• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Didn't Sony lose money on every PS3 for ages and still lower the price?

That's what I like about PS4's strategy: be profitable from day 1. I like how they more or less adapted Nintendo's success but without skimping on the hardware. I've always felt that selling a console at a loss is an odd decision. You sell goods at a profit unless there's a really good reason to. PS3 was a catastrophe in that regard.

But I don't know what this has to do with what I wrote in my first post.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Not by 400K thou.

Ehh...people were guessing that high. Even I said that MS would deserve kudos if they outsold PS4 400K+ and they did.

The number is not that surprising (personally). They were practically giving XBO away compared to last year.

wow Wii U @ 242k, holy shit.

The system is going to be, gosh, 18 million? 17 million? by the end of this gen? Catastrophic and tragic (as tragic as business things can get in gaming world terms anyway). Semi-depressed :(

Y3_N6_LKa.jpg

from 1st place last gen to last place this gen... my how fortunes can change

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just realized that on launch apparently Destiny sold more than CoD on PS4.

[PS4] Destiny ~891k + ~300k bundle = ~1191kk

[PS4] CoD: Advanced Warfare < 1170kk

Round numbers, so I'm not 100% sure.

we got figures for cod? 1.2mi is pretty good and it still lost to xbone and 360? how much did those two sell? O_O

THRILLH0

Banned
Every time I hear the words "competition is good," it makes me want to bash my head in with a toilet bowl cover.

Competition doesn't matter, as long as the end-user product is good.

Yeah I said it

Guys, electricity isn't important as long as things just turn on.

DrkSage

Wait what happened, can I get a brief summary of what happened while I was playing GTA v with some friends? I kinda left the thread around 30 pages in :p

MaulerX

Ehh...people were guessing that high. Even I said that MS would deserve kudos if they outsold PS4 400K+ and they did.

The number is not that surprising (personally). They were practically giving XBO away compared to last year.

Some were but were met with heavy challenge. The consensus was never settled at such a huge gap.

Putty

Well played MS. I'd of been staggered if they hadn't won given they were practically giving them away. December will be much much closer of course but who wins, toss a coin. January onwards I feel becomes the next phase in this new generation.

Kysen

wow just woke up, I knew it cboat was completely wrong. 400k difference ouch, really puts Sonys best months into perspective.

xxracerxx

Some were but were met with heavy challenge. The consensus was never settled at such a huge gap.

No consensus was ever going to be reached no matter what the numbers.

What it really boils down to was that this thread would be a whirlwind if PS4 took the month or the gap was smaller than 50K (which you can see evidence of being true in the first 30 pages).

No one was expecting chaos if XBO was in the lead unless it had overtaken the lead in the US.

wow Wii U @ 242k, holy shit.

The system is going to be, gosh, 18 million? 17 million? by the end of this gen? Catastrophic and tragic (as tragic as business things can get in gaming world terms anyway). Semi-depressed :(
Sorry, didn't see this post earlier.

But no.

17-18 million units would take sustained sales much closer to the Cube to be likely.

12-13 million units sold is the much more likely range. I question if the system will get to six million units in America by year five.

Loofy

I doubted it cause the retail musings thread said Xbox was far ahead and those things are never right.

Man, to me the Wii U is still the biggest news out of all of this. I thought with Smash, MK8, Bayo 2, amiibo Capt Toad and their whole back catalog that they could sell around 500k in the biggest shopping month. Instead Xbox One outsold them by one million units. God damn.

stryke

Sorry, didn't see this post earlier.

But no.

17-18 million units would take sustained sales much closer to the Cube to be likely.

12-13 million units sold is the much more likely range. I question if the system will get to six million units in America by year five.

I think it can be comfortably above 15 million after it reaches $99 status.

I doubted it cause the retail musings thread said Xbox was far ahead and I those things are never right.

I don't know, some of the retail musings sounded quite absurd. I mean, a difference of 400k is huge, but looking at it from a smaller scale, for every 10 XB1s, 6-7 PS4s were sold.

That's not a terribad ratio, but the fact that XB1 sold so many units amplified the difference in final count.

xxracerxx

Fair enough but what I'm saying is, out of all the predictions very few placed the gap that wide. Maybe I'm wrong.
I edited that post:

What it really boils down to was that this thread would be a whirlwind if PS4 took the month or the gap was smaller than 50K (which you can see evidence of being true in the first 30 pages).

No one was expecting chaos if XBO took the month unless it had overtaken the total lead in the US.

RM8

Man, to me the Wii U is still the biggest news out of all of this. I thought with Smash, MK8, Bayo 2, amiibo Capt Toad and their whole back catalog that they could sell around 500k in the biggest shopping month. Instead Xbox One outsold them by one million units. God damn.
When Mario Kart didn't change WiiU's direction, it immediately became clear nothing would, IMO.

I question if the system will get to six million units in America by year five.

I doubt it too.

There's literally nothing first party wise Nintendo can release to boost sales. Splatoon, Xenoblade will flop, Zelda will sell to the same demographic it has ever sold and beyond that there's nothing. Maybe Mario Galaxy 3? Nintendo should save it for their next console / handheld.

I think it can be comfortably above 15 million after it reaches $99 status.

I don't.

By Dec of 2015 it will be down at least 300k YoY. The year after, another sizable decrease. We just had the systems best year, and because of such low numbers we're never likely to see a price under $200 on store shelves.

edit: cost of production is more likely to go up than down at these numbers.

Usobuko

Banned
I remember someone mentioned the indie game effect where people are basically just waiting for great sales before they jump on Xbox One. We'll have to see what happens in 2015 for that.

I wanted to get one on BF but Nintendo's refusal to market XB1-like deals for their console was a huge turn off. No deal, no buy.

At this stage, even if they made XB1-like deals for WiiU, it's a lost cause.

It's better to just weather the storm, ensure healthy profitability, and make as much deals/improvements as possible for their next console.

Endo Punk

Deserving of a victory after the sales and price cut. Both MS and Sony will be on their toes to outdo each other in 2015 and I have feeling that we may get exclusives from them that will put the Tomb Raider and SFV rage to shame.

MaulerX

I edited that post:

No one was expecting chaos if XBO took the month unless it had overtaken the total lead in the US.

Again, maybe I'm wrong but negative XB1 news seem to make things blow up more than positive news. This thread sorta proves it.

Top Bottom