• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

Elios83

oh man :/

do you guys think they will still try to sell it at full price when it comes to ps4?

Probably the current plan is full price with all the DLCs they have recently announced, one year later on PS4. Call it Definitive Version and release it again on PC and X1.
But we might be in for surprises (similarly to the Biohazard 4 on PS2 shock), in January some execs from SE/CD/MS will take a seat with all the numbers from the holiday season and will decide what to do out of this.
I wouldn't be shocked if the release date of the PS4 version was pushed forward to May-June in a twist.

Using the rough available numbers, looks like PS4+XB1 averted falling back to Gen 6 numbers for the #1 and #2 systems in a big way! Pretty dang sharp slope! November sales are a bigger part of Q4 sales these days, but still, that's a really, really big leap. Nice stuff. (^_^)

LastGenx2vsCurrentGen_1-2_201511.png
Good stuff!

Well there's no way MS can see this as a success right?

I mean, what the hell happens if Gears 4 tanks as well?

I just want Halo to soar again. I think it can, just not by the people who are in charge of it now.

I don't think Halo 5's success, or lack thereof, can solely be pinned on the studio in charge. It's certainly a factor but there are other, more prominent factors at play that contributed to it's decline (e.g. 360 owners switching to PS4, the userbase buying the XB1 and so on).

A bad business decision doesn't equate to consumers getting tired of current Tomb Raider. This game would have performed much, much better if it weren't shackled and sent to die like it was. Simple as that.

You sure? It was released alongside four other big name shooter franchises in cod, fallout, halo and battlefront. While you could argue this is the dumb business move, there is always a big shooter coming out.

The first solution to me seems to make a great game that isn't just another shooter. I'm pretty sure a game like that can still succeed on one platform.

Faustek

This is so much utopian nonsense. Nobody in life ever says "well how dare you hate a movie and are happy to see it bomb, someone else likes it and it took hard work to make it!" Nobody says that shit, because that's like some kindergarten kiddie glove nonsense. This is the real world, adults can hate things like certain movies, books and games and be damn happy to see it not rewarded for what they individually believe is a terrible quality.

I don't care others want to see it grow, because I was in the series first, nobody cared that they destroyed that true original for this crap. Now I have to give them the courtesy they almost certainly did not afford to anyone else? These are games, not people. They are works of art or love or whatever, and people can hate them and be happy they bomb. Games are not human beings with feelings. OG TR was great and the only games of its kind, I think the new games are terrible and are like a zillion other titles that I don't give a shit about either (including Uncharted, btw). I am happy it bombed because I think it sucks and is a poison in this franchise. I've articulated at great depth (almost certainly deeper than any of these people criticizing me) before why I feel it is bad, so it is not from nowhere. I've earned my right to comment on how this development makes me feel.

I'm a kindergarten gloves kinda nonsense.
Try it. Works better and if that doesn't work I'm such a position that I can strangle most people or just punch them out with said gloves.

The game didn't sell poorly because of the new direction. The game is fantastic people and has great word of mouth. People want to play it, they just can't because it's not on there system of choice and it's not too bothersome right now because it launched right in between star wars, call of duty, and fallout.

I think your replying to the wrong person. I just responded to the poster as to why many within the older TR community liked what we see now. Nothing else.

oh man :/

do you guys think they will still try to sell it at full price when it comes to ps4?

It'll probably be full price, but have DLC included (because that's a Sony requirement for late ports.) They'll most likely dress it up as a definitive/ultimate edition.

Amir0x

Banned
enoughdwj47.gif

Amirox...come on man.

Come on about what? Are we really trying to get to a point where anyone thinks it's OK to try to tell others they can't be happy when something they believe is trash bombs? Is this what the gaming community is now? That's where we are at with sharing opinions now? Only happy unicorns and rainbows? We're only allowed to say "well someone somewhere must like this crap, and people worked hard on it! Therefore, I hope this thing which I believe is atrocious still succeeds and I am not happy in any way to see it not do well!"

Sorry, that's just not the real world. I think the reboot sucks, it destroyed an original series, and I'm absolutely ecstatic it bombed. Could not be any happier if I tried. Why do games keep getting treated differently than movies, tv shows and books? I can write a novel over the amount of GAF posts I've seen happy over a crappy movie bombing or a crappy tv show bombing. Well, I think this is crappy. And I can define WHY.

I don't give a shit if it's your favorite game of all time, honestly, because my comment wasn't even about quality.

It's an abhorrent TOMB RAIDER game that destroyed a true original for checklist game design nonsense that I could play in thirty five other games every year.

They could have called it RETURN OF THE LADY WARRIOR and gave it no relation to Tomb Raider and no one would have gave a shit. They made their bed, now as an OG TR fan I have a right to dance in the fuckin' rain over seeing it crash and burn. As it is my only shot at ever seeing a return to the glory days of what the franchise was always about. This shouldn't bother you one bit.
Can't tell if serious, me thinks it sarcasm for the lulz. So I'll laugh.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Now I wonder how Crapgamer, Zaire and Mooch and etc gonna spin this..

sony is so desperate they are lowering the price of the ps4 they can't compete with xbox if the price remained the same, they are even desperate to win december that they are trying to use the start wars movie hype to sell their system, xbox would never do that we have games.

donny2112

360 must have not done that well at its bargain bin price.

