• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

I would love for Xbone and PS4 to basically be dead even in the US for most of this generation...imagine the quality of games and system features that would produce...

The exact same? I mean, the vast majority of games are multiplatform between them and I doubt being dead even will bring out the "best" in either company as much as being behind would

when they seen their competitor lower their price, and offered games for free. They should had matched it, or even lowered theirs further, but instead they kept the same price. I don't think I need to repeat myself on the quality of exclusives....Didn't they learn a lesson with the PS3, with the higher price? I call that arrogance.
The difference is Sony is still trying to make money with their system, not lose it.

LBP seems to have bombed. Not sure what they expected releasing it on that date with little fanfare.

Not sure how to feel about Dragon Age numbers. Probably low?

vin-buc

I wonder how Sony will respond (will they respond?). I could see a price drop to $350 after the holidays and a 1TB SKU for $399. Although I think that a game included is more appealing than a bigger hard drive.

Respond to what? Its status quo at Sony. They have a great product and its selling well - no fire sales necessary. Should they see something after January - I would expect something at around the launch of The Order. If that. They still haven't played their price drop card so they have the advantage.

Sony is out to have a healthy business and be profitable.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LBP seems to have bombed. Not sure what they expected releasing it on that date with little fanfare.

On par with Origins launch and better then Dragon Age II launch.

I'd say it's pretty good after how much DAII sullied the series' reputation and good will.

Amir0x

Banned

I think The Order is going to bomb too with the way Sony is handling the PR for the game.

Sony sure makes some bizarre choices in terms of their software, as brilliant as they can otherwise sometimes be :p

Madness

I really think he was talking about LTD 700k to a million is the gap. Trying to help figure out month sales with that.

He didn't fix his post or anythint so.. Who knows pretty crazy to make that up if so.

Please. What guy comes in in first page, writes that and then leaves and then the next like 30 pages are basically reactions to his post. He knew exactly what he was doing. Look at all the reaching being done to try and say oh no, it was a typo.

foltzie1

Reminds me of this:
pen-in-space-good-bad-design-1.png

A long debunked story with little to no truth or sense even on its face?

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

For all the talk of software decline, why aren't people taking DD into more consideration? Perhaps the migration is bigger than we think, especially for games available on PC.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the platform with likely the least popular digital distribution platform in Nintendo is the one that is topping the software retail charts despite the lower userbase.

Based on what? In all likelihood, digital sales on the Wii U/3DS are comparable to those on the PS4/XBO in terms of how far off they are from retail sales. Nintendo has constantly been stressing that digital is making up a bigger chunk of software sales and the online connectivity rate for the Wii U is something like 80+%

They should get a decent bump from PSX.

I don't think there's enough attention to an event like that to make much, if any, difference.

I expect XBO to probably top NPD again December, but then begin to slip back through January and back behind no later than March.

Then again, if the trend ends up fanning out with everyone buying what everyone is buying, there could be a good tail end to this uptrend for the XBO. But I'd expect that would be the only case, as there isn't much for the XBO to bank on in early 2015. I think the main marketing platform for the system will be Evolve which, while I enjoy it, doesn't have the wide appeal to rest the momentum of a system upon.

Then again, I'd say the same for Bloodborne, which is fantastic to the core and will sell well for a FromSoft title. As a massive drive for console adoption...eh.

Edit: Same with The Order. Could be the Gears of War (visually) that would attract a lot of attention, but the game has no momentum behind it with how it's being handled. And from a core perspective, the gameplay is still a bit of a question even after the fantastic B-roll footage.

Do you think this trend will continue in December? Sony better have some good deals.
I think it'll be closer in December but Sony really does need to do some special bundle and maybe a trade-in program of their own to cap as much of MS's momentum as they can. I still find it hilarious you can trade in a PS3 for credit towards an XBO. Without knowing any better you'd think it'd be illegal.

In fact I think a trade-in offer would do better than dropping the price, that's probably been a silent tool in MS's corner for too long.

