• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Prine

Banned
At least we can say the Black Friday musing thread was representive of a general trend. Also how does that infochart/whatchamacallit app fare? Bogus sample size?

rpg_fan

Which directors? I remember reading some garbage articles from a couple analysts.

This is probably what they're talking about. Nadella obviously hasn't caved to their demands, and may never. But the push is there, and real.

-edit- I really need to add a link...http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...osofts-new-ceo-to-kill-xbox-bing-and-surface/

There's more information out there, but I doubt they'll come up with the votes to make it happen. Unless Gates got on board, which doesn't seem likely.

Welfare

As of November 2014:

PS4's LTD in the USA is 5.62 million.

XB1's LTD in the USA is 4.89 million.

Therefore, the LTD gap between them is ~0.73 million.

There is no possible way that CBOAT would have meant "710K" or 0.71 million because he's ~0.02 million off from the real LTD...that's beyond the allowable margin of error or any applicable rounding error if he actually had numbers.

The only logical explanation is that he was sabotaged by some sort of third-party.
Ah, thank you :)

MS said that the 50 US$ price cut is just temporary, right?

Now that we know the November results: Who thinks that they will really go back to the 399 price tag?! Would't that kill any momentum the One just gained within an instant?

allan-bh

Now that we know the November results: Who thinks that they will really go back to the 399 price tag?! Would't that kill any momentum the One just gained within an instant?

Doesn't make sense go back for $399. People will not buy and wait for another price drop.

I think they will keep $349, but without bundle, just the console.

As of November 2014:

There is no possible way that CBOAT would have meant "710K" or 0.71 million because he's ~0.02 million off from the real LTD...that's beyond the allowable margin of error or any applicable rounding error if he actually had numbers.

The only logical explanation is that he was sabotaged by some sort of third-party.

Fucking EA!!

Thanks for clarifying. I really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt there. It's a shame though.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Doesn't make sense go back for $399. People will not buy and wait for another price drop.

I think they will keep $349, but without bundle, just the console.
The Xbox 360 had similar $50 breaks for at least two holiday seasons, and the prices went back up in January each time. The 360 was in an entirely different situation, however.

MS is poised to have another mega-holiday season with regards to sales in NA (and UK) 2015.

Halo 5
Forza 6
Tomb Raider
Possibly even QB
Possibly even Scale Bound

Not to mention the bevy of AAA 3rd-party games to come.

Their strategy of hoarding all these exclusive + aggressive pricing for the holidays is brilliant.

It actually works lol

We have to see how things go but i won't say it works .
From a profit stand point they losing out and if they get out sell whole year and then get back lets say half they still behind.
Then there going to come a point in time when consoles prices so low it not going to matter as much .

MS is poised to have another mega-holiday season with regards to sales in NA (and UK) 2015.

Halo 5
Forza 6
Tomb Raider
Possibly even QB

Their strategy of hoarding all these exclusive + aggressive pricing for the holidays is brilliant.

It actually works lol

Halo 5 bundle for $299 would kill in NA.

allan-bh

The Xbox 360 had similar $50 breaks for at least two holiday seasons, and the prices went back up in January each time. The 360 was in an entirely different situation, however.

I thought about it, but like you said is an entirely different situation.

Back the price to $399 sounds a suicide.

malfcn

If the average discount was $110 and they sold 1.2m that's $132,000,000. Assuming the average price was around $400 that's 330k units "given away" or lost sales revenue.

Worth it for the new revenue stream?
A few games, accessories and word of mouth can do wonders. The sales show how taking an up front loss to counter price sensitivity can help sales.

Of course, part of the sales could be Playstation owners now jumping in too. They already had their machine and were waiting for the green machine to be an attractive price.

*Numbers don't factor margins or negotiated deals, etc.

Any idea where Kinect Sports Rivals ranked?

Microsoft web store glitch...

They saw the spike in sales and green lit another sequel! Jk.

TomShoe

Banned
It still bothers me how Microsoft bunches all of their major releases into the holidays and leaves the rest of the year lacking. It makes business sense, but I wish they would spread out their releases so we could look forward to new things year round. During the shopping season I'm normally looking for deals on games that I passed on earlier, rather than new $59.99 stuff.

Game Guru

I am glad Microsoft did well and by a large margin since, assuming they stick with the new price of $350, that means that Sony will eventually lower the price of the PS4 so that XB1 does not get too far ahead in the US. All and all, Microsoft's win this month is good for consumers.

Sales parity is not competition, but the second-place company offering better deals for consumers than the first-place company is and being awarded with vast amounts of purchases by consumers because of it is absolutely competition.

Faustek

So the 20 year old sold see em kay?
Going by that fissure slowing down that is.

We talked about this issue a little earlier.

I wonder if it would be in bad form to have such a thread? Or if I should just make a thread with the intent of discussing how badly we're hurting our own art form while we wait for the bargain bins to appear before diving in.

It still remains to be seen if the XB1 can even catch up to the PS4 in its strongest territories: US and UK. Let alone bridge the ever growing gap in EU and other areas.

People forget that nearly 50% of 360 sales came from the states(?)

Suprised Dragon Age didnt do better. I think releasing a title like that at the same time of GTA and AC really hurt it.

To the poster who said he doesn't understand how Xbox does well in the U.S and UK markets, it's because more people are connected online there and play multiplayer. Most people in those territories prefer Xbox Live than PSN.

Lets be really clear. The UK has really shitty internet. I hate being forced to go there...but best effing beer culture though(sorry Belgians but good talk makes it better)

So the 20 year old sold see em kay?
Going by that fissure slowing down that is.

We talked about this issue a little earlier.