This is what I don't understand. The 4GB was "on sale" for $130 at Wal-Mart 10 years after the system's release. I bought a Jasper basic console for ~$100 ($200 + $100 WM GC) ~3 years after the system's release. Why could they afford to sell it for basically $100 7 years ago but can't get there today?

Hoje0308

Banned
Well there's no way MS can see this as a success right?

I mean, what the hell happens if Gears 4 tanks as well?

I just want Halo to soar again. I think it can, just not by the people who are in charge of it now.

This may be a result of the damage the MCC did and, if so, the launch of Halo 5 may have helped alleviate the fears some people had. Or maybe the damage is done and those people have moved on. Of course, it could be the case that people were already leaving and the botched launch last year accelerated the process.

No, perception wise the franchise took a hit with Reach and then Halo 4 really fucked it up bad despite selling well.

Perception for Reach I'd say is largely irrelevant given that Halo 4 still sold quite significantly.

It's hard to gauge the negative impact of Halo 4 since MCC also pretty much screwed the pooch.

Kyoufu

You sure? It was released alongside four other big name shooter franchises in cod, fallout, halo and battlefront. While you could argue this is the dumb business move, there is always a big shooter coming out.

The first solution to me seems to make a great game that isn't just another shooter. I'm pretty sure a game like that can still succeed on one platform.

How did other Xbox One exclusives not named Halo 5 perform so far?

The most recent example that I can think of is Sunset Overdrive, which wasn't released alongside far bigger games and still did poorly.

If you want to avoid big name shooters then a May or June release would be just fine. RotTR had to be a holiday release due to contractual obligations with Microsoft, so it was sandwiched between big name IPs like Call of Duty, Fallout etc. It was sent to die. It doesn't matter what kind of game it is, it was clearly sent to die. Everybody here saw it coming.

Meanwhile, Uncharted 4 skipped the holiday rush and is set to sell gangbusters in March.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
sony is so desperate they are lowering the price of the ps4 they can't compete with xbox if the price remained the same, they are even desperate to win december that they are trying to use the start wars movie hype to sell their system, xbox would never do that we have games.

And then say how "Un-American" we are for supporting the PS4.

SwolBro

Banned
How did other Xbox One exclusives not named Halo 5 perform so far?

The most recent example that I can think of is Sunset Overdrive, which wasn't released alongside far bigger games and still did poorly.

If you want to avoid big name shooters then a May or June release would be just fine. RotTR had to be a holiday release due to contractual obligations with Microsoft, so it was sandwiched between big name IPs like Call of Duty, Fallout etc. It was sent to die. It doesn't matter what kind of game it is, it was clearly sent to die. Everybody here saw it coming.

Meanwhile, Uncharted 4 skipped the holiday rush and is set to sell gangbusters in March.
Yeah, this was ridiculous to release the game sandwiched in the middle of all this. It's a fucking shame.

I'd love to know their reasoning behind it. It's such a good game. It didn't deserve this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Come on about what? Are we really trying to get to a point where anyone thinks it's OK to try to tell others they can't be happy when something they believe is trash bombs? Is this what the gaming community is now? That's where we are at with sharing opinions now? Only happy unicorns and rainbows? We're only allowed to say "well someone somewhere must like this crap, and people worked hard on it! Therefore, I hope this thing which I believe is atrocious still succeeds and I am not happy in any way to see it not do well!"

Sorry, that's just not the real world. I think the reboot sucks, it destroyed an original series, and I'm absolutely ecstatic it bombed. Could not be any happier if I tried. Why do games keep getting treated differently than movies, tv shows and books? I can write a novel over the amount of GAF posts I've seen happy over a crappy movie bombing or a crappy tv show bombing. Well, I think this is crappy. And I can define WHY.

I often agree with you, but I can't get behind this.

Just because other people get all shitty about games, movies, tv shows, and books bombing, doesn't mean you should aspire to be like them.

Hoje0308

Banned

I welcome your opinion, but the fact that you seem so emotionally involved is a little off putting. I feel the same way about people that hate/love plastic boxes or worship developers (Naughty Gods, anyone?), because it just seems odd to get so worked up over a hobby, which makes it hard to relate.

Cidd

Is it really that surprising that TR crashed and burn?

I thought GAF already knew this was going to happen ever since they release date was announced.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I think Hitman will be fine. It always struck me as an IP with a more dedicated following. After the shitfest that was Absolution, the new one looks much better. It should do fine on consoles and exceptional on PC, me thinks.

I hope so but that soft launch thing they've got planned has me worried. I think it's neat idea but I don't know how it's going to go down. At least it's not exclusive (apart from a few missions on the PS4)

Kyoufu

Yeah, this was ridiculous to release the game sandwiched in the middle of all this. It's a fucking shame.

