• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

Mileena

Banned
Kusagari said:
I doubt the online vouchers had anything to do with it. UFC is simply not a franchise that needed a new release every year. It isn't Madden or Fifa.
Madden and Fifa don't need a new release every year either :/

Averon

Kusagari said:
I doubt the online vouchers had anything to do with it. UFC is simply not a franchise that needed a new release every year. It isn't Madden or Fifa.

More like Madden and Fifa are the only franchises that can get away with yearly incremental updates.

Well, I can understand Madden selling every year because fans want to follow the season. FIFA is just a monster in the rest of the world. At least it's a great soccer game.

But I also think UFC doesn't need a installment every year. This is what happens when they try to milk everything.

Boney

Banned
chubigans said:
ONLY MARCUS CAN SAVE US NOW

PS9a55b527fb914cde8f9890c2506700b2.jpg

MARCUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
This is going to be the biggest disaster for the whole year. Move won't even come close.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Isn't that the kid from Role Models?
He had also part in Human Giant and played Tracey Morgan's son on 30 Rock, he's a pretty funny kid.

Snuggler said:
Isn't that the kid from Role Models?
He had also part in Human Giant and played Tracey Morgan's son on 30 Rock, he's a pretty funny kid.

Too bad he's stuck in these awful commercials.

Culex

Banned
Terrible numbers for PSP. Hard to believe things are polar opposite in Japan.

I'm betting less than 50k for June.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Those hardware numbers are shitty, but to be expected heading into the summer months. I suppose the new 360 ,ay give it a bit of a boost but I suppose the numbers will be similar.

Akia

I think Kotick is going to start lobbing heads at Bizzare Creations because of Blur bombing and the lack of UK tax breaks.

Snipes424

It's really strange to me how the PSP sales in the US and Japan couldn't be more opposite.

But if Sony decides to drop support in the US and focus more on th PS3, that is totally fine with me, but I doubt many people would agree with me.
especially the ones who own PSPs

Empty

I don't understand why Sony doesn't have a PSP2 ready right now, having announced it at E3. The PSP is beyond dead in north america, and they are about to give the 3DS an unchallenged lead into the next generation of systems; it's madness.

Barrett2

Will be interesting to see if Peace Walker cracks the top 10. I mean, there's still got to be some people actually buying PSP games, right?

operon

With NPD not counting the PS2 anymore and PSP as god as dead, is that the end of the "playstation family" pr garb we get from sony.

Publishers take note summer bad time to release games

Akia said:
I think Kotick is going to start lobbing heads at Bizzare Creations because of Blur bombing and the lack of UK tax breaks.
Yeah. I expect the same with Raven and Singularity. But everyone was saying that Bizarre Creations shouldn't have sold their soul to Activision.

But Raven has a back-up plan. All they have to do is say, "We'll make a Call of Duty," and Kotick will forget Singularity just bombed!

Empty said:
I don't understand why Sony doesn't have a PSP2 ready right now, having announced it at E3. The PSP is beyond dead on north america, and they are about to give the 3DS an unchallenged lead; it's madness.

Honestly makes me wonder if they are even going to bother with a PSP2 any time in the next 4 years.

Barrett2

HallucinatingElvis said:
Go check out the gamecrazy liquidation sale if you have any near you, I just picked up a brand new white go on Saturday for 125.

Wow, that's quite a deal. I love my Go, it's a great system. Just wildly overprised MSRP.

DMeisterJ

Banned
operon said:
With NPD not counting the PS2 anymore and PSP as god as dead, is that the end of the "playstation family" pr garb we get from sony.

Publishers take note summer bad time to release games
The PS3 is finally doing respectably enough to not have to need the PSP and PS2 to prop it up.

operon

DMeisterJ said:
The PS3 is finally doing respectably enough to not have to need the PSP and PS2 to prop it up.
But respectable isn't enough to say you beat the 360 this month, how the hell did they not capture the momentum of releasing some great exclusives, not planning enough consoles was mad

DMeisterJ

Banned
operon said:
But respectable isn't enough to say you beat the 360 this month, how the hell did they not capture the momentum of releasing some great exclusives, not planning enough consoles was mad
Who knows... I think they're just happy to be doing better than last year, and are hoping that GT5 and PS Move bring them good tidings this holiday.

Beth Cyra

DMeisterJ said:

I can see Sony as a whole feeling this way, but I doubt that SCEA really does. Even with the postive news they still have to say they are getting their teeth kicked in because no matter what they do they can't stay ahead of X360, and PSP has been bent over by the DS for so long it has long since given up struggling.

I really doubt that even now Jack Trenton would be exactly pleased.

AniHawk

DMeisterJ said:
Who knows... I think they're just happy to be doing better than last year, and are hoping that GT5 and PS Move bring them good tidings this holiday.

I think they're probably tearing their hair out at the utter frustration that this current gen wound up being for them.

Vizion28

Banned
Am I the only who had a hunch Sony was going to announce a PSP 2 but opted out - had a change of plans - once they found about the 3DS?

Averon

Empty said:
I don't understand why Sony doesn't have a PSP2 ready right now, having announced it at E3. The PSP is beyond dead on north america, and they are about to give the 3DS an unchallenged lead; it's madness.

To Sony, it's more about profit than market share at this point. My guess is that they're squeezing out as much of what's left of the PSP before moving on. They just now getting their gaming business into profitability, and I doubt they want to launch any money losing hardware again for quite a while.

reKon

Banned
LOL, why wouldn't you buy mod nation racers if you had a PS3? That game is amazing and has more content than a lot of $60 games...

lawblob said:
Wow, that's quite a deal. I love my Go, it's a great system. Just wildly overprised MSRP.
yeah, this a great little system. I've owned every version of the PSP over the course of the last 6 years and this is by far my favorite.

soldat7

azentium said:
Here are some of the titles released in May that did not chart in the top ten:

Iron Man 2
Lost Planet 2
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Split/Second
Backbreaker
Blur
ModNation Racers

Oh wow. pwnd

Beth Cyra

reKon said:
LOL, why wouldn't you buy mod nation racers if you had a PS3? That game is amazing and has more content than a lot of $60 games...

Me personally? Because the last time the hyped a play create share game the final product ended being trash at it's core, so I ain't about to trust them again on this nonsense.

markatisu

DMeisterJ said:

Not sure what is worse, the fact that the PS3 ever needed the PSP and PS2 to prop it up or the fact that PS3 is all Sony has left.

Hopefully we get a Top 20 like we did last month, even with no numbers it would flesh out how badly some games did

operon said:
Honestly, I think a lot has to do with ending production on the older PS3 model and starting production on a newer one probably screwed things up. Sony probably estimated X amount of consoles were needed, but ended up needing more than expected (probably based on the amount of parts ordered). And since their manufacturing was moving over to the updated PS3 model, it was going to take some time to fully get them out in the market. I just think all the timing was bad on Sony's part. Before the PS3 slim came out, it was already manufactured for quite a while.

Empty

AceBandage said:
Honestly makes me wonder if they are even going to bother with a PSP2 any time in the next 4 years.

yeah, but that would be like if the english army under henry v turned up to agincourt with just a couple of exhausted knights who could hardly swing a blade anymore.

reKon

Banned
TruePrime said:
Me personally? Because the last time the hyped a play create share game the final product ended being trash at it's core, so I ain't about to trust them again on this nonsense.

there's a demo and the final game is way better than the demo. just saying..

Top Bottom