• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

There's definitely a market I would think but SoA isn't giving it the push that the thing needs like the PSP had. Which is a shame

Sony launched the Vita at a co petitve price, has new games from massive franchises, and spent hundreds of millions of dollars in marketing. After all of that the system was a complete failure. I think it is safe to say that there was, in fact, no market for the system.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Hey, two months being the only previously released system being up yoy in a row ... One more and that's a TREND! When you're Nintendo now, you take your tiny wins to the BANK. LITERALLY. They need it.

Yoshi sold almost as much as previous release, and donkey only down like 35%ish... Not terrible, given the circumstance.

Dark souls being up30% in first four weeks to last release, ffx HD selling more than and almost more than ff13-3 and ff13-2 is very nice, and south park crushing any comparable liscence title are all good In my book.

(I'm going to avoid titanfall since it's a hot button here, but I fail to see anything wrong with its performance so far. Personally not my kinda game tho)

Wait I'm confused, DKCTF is only 35% down from its Feb? Or from DKCR? The latter I think would be pretty impossible, although I might be mistaken...

MercuryLS

Banned
Yeah but Sony caught up due to how poorly recieved the Xbox is in the rest of the world. 360 was able to maintain its dominance in North America and Uk -- you can prob count on one hand how many months the PS3 has led the 360 in NA.

In this case, the rest of the world still prefers Playstation and now NA + Uk are in agreement. Which will make it much harder for MS to turn this around.

Yeah, MS Is in a worse position than Sony was last gen. Their strongest markets are turning and they are irrelevant in other markets. It's why they're trying everything to push XB1 in NA and UK, they know that those are the only markets they are competitive in, if Sony builds too much momentum in those markets the network effect will decimate them over the course of he gen.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Ouch that's not good

Yeah. Software schedule for Q4 wasn't that great comparatively to last year (Fire Emblem: Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 2, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon).

I'm not surprised by the YOY decline, software hasn't been great as of late but with Kirby, Mario Golf and Tomodachi Life around the corner, hopefully it can lessen the decline.

vypek

A marathon would be even worse for MS, Sony consoles sell for many years. Look how long the PS2 sold. Remember the massive lead the 360 had on the PS3? Now they're basically even.

Oh yeah. That's true. Didn't production of the PS2 only stop last year?

Petrae

A former high profile gaffer that has inside info and was recently banned says that the Vita was out of stock and most stores are waiting for the new model. Will go back to the 20K "ghetto" by May.

I'm sure retail stores are going to like seeing more Vita hardware that nobody wants taking up valuable shelf space. As it is, it took months (and clearance sales) to clear out inventory.

At least Sony is still trying-- and the company has a bit of bargaining power with the success of the PS4-- but I'm guessing that retail purchasers are wary of taking on more stock of something that's failed to sell well pretty much out of the gate.

AniHawk

Doesn't mean much. 3DS was down YOY in 2012 (a full year versus a partial year), but was up YOY in 2013.

Anyone who says that is a fool.

it's down significantly though, and it's down significantly worldwide with most major software already out for the machine. if the system's fortunes are going to reverse, it will have to be dramatic and from something unforeseen, like tomodachi life becoming the new minecraft.

Yeah. Software schedule for Q4 wasn't that great comparatively to last year (Fire Emblem: Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 2, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon).

I'm not surprised by the YOY decline, software hasn't been great as of late but with Kirby, Mario Golf and Tomodachi Life around the corner, hopefully it can lessen the decline.

Tomodachi life is going to bomb absurdly hard at US retail.

So, still too early to say Microsoft lost this gen?

Wait for 1 years' worth of US LTD data then we'll see.

This is a NPD thread after all, and they're still neck and neck in the US. (2.91 vs 2.53 million, including this month's numbers).

Globally however, that PS4 lead may be quite unsurmountable, as long as Sony keeps up the momentum on their side. They have all the cards right now.

Biker19

Banned
I like how Sony only talk WW numbers. They didn't even bother to release a statement about NPD, even while being at the Top.

They were like: NPD? Meh...we sold 7m units to consumer WORLDWIDE.

