• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

I don't think we know the PC vs XO ratio though for Titanfall sales.

Eh in terms of NPD, it will be statistically insignificant

PC retail sales in the US are going to be such a small amount of TF numbers that NPD would track though

More curious is what position TF will hold next month, ISS too. Although I have no idea which will hold better

Orayn

marginally better?

PSP had plenty of western support. It also got two GTA games, which are extremely popular in the west.

It is kinda useless to compare the sales of a handheld like PSP in a time when mobiles/smartphones weren't the norm unlike now.

I guess you're right about that. It was a much stronger lineup, but even the standout titles seemed to have a really tiny amount of mindshare after 2005/2006 or so. It just completely fell off the radar in terms of games whose existence was acknowledged by the mainstream press.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Dont forget the new assassins creed and new batman game. Its lie very company not EA is partnered with ps4. MS putt everything they had into the EA partnership and failed.

Just ask Nintendo what an "Unprecedented" partnership with EA entitles. If EA comes up to your company and says, "hey, do you want to partner up?" You should punch them in the nuts and go, "nah bro, I'm good"

Why should anyone have to sell anything they just bought? That in itself adds an inconvenience expense that a $50 sale does not cover. No deal.

Not to mention, who are they going to sell an X1 kinect too? It comes in every box lol

Striek

Pretty sad month outside the hardware sales of the new systems. Scary times for the big publishers, and thus a lot of hard working people.

The collapse of the older systems, failure of Wii U & Vita to launch by such a large degree, and the declining fortunes of already mediocre 3DS sales would all have been completely unexpected even a couple years ago when investments were taking place.

Silky

Banned
It had 2 GTA games, Vita can only dream of something like that

DS had one GTA game and it's one of the best reviewed DS games on the market.

I can guarantee you GTA doesn't sell handhelds especially if those two PSP games got PS2 ports like what, months later?

reKon

Banned
you think it's crazy now... wait until Sony gets on their 2010-2011 shit.

Do you remember?:

Killzone 2, Demon Soul's. Ratchet and Clank: ACit, Uncharted 2, God of War III, Gran Turismo and a lot more...

I still maintain that if Sony launched the PS3 at the same time as the Xbox 360 and hypothetically, their entire line up would shift up a year, I think the PS3 would have outsold the Xbox 360 sooner worldwide, there would have been more competition in the US, and the PS3 having no games wouldn't have been a meme that lasted until 2011. The $599 wouldn't have mattered as much because consumers would have actually done a closer comparison to see that one console had a blu-ray player and free online. By the time the PS3 rolled out, it didn't have shit for a year and gamers were not going to play an extra $100 for console that had no big exclusive and lacked an Xbox Live kind of community.

This gen Sony was able to launch a week earlier and launch at very surprising price of $399 ($200 cheap than the launch price of the PS3 and when you factor in inflation, it's crazy how well it's priced for a launch console). Last gen Sony started doing pretty well world wide when the exclusives were pumping. This gen, Microsoft is going to be a very tough spot if they don't make good decisions and avoid game changing opportunities.

I bet though that if they were both $399, it would be neck and neck

A former high profile gaffer that has inside info and was recently banned says that the Vita was out of stock and most stores are waiting for the new model. Will go back to the 20K "ghetto" by May.

Orayn

marginally better?

PSP had plenty of western support. It also got two GTA games, which are extremely popular in the west.

It is kinda useless to compare the sales of a handheld like PSP in a time when mobiles/smartphones weren't the norm unlike now.

Yeah, this is kinda my conclusion about the whole thing. Smartphones and tablets hurt the DS->3DS transition pretty badly, but they positively maimed the PSP.

Everyone who wasn't part of the "core" and strongly attached to the system was just got sucked out of the airlock, into the alien vacuum of mobile space.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
You expect them to:

1. Bundle the game, not at release, but a month later
2. Knock off $100 while including the game

Well alright then.
No, I dont expect them to do either.

We may get a 299.99 MK8 bundle on release day, yay....

Was this posted?

MncQtKX.png

Maybe this is a new first step under the new leadership. A more humbled Xbox Team.

AniHawk

Don't even joke about it -_-

i mean it's probably going to happen (hitting 2m). maybe the new system will give it a second life. maybe the games coming out will give it nice word of mouth. but the system's dropped down to a third of what it was doing just a year ago. at this rate it's probably not what can sell the system to a large audience, but how long sony will be able to keep it on shelves.

3DS is above where the PSP was at this point by ~700k.

i expect nintendo to pull the plug on the machine whenever they replace it.

What was PSP's LTD here?

i want to say 17m. it's been a while since i've checked.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
A former high profile gaffer that has inside info and was recently banned says that the Vita was out of stock and most stores are waiting for the new model. Will go back to the 20K "ghetto" by May.

There's truth to that.
Even Amazon is out of stock of the Vita. Only 3rd parties are selling it.

April says are going to be even worse than March.

Replicant

Not really what I'd call a waste, just wasn't enough.

They also did a lot of TV and movie advert and store displays tho. Not sure what else they can do apart from radio ads. I wouldn't know if they had one or not though. I don't listen to radio but I assume MS wasn't that desperate to use radio ad on top of their bus/tv/movie/store display advert.

MercuryLS

Banned
DS had one GTA game and it's one of the reviewed DS games on the market.

I can guarantee you GTA doesn't sell handhelds especially if those two PSP games got PS2 ports like what, months later?

Sony released a lot of first party titles on PSP along with decent 3rd party support and no competition from mobile. Releasing Vita was a mistake, there's no market for a device like this anymore.

Chinatown Wars dropped to $20 or so pretty quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if it did about as well as COD4 for DS, which I seem to recall doing surprisingly well on the discount rack at Target.

Silky

Banned
Sony released a lot of first party titles on PSP along with decent 3rd party support and no competition from mobile. Releasing Vita was a mistake, there's no market for a device like this anymore.

There's definitely a market I would think but SoA isn't giving it the push that the thing needs like the PSP had. Which is a shame

erawsd

Devil's advocate: The PS3 gave up a year head start to the 360 and also had a bit of a rough launch, but managed to catch up world wide over the long run.

While I don't see Xbone doing the same thing, large-ish comebacks aren't completely unheard of.

The PS4's lead is already huge, though that's also a situation we haven't faced before since we're currently experiencing one of the most front-loaded console generations ever.

It's all a Brave New World, like the Iron Maiden song. Not the book, Iron Maiden is better than books.

Yeah but Sony caught up due to how poorly recieved the Xbox is in the rest of the world. 360 was able to maintain its dominance in North America and Uk -- you can prob count on one hand how many months the PS3 has led the 360 in NA.

In this case, the rest of the world still prefers Playstation and now NA + Uk are in agreement. Which will make it much harder for MS to turn this around.

Nocturno999

Polygon has published some solid investigatory pieces of actual journalism done by competent writers.

Needless to say, that level of quality isn't exactly consistent across the entire site.

I noticed that inconsistency too, although I don't think they are really that bad and won't change anything in the grand scheme of things.

Orayn

Hopefully, bone is holding back PS4/PC.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. The PS4 is being indirectly "held back" by devs erring on the side of parity, but I don't think the difference in specs is large enough that multiplats are actually losing features to accommodate the Xbone.

Top Bottom