I'd love to know their reasoning behind it. It's such a good game. It didn't deserve this.

Their reasoning is really simple. Microsoft wanted a bullet point for consumers to choose Xbox One over PS4 in the holiday season.

Plan failed.

You do realize the series was fucking floundering before the reboot right? That was the entire point of it. No one gave a shit about Tomb Raider anymore.

The reboot saved the franchise. I get that doesn't sit right with "series purists" like yourself, but there's two kinds of series that exist on a log time frame - those that are willing to evolve with the times, and those that become stagnant. It's interesting to adamantly want the series to remain something everyone already know it for. Most series that do that end up on Kickstarter.

Elios83

Square Enix you suck. CD did not deserve this.

Probably you should know that CD was behind the deal ;)
CD has been close (or in bed as you prefer :p) with MS for years.
No PS3 version of Legend and Anniversary until the Collection in 2011.
Underworld with fully exclusive DLCs on 360.
Always on stage with Microsoft.
Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusive.

The man behind the deal probably has a name and is Darrell Gallagher.

Of course if you mean the actual employees who worked hard to make a great game yes :/ they didn't deserve it.

Boke1879

This thread kinda slowed down a bit. We pretty much have numbers for all we need to know. Would be nice to just get a nice summary of it all from George or MUCLAIR

kadotsu

Banned
I was so accurate I actually scared myself, need to give myself a minute here

You forgot that backwards compatibility wasn't available for the whole month with it the XBO would clearly have sold 2M+. And with the scam that is PS2 on PS4 PS4 sales are sure to tank even more.

LifEndz

I love Fallout 4 but I'm amazed it's this much of a monster. That's hardly an entry level rpg with easy to understand mechanics. Hell, I had to watch a YouTube video on how to get lights in my settlement set up, not to mention the crafting systems and me managing my companion's inventory. With those kind of sales they have to have sold to that "dudebro" crowd that only buy Cod and Madden. How the hell they got that crowd to buy fallout is beyond me. Kudos to Bethesda.

Sohaim

Amazing month for both MS and Sony, congratz to both, a shame about Tomb Raider, i wonder how many copies it sold WW, waiting on the PC release.

Amir0x

Banned
I often agree with you, but I can't get behind this.

Just because other people get all shitty about games, movies, tv shows, and books bombing, doesn't mean you should aspire to be like them.

It's not shitty though. These are things people put out in the world with the explicit purpose of people judging them. There is an entire field of criticism dedicated to people explicitly tearing apart works of art they deem terrible, and people agreeing to these well reasoned critiques.

These are not people. They are inanimate objects. People worked on them, but knowing that their work is public, they have to deal with people judging their work harshly and being happy their "art" did poorly because they feel it sucks.

This says not one negative thing about someone's human condition.

SRTtoZ

I feel super sorry for crystal dynamics.

A great game screwed over by a console maker needed to tick a box to compete against a game that didn't even come out this year.

No no no. Square Enix didn't have to take the money. I don't put any blame on MS, they were just trying to do what was best for their console in their minds. Blame SE if you want to blame someone.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's not shitty though. These are things people put out in the world with the explicit purpose of people judging them. There is an entire field of criticism dedicated to people explicitly tearing apart works of art they deem terrible, and people agreeing to these well reasoned critiques.

These are not people. They are inanimate objects. People worked on them, but knowing that their work is public, they have to deal with people judging their work harshly and being happy their "art" did poorly because they feel it sucks.

This says not one negative thing about someone's human condition.

Cheering for something that other people like to crash and burn when it has no real effect on you comes across as a very shitty thing to do in my book.

Its failure does not mean your chances for getting the Tomb Raider game you want are any more likely.

Im with you. I'm glad it bombed, not only do
I dislike what happened to the franchise, I'm not a fan of the exclusivity either. I admit it does suck for those who worked on the game, but I'm glad the public hasn't rewarded them for the choices they made. I thought this was how the market works.

Amir0x

Banned
shinobi602 said:
The reboot saved the franchise. I get that doesn't sit right with "series purists" like yourself, but there's two kinds of series that exist on a log time frame - those that are willing to evolve with the times, and those that become stagnant.

If evolution means getting crappier, then there will always be a legion of people to call them out on it. This isn't a charity. People pay for this shit. They are allowed to form an opinion in which they say it is garbage, because once again I've wrote in great detail why I think it sucks. So now I also get to be happy it bombs. You guys really need to stop litigating negativity because you don't like hearing it. You live in a world in which people are absolutely equally allowed to hate a franchise you love, and are equally allowed to wish it fails the same way you'd hope it succeeds. Two sides of the same coin, and all part of forming real world adult opinions.

And nobody is against the series "updating." I am against the series "updating" into something that shares virtually no similarities with the original. If you want to do that, get a new series. They didn't, so now I get my time to be happy they were not rewarded for it here.

Top Bottom