You would think they would want to brag about EU and NA numbers individually in separate press releases to maximize the impact. Then follow up with WW ...

There was no need for them to flaunt about it. They already know that they've won March NPD.

it's down significantly though, and it's down significantly worldwide with most major software already out for the machine. if the system's fortunes are going to reverse, it will have to be dramatic and from something unforeseen, like tomodachi life becoming the new minecraft.

LOL that would be hilarious

Wait, it was mentioned that DK was down 35%. Does that mean 35% from February?

If so, shouldn't we know the LTD if we know Feb?

I think so, that means 130*.65=84.5k this month, and 130k+84.5k=214.5k total.

hawk2025

Kind of a silly question/thought experiment:

How much do you guys think being in the "cultural center" of TV and pop culture in general matters for sales, in terms of videogames?

As a silly and not too representative example, what exactly does Conan adopting the PS4 for the latest Clueless Gamer segment actually mean, for example?

What about demoing, previewing, and reviewing most games on the PS4?

Is this an actual reflection of being the market leader, or does it feed back into larger sales by itself?

Orayn

This is a NPD thread after all, and they're still neck and neck in the US. (2.91 vs 2.53 including this month's numbers).

Globally however, that PS4 lead may be quite unsurmountable, as long as Sony keep's up the momentum on their side. They have all the cards right now.

Yeah, but they're still behind in what is traditionally their strongest territory and the gap is growing wider.

If they have a huge rally in the US (and UK?) and regain a lot of lost ground, it's still very much a losing battle worldwide.

Foxix Von

I'm sure retail stores are going to like seeing more Vita hardware that nobody wants taking up valuable shelf space. As it is, it took months (and clearance sales) to clear out inventory.

At least Sony is still trying-- and the company has a bit of bargaining power with the success of the PS4-- but I'm guessing that retail purchasers are wary of taking on more stock of something that's failed to sell well pretty much out of the gate.

"Trying" is the last word I'd use to describe what Sony is doing with the Vita.

Gator86

They're definitely looking at a second place finish, but their choices from here on out determine how close it'll be.

If they shape up, medium-small gap. If they don't, it'll be massively embarrassing and harmful to the brand.

Absolutely right. Last gen MS did damn near everything right and had some luck while Sony was stumbling around drunk telling people to take out a second mortgage. In the end, they wound up in a dead heat. This round, the positions are completely reversed. If the best MS could do was tie before, they're looking at a respectable beating now, in the best case scenario, and an absolute curb stomping, worst case scenario.

erawsd

Kind of a silly question/thought experiment:

How much do you guys think being in the "cultural center" of TV and pop culture in general matters for sales, in terms of videogames?

As a silly and not too representative example, what exactly does Conan adopting the PS4 for the latest Clueless Gamer segment actually mean, for example?

What about demoing, previewing, and reviewing most games on the PS4?

Is this an actual reflection of being the market leader, or does it feed back into larger sales by itself?

I think there is definitely some small effect. Its basically free marketing and creating product awareness.

Orayn

No, not even close. It all depends on how they will play their cards from now on. If they handle it smartly, they can pull a PS3, otherwise, they might end up close second, which won't be a surprise since the Wii U is already down in its grave.

As others have said, I'm not sure if they can pull a PS3. Sony was very well liked in most places worldwide, and fell behind because they priced themselves out of the market and gave MS a year's head start. Microsoft doesn't have the advantage of being the favored brand.

They don't need humble, they need to invent a time machine, then ask AMD for a bigger gun three years ago.
they already tried that
XboxOnebetatested.jpg

Dire

You would think they would want to brag about EU and NA numbers individually in separate press releases to maximize the impact. Then follow up with WW ...

I assume public perception of the XBone is rapidly declining. The aggressive price drops alone are enough to do that. Pair it with declining sales in spite of enormous marketing and that's a lock. As a consequence I expect two things to happen as a result of this. Microsoft is going to increasingly try to associate themselves with Sony. They've already been doing this by increasing using of stuff like first person plural in an increasing number of PR type releases. And Sony is going to do the exact opposite - try to turn the XBone into a leper, kind of like what happened with the Wii U.

