• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

Wow, no Mad World or Chinatown Wars and 2K9 made the top 10. WOW!
:lol :lol :lol

I was really freaking off this month in predictions. Also, Mario Kart Wii's legs are austounding...
I am part of the problem. I just bought it Monday, :)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Sharp said:
Because it's GTA. I mean, fuck, it even managed to sell well on the PSP.
So? Why did that guarentee that GTA on DS would do well? They're two totally different demographics. Plus DS games rarely pop up high on NPD charts, instead they are slow burners.

lawblob said:
For starters, obviously a marketing guy from Sega will say they are pleased with the sales. Thats irrelevant. The game is a sales disaster, regardless of what the PR team says.

Second, Killzone 2's sales are not good considering it was one of the most expensive and most hyped games of this generation.

I hate to constantly troll the console I play every day, but if these goalposts get moved any further, you won't be able to see them because the curvature of the Earth will be blocking your view.

What? Everyone knows that the world is flat!

markatisu

TheGreatDave said:
They should port The Conduit to a next gen platform, the "motion" controls add NOTHING.

Oh good another post about how a Wii exclusive game needs to be ported, for being a shit kiddie system there seems to be quite an interest in porting it's games

phez

Banned
fernoca said:
Of all time?! Darn!!!!

I was wrong..
KIllzone 2 BOMBA!!!!!!
It's all over time to sell the PS3!

FINALLY. Some sensible talk in this thread.

sorry. seriously though, sadpanda over SF4 disappearing :(

Opiate

I'm just surprised the jokers and serious aren't obvious for long time posters.

It's not surprising to me when Astrolad hooks a new guy, but it still shocks me when long time posters are hooked by him.

And when Hero of Legend explains why everything should be on Wii/DS or Private Hoffman explains how Sony's resurgence is perennially just around the corner, those are serious. They've been tooting those horns since their arrival, and a long time reader shoudl know that.

Similarly, I'd hoped my post history was sober enough that any long time reader would recognize the sudden shift in tone. I never talk like that. So either my IQ took a sudden and inexplicable dive reducing me to a blathering troll, or I was joking.

Just to be clear: this isn't specifically aimed at Chumly.

Sharp

grandjedi6 said:
So? Why did that guarentee that GTA on DS would do well? They're two totally different demographics. Plus DS games rarely pop up high on NPD charts, instead they are slow burners.
Yeah, but I still thought it would do more than 88k. I would have expected 100k at least based on the great reviews if nothing else. I mean, it probably will have pretty good legs, but it's not unreasonable to expect more.

lowlylowlycook said:
What? Everyone knows that the world is flat!
SarahPalin10208b.jpg

markatisu said:
Oh good another post about how a Wii exclusive game needs to be ported, for being a shit kiddie system there seems to be quite an interest in porting it's games

610x.jpg

Random question:

Is the PS3 really doing THAT badly? Every month people seem to be writing it off like its the next dreamcast(R.I.P.) but I keep seeing game after game that I want to buy. Have things gotten to the point where developers are beginning to pull PS3 ports/projects?

edit:
DevelopmentArrested, 8-3 baby! Go Jays Go!

Barrett2

fernoca said:
Of all time?! Darn!!!!

I was wrong..
KIllzone 2 BOMBA!!!!!!
It's all over time to sell the PS3!

"Its time to sell X" has to be the weakest comeback in the GAF lexicon. Its the ultimate straw man, you ignore the substance of the person's post by inferring the conclusion of that post was that people should throw the console in question out the window. :lol

Sharp

markatisu said:
I'm pretty sure he said that because he was trying to look out for SEGA, not because he actually has any interest in playing the game... The Conduit is like the Wii's Haze.

Tobor

grandjedi6 said:
I don't find Chinatown Wars numbers surprising at all. I was always confused at why people expected so much from it on the DS.

