• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Amir0x

Banned
Read my post again. I didn't say equal price, I said equal or better value and for the weaker console this means a cheaper price. If you look through my post history you'll see that I was saying months ago that Microsoft has to make the Xbox at least $50 cheaper, preferably with a game packed in in order to fight back. Many people said that even with that there was no way for Microsoft to close the gap. Yet here we are. Price IS king. Microsoft are not going to return to the $399 price.

Price isn't king though. We've seen endless examples where major price cuts do not change trajectories over the long term. This is a far more complicated subject than you're trying to make it out to seem. MS was penalized for its problems, and consumers required a different price to make up for it. But price is not a cure all. PS4 has yet to cut its price even once, so when it does it it too will get a boost and offset some of these gains.

So, it's all about strategic long-term initiatives to maintain a steady month-on-month unit sales. You can't just rely on big price cut boosts to do the dirty work, because you only have so many within your arsenal you can actually do to impress consumers. During the rest of the time, after that price cut buzz wears off, you need other things to compensate and you need issues to be less apparent.

In reality, then, it was a combination of factors. And the gap is still 800k. I believe we'll get another 250k~ dent in December to the number. Then January we see if MS will keep the price, and then it gets interesting to see where XBO and PS4 settle in monthly numbers.

Verendus

Banned
To be fair to everyone I'm gonna step away from doing any sales talk from now on. Take your normal sources and go with them.

Trying to be an insider on GAF is waaay too stressful and there's far too many people whose feelings you can hurt without meaning to.

I apologize for any offense I sturred up in this thread and am gonna step away.
Make sure to promote Xbox One for me whilst you're away. In the shops and everything.

TomShoe

Banned
Seriously I want to see how much AC has falling.

The soon Assassin's Creed dies, also the better. That series has been bastardized ever since III. It's a shame Microsoft chose Unity for their BF Bundle, Ubisoft doesn't deserve that bundle money for what they did with Unity.

Rembrandt

Banned
Doesn't matter really. Like I said in the first few pages of this monstrosity of a thread, the problem is that he let GAF go with the assumption it meant GAP between consoles which caused a fucking shitstorm in this thread.

You can't drop that range on the first page in GAF after a hiatus with the history he has for being a disgruntled MS employee, distort some sort of actual fact for your own personal amusement and get away with it.

some people take his word as fact even though it's seemed like he's disliked MS for a while.

Super Mario killer 3 - 4 ~ 99k, 3 ~ 34k

RPG of the month < 600k
PS4 ~ 43%
XBO ~ 32%
360 ~ 16%
PS3 ~ 9%

Shame about DA, especially since it seemed like they really learned from 2. Not too surprised about LBP, though. People say it has legs, so I guess sales will grow, but I'm thinking the series is gonna come to an end sooner than we think.

Decrease in sales is one thing, all COD nows have an extra year of dev cycle, which means cost of development per title must've gone up at least 30%.

Duxxy3

Doesn't matter really. Like I said in the first few pages of this monstrosity of a thread, the problem is that he let GAF go with the assumption it meant GAP between consoles which caused a fucking shitstorm in this thread.

You can't drop that range on the first page in GAF after a hiatus with the history he has for being a disgruntled MS employee, distort some sort of actual fact for your own personal amusement and get away with it.

Oh I completely agree. Intentional or not, there was a shit storm because it was a range (or looked like a range). He didn't clarify and it led to page after page of incorrect information.

ShogunX

To be fair to everyone I'm gonna step away from doing any sales talk from now on. Take your normal sources and go with them.

Trying to be an insider on GAF is waaay too stressful and there's far too many people whose feelings you can hurt without meaning to.

You also need to step away from my Steam account name and Steam profile picture!!!!

Shit is weird every time I see you post :)

Percy

Banned
Shame cboat was wrong, was hoping that his numbers were on the money. That made for some damn funny reads. Though the rather swift u-turn in tone for the thread has not been without it's laughs I guess.

Everyone's a winner until your team of choice is out in front at least is the takeaway lesson I guess :)

Just going to say I like your sales analysis. If for your sanity you need to step away, cool. I wouldn't take this too seriously, not worth the stress. I never have responded to your info before but I enjoy reading it. Thanks for contributing though, it's appreciated.

I wonder how Sony will respond (will they respond?). I could see a price drop to $350 after the holidays and a 1TB SKU for $399. Although I think that a game included is more appealing than a bigger hard drive.

Madness

Lmao the ww gap is closer to 7 moll and growing.... The ww gap is not going down... And Australia ps4 is outsell ING x1. Ms won one month in one country.... Xbox outsold ps2 some holidays..... Your getting ahead of yourself.

How is that any different than what I said? Microsoft is still losing in all territories, the gap is still several million worldwide etc. But I said, like last gen, Microsoft didn't even have any traction in Japan, and just off of North America and Europe were competitive. How am I getting ahead of myself? You'd be foolish to think the gap won't close even more next month as well. Who knows what they'll do in January. Probably make price drop permanent, bring on 1TB hard drive bundles etc.

That's not to say Sony doesn't also have tricks up its sleeves. A good PS4 price drop in time for Bloodborne or something etc. Could probably blunt all MS momentum.

Top Bottom