• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

I'd suspect that digital sales of splatoonamoona for May would add another 10-15K? Then add amiibo sales and It's a great start for the IP

rhandino

Banned
NOOTALPS ~ 136K
81wlM3u.gif

Not great by any means but this could be the beggining, I can totally see Nintendo making a Splatoon game for generation a la Mario Kart / Smash =D

sörine

Banned
I'd suspect that digital sales of splatoonamoona for May would add another 10-15K? Then add amiibo sales and It's a great start for the IP
It's over 82k digital for the past two weeks if we go by the US eShop charts since it's above all the Humble Nindie Bundle titles.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So Splatoon (2 days of sales) debuted better than Pikmin 3 (115k - almost a full month) which was the most optimistic estimate for it some months ago in the NPD threads. Not bad at all, I would say.

Einbroch

Banned
So Splatoon (2 days of sales) debuted better than Pikmin 3 (115k - almost a full month) which was the most optimistic estimate for it some months ago in the NPD thread. Not bad at all, I would say.

It's really not fair to look at any predictions pre-marketing push.

The testfires, the marketing, the festival, the Direct, they really went all out with it.

Nintendo should be commended for the effort they've put, but honestly, the number is pretty average for how much money they put behind promoting.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
105K, not 115K.

Even better. When I searched in the August 2013 thread I found 115 somewhere.

It's really not fair to look at any predictions pre-marketing push.

The testfires, the marketing, the festival, the Direct, they really went all out with it.

Nintendo should be commended for the effort they've put, but honestly, the number is pretty average for how much money they put behind promoting.

Why it isn't fair? I looked at the most optimistic predictions (mine included - and I predicted that Nintendo will promote it), I didn't even touched most of them that said it will bomb.

Striek

Obligatory LOL consoles are dead post. Only 78% more serious this time.

Splatoon is a strange cookie. Normally a launch that low would be a big failure. But its on Wii U. It had a big marketing campaign. But it was almost surely not too expensive to make. *shrug*

LTD? I wouldn't be surprised if it did that this month. This is only two days, so it should still have some decent legs into June.

If we look at Pikmin 3's trajectory as a baseline, Splatoon will probably drop like ~60-65% between May and June.

If it doesn't hit 200K in June it will be just under 200K.

jjonez18

Splatoon's been promoted pretty well throughout June. Wouldn't be too far fetched to expect near 136k for next month (legs withstanding). I say respectable start.

Jon

Was hoping for about double that, to be honest. Hopefully word of mouth pushes some solid sales (at least as many for June). I am sure Nintendo was hoping for a "one million worldwide" number they could report for E3 in some sort of press release. Regardless, I would not expect Nintendo to abandon this franchise by any means.

I get the feeling it'll have decent legs for the remainder of the content rollout up until August.

Without a doubt. The consistent IV drip of content throughout the summer (and beyond) will keep in lots of conversations and twitch streams. I think ultimately it's smart of them to gradually roll out the maps/modes/weapons/features and not just from a sales perspective. It makes for a comfortable digestion process and keeps things fresh.

allan-bh

I understand why Nintendo didn't make a NPD PR. Splatoon number is not impressive, Wii U HW drop YoY and 3DS probably had a bad month too.

Top Bottom