• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

icecream

Public Health Threat
Son of Godzilla said:
Those estimates are low because everyone already knew that the PS3 didn't perform well during Black Friday, not because that's what people were expecting.
Why are people expecting it to outperform a console with a year head start?

466K (Nov 2007, PS3) versus 511K (Nov 2006, 360). And that's with the PS3 currently roughly tied with the 360 worldwide.

orio7

Banned
sonycowboy said:
PlayStation 2 496K
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 4 967K

Sony needs to have a PS2 re-launch at $89-99 and kickstart support again and they would be #1 in no time.

Loudninja

icecream said:

466K (Nov 2007, PS3) versus 511K (Nov 2006, 360). And that's with the PS3 currently roughly tied with the 360 worldwide.

Thank you,i really don't get most of people posts

GhaleonEB

Opus Angelorum said:
If the rumours that Epic and Microsoft's relationship wasn't so comfortable after Gears of War, I don't blame Epic for giving the PS3 exclusivity. I think they may regret that decision.
I don't think they wanted to go up against both Halo and Orange Box. And CoD4, for that matter.

harSon said:
Epic is pretty damn stupid for alienating the Xbox 360, especially after Gears of War sold 4-5 million. The game may do decently on the Playstation 3, but I have no faith after these last few months of software sales (I'm not part of the problem!).

Yeah, that was a terrible move on their behalf.

Honestly.....I don't see why they wouldn't at least consider going 360/PC exclusive with a possible Microsoft publishing deal. I honestly believe that this game, if marketed right, would have challenged COD4 on the 360....

Kosma

Banned
Mrbob said:
Besides GTA, I think DMC4 will be a good litmus test to see where PS2 owners truly have gone. Perhaps even a better test.

DMC games have been born and bred on the Playstation brand exclusively so far. If the PS3 version lags in sales comparative to the 360 version this is more troubling news for Sony.

You mean it % right not in total numbers? Because there is no way in hell that DMC4 will be close in numbers.

Vieo

What happened to those 100m+ PS2 gamers? Is it possible they're still playing their PS2s in their dimly lit basements, waiting for PS3 to hit $199? Or is it more logical to surmise they were cannibalized by DS, 360, and Wii?

Darkman M

harSon said:
Epic is pretty damn stupid for alienating the Xbox 360, especially after Gears of War sold 4-5 million. The game may do decently on the Playstation 3, but I have no faith after these last few months of software sales (I'm not part of the problem!).

Pretty much epic failed hard with this one especially being COD4 is running wild you'd think they would try to put it on as many consoles possible.

Then again im not sure how popular unreal is on consoles anyways.

Lefty42o

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
What? It's probably the deepest and most functional cover fire system so far, including one move that allows for fire while hanging over a ledge.

yeah but it wasn't fun. atleast in the demo, which is why i didn't buy it. and looking at its sales many others felt the same way.

SSM25

The Experiment said:
I'm not laughing at the game itself, which I hear is quite awesome (I never played it) but this was a game that was supposed to destroy the 360's momentum and cause a shift of the industry in general. I was laughing at the insane Sony fans, not the game or Naughty Dog themselves.

got a link to someone claiming that about uncharted?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Barnolde said:
Why didn't you fuckers buy Uncharted?!

I DID! And from the US no less :lol (I'm from AU)

Also, why are people surprised that the 360 software sales are high? Haven't most of us known from a long time ago 360 owners EAT games? I've got 19 of them with 25 arcades and according to some, that's not much :lol

Calen

ALeperMessiah said:
I'm pretty sure they ran one during NFL games sunday
I think I remember seeing an Uncharted ad during primo NFL ad time, too. R&C and Uncharted are both awesome games (I bought both.)

Nolan.

Speevy said:
I have to make a comment that the PS3 sales of Call of Duty 4 and Assassin's Creed are VERY encouraging.

Whether the PS3 bombed or not compared to the Xbox 360, there's no question that the PS3 SKU actually contributed to the profitability of these two titles.

Thats exactly what I thought after seeing them.

GhaleonEB

icecream said:

Um.

GhaleonEB said:
I don't think they wanted to go up against both Halo and Orange Box. And CoD4, for that matter.

I understand that, but didn't Epic say UT3 for the Xbox 360 was pretty much complete and they were just holding it back?

I guess they hope to have a two stage marketing for it.

pswii60

Dez said:
So I guess the PS3 isn't this gen's gamecube. It's software sales are quite the opposite - third party titles do better than Sony's in house games.

Sony's in-house titles last-gen were never previously designed to be huge sellers, but to instead expand their market and appeal to a wider base. Whether that's though ICO, God Of War, Buzz, Singstar or GT, the 'killer catalogue' rather than 'killer app' is where they excelled.