It deserves to do well, it's fantastic. Let's give it some time to see if it has some legs. I'd be curious to see what R* expected, and what it needs to sell to be considered a success in their books. The game only had 18 people working on it, right?

markatisu said:

But it's a 360 game that has been forced on Wii. If you love it, set it free.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
maybe they can release madworld as a downloadable title on pc/psn/xbla? can chinatown wars be ported to those platforms without the touchscreen capabilities? will it make sense?

chris0701

2008 Nov NPD:

Gears of War 2 (X360) – 1.56m
Call of Duty: World at War (X360) – 1.41m
Wii Play (Wii) – 796k
Wii Fit (Wii) – 697k
Mario Kart Wii (Wii) – 637k
Call of Duty: World at War (PS3) – 597k
Guitar Hero: World Tour (Wii) – 475k
Left for Dead (X360) – 410k
Resistance 2 (PS3) – 385k
Wii Music (Wii) – 297k

And..
Killzone 2:619k (Feb+Mar)

Sad sales for Sony

AniHawk said:
Well not because of the Wii being bad market for the game, but because the game's a generic FPS.
This as well, unfortunately. I have no real interest in FPS beyond Metroid Prime 3 and Bioshock (and in both those cases, it's not the classical FPS gunplay that compels me), but even to me The Conduit looks like an extremely bland and cliche-ridden FPS with GREAT controls.

Early videos were promising because of their protential, but as time went on, it became clear that they wouldn't fix the fundamental problems that will inevitably cripple the final release - uninteresting and unimaginative scenario and artstyle.

Tobor

Sharp said:
Yeah, but I still thought it would do more than 88k. I would have expected 100k at least based on the great reviews if nothing else. I mean, it probably will have pretty good legs, but it's not unreasonable to expect more.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, but it's not going to get yanked from shelves, so we need to be patient.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Sharp said:
Critical acclaim works the same as word of mouth, it takes time for it to effect sales.

grandjedi6 said:

Because GTA is the biggest game franchise of the decade. Whens the last time a GTA didn't post massive sales numbers.

It's sad to see Resistance only doing 55k. I hope Sony bundles it in the future so more people will play this awesome game.

liuelson

Given that everything (software & hardware) is down from February, and most are down from March 2008, what does everyone think about April and the rest of 2009? Anita Frazier seems to find the silver lining, but it's also possible that we're starting to see a significant drop-off.

Optimist:
* Easter was in March last year v. April this year
* SSBB was released last year
* Q1 2009 still comparable to Q1 2008
* X360 up YoY
* DSi introduced in April, may have depressed DSL sales in March

Pessimist:
* All hardware dropped v. Feb, weekly rate
* Hardware drops (weekly) were significant - 30%ish
* Wii down YoY without supply constraints
* Halo Wars, Killzone 2, GTA CW, Madworld - nothing seemed to move hardware

If April is down YoY across the board...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
outunderthestars said:
Random question:

Is the PS3 really doing THAT badly? Every month people seem to be writing it off like its the next dreamcast(R.I.P.) but I keep seeing game after game that I want to buy. Have things gotten to the point where developers are beginning to pull PS3 ports/projects?
Back in October 2007, Sony was actually pleading with devs to not give up multiplatform projects on the PS3. It was dire. It was really, really bad.

But now, the PS3 is doing well. It's doing even better overseas. It provides a good amount of revenue for developers to make their multiplatform games worthwhile. It's not quite there to launch new third party IPs yet, but Sony's got that covered with their 1st party roster.

It's doing well. It could be doing better. But it's not in any danger of "failing" like it was the first few months.

markatisu

Sharp said:
I'm pretty sure he said that because he was trying to look out for SEGA, not because he actually has any interest in playing the game... The Conduit is like the Wii's Haze.

SEGA is only the publisher, High Voltage is the one at risk. They were going to release the game anyway they could. IF it fails SEGA shrugs and moves on earning money From Sonic Unleashed and Mario & Sonic Olympic games

Opiate

outunderthestars said:
Random question:

Unlike the Dreamcast, the PS3 is in the enviable position of being absolutely necessary to justify costs. Multiplatform titles aren't going anywhere.

Sharp

markatisu said:
SEGA is only the publisher, High Voltage is the one at risk. They were going to release the game anyway they could. IF it fails SEGA shrugs and moves on earning money From Sonic Unleashed and Mario & Sonic Olympic games
You see, I didn't know that because I don't really care about The Conduit. Neither does anyone else. That was the point I was trying to make.

how is PS3 (costing 2x as much as 360) a bomba at 218k and 360 doing great at 330k?

Both are selling much less than the Wii, a last gen console with terrible games, so I think the industry as a whole looks like crap. Which explains why Id rather bowl in Home than spend my money on mediocre shovelware this gen. That's just my 2kb worth.

So does anyone else have a nagging feeling that something is wrong with the hardware numbers?

The week to week drops are just too big and too consistent. I don't remember anyone ever claiming that Easter could provide a 33% boost to hardware sales before this.

And if it was the recession then why would all platforms be hit the same way?

