• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Dizzy

Banned
Not surprised at xb1 with the price drop and deals. You simply get more for your money with these bundles.

Sony did good to keep the price so high for a year straight. I think it's time they dropped it though if the 51% xb1 percentage is true.

Mr Swine

Banned
Wow nice that Xbone is back! But I'm still very sad and disappointed to see that Smash Wii U didn't do anything for Wii U :(

How much did Vita sell this month?

Aw, just woke up, and it's a shame CBOAT got banned. Curse their meddling heart! A tiny sales gap was far more entertaining.

Well, a 300k-400k lead for the XO is very impressive though, I must admit. I'd figured on 200k at the most myself. Kind of weird why they brought up the UK as well then mind.

Still with such high sales I do wonder how big a loss they made. If $400 is roughly breaking even, and they were going for $70 dollars less than that, 1.2m sales would have lost them around $84m, and that's before adding on the cost of those free pack in games they'd need to have paid the publishers for, and all the tie in marketing, and the loss of revenue from free Gold subscriptions and Live vouchers.

Obviously they can't go on making such a huge loss, the Shareholders would be apoplectic, so I'm very curious to see where they go with this now. Price rise in January like they said, and just hoping that doesn't kill their sales momentum, or something else?

I cannot even comprehend the awfulness of the Wii U numbers. On the busiest shopping month with a huge game release.

what a disaster.

apart from the non existent third party support I have mostly come to think the console is fine... it is the marketing and the platform itself.

A. I am pretty confident outside of the gaming circle, no one even knows this thing exists

B. I'm pretty sure people people don't know exactly what it is

People know what an xbox and a playstation are. No matter what generation it is in, they are known brands. When Nintendo launched the Wii U, nobody knew what the hell it was.

Daffy Duck

How odd that CBOAT would claim what he did.

Pleased for MS though, very good numbers for November. December is going to be an interesting one for sure.

Riky

$MSFT
Pretty suprised with that gap, really thought PS4 woukd still win. 360 owners have had a good version of Destiny and nice ports of Titanfall and Forza Horizon 2 so probably haven't felt the need to upgrade as fast as PS3 owners this year. Really thought Wii U would have done better, has it even matched Dreamcast?

jrDev

2585816-ass%2Bsaurus%2Bin%2Bjurassic%2Bpark_6494b6_3846645.gif
Lmao what the hell is this and what is it from?

Imho, Nintendo isn't even trying compared to the competitors. The bundle awareness wasn't remotely near as aggressive, price is still too expensive. Microsoft and Sony commercials all over the place. Black Friday bundle deals everywhere. I mean the price for the Wii U is close to an Xbox One. Practically zero marketing and advertising. Where was the Bayonetta 2 commercial? No Wii U commercials either. I think I saw a Smash Bros commercial once, I think. I guess they are concentrating more on profit, breaking even instead of garnering marketshare.

Nice numbers for PS4 and Xbox One. I thought Xbox One would pull further ahead with those bundles and pricing, but still good nonetheless. I don't think it's going back up to $399 after this now.

Also, where is Dragon Age? I thought it sold reasonably well. If it really sold less than expected, this is why you should release all of your AAA games at the same time game companies!!!!!!! Not everyone can buy 5-10 games in the same week or month.

Guerrilla

Didn't think public perception of the 2 consoles was this close. So basically Ps4 -GtaV+TLOU (around 90$ together?) = 310$, Xbox one -AC:U+ Black flag (around 70$ together?) = 260$

So basically a 50$ value difference allowed xb1 to come out well on top, so if xb1 keeps the 349 price tag for a regular bundle compared to 400 for ps4 for a regular bundle, it should do very well in december and going into the new year. Unless Sony cuts the price of course which I don't expect to happen before e3 2015

joecanada

It is not a firesale though. It is a 50 dollars price reduction after a year, with limited 70 dollar sales on certain days in limited quantities at certain retailers, with typical holliday game bundles in the mix.

Removing Kinect and selling the console at 100 dollars less does not equate to a 100 dollar discount. Despite any greivances people have with Kinect, that hardware is not cheap. And these claims of MS taking a substantial loss on the XOne holliday deals seems to be assumed, and not substantiated.

So their aren't free games included?

Biker19

Banned
Do we think Sony might exit the gaming industry after this heavy loss this November?

Nah. Just because they lost one month in one continent due to Microsoft being desperate doesn't mean anything. They still have worldwide which is much bigger.

What's really more important is that they made more profitability while Microsoft's been losing some due to the $350 price tag along with constant deals, etc.

Didn't think public perception of the 2 consoles was this close. So basically Ps4 -GtaV+TLOU (around 90$ together?) = 310$, Xbox one -AC:U+ Black flag (around 70$ together?) = 260$

So basically a 50$ value difference allowed xb1 to come out well on top, so if xb1 keeps the 349 price tag for a regular bundle compared to 400 for ps4 for a regular bundle, it should do very well in december and going into the new year. Unless Sony cuts the price of course which I don't expect to happen before e3 2015

GTAV/TLoU bundle only sold 340k.

DjRalford

Wasn't there a $349 unity bundle with 2 extra games on top though?

Emedan

Maybe. I am not an insider or something. Just analyzing the trend. But I see a definite price deduction though.

Wait what? Because MS won one month? That's not a trend.. Unless these price cuts for XBO sticks you can be sure the PS4 will outsell the XBO every coming months, that's what the trend points at

RBK

Banned
A slim model less than 2 years into a gen is unprecedented.

Anything's possible, but kind of a wild expectation.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
The trend that PS4 is outselling everywhere but two markets around the world for a single month?

Holiday season matters the most. If this trend continues with Xbone selling at a sweet price with games and shit, the gap in NA will be much closer. If I was in the position of Sony, I would follow a similar strategy.

Question is, how long will that last before PS4 starts outselling Xbox One again in NA?

Price drops, while they certainly help consoles that are underperforming in sales, only provides a temporary boost. Afterwards, it starts wearing off. History has shown that time & time again.

PS4 is strong but they will have to give some incentive if MS holds the 350 price point.

Do we think Sony might exit the gaming industry after this heavy loss this November?

No it's just one month. That's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. However, if they lose December as well (which is a real possibility now) then there's at least a chance they'll consider going third-party.

wapplew

If Xbox outsold PS4 for another 400k in December, they somewhat off-set all the lead PS4 got for the whole year with just 2 months.
Damn impressive and great strategy.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Holiday season matters the most. If this trend continues with Xbone selling at a sweet price with games and shit, the gap in NA will be much closer. If I was in the position of Sony, I would follow a similar strategy.

But what about the world where Sony is at something like a 2:1 lead?

Slash prices and say fuck it to profit?

joecanada

After many months of speculation on PS4 success such as the GPU, RAM, Mind share, the futuristic design, word of mouth and better multiplats. It all comes down to one simple overlooked answer which was PRICE

It was never overlooked, it's been common throughout generations that cheap consoles will sell. All PS4 has to do is match price to go back to dominating

stryke

Good thing you're not Sony.

Broank

Not really surprised with the big Xbox numbers. Bought the Sunset bundle myself and have 5 other friends that got various deals the last month. Seemed like the price drop put it over the edge.with a lot of people.

RBK

Banned
No it's just one month. That's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. However, if they lose December as well (which is a real possibility now) then there's at least a chance they'll consider going third-party.

Is Sony really in a dire situation like this?

Top Bottom