• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

gerg

Vinci said:
I still say that, without a price-drop, the 360 Slim would not outsell the Wii. With the price-drop, it will. For one month.

Would a temporary price drop on old models (in order to clear out stock) really have that much effect?

People are really hating on the Marcus commercials?

I bought my brother a PSP, and now I'm fucking his wife. Thanks, Marcus!

Vinci

Danish
gerg said:
Would a temporary price drop on old models (in order to clear out stock) really have that much effect?

People have sort of taken that question the wrong way: When I asked if the Slim was accompanied by a price-drop, I meant that the Slim itself would be less expensive than the prior models. If that were the case, it would outsell the Wii; if it wasn't, it would not.

EDIT: I wasn't talking about the older models at all.

Busaiku said:
It's not the price drops, it's the fact that handheld hardware is down by about 50%.
You quoted before my stealth edit!

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
Hardware revenue is down 20% year-over-year, despite y-o-y unit increases on consoles. The cost of price drops and handhelds losing steam!

Mr. B

lawblob said:
Yo dog, that Third Berfday looking hot.

Has anyone seen a Marcus commercial on TV? Are they running yet?
I saw one a couple days after the ad campaign was announced.

Freezie KO said:

They're only slightly better than the squirrels/rat commercials.
And by slightly, I mean less than a percent.

Vinci

Danish
ciaossu said:
That'd be the first and last game they buy. See piracy.

Then they wouldn't buy the original game in the first place.

gerg said:
Yeah, the current Slim models retain their prices. A new Slim Arcade is still $199.

Well then, outselling the Wii is very questionable. ;)

Busaiku

Freezie KO said:

They've given up on trying to get people to play games entirely.

MechaX

Eh, the sales rankings are around what I expected with one exception (which I'll get to in a second). Congrats to RDR and Galaxy 2 for doing pretty well, and... Hm. Dunno what to think about Alan Wake at the moment. Less than 120k probably isn't great for a game that has been in development for so long, but who knows. Perhaps it'll pick up some slack in the June NPD as well.

Sony needs to fucking throw a Phoenix Down on the PSP, fast. And some how I really, really, really doubt the Marcus campaign is the way to do this. Such a shame, especially since the main reasons I even got a PSP in the first place are coming out this year (Birth By Sleep, Third Birthday, Persona 3 Portable, Valkyria Chronicles 2).

Also, I'm personally curious on how many people actually bought the PSP Go in the US...

ampere

Vinci said:
Then they wouldn't buy the original game in the first place.
If it came with a system? Granted, it was a silly hypothetical.

Chris1964 said:
This piracy excuse has become really boring.
It does seem really rampant on the PSP in particular, but maybe it's just bad marketing and no one really wants the thing.

offshore said:
Not unless you gave them a Go :D
Since I don't have any UMDs to begin with I would love to pick up one of these, but not at anything above $150 :X

Haunted

BBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRed Dead yay!

Galaxy yay!

yay for good games!

Missing Split/Second, such a good action racer. :(

Nintendo dominates hardware as usual, the UFC fatigue is because everyone's waiting for EA MMA, believe.

Pee Ass Pee is dead. Dead, I tells you.

Haunted

Also, MW2 sales finally subside, it had [has?] fantastic legs for a title in its genre.

Still outlasted by NSMB.

FrankT

YoY comparisons;

Despite the predictions of numerous analysts who predicted the U.S. video game industry would see at least modest sales growth in May, data from tracking firm NPD pegs the retail console business as down 5 percent year-over-year in May to $823.5 million.

Hardware took a big hit, with revenues falling to $241.5 million, a considerable 20 percent decline compared to last May. Software, which was expected to be May's strong point on the back of Red Dead Redemption and Super Mario Galaxy 2, was only up 4 percent to $466.3 million, with accessory revenue up 3 percent to $115.7 million.

