• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Meus Renaissance said:
Personally I was hoping for more with RDR. 1.5million in the first month and considering sales will be heavily front-loaded, I doubt it'll make sell 4 million this year. It deserves a lot more. Slightly surprised about how hard AW bombed. 360 doing well against the PS3 also
Why is anyone surprised? I didn't even know the game came out until a week or so after launch. It's been in development so long that the hype train left the station.

Busaiku

Opus Angelorum said:
Not exactly.

No-one knew when it would be released, but it was certainly known to exist (unofficially).
A rumor probably wouldn't affect the buying habits of most of those that did purchase a 360 in May.

[Nintex]

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Except that this is nothing like the Saturn launch because the 360 was released 5 years ago and there's something to the tune of several hundred games released for it already.

But yeah, other than that, it's exactly like the Saturn releas.

:lol
I can't wait for us both to smile during the relaunch of the 32x at the end of this year. After all overpriced products with no demand based on focus testing and hipsters are sure to be a huge hit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PSP is sort of reality constrained at this point. It has no retail space, it's in the little dirty corner of the gamestops and it's beneath piles of Miley Cyrus DVDs at walmart.

[Nintex]

Y2Kev said:
PSP is sort of reality constrained at this point. It has no retail space, it's in the little dirty corner of the gamestops and it's beneath piles of Miley Cyrus DVDs at walmart.
But can't you feel the momentum in the air, the growth, the potential!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Y2Kev said:
Tell that to Sony.

Vinci

Danish
Y2Kev said:

I bought one by accident, actually. Went for a Miley Cyrus DVD, got a PSP instead, and didn't even notice till I got home. My daughter was fractured.

FrankT

With 1.5 in the US first month it probably cleared 3 million WW first month. I could certainly see it doing at least another 500k in June US total and likely the same for the rest of WW sales. So 4 million is likely pretty easy at this point. Now outside of RDR, SMG2 and perhaps MGS it's going to be a poor, poor month for June NPD.

Y2Kev said:

It has a nice spot in my local Target, but that is about it. In the west it's pretty near flatline really. Still surprised by no PSP2 at E3.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Damn, PSP is has dead as they come. Solid numbers for RDR and SMG 2. I contributed to Wii sales this past month. :D

Busaiku

Y2Kev said:
Those Lilac PSP bundles were great.

Jtyettis said:
With 1.5 in the US first month it probably cleared 3 million WW first month. I could certainly see it doing at least another 500k in June US total and likely the same for the rest of WW sales. So 4 million is likely pretty easy at this point. Now outside of RDR, SMG2 and perhaps MGS it's going to be a poor, poor month for June NPD.
There was a MGS game in June?

TeethMummy said:
Why is everyone already calling Alan Wake a bomb? It's not like it didn't chart, and we don't have any numbers.

It could be anywhere from 150K to 80K...
Not exactly good considering the length of development, the hype and the marketing.
And, unlike SMG2, it's unlikely to chart again.

Beth Cyra

Jtyettis said:

This might do well by PSP standards, but no way does this do big numbers. Hell the last game to break top ten was Dissidia at around 150K was it not? I could see MGS doing that or a bit more but no way does it reach numbers that are anywhere close to be considered good when compared to any other platform except PSP, or maybe 3rd Party Wii software.

ampere

Busaiku said:
A rumor probably wouldn't affect the buying habits of most of those that did purchase a 360 in May.
Fair enough.

I still am going to agree with Vinci here and say that if the 360 outsells the Wii it won't be for more than the month of June. I personally bought a 'slim' 360 to replace my long dead RROD launch unit and conversely my roommate just bought a Wii because of all the game announcements at E3 and the allure of the black model. I expect many people on both sides of this to have run out during June and picked up their new consoles. A shortage of the new 360 model could also make it difficult to outsell the Wii, not sure if there were severe shortages but it does appear that supply was not able to meet demand.

June's sales will be certainly be interesting regardless.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Jtyettis said:
You expect Peace Walker to put the charts on fire? It must enter top 10 first.

FrankT

Hellsing321 said:
There was a MGS game in June?

Wait was it May 25th? Oooh.

Chris1964 said:
You expect Peace Walker to put the charts on fire? It must enter top 10 first.

I though it was June my mistake. I was thinking maybe top 3-4. Guess I was mistaken heh. I mean I was comparing a new release to almost nothing after looking at these numbers. :lol

Y2Kev said:

Sony should just give it up at this point. . . well at least we can expect many more months of this before they announce psp2. Sony solja-boy ftl.

ampere

AceBandage said:
Holy fuck at the most recent youtube comment :lol

Not a huge fan of the adds though, I guess June sales will tell us if they (or any E3 announcements) had any positive impact.

CadetMahoney said:

Sony should just give it up at this point. . . well at least we can expect many more months of this before they announce psp2.
If the rumors of the PSP4000 model are true, it might still be quite a ways away. I'm eager to pick up MGS:pW and P3P but the console's price is just too high for me to justify right now.

Busaiku

Jtyettis said:
I'm thinking it's just going to be Galaxy 2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chris1964 said:
Tell that to Sony.
Well I would but sony doesn't post here. :)

PSP marketing campaign is like trying to lazarusssss the thing

Toys R' Lazarus is the PSP store

GDGF said:
There's the Metal Gear one too.

There's also the first one where Marcus is hired or whatever. I've seen them all on TV.
Yeah, I only posted that one because the others were shown already at E3. They're all terrible. The PSP is a great system, but the only convincing those commercials are going to do is of the opposite.

AniHawk

Boy this generation, the handheld war really played out differently than it did in the heads of everyone.

Also, looks like I have my answer to why RDR isn't $20 cheaper yet. God dammit (but good for the guys behind it, of course, I just have to wait is all).

Banned
Jtyettis said:
It's coming off the best first quarter it's ever had in the US so yea 5 years in it's more than holding steady.

Amazing since it is the same price as last year.

Y2Kev said:

It's more like poking it with a poking stick, but you aren't poking hard enough.

Beth Cyra

Y2Kev said:

If that add with Marcus actually works, I am going to truly hate my fellow americans.

Vinci said:
That's why I was asking. Without a price-drop, the 360 Slim might not have outsold the Wii for even a month though.
There's no reason to buy an old-model 360 now that the slim exists, no matter the price.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
NeoUltima said:
Wasn't paying attention in May, but was it still supposedly a bad month for Ps3 supply?
Either way, supply issues were undoubtedly solved in June, so should be interesting to see those numbers.
Supply issues have been solved since April at least. Either that or it is selling so well in the rest of the world that SONY can't even get 200k to NA.. which seems unlikely.

Vinci

Danish
CadetMahoney said:

Sony should just give it up at this point. . . well at least we can expect many more months of this before they announce psp2. Sony solja-boy ftl.

What PSP2?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Jtyettis said:
Wait was it May 25th? Oooh.

I though it was June my mistake. I was thinking maybe top 3-4. Guess I was mistaken heh. I mean I was comparing a new release to almost nothing after looking at these numbers. :lol
I think it was June 8.

Top Bottom