Fredescu

grandjedi6 said:
I don't find Chinatown Wars numbers surprising at all. I was always confused at why people expected so much from it on the DS.
Huge franchise + huge install base + platforms best reviews = ... an unsuprising 88k? Is 200k really too much to ask from that combination?

Barrett2

liuelson said:
Given that everything (software & hardware) is down from February, and most are down from March 2008, what does everyone think about April and the rest of 2009? Anita Frazier seems to find the silver lining, but it's also possible that we're starting to see a significant drop-off.

I would think the numbers will get worse. Many economists predict escalating unemployment throughout the year, and I don't see economic anxiety being alleviated any time soon. I suspect console sales will get worse and worse.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
how is PS3 (costing 2x as much as 360) a bomba at 218k and 360 doing great at 330k?

Both are selling much less than the Wii, a last gen console with terrible games, so I think the industry as a whole looks like crap. Which explains why Id rather bowl in Home than spend my money on mediocre shovelware this gen. That's just my 2kb worth.
You were playing Wii Sports back in 2003? Tell me more.

Scrubking

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Because GTA is the biggest game franchise of the decade. Whens the last time a GTA didn't post massive sales numbers.

When it was 2D. Golly Gee what a coincidence.

For starters, obviously a marketing guy from Sega will say they are pleased with the sales. Thats irrelevant. The game is a sales disaster, regardless of what the PR team says.

Yes because all that matters is that the game didn't meet YOUR expectations. Who cares what Sega and Platinum Games think or wanted.

Sharp

lawblob said:
I would think the numbers will get worse. Many economists predict escalating unemployment throughout the year, and I don't see economic anxiety being alleviated any time soon. I suspect console sales will get worse and worse.
They'll pick up for the holidays. The summer months are going to be pretty bad though.

MidgarBlowedUp said:

$399 vs $299?

liuelson

lowlylowlycook said:
So does anyone else have a nagging feeling that something is wrong with the hardware numbers?

Yes - see my earlier post. I'm feeling pessimistic.

The week to week drops are just too big and too consistent. I don't remember anyone ever claiming that Easter could provide a 33% boost to hardware sales before this.

Wasn't there some meme about Easter and DS sales?

And if it was the recession then why would all platforms be hit the same way?

I didn't understand your question - I think a recession WOULD hit all platforms similarly...

Snipes424

outunderthestars said:
Random question:

edit:
DevelopmentArrested, 8-3 baby! Go Jays Go!

You have to understand that this is Neogaf and sell numbers determine how awesome your console is (unless it's the wii, that one doesn't count).

The only thing for me though is that I do wish the PS3 would sell more, at least around what the 360 is selling. Why? Because competition is GOOD for the industry, it keeps both Microsoft and Sony on their "A" game, which is better for us consumers.

Fredescu said:
Huge franchise + huge install base + platforms best reviews = ... an unsuprising 88k? Is 200k really too much to ask from that combination?
Reviews and install base mean nothing for sales. Okami would have done much better on the PS2 otherwise.

I think that most people looked into it, saw that it was top-down 2D, decided that it was a gimped GTA and never looked at it again. I found the platform choice puzzling for that very reason.

chris0701 said:
2008 Nov NPD:

Gears of War 2 (X360) – 1.56m
Call of Duty: World at War (X360) – 1.41m
Wii Play (Wii) – 796k
Wii Fit (Wii) – 697k
Mario Kart Wii (Wii) – 637k
Call of Duty: World at War (PS3) – 597k
Guitar Hero: World Tour (Wii) – 475k
Left for Dead (X360) – 410k
Resistance 2 (PS3) – 385k
Wii Music (Wii) – 297k

And..
Killzone 2:619k (Feb+Mar)

Sad sales for Sony

Actually I think that's pretty good numbers for Killzone 2, it was out for only 2 days or something in February and it held up well, CODWaW is a huge franchise.

Barrett2

Scrubking said:
Yes because all that matters is that the game didn't meet YOUR expectations. Who cares what Sega and Platinum Games think or wanted.

I hate to break it to you, but companies typically don't reveal their actual internal projections and figures in PR statements. Thats... sort of the point of a PR statement.

AniHawk

Yeah, I couldn't care less about CTW. I thought it was going to be awful, and was surprised it's been getting good word of mouth. Then again, I haven't actually played games for a couple of months now (last one was Mirror's Edge DLC, but I have been squeezing some Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon in a little recently).

Aside from that, there are a couple of DS games that look more along the lines that I'd like that I haven't picked up yet, like Henry Hatsworth and Soul Bubbles.

Top Bottom