Those new results put the industry down 10 percent on a year-to-date basis compared to 2009, with $5.56 billion in total earnings so far, with hardware down 20 percent and software down 6 percent.

Of course, everything is relative, as NPD analyst Anita Frazier points out. "Although down this month, May sales reflect the third best-selling May on record after May '08 and May '09," she wrote in a research note -- although this May's 5 percent decline comes after May 2009 had already seen its revenue drop 23 percent from $1.12 billion in 2008.

As far as platform comparisons, Frazier also noted that the Xbox 360 platform, including software and hardware overall, "contributed the greatest share of revenue to industry sales for the month, and year-to-date." Meanwhile, the PlayStation 3 platform has seen the most improvement on a year-to-date basis.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._In_May_As_Red_Dead_Redemption_Tops_Chart.php

As one of the public detractors of Alan Wake's sales fortunes, I've gotta admit some surprise at it making the Top 10. Mind you, it achieved the sales target I was expecting... just didn't expect the epic collapse of everything else on the market.

Lost Planet 2's numbers are especially curious given the fact that it boasted a prominent ad campaign, was a sequel to a previous #1 selling title, was a shooter with exclusive Gears of War-content tie-in on X360 and was available for most of the month.

This could indicate a general public rejection of FPS-style games that aren't Halo or Call of Duty that could bode ill for many of the clones we saw throughout E3.

Or it could just be indicative of Lost Planet 2 being a lousy game.

BTW, 2D Mario > 3D Mario in terms of audience draw. Galaxy 2 will have legs but not at the level of NSMB Wii (which will be outselling it regularly no later than August).

Beth Cyra

MechaX said:
Eh, the sales rankings are around what I expected with one exception (which I'll get to in a second). Congrats to RDR and Galaxy 2 for doing pretty well, and... Hm. Dunno what to think about Alan Wake at the moment. Less than 120k probably isn't great for a game that has been in development for so long, but who knows. Perhaps it'll pick up some slack in the June NPD as well.

Sony needs to fucking throw a Phoenix Down on the PSP, fast. And some how I really, really, really doubt the Marcus campaign is the way to do this. Such a shame, especially since the main reasons I even got a PSP in the first place are coming out this year (Birth By Sleep, Third Birthday, Persona 3 Portable, Valkyria Chronicles 2).

Also, I'm personally curious on how many people actually bought the PSP Go in the US...

I did, I really hate myself for it at times, because I refuse to buy DD copies of games that are the same price as in store copies. So basically my Go has become my PS classics player, It is nice and all but certainly not worth the money in my opinion, at least for me until they make the Software reasonably priced.

=So...Alpha Protocol flopped then? That's a shame.

I was thinking about picking this up Friday. The review scores scared me off on release, but I'm a whore for these kind of games. The GAF impressions seemed positive, but I've been burned before in these types of situations where GAF praise seems at odds with critics. I don't know what to do.

Good showing by RDR. Good numbers by Mario, it will probably keep chugging at that speed for a long time. Too bad about Alan Wake, even though it broke the top 10, its numbers are probably far beyond expected considering MS's marketing push behind it.

And the lack of any of the THREE

Owzers

B-Rad Lascelle said:
As one of the public detractors of Alan Wake's sales fortunes, I've gotta admit some surprise at it making the Top 10. Mind you, it achieved the sales target I was expecting... just didn't expect the epic collapse of everything else on the market.

Lost Planet 2's numbers are especially curious given the fact that it boasted a prominent ad campaign, was a sequel to a previous #1 selling title, was a shooter with exclusive Gears of War-content tie-in on X360 and was available for most of the month.

This could indicate a general public rejection of FPS-style games that aren't Halo or Call of Duty that could bode ill for many of the clones we saw throughout E3.

Or it could just be indicative of Lost Planet 2 being a lousy game.

BTW, 2D Mario > 3D Mario in terms of audience draw. Galaxy 2 will have legs but not at the level of NSMB Wii (which will be outselling it regularly no later than August).

