• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
We are not worthy of the numbers this month because only 9 pages...

4sou33x3.gif

50 post master race is now on 19 pages. ;P

XB1 is more family friendly than PS4. Think about the families that got 360s for Kinects. Some portion of that audience moved to XB1 likely. PS never really had that with PS3 and PS4 doesn't seem that different thus far.

Another possibility is the unmitigated success of Minecraft on 360 which released a good year and a half before other consoles.

The series on consoles seems somewhat associated with the Xbox brand (propagated by Microsoft's purchase of Minecraft).

Surely everyone who wanted to play Minecraft has bought it now?

Young children growing into the genre provides Minecraft with a steady supply of new buyers, especially as it spreads around schools via word-of-mouth like wildfire.

Someone want to explain to me why Minecraft usually sells from best to worst in this order 360,PS3,XB1,PS4?
I can see last gen numbers being dictated by install base but why is XB1>PS4?

EDIT: Not bait. Genuinely curious (and uninformed).

Might be an indicator that parents buying consoles for younger children (as gifts or otherwise) are more likely to get XB1's, which isn't entirely unreasonable given that the XB1 is more commonly available on sale.

Particularly when you're talking about children under the age of ten, price would seem to be the most heavily-weighted factor. These are consumers who probably would have gone with Nintendo consoles in the past, but the Wii-U just has such low visibility they probably don't consider it.

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned a Splatoon Amiibo sales. If the game is charting at five within only two days Nintendo is also making a few extra bucks with the toy sales as well. If they keep focusing on these titles that support Amiibo they can sustain healthy revenue despite hardware sales being utter shit.

A huge part of the revenue is from the first month, true, but saying "the vast majority of sales for AAA titles is from the first month" is completely inaccurate, having legs doesn't mean quadrupling your first month sales, it just means that the games continue to sell for a very long time.

Going by your definition, GTA V doesn't have legs because it sold 29 million units in its first month, which is more than 50%> of its sales including the next gen re-release.

Oh ok seems like we have reached sort of a middle ground. My point was just that the first weeks of a game selling are normally crucial to its LTD since its in this period that the sales and attention to that game are condensed at its maximum. Both usually fall off sharply after the launch and the remaining sales of the title are defined by its word of mouth, potential costumers and price reduction.

Also saying that "the vast majority of AAA games have extremely long legs" is also disingenuous since then the meaning of "legs" is kind of lost.

People are underestimating the legs on Minecraft, its on multiple platforms and it has the longest legs of any game on the market other than GTA V. Minecraft was 5th in April and 7th in March. Its a title which will continue to chug along on all platforms for a lot of time to come.

NPD May 2014
1. Watch Dogs (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PlayStation 3, PC)
2. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
3. MLB 14: The Show (PS4, PS3, Vita)
4. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
5. Minecraft (360, PS3)

NPD May 2015
1.) The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
2.) Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
3.) Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
4.) Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
5.) Splatoon (Wii U)

To be fair the game is sub $20 brand new

ethomaz

Banned
XB1 is more family friendly than PS4. Think about the families that got 360s for Kinects. Some portion of that audience moved to XB1 likely. PS never really had that with PS3 and PS4 doesn't seem that different thus far.
So why PS4 is selling more than Xbone?

Or do you thing Minecraft is a evidence for Xbone be more "family"...

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

LOL, my buddy bought a XB1 w/ Kinect for his young kid only to find out there was nothing family friendly for her. He then sold the Kinect to one person and the base XB1 to me. Guess he didn't get the memo.

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned a Splatoon Amiibo sales. If the game is charting at five within only two days Nintendo is also making a few extra bucks with the toy sales as well. If they keep focusing on these titles that support Amiibo they can sustain healthy revenue despite hardware sales being utter shit.

Not to mention Nintendo's increased focus on revenue diversification which maximizes the value of Nintendo IP, like merchandising, collaborations, and licensing.

Richie

It's just two days and physical/The States only, that's not bad at all!

The game is almost certainly beyond 500K worldwide right now.

NolbertoS

Damn impressive showing from Splatoon. Glad Nintendo is still keeping it real. I guess Hardware wise, Sony is gonna ride out that 399.99 price :'( I was hoping for a price cut by E3 with a 299.99 Black Friday price. Still gonna wait for better titles to come out. Too many remasters everywhere.

Not to mention Nintendo's increased focus on revenue diversification which maximizes the value of Nintendo IP, like merchandising, collaborations, and licensing.

Exactly. Nintendo has managed to save their bottom line entirely outside of pure video games, which is really impressive and is telling to where they will probably shift their focus towards in the future. Nintendo has basically created three titles (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and now Splatoon) which will generate sales for a long time even though the platform install base is relatively small. Amiibo, DLC, merchandise, and mobile apps associated with these titles will generate a solid revenue stream for some time to come.

Blue ocean strategy sort of dissolved with the collapse of the casual market, but they might have found a less obvious (and yes, less lucrative) alternative to help save their business.

You're definitely right. Since their library of games for the past 6 months doesn't have much games, families with Xbones will definitely go out and enjoy family outings together.

Top Bottom