I wonder if it would be in bad form to have such a thread? Or if I should just make a thread with the intent of discussing how badly we're hurting our own art form while we wait for the bargain bins to appear before diving in.

People forget that nearly 50% of 360 sales came from the states(?)

and that MS had a year head start or nah?

As of November 2014:

Damn, they really made some headway quick. Was probably why they waited till November so it's the biggest shot fired, plus people are more ready to flow their cash for accessories, DL games, etc.

leobebes

Banned
It still bothers me how Microsoft bunches all of their major releases into the holidays and leaves the rest of the year lacking. It makes business sense, but I wish they would spread out their releases so we could look forward to new things year round. During the shopping season I'm normally looking for deals on games that I passed on earlier, rather than new $59.99 stuff.

Forget Microsoft, I wish publishers and devs would space out their heavy hitters more throughout the year.

That's why I love Rockstar. They've always released their games during May and always around my birthday!

-"Cumulative PS4 & Xbox One sales are now almost 80 percent higher than the combined total of PS3 and Xbox 360 sales after 13 months..." - NPD

Yeah, remember all that "Consoles are dead!" talk?
KuGsj.gif

Bgamer90

Banned
It is definitely 2015? Source?

also, the Halo, Forza, Gears never-ending cycle begins anew. How exciting. At least Sony first party is attempting new games in different genres. (Shrugs).

Both Sony and MS are. This is as silly as saying all Sony focuses on is Uncharted, Killzone, and Gran Turismo.

"Stop making sequels of your biggest/most popular franchises guys!"

KuGsj.gif

I love it. Both the Xbox One and PS4 did very well.

There is some question if this is, in fact, a healthy increase in the base.

If it's largely people who have no plans to get Xbox Live, people who will buy a handful of games ever, they may never make up the $ they just gave away. Like people who already have PS4s and have no plans to buy multi-plats on the One.

Aren't the biggest Xbox exclusives multiplayer focused games? Halo, Forza, Gears, etc.There is a very high probability they would buy live then.

JaggedSac

We have to see how things go but i won't say it works .
From a profit stand point they losing out and if they get out sell whole year and then get back lets say half they still behind.
Then there going to come a point in time when consoles prices so low it not going to matter as much .

Bear in mind, selling hardware at a decent loss was the modus operandi for the previous generations. It wasn't their plan during this one, but they are pretty much at where they were at 360 launch from the perspective of selling hardware at a loss in order to build a user base and hope to make money on them down the line.

rokkerkory

there's no way they will go back now, should be a $50 drop across the board and make it most territories

Chobel

Halo 5
Forza 6
Tomb Raider
Possibly even QB

It actually works lol

I know right, I thought it's a bad strategy but seeing the results here, holy crap! This strategy is actually good.

rokkerkory

Thanks!

Real late to the thread and trying to catch up, but just wanting to throw my own hat into the ring for a marker.

WIU - 37.6 degree
PS4 - 129.5 degree
XB1 - 192.9 degrees

Using 242K for WIU
=>
PS4 - 833K
XB1 - 1.24m

Going back to working through thread ...

Just realized X1 sold more than PS4 and Wii U combined? Wow

not bad not bad

Welfare

Thanks!

Real late to the thread and trying to catch up, but just wanting to throw my own hat into the ring for a marker.

WIU - 37.6 degree
PS4 - 129.5 degree
XB1 - 192.9 degrees

Using 242K for WIU
=>
PS4 - 833K
XB1 - 1.24m

Going back to working through thread ...
Why wouldn't you just use the Xbox number to get the rest?

kingkaiser

KuGsj.gif

Well, let's see

The console market as a whole is shrinking compared to last gen

PS4 and Xbox One sales are by far not enough to close the gap the Wii left

Software sales are disastrous compared to last gen (Software Revenue is down from $1.70 billion in November 2006 to just $1.06 billion in November 2014)

It didn't really hurt Sony in the first 6 months of 2014 but then Sony didn't have a credible competitor until the later half of this year. It's interesting times ahead I reckon.

Then what exactly was Infamous?

Bing is irrelevant and dying? lmao these comments man.

1). Apple, Yahoo, Facebook have already switched their search to Bing from Google.

Apple switched because of "Thermonuclear War" from Steve Jobs. Facebook switched because Microsoft invested in them. I would think Yahoo switched because they see themselves as a direct competitor at this point, but that one I'm not sure. In other words, no one switched because they actively wanted Bing, but because they either received money to switch or actively didn't want Google.

Well, let's see

The console market as a whole is shrinking compared to last gen

PS4 and Xbox One sales are by far not enough to close the gap the Wii left

Software sales are disastrous compared to last gen (Software Revenue is down from $1.70 billion in November 2006 to just $1.06 billion in November 2014)

Yeah man. That dude is cherry picking numbers instead of seeing the big picture.

dhlt25

Then what exactly was Infamous?

Apple switched because of "Thermonuclear War" from Steve Jobs. Facebook switched because Microsoft invested in them. I would think Yahoo switched because they see themselves as a direct competitor at this point, but that one I'm not sure. In other words, no one switched because they actively wanted Bing, but because they either received money to switch or actively didn't want Google.

That doesn't mean bing is irrelevant, it's actually a very relevant alternative to google search.

I know right, I thought it's a bad strategy but seeing the results here, holy crap! This strategy is actually good.

How many holiday seasons do you think they are willing to sell a console for 70 dollars off + 2 or more games + 50 dollar gift cards at retailers?

You speak as though this was all part of some grand plan. It was an urgent necessity to keep the mind share and brand viable before it was too late in the only market they have a chance in. At the very least if they can stay relevant in the US they have some life left otherwise it would be over.

Top Bottom