• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

Splatoon's been promoted pretty well throughout June. Wouldn't be too far fetched to expect >136k for next month (legs withstanding). I say respectable start.

The first two days captures the Nintendo hardcore fanbase who are currently propping up the Wii U.

While Nintendo titles have legs, they tend to have a long tail. Repeating launch performance is unreasonable.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Quite good for a Wii U game. The bigger question is does it have legs?

Honestly considering it is a Wii U game it doesn't seem that great.

Wii U has seen a total of 3 new retail releases this year. I figured Nintendo being on the name and the fact there is literally nothing else would have pushed it even more. Still its not terrible and yeah it could have some good legs.

Welfare

bXNGdYE.png

PS4 152K

Wii U 42k

Splatoon launch is tough because it was only 2 days of sale. I dont picture a game like this being exceptionally front loaded. But I think 136k is pretty solid for a start. If it gets over 200k for june I would say solid chance it can have legs.

Nanashrew

Banned
Splatoon's been promoted pretty well throughout June. Wouldn't be too far fetched to expect near 136k for next month (legs withstanding). I say respectable start.

Aye. My friend went to see Jurassic World and was greeted by a full video about Splatoon and its features. It wasn't just some 30 second ad.

If we look at Pikmin 3's trajectory as a baseline, Splatoon will probably drop like ~60-65% between May and June.

If it doesn't hit 200K in June it will be just under 200K.

Bear in mind that Pikmin 3 had a full month of sales for its first month (it released August 4th), whereas Splatoon is only two days. And while some games can still do a lot of their business even in the first couple of days, Splatoon is a new IP and seems to be having good legs in Japan, at least.

I would think it should have a much smaller drop than Pikmin 3 for that reason.

No numbers eh? Must have been a close month then. Which is good for Sony/Microsoft. Don't wanna see any of them running away with this in America. A close race means good things. Wish Nintendo were doing better.

(Edit) Ahh I see the numbers now. Another close month then. Preseason football can be fun when its close like this, SuperBowl comes this Fall.

Bear in mind that Pikmin 3 had a full month of sales for its first month (it released August 4th), whereas Splatoon is only two days. And while some games can still do a lot of their business even in the first couple of days, Splatoon is a new IP and seems to be having good legs in Japan, at least.

I would think it should have a much smaller drop than Pikmin 3 for that reason.

I believe that Splatoon (like Pikmin 3) is more attractive to the Wii U hardcore than an evergreen like Mario Kart 8, and is therefore more front-loaded.

But you're right---I may be over-relying on that assumption. I don't think we can directly compare the North American and Japanese markets in this unique situation.

Welfare

Some stats!

XBO MoM drop was 26%

YoY rise is 81%

Weekly average

April: 187k / 4 weeks = 46,750

May: 139k / 4 weeks = 34,750

PS4 MoM drop was 13%

YoY drop is 23%

Weekly average

April: 174k / 4 weeks = 43,500

May: 152k / 4 weeks = 38,000

Wii U MoM drop was 2%

YoY drop is 31%

Weekly average

April: 43k / 4 weeks = 10,750

May: 42k / 4 weeks = 10,500

Boke1879

Poor hardware results all around. Damn

It's kinda expected imo. Witcher isn't going to move consoles.

Next month again will be interesting to see how much the PS4 sells. They are essentially giving Batman away with the purchase of a PS4. That may get people to jump. How much it'll sell remains to be seen.

I still think PS4 gets a price drop later this year.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
NOOTALPS amiibo cream?

And it did fuck all for hardware in the US, so...congrats?

I think he meant for this:

over 1.35 million worldwide for Splatoon? damn that's bold

:p

Anyway, Splatoon did what it did. Tremendous success in Japan, followed by a moderate launch in NA. Let's see if June will keep up those numbers.

Shauni

I think people who seem to expecting a huge drop next month for Splatoon probably don't realize that it was released on the 29th, so I would actually think a good bulk of sales will end up bleeding over into next month.

Next month again will be interesting to see how much the PS4 sells. They are essentially giving Batman away with the purchase of a PS4. That may get people to jump. How much it'll sell remains to be seen.

That is obvious, they are lower YOY it is time for a drop sometime this fall. There are a lot of people who will not buy a console at 399.

wachie

Some stats!

XBO MoM drop was 26%

YoY rise is 81%

Weekly average

April: 187k / 4 weeks = 46,750

May: 139k / 4 weeks = 34,750

PS4 MoM drop was 13%

YoY drop is 23%

Weekly average

April: 174k / 4 weeks = 43,500

May: 152k / 4 weeks = 38,000

Wii U MoM drop was 2%

YoY drop is 31%

Weekly average

April: 43k / 4 weeks = 10,750

May: 42k / 4 weeks = 10,500
Those legs by the Wii U. *clap*

Hardware sales all year are pretty weak. These consoles don't seem to be gaining all that much steam. We need price drops and important software ASAP or the market might stagnate quite a bit

I think people who seem to expecting a huge drop next month for Splatoon probably don't realize that it was released on the 29th, so I would actually think a good bulk of sales will end up bleeding over into next month.

I realize that it only had two days of tracking. As aforementioned, I believe that it's a title that has limited appeal outside of the Nintendo hardcore in the North American market, who purchase the title on day-one.

looks like i was overly optimistic this month with my predictions. About 36k over with the three console predictions combined.

Hopefully 3DS will be a bit more on point.

Tha'ts not how it works....game sales are very front loaded. Most coming from the first 2 days.

Top Bottom