And internally I doubt Sony is happy. They're beating the XBone but success isn't about beating crippled competition. A big issue facing them right now is that their supply has finally met demand, but at the same time demand seems to have taken a nose dive. April and onward is where the holiday hype has finally completely died off and we start to see "real" numbers. If something doesn't change I think that could translate to 1xx,xxx figures for April.

They're definitely looking at a second place finish, but their choices from here on out determine how close it'll be.

If they shape up, medium-small gap. If they don't, it'll be massively embarrassing and harmful to the brand.

This is a NPD thread after all, and they're still neck and neck in the US. (2.91 vs 2.53 million, including this month's numbers).

Globally however, that PS4 lead may be quite unsurmountable, as long as Sony keep's up the momentum on their side. They have all the cards right now.

No, not even close. It all depends on how they will play their cards from now on. If they handle it smartly, they can pull a PS3, otherwise, they might end up close second, which won't be a surprise since the Wii U is already down in its grave.

Alright. It just seems like the negativity can only snowball from here. The performance gap is so wide, it's poisoned multiplatform titles for Microsoft. Every release causes more scrutiny.

Did this happen for the Wii, Wii U? I wasn't paying attention at the time.

As others have said, I'm not sure if they can pull a PS3. Sony was very well liked in most places worldwide, and fell behind because they priced themselves out of the market and gave MS a year's head start. Microsoft doesn't have the advantage of being the favored brand.
Sony did it while losing almost half of their user base from the PS2. Can Microsoft afford to bleed that much?

ShowDog

All the numbers you need to see the next-gen software adoption rate. Kojima should just scrap the ps3/360 versions and focus on improving the visuals.

Because last gen players are desperate to pay for a demo. There will be an audience when the, ya know, actual game hits.

fedexpeon

Banned

Eh...The PS3 was carried by rest of the world.
Right now, the XB division is in a worst shape than the PS3 situation since the MS brand isn't that strong outside of NA/UK.
PS3 came back from a fricken 1 year sales gap + stupid high price because of the WW numbers and strong brand support. But X1? It is almost dead on arrival for most countries, hence why MS probably didn't want to ship extra units to other 2nd/3rd tier countries and wasting marketing/shipping resources for doing so.

You are correct. I do hope that Xbox One is atleast a success for them. I don't want to see another 1 console domination generation like during PS2. Competition is good for everyone :)

David___

Banned

MS isnt pulling no PS3. The only reason why PS3 was able to bounce back is because of Sony's first party support and the devs talented enough to exploit Cell in said 1st party. MS got to comfortable coasting on 3rd parties last gen and now its biting them.

N.Domixis

Banned
MS isnt pulling no PS3. The only reason why PS3 was able to bounce back is because of Sony's first party support and the devs talented enough to exploit Cell in said 1st party. MS got to comfortable coasting on 3rd parties last gen and now its biting them.

Plus europe and japan

slapnuts

PS4 Straight Gangster'd X1 even with MS's Ace card in hand...wow.

Nice going Sony but hey...X1 still sold well regardless of the circumstances but boy my gut tells me future X1 NPD numbers are going to be dwarfed by PS4.

Gosh...sad to see MS falling so hard so quickly but we all seen it coming. Even i was skeptical of everyone saying MS would have this month..

Im just kina lost for words seeing what is happening to the Xbox platform...after the HUGE success of Xbox 360 even after the RROD thing...i am just lost for words how bad they *MS* fumbled things over and over and over with next gen.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
All the numbers you need to see the next-gen software adoption rate. Kojima should just scrap the ps3/360 versions and focus on improving the visuals.

They've already dedicated resources to those versions, might as well release them and make as much cash as they can. The entire industry really underestimated next gen adoption rates. If you told these publishers 2 years ago that Sony and MS would sell 11 million next gen consoles 5 months out of the gate, I imagine you'd see a hell of a lot less cross gen stuff coming down the pipe.

Top Bottom