• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
f_elz said:
momentum? i guess it will keep selling 400k~~

If the PS3 could maintain 400k a month, each month during Jan through the slow spring/summer months, I would say that's pretty huge, since I'm not even sure the 360 could pull it off.

angelfly

artredis1980 said:
Im sure you guys do know that NPD results DO NOT INCLUDE Walmart and Toys R US, which I think sell way more than a quarter of the consoles bought

Also another question, Did Microsoft, unlike Sony who dropped the price do ANYTHING to justify buying a 360 in November?

They did Mass Effect.

SRG01

The Innocent X said:
November. Of course the real kicker is that PS3 has had two price cuts vs none for 360 by september last year.

But dude, 360 was at a lower price point. That's understandable.

greepoman

minus_273 said:
how can these be the real numbers when in reality the PS3 is selling 1million a month to overtake the wii in 2011

LOL that chart never gets old....someone link it again...and we need some new fancy charts...come on people, you guys are getting lazy ;)

Zzoram

artredis1980 said:
Im sure you guys do know that NPD results DO NOT INCLUDE Walmart and Toys R US, which I think sell way more than a quarter of the consoles bought

Also another question, Did Microsoft, unlike Sony who dropped the price do ANYTHING to justify buying a 360 in November?

Microsoft just had it's games, and people bought them. Gamers like games, who would've guessed?

As for Walmart, they used to be in NPD so they have history sales patterns and demographic data, and Walmart tends to be more price sensitive so I'm sure that is taken into account.

SRG01

artredis1980 said:

They don't need to, aside from the usual advertising. With enough games, consoles sell themselves.

artredis1980 said:

WOW AWESOME I DID NOT KNOW THAT IW ONDER IF NPD ACCOUNTS FOR THAT SOMEHOW OR IF MICROF$T PAYS THEM TO NOT DO IT

Crisis

Banned
artredis1980 said:

I didn't know that. This is the first NPD thread I've actually participated in.

Zzoram

Crisis said:
I didn't know that. This is the first NPD thread I've actually participated in.

NPD has data from 60% of retailers, including Amazon.com.

You'd be surprised at how accurate extrapolations can be if you have historic Walmart sales data + 60% of the actual numbers.

Sharp

Xisiqomelir said:
My bad. Thought we'd be there by page 13 :lol

Here you go:

Wii: 6,019,685
PS3: 2,446,649
XB: 7,862,151
Huh, wasn't the Wii about the same amount away from the 360's LTD a year ago? Or I guess it couldn't have been, since it just came out.

Arde5643 said:
Don't worry about responding to him - anyone dissing SMG has either: never played it before or is just a troll.

Same can be said for anyone who believes that "its a shame" to see COD4 outselling SMG.

JeStaH

Happy to see Mass Effect numbers, almost half a million in 2 weeks is fantastic!

I know it's been said a few times already but it bears repeating. IMO Blu-Ray is to blame for most of the PS3's problems.

Next year when I get my new plasma I'm getting a PS3 because of Blu-Ray. If it didn't have Blu-Ray I'm not so sure I would be getting one because I already have a 360. As a gamer it's a great bonus that it will play a bunch of great PS3 games as well Blu-Ray.

How many non-gamers bought PS3's just for Blu-Ray? Now the PS3 userbase is segmented between gamers and non-gamers who may or may not buy games. How can this not affect the attach ratio?

With a Wii or 360 you know that it was bought for the sole purpose of playing games. The same can't be said for the PS3 and I think software sales reflect that.

The Innocent X said:
November. Of course the real kicker is that PS3 has had two price cuts vs none for 360 by september last year.
And the 360 had yet to get a AAA system seller. The PS3 was already supposed to have 2 by September in Lair and Heavenly Sword, but the review gods smited them.

jett said:
Only thing I have to say is that PS3 owners are a fucking disgrace. Wii owners are better gamers than you fuckers. That's it.

Funny, when you market your system as a multimedia device you get... non-gamers! Amazing!

