• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Salex_

when they seen their competitor lower their price, and offered games for free. They should had matched it, or even lowered theirs further, but instead they kept the same price. I don't think I need to repeat myself on the quality of exclusives....Didn't they learn a lesson with the PS3, with the higher price? I call that arrogance.

yeah......You really have no idea what you're talking about lol. I'm sure they're happy with their performance without having to drop the price.
PS4 / Xbox One November sales targets to beat (2nd Novembers):

Wii - 981K (November 2007)

PS2 - 919K (November 2001)

N64 - 764K (November 1997)

Xbox 360 - 511K (November 2006)

Xbox - 468K (November 2002)

PS3 - 466K (November 2007)

vin-buc

when they seen their competitor lower their price, and offered games for free. They should had matched it, or even lowered theirs further, but instead they kept the same price. I don't think I need to repeat myself on the quality of exclusives....Didn't they learn a lesson with the PS3, with the higher price? I call that arrogance.

I'm sure you're providing this strategy/advice after closely examining their books and understanding projections, correct?

RoKKeR

Little Big Planet, wow. Also CoD down is pretty interesting, he to be lowest in a long time right?

Dragon age seems respectable to be honest.

300k+ with the PS4 under the million milestone is a solid win for MS, and shows people are choosing one over the other.

Quote myself from the other thread yesterday.

Comprehensive win for MS, and ticks all the boxes for their strategy. Like I said originally this makes it look like people were specifically choosing One over the other.

Shame I put in a small win for Sony as my prediction this month because I thought MS's plan had failed.

cboatflipagewku30.gif

kyser73

The pricing & bundles clearly worked for MS, and the sales gap more or less matches the discount ratio.

So congrats to MS, who won this month by dropping their trousers, and congrats to Sony who didn't and still shifted a huge number of units.

I hope you don't own a business my friend.

JNA

Banned
Do you think this trend will continue in December? Sony better have some good deals.

Probably. All it took was Microsoft flipping the switch and they cut the lead in the US by almost half.

It also doesn't help that Sony's bone headed decision on making the 20th aniversary bundle extremely limited, and sticking with the $400 price point for Black Friday and the holidays.

This part is probably a stupid thing to put a thought on but I bet That Final Fantasy 7 remake troll at PS Experience killed a lot of hype for the PS4 for December and early 2015. Of course I'm likely wrong but I got this feeling in my gut...

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I would love for Xbone and PS4 to basically be dead even in the US for most of this generation...imagine the quality of games and system features that would produce...

Gator86

So, Sony to lose the US lead by March it seems. Because we all know MS will make another push for tax return season.

Lot of moving parts between now and then. MS might drop the cuts, although it is unlikely, or Sony might make a move to counter, which seems also kind of unlikely given how broke they are these days. Based on this though, MS probably could close the gap by then if they want to put enough cash into it.

Jomjom

Banned
How come when people thought I was way off with my xbox wins by 400k to 500k prediction my posts got called out. But now that it turns out to have been pretty accurate nobody points it out?

Welfare

There's some bad arithmetic on this thread.

1200K-890K=310k

So o don't know where all this '400k' is coming from.

Translates into:

1100-310=790k

So Sony still ahead by just under 800k US LTD.

The pricing & bundles clearly worked for MS, and the sales gap more or less matches the discount ratio.

So congrats to MS, who won this month by dropping their trousers, and congrats to Sony who didn't and still shifted a huge number of units.
1240k and 840k actually.

Yh the gap is still there but if they lead December but a similar margin + lead all next year Gap should be closed be this time next year which would have seem so insane some time ago. GG MS. GG.

So lead December by 400k as well, then lead all next year, and be caught up next holiday? That would be something, I guess.

TomShoe

Banned
Not surprising at all that LBP3 struggled. So many factors were leading up to this result.

1. Releasing near Black Friday at $59.99 when people were looking for deals.

2. Obviously stacked holiday lineup (COD, Far Cry, Dragon Age, etc.)

3. Being bundled with the Family Pack.

It'll be fine though. Little Big Planet typically has long legs.

Awntawn

For all the talk of software decline, why aren't people taking DD into more consideration? Perhaps the migration is bigger than we think, especially for games available on PC.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the platform with likely the least popular digital distribution platform in Nintendo is the one that is topping the software retail charts despite the lower userbase.

There's some bad arithmetic on this thread.

1200K-890K=310k

So o don't know where all this '400k' is coming from.

Translates into:

1100-310=790k

So Sony still ahead by just under 800k US LTD.

that's because it's 1240k and 840k

Amir0x

Banned
OT but is it worth getting if I hated the first game for floaty physics? I kinda want to support that kinda game.

If you HATED the first game (or second game), you're still unlikely to really dig LittleBigPlanet 3. hate is such a strong word, so I would think it's not enough to convince someone who hated LBP1 to like LBP3.

It does significantly improve the physics and the other sacks drastically add to the potential gameplay options, from both a story mode and create mode perspective.

But there's still a bit of jankiness to it, because it's still a physics based game that requires you to manipulate the world around you, and so it's the best possible function for a game that has slightly different goals than, say, a pure Mario platformer.

It's as good as the formula is likely to get I'd say.

thuway

I wonder how Sony will respond (will they respond?). I could see a price drop to $350 after the holidays and a 1TB SKU for $399. Although I think that a game included is more appealing than a bigger hard drive.

They should seriously make a $299 SKU with just the bare console.

And a White $399 SKU a 1 TB HDD with the Last of Us / InFamous bundle or Little Big Planet 3 / Knack bundle.

Leverage that first paaaaaaaaaarty.

This is a significant victory for MS. I wonder how December results are going to look like...
It also seems that the first two weeks of November (Correct me if I'm wrong) are what sealed the deal. I have never seen a company be so much aggressive with the bundles and price cuts, but they are in a position to take the hit, financially...
The American market will be interesting to follow from now on. :)

TI82

Banned
Definitely.

Price was the only thing holding the XB1 back.

If they can keep at the current price, then by E3 2015 they will be leading the NA market.

A bit of a stretch. A lot of people think the XB1 still can't play used games, Kinect is watching etc. Not to mention the technical performance of nearly all games being better on PS4. Oh, and XB1 has nearly no games planned for 2015 while the PS4 is starting strong with Bloodborne.

Blame these companies. They milk and milk and milk, eventually people move on. it's the rare franchise that can weather that shit, and usually they do it by maintaining a very high quality. Which the COD franchise didn't do, it was more like ups and big downs (I mean I dislike COD altogether, but the consensus is definitely on the "the quality is wildly inconsistent" side). This version might have been an up, but the market is already conditioned to step back. Series is gonna keep declining. I wish AC: Unity wasn't a pack in so we could have seen how its performance was minus the attach, I wanted to see if that had a real decline vs. past AC.

I blame the dudebros...these companies are just giving them what they want, which is the same lowest-common-denominator repackaged game year after year.

It's this industry's version of pop music tripe and summer blockbuster movies with big explosions but no substance.

Duxxy3

I wonder how Sony will respond (will they respond?). I could see a price drop to $350 after the holidays and a 1TB SKU for $399. Although I think that a game included is more appealing than a bigger hard drive.

They already gave their response. Free choice of game with the purchase of a system.

Why do anymore than that?

Lol, you don't know how a business works do you?

BriGuy

Sony totally should have sold the PS4 for $99 last month. Imagine how many units they would have sold! That's the only thing that's important, right?

Top Bottom