something like 80 M vs 50 M (shot in the dark, don't quote me on this or anything). The best way for Microsoft to stage a comeback is really just pushing a higher quality line-up of exclusives harder than Sony. They've revealed a ton of new exclusives at E3, and while many of them are high quality they are too far out to make a difference now.

That seems high for both consoles, but that is the percentage difference I would expect. 65 million to 40 million sounds more reasonable after 5.

Thus year:
Smash Bros will have an equal sales potential as MK8. Bajonetta 1 & 2 and Hyrule Warriors have potential to bring new gamers to the Wii U.

Holiday sales of Wii U will be crazy.

Smash is a big name, Bayo and Hyrule won't do a damn thing.

It's going to be "crazy" how easily the PS4 will beat the Wii U this holiday season.

Foshy

It has EA putting out a god-tier game in NBA Street and Activision also putting out an amazing game in Tony Hawk 2.

These two companies are absolute filth now so it's nice to see what they used to be like.
You were talking about about diversity, not quality.

ItsLeebo

Banned
I'd offer a good guess that a good percentage of people that are hyped for the Halo MCC have already shelled out and bought the Xbox One and while you'll see a little bump for that month it won't be anything to get excited about.

Though I swear I could have made that same argument a few months ago with Titanfall.

Lol poor Pachter.

Wii U sales numbers finally reaching GameCube level, yay?

At least it seems Wii U will give a decent battle for that #2 spot throughout the rest of the year. (Unless Amiibo really catches on which I strongly doubt).

Bgamer90

Banned
The audience most interested in Halo already own Xbox Ones. It's Titanfall all over again.

So people interested in GT and Uncharted already have PS4s?

Don't understand this statement as many people wait for the game(s) to release to buy the console instead of buying the console to just... wait for the game(s) they bought the console for.

Yes, I'm sure about that.
Some people didn't buy their Xbone's in May, becasue they knew the Kinect-less SKU was coming in June + preordered it. So you can say Xbox June NPD has "eaten" a bit of the May NPD cake. Now, in July, it's "July only" again. So the Xbone sales will drop again, comparted to June.

Below 100k would be disastrous. That is the point where they need to think about a genuine price cut as the Xbone is still getting steamrollered worldwide.

DevilFox

If it's safe to say PS4>One, then I really want to be PS4>WII U>One (possibly forever but that's utopia). You can do it Reggie.

Kriken

140k for WiiU is pretty good for a console on life support. Bummer it didn't outsell XB1, but better than the constant 40-60k months it's been having

Lefein

Banned
Are we gamers on this forum or what ?

I consider myself quite the gamer, which is why I am pleased that gamers have sent a clear message to any future would-be console maker that the way Xbox One's policies were revealed is wrong. That architecting a game console with gaming as a second priority is wrong. That continuing to use PR spin while ignoring major promises like Cloud and DX12 at major press conferences is wrong. That trying to parade a CEO who cut 400 million dollar checks to the NFL as gamings next messiah is WRONG.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Taking it for granted that gamers will simply line up for said machine with a few soundbites and montages to razzle dazzle the feeble-minded consumer. WRONG. Oh, I am the gamer, here. Point the finger at me again if you like, I have ammunition all day and all night.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'd offer a good guess that a good percentage of people that are hyped for the Halo MCC have already shelled out and bought the Xbox One and while you'll see a little bump for that month it won't be anything to get excited about.

Little bump? The increase in console sales should be huge considering the fact the the game will be releasing in November.

Have we gotten comparison numbers with the Gamecube and N64 yet? I recall some graphs and lists (Aqua) being posted the last few months. Still, Wii U probably won't hold this mediocre pace without the software to back it up.

Javier

Nice to see Wii U doing better than what most expected. Don't underestimate the Luigi Stare.

Congrats on Tomodachi too.

So I think we should all just take a second and mourn over our collective predictions

pouring-out-liquor.gif

Good on you Nintendo for subverting expectations

I just started with the predictions game and Nintendo came in and smacked me down hard. I really wasn't paying too much attention to them, but how in the world did MK8 improve hardware sales so much in the month after it was released? I realize that it was the first full month but I figured people would have bought the Wii U ahead of time if they were going to pick up the game. For future reference is it normal to have this kind of delayed reaction.

Top Bottom