We go through this every month with the NPD's, for some reason people think that lopping a 100$ off the PS3 is somehow going to change its market position. The damage was done long ago and it cannot be undone, the 360 and Wii simply have too much momentum. Particularly with the games line-up they have.

In America the PS3 will always be in third place. Better luck next time sony.

MaX_PL

Banned
frAntic_Frog said:
perhaps the next ratchet/uncharted ought to be a mindless military-style shooter in the veins of COD4.....then perhaps the mass consumer sheep might care about it

wow stfu. stop trolling a game just cause it sells and doesnt appeal to you.

SRG01

The Innocent X said:
But what it means is that the PS3 is behind its cost curve, since Sony didn`t want to cut twice. ie going forward they have zero wiggle room

Oh, no doubt about it.

I was one of the people who called Sony out on their horrible pricing strategy with the 40GB unit. It makes absolutely no sense.

While they understandably needed to do something, all they had to do was lower the 80GB unit to $449 and re-engineer a slim price-reduced PS3 for the Christmas season. And as a lot of teardowns have shown, the chasis is clearly over-engineered.

orio7

Banned
Why do people expect PS3 SW to sell the same as 360 SW? 360 has 3 times the HW sold so PS3 SW is pretty much in line with 360 SW now.

Brak

Liara T'Soni said:
Is Mario not...Mario anymore?

Nothing will ever be more repetive in videogames, no matter what control scheme or design innovations they implement.
You've said some pretty loltastic shit in this thread, but this takes the motherfucking cake.

frAntic_Frog said:
perhaps the next ratchet/uncharted ought to be a mindless military-style shooter in the veins of COD4.....then perhaps the mass consumer sheep might care about it

I love Uncharted and Ratchet but CoD4 is the better game (better reviewed too)...

Zzoram

orio7 said:
Why do people expect PS3 SW to sell the same as 360 SW? 360 has 3 times the HW sold so PS3 SW is pretty much in line with 360 SW now.

only CoD4 and AC sold in line with hardware.

PS3 exclusives tank compare to 360 exclusives, and off the top 10, things skew towards 360 more if Rock Band 311K 360 and 70K PS3 are any indication.

fse

orio7 said:

cause its ... a playstation?

Crisis

Banned
orio7 said:

I think most people are impressed with COD4 and AC selling as well as they did on PS3. I haven't seen that many people who expected it to sell more than that.

argon

Xisiqomelir said:
My bad. Thought we'd be there by page 13 :lol

Here you go:

Wii: 6,019,685
PS3: 2,446,649
XB: 7,862,151

Wow

Will Wii catch up with the 360 by the end of 2008? Seems possible.

SRG01

JeStaH said:
Happy to see Mass Effect numbers, almost half a million in 2 weeks is fantastic!

I know it's been said a few times already but it bears repeating. IMO Blu-Ray is to blame for most of the PS3's problems.

Next year when I get my new plasma I'm getting a PS3 because of Blu-Ray. If it didn't have Blu-Ray I'm not so sure I would be getting one because I already have a 360. As a gamer it's a great bonus that it will play a bunch of great PS3 games as well Blu-Ray.

How many non-gamers bought PS3's just for Blu-Ray? Now the PS3 userbase is segmented between gamers and non-gamers who may or may not buy games. How can this not affect the attach ratio?

With a Wii or 360 you know that it was bought for the sole purpose of playing games. The same can't be said for the PS3 and I think software sales reflect that.

Who are you kidding? The costs for blue-diodes and BD drives have fallen significantly, as have Cell production costs. The chasis (including cooling) and supporting power electronics contribute to a significant chunk of the costs.

Seriously, I was surprised when the teardowns showed a copper heatpipe.

Uncharted deserved so much better :( GOTY for me still tho.

If i was a ps3 only owner i would feel extremely dejected right now.

how can ppl call Cod4 mindless when compared to ratchet? ratchet had ZERO challenge, no enemy AI and had no multiplayer. fucking idiots. Game was still good tho.

Top Bottom