I played the multiplayer Lost Planet 2 demo and had a good laugh. If i were Capcom, after seeing Lost Planet 2 bomb i'd start to REALLY worry about Dead Rising 2.

Good showing by RDR. Good numbers by Mario, it will probably keep chugging at that speed for a long time. Too bad about Alan Wake, even though it broke the top 10, its numbers are probably far below expected considering MS's marketing push behind it.

And the lack of any of the THREE racers released is just sad.

PSP sales are beyond sad. It's like watching a dying animal on the sideway still gasping for breath.

Ninja: Forgot about LP2. Disappointing.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Blur is clearly going have better June sales than May.

Anyways, pretty much bombs across the board. Outside of Mario and RDR, everything either well underperformed or was dead on arrival.

Love this gen though, PSP is dead while DS is selling more in a month than it does all year:lol

Fredescu

GillianSeed79 said:
I was thinking about picking this up Friday. The review scores scared me off on release, but I'm a whore for these kind of games. The GAF impressions seemed positive, but I've been burned before in these types of situations where GAF praise seems at odds with critics. I don't know what to do.
That depends entirely on what you mean by the bolded. If you mean games with interesting dialog and narrative choices, buy now, run, don't walk. If you mean spy games, eh, wait for a price drop. It will happen.

Eteric Rice

B-Rad Lascelle said:

Does this mean that the shooter-fest might be coming to a close?

THANK GOD.

Don't get me wrong, I like the ocassional FPS and TPS, but for fuck's sake there's to many.

ampere

Meier said:
There is literally 0 chance it doesn't. It goes without saying.
True, but
B-Rad Lascelle said:
is almost definitely true as well, if not by August then definitely by the holidays.

Meier said:
I thought it was impossible to even buy a new PSP that could play pirated games in 1-2 years now?
That's possible, I was somewhat whining about all the piracy the PSP has had over the years.

MechaX

ciaossu said:
It does seem really rampant on the PSP in particular, but maybe it's just bad marketing and no one really wants the thing.

It sucks that there's no real way to reliably analyze how much of an effect piracy has on the PSP in comparison to other PSP-related variables (piracy vs. poor marketing) or even in comparison to the DS's own user-base (for example, it could be that the DS audience simply is the type that likes to buy more games than pirate, assuming that piracy is a big issue here). Or maybe the entire handheld multiplayer focus doesn't work as well in the US as it does in Japan, etc, etc.

I'm just throwing random stuff out there, because I'm not 100% convinced the answer to the PSP's poor performance resides solely in marketing or solely in piracy or even if it's a combination of both. The system has quality games, but something's just not all the way there in the west.

TruePrime said:
I did, I really hate myself for it at times, because I refuse to buy DD copies of games that are the same price as in store copies. So basically my Go has become my PS classics player, It is nice and all but certainly not worth the money in my opinion, at least for me until they make the Software reasonably priced.

My biggest issue with the Go is that it relies solely on DD copies (I'm not even going to get into the debate of not being able to do much with existing UMD titles) and it's still a crap-shoot on whether or not a company is going to put the title on PSN in the first place. I mean, no Birth By Sleep or possibly other bigger titles? Huh?

B-Rad Lascelle said:

I think the answer lies more in the poor word of mouth and reception of the game more than anything else, especially if most of the buyers of Lost Planet 1 merely did so due to more superficial reasons (one of the "early" "next-gen" games and such allure, Capcom loyalty, testing the waters) and more players were skeptically waiting to see if Lost Planet 2 delivered (and in reality, did things even worse than the first game did in some crucial aspects). If Lost Planet 2 became a review juggernaut like Red Dead Redemption did, the game would have probably did a lot better than it did.