Yikes. LBP3 is one of the best platformers I've played but it was sent to die, and then had so many issues at launch :(

When you consider it's only on 2 platforms, it's not as bad of a view.

If DA sold 600k and that was 43% PS4 and 9% PS3, that means DA sold 312 000 on Playstation platforms.

LBP sold 134k, which is just under half (42%) of Dragon Age's sales. Considering how much more popular Dragon Age is at the moment, that's actually about the best you could hope for.

It was simply a very crowded month with too many games, some of them had to struggle.

Who needs all these so-called insiders when one groovy dude called all this way back in May '13 in a thread titled "Xbox One will be Number One in Sales"... *whistles*
what? You were talking about the original model and we all know how that turned out. Your prediction was so great that microsoft totally abandoned their plans to sell it the way it was

No he has not at all.

Case in point number 1: Titanfall

A farce he should have been permed for though he was banned. Putting developers at risk for sales loss over total BS is an offense that shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.
Keep back seat modding, it's very entertaining.

The men and women at Respawn can take care of themselves. They have accounts here too.

Please. What guy comes in in first page, writes that and then leaves and then the next like 30 pages are basically reactions to his post. He knew exactly what he was doing. Look at all the reaching being done to try and say oh no, it was a typo.

Just so we are clear Im not defendimg the guy. Just seems fucking crazy. Makes zero sense really

shamanick

I wonder how Sony will respond (will they respond?). I could see a price drop to $350 after the holidays and a 1TB SKU for $399. Although I think that a game included is more appealing than a bigger hard drive.

No way they'd blow a sales driver like a price drop and/or a new SKU in fucking January. Gonna be at least until September for that. In the very worst situation (say, XB1 selling 2:1 for 3 months) it will be June at the earliest.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It'll be really interesting to see where hardware sales go from here. I figured early 2015 would be a runaway for Sony since the XBO lineup is rather sparse but now I'm not sure.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Well, the numbers don't seem to match the white chart using the Wii U number from November (Difference of 150k for PS4 and Xbone 60k), but here are the LTDs I have:

Wii U 3.088 million
PS4 5.65 million
Xbone 4.898 million

JNA

Banned
I think The Order is going to bomb too with the way Sony is handling the PR for the game.

Sony sure makes some bizarre choices in terms of their software, as brilliant as they can otherwise sometimes be :p

They really do. And all it does in the end is make people think that all of Sony's exclusives are just "movie cinematic" games.

Then again, more of the Last of Us is always welcome. :D

Competition is hype.
The only thing disappointing is Dragon Age but I guess the series lost a lot of good faith after DA2 and SWTOR. Bioware is pulling daggers out of its own heart in order to regain that good faith. It'd be even worse if their C&C remake wasn't cancelled. Free to Play bullshit, glad it's dead.

Vestal

Then again, I'd say the same for Bloodborne, which is fantastic to the core and will sell well for a FromSoft title. As a massive drive for console adoption...eh.

Yeah I don't buy Bloodborne as a system seller, at least not in the US. The Order needs a major PR makeover in order to win the favor of the masses in the US.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The exact same? I mean, the vast majority of games are multiplatform between them and I doubt being dead even will bring out the "best" in either company as much as being behind would
Dead even was probably a poor choice of words, what I mean is Sony winning a few months then MS winning a few and back again. Basically keeping both companies continuously in catch up mode.

when they seen their competitor lower their price, and offered games for free. They should had matched it, or even lowered theirs further, but instead they kept the same price. I don't think I need to repeat myself on the quality of exclusives....Didn't they learn a lesson with the PS3, with the higher price? I call that arrogance.

If nothing else, NPD threads always do a fine job in exposing people with very little business acumen. Arrogant Sony indeed :lol :lol

Anyway, good for Microsoft, shame about cboat, damn shame about LBP3. Game deserves a lot more love.

EDIT: Regarding Nintendo, very happy about Smash Bros. I just wish they got to move more Wii Us.

Top Bottom