Problem for them this gen, is that while they could rely on third parties last gen for the exclusive 'killer apps' (GTA etc) while they fleshed it out with their own catalogue titles, this gen they're relying far more on their internal studios for exclusive killer apps, and that is where they're struggling.

Gears was the 'percieved' killer app that MS needed late 2006 to really get the 360 rolling as a viable platform for gamers. In 2008 for Sony, they have a few contenders that can't come soon enough. GT5, Killzone 2 and MGS4.

angelfly

Liara T'Soni said:

Honestly.....I don't see why they wouldn't at least consider going 360/PC exclusive with a possible Microsoft publishing deal. I honestly believe that this game, if marketed right, would have challenged COD4 on the 360....

The only reason it's not on 360 is Live being a closed platform.

harSon

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
If the rumours that Epic and Microsoft's relationship wasn't so comfortable after Gears of War, I don't blame Epic for giving the PS3 exclusivity. I think they may regret that decision.

Possibly. But 4-5 million units sold goes a long way in healing developer-publisher relationships :lol If the Playstation 3 version of Unreal Tournament 3 underperforms then Epic is basically going to be Microsoft's bitch for the remainder of this generation...

pDawg

I'm still in awe of the DS hardware numbers and the 360's software numbers. Glad to see Galaxy doing great opposed to the god awful numbers of Japan.

Tough times for the PS3. I expected it to sell a little better and Uncharted to be some where on the charts.

Grecco

GhaleonEB said:

It would have probably sold well anyways. Certainly better than the PC Version did.

djtiesto said:
Really sad that Mario Galaxy wasn't the best selling game this month, guess people never get tired of same-ol-same-ol realistic military FPSes...

Is Mario not...Mario anymore?

Nothing will ever be more repetive in videogames, no matter what control scheme or design innovations they implement.

SRG01

Oh, and I forgot this little tidbit:

PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 4 967K

castle007

Banned
icecream said:

Loudninja said:
Thank you,i really don't get mots of people posts

:lol

Arde5643

djtiesto said:
Really sad that Mario Galaxy wasn't the best selling game this month, guess people never get tired of same-ol-same-ol realistic military FPSes...
Well, COD4 is not the same ol same ol military FPS though.

In any case, for the next COD, it seems they want to test the mettle of FPS fans by releasing another WWII variant.
I wonder if they're not quaking in their boots right now with how well COD4 is raking in the dough, or perhaps they're just too blind by the dough to see that people are bored by WWII variants by now.

Zzoram

oo Kosma oo said:
You mean it % right not in total numbers? Because there is no way in hell that DMC4 will be close in numbers.

DMC4 will sell better on PS3 by far in my mind for some reason. It just feels like such a Playstation game, DMC invokes thoughts of Playstation, and I'll be shocked if the Xbox 360 version sells well.

You can't gave it all, lots of quality software released this last few months, but Zack and Wiki, Uncharted, Rachtet and Clank, and yes, also Metroid Prime selling so low is horrible. :/ They all deserve better.

icecream said:

if it ever wants to get out of third place it kind of has to sell better than the others?

pswii60

Liara T'Soni said:

I don't think MS wanted the deal. Unreal Championship never did anything for the original Xbox, UT has never been big on consoles. I think Sony's interest was more in Epic getting UE3 up and running on PS3 rather than really wanting the exclusivity of UT3.

Zzoram

Opus Angelorum said:
I understand that, but didn't Epic say UT3 for the Xbox 360 was pretty much complete and they were just holding it back?

I guess they hope to have a two stage marketing for it.

All they need to do is take the PC version and slow it down to the PS3 version's speed. The port from PC to 360 is supposedly quick and easy.

Zzoram said:
DMC4 will sell better on PS3 by far in my mind for some reason. It just feels like such a Playstation game, DMC invokes thoughts of Playstation, and I'll be shocked if the Xbox 360 version sells well.

Will people buy a PS3 to play it if they already have a 360?

ivysaur12

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:
Is Mario not...Mario anymore?

Nothing will ever be more repetive in videogames, no matter what control scheme or design innovations they implement.

I don't think a person could be more wrong.

mood

icecream said:

Its not really even close.

fse

good numbers for 360, great for wii and ds... wow. ps3 numbers are about what was expected, pretty disappointing numbers though.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
omg rite said:
You guys are hilarious.

C'mon, cut 'em some slack. :lol

2008 will be fun times with numbers.

I'm really curious to see if PS3 can maintain its current momentum going into Jan/Feb.

Heck, December will be pretty epic too.

Top Bottom