DMczaf said:
UFC 2009 First month
4. UFC Undisputed (360) – 679.6K
5. UFC Undisputed (PS3) – 334.4K

UFC 2010 First month
4. UFC 2010 Undisputed (360) – 221.1K
5. UFC 2010 Undisputed (PS3) – 192.3K

goddam
Didn't UFC have to online code thing? Hopefully they take is as no used sales=less new sales. :D
I say good, death to online vouchers.

Beth Cyra

MechaX said:
It sucks that there's no real way to reliably analyze how much of an effect piracy has on the PSP in comparison to other PSP-related variables (piracy vs. poor marketing) or even in comparison to the DS's own user-base (for example, it could be that the DS audience simply is the type that likes to buy more games than pirate, assuming that piracy is a big issue here). Or maybe the entire handheld multiplayer focus doesn't work as well in the US as it does in Japan, etc, etc.

I'm just throwing random stuff out there, because I'm not 100% convinced the answer to the PSP's poor performance resides solely in marketing or solely in piracy or even if it's a combination of both. The system has quality games, but something's just not all the way there in the west.

My biggest issue with the Go is that it relies solely on DD copies (I'm not even going to get into the debate of not being able to do much with existing UMD titles) and it's still a crap-shoot on whether or not a company is going to put the title on PSN in the first place. I mean, no Birth By Sleep or possibly other bigger titles? Huh?

I agree, though it has been less of a point to me because most of the titles I want are on there. Thing is I already have them on UMD and will not pay full price to get another copy. Just give me a 5 dollar discount, and I will pick up games. As it stands it feels like I lose buying from PSN instead of it being a win and that is just something I am not willing to do.

And before someone points it out, yeah brick and mortar wouldn't like that, well I understand but I am not opening up my wallet becaues Gamestop doesn't like it and paying full price for a DD copy of a game.

Beth Cyra

AniHawk said:
wait for metal gear solid 5 and god of war 5 and the incoming flood of 3DS ports.

I am assuming we will see quite a bit of this, but you don't actually think that will help the PSP much do you?

In fact I have believed since 3DS is involved we will see PSP ports to 3DS so that Devs help make up the money they lost on PSP dev, not really the other way around.

Kusagari

Game2Death said:
Didn't UFC have to online code thing? Hopefully they take is as no used sales=less new sales. :D
I say good, death to online vouchers.

I doubt the online vouchers had anything to do with it. UFC is simply not a franchise that needed a new release every year. It isn't Madden or Fifa.

Well, I think Red Dead deserves good sales and success. The attention to detail in that game is the most amazing I've seen in a game. A true labor of love and a work of art.

It's a masterpiece.

And I just knew Split/Second or Blur wouldn't place in the top 10. I wonder how much these sold. I can't believe the developers of Split/Second said their goal was to sell a million. It's a good racing game but that's a little too much! Disney doesn't have that much magic!

And I hope SMG2 has long legs. Look at New Super Mario Wii still placing on the charts! I doubt SMG2 can do that but I hope more people give it a try.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
TruePrime said:
I am assuming we will see quite a bit of this, but you don't actually think that will help the PSP much do you?

In fact I have believed since 3DS is involved we will see PSP ports to 3DS so that Devs help make up the money they lost on PSP dev, not really the other way around.
You do realize you just replied to AniHawk right?

Beth Cyra

Jive Turkey said:
You do realize you just replied to AniHawk right?

I can never tell if he is being serious or not, that and regardless of his post I do think some people believe that this will help the PSP, just like Wii may have helped the PS2. So I added in my own idea of what will happen simply because I could, not because I was replying to AniHawk really.

dexterslu said:
Really shocked to see the THQ numbers that low, felt like their marketing blitz had taken some notes right out of EA Sports annual Madden blitz. I wonder if this could be some foreshadowing to some really low NCAA and Madden sales this year..
Madden sales should do fine this year (albeit they may be slightly depressed over years past).
Next year's Madden, though... with a season-long lockout looming?
Madden should take the year off in 2011.

Top Bottom