• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

Aeqvitas

Great month for the industry. Looks like the supposed NPD poster was quite wrong in his "analysis." Both consoles seeing healthy increases. Surprised to see CoD still leading sales on xbox, usually the Sony marketing deals have been quite effective. Kind of a marketing switcheroo to see Fallout lead on Sony as well. I would have thought bethesda games had a much stronger association with xbox.

Lets hope next month countinues the stronger trend in growth next month.

Legit surprised to see a Wii title leading in the top 10, its probably been years since that has happened?

Sad the TR didn't chart. It's my GOTY so far. Hopefully it gets some legs. It should have released in september or next year, much like Alan Wake it was really hurt by bad timing.

Massa

If evolution means getting crappier, then there will always be a legion of people to call them out on it. This isn't a charity. People pay for this shit. They are allowed to form an opinion in which they say it is garbage, because once again I've wrote in great detail why I think it sucks. So now I also get to be happy it bombs. You guys really need to stop litigating negativity because you don't like hearing it. You live in a world in which people are absolutely equally allowed to hate a franchise you love, and are equally allowed to wish it fails the same way you'd hope it succeeds. Two sides of the same coin, and all part of forming real world adult opinions.

And nobody is against the series "updating." I am against the series "updating" into something that shares virtually no similarities with the original. If you want to do that, get a new series. They didn't, so now I get my time to be happy they were not rewarded for it here.

You keep saying it's the "adult" thing to do. It's not, it's petty and childish. When something you used to like goes in a different direction the adult thing to do is spend your energy on things you do like, not relish in misfortune.

LOOOOOOL

Do you really thinl Microsoft would allow Halo to have 5 years without seeing a new entry? Come on. There will be one next year and then Halo 6 the year after, and you know it.

Mainline Halos take 3 years, 343 have said that. Halo Wars 2 by Creative Assembly is coming out next year, though.

I was thinking about this whole "wanting a series to fail" talk and to be honest, I don't find myself disagreeing with Amir0x.

While I have no idea how Hitman: Absolution sold, I hope it bombed to hell and back and is the reason for the current Hitman game.

We all have games that represent that for us and the paths or "evolutions" we don't want a series following or taking. And you are right Hitman Absolution was one of those type of games, DmC was another (dear lord I hated DmC and I am glad it under performed and is dead, I think I will open a beer just for celebrating that DmC is still dead) and I can see how Tomb Raider 2013 could be like that for a lot of fans of the franchise.

That is besides the point. He is free to give his opinion without being chastised just the same as people are be down about it. I've got no sentimental investment, but I'm glad just the same. I feel like they made bad decisions and I'm glad the consumers showed them this.

I will chastise the fuck out of anyone who wants stuff to fail because they don't like it.

It's the most childish way of expressing your opinion. I have a hard time even grasping the point behind it because it's so unbelievably poor presentation.

Out of all the fanboy shit on NeoGAF, it's shit like these posts that is the worst.

If evolution means getting crappier, then there will always be a legion of people to call them out on it. This isn't a charity. People pay for this shit. They are allowed to form an opinion in which they say it is garbage, because once again I've wrote in great detail why I think it sucks. So now I also get to be happy it bombs. You guys really need to stop litigating negativity because you don't like hearing it. You live in a world in which people are absolutely equally allowed to hate a franchise you love, and are equally allowed to wish it fails the same way you'd hope it succeeds. Two sides of the same coin, and all part of forming real world adult opinions.

And nobody is against the series "updating." I am against the series "updating" into something that shares virtually no similarities with the original. If you want to do that, get a new series. They didn't, so now I get my time to be happy they were not rewarded for it here.
Yea, you're certainly entitled to have that view, as ridiculous as it is. You want something to fail because *you* don't like it. That's not being an adult. It's being a child. I think the "adult" thing to do is accept that things change, some not to your liking. Most adults come to terms.

Fortunately the game's quality has been extremely well received both by critics and the majority of players, apparent from feedback here, on social media and elsewhere. Almost guaranteed Square recognizes that fact and less than stellar sales equates to their decisions from exclusivity and release timing rather than the game's quality.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
A Wii game.....in 2015...leading sales.

What thee F.

Now time to finish reading the thread.... Seems like me adjusting my predictions higher for PS4 was the right move.

Fat4all

Banned
Man I'm curious as hell what Worldwide PS4 numbers looked like in November for the PS4. They had to be enormous. What a fantastic job this generation by Sony

I'm wondering if we'll get another statement about worldwide sell-in when it hits 35 or 40 million, and also how soon that might occur.

Uh....I say that sort of thing all the time. I mean not "how dare you," but more like "hey man, keep in mind someone else likes it and it took hard work to make it!"

So I'm never able to outright dislike a product? I hate the Joel Schumacher batman films, I don't care who worked on them. They were terrible movies and insulting. If someone else likes it, then fine, I wouldn't try to convince them otherwise.

I will chastise the fuck out of anyone who wants stuff to fail because they don't like it.

It's the most childish way of expressing your opinion. I have a hard time even grasping the point behind it.

Out of all the fanboy shit on NeoGAF, it's shit like these posts that is the worst.

Oh get the hell out of here. If a product doesn't cut it, then it deserves to fail. That's voting with your wallet. I'm not sure where the fanboy nonsense is coming from. I own all three consoles and a PC.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That is besides the point. He is free to give his opinion without being chastised just the same as people are be down about it. I've got no sentimental investment, but I'm glad just the same. I feel like they made bad decisions and I'm glad the consumers showed them this.

I'm not bothered or sad that the game sold terribly, after all they made terrible business decisions. But he's pretty much chastising other people's tastes, and he honestly can't expect not to be called out on it.

jaaz

I don't know how you guys even function in the world with an attitude like that. "oh my god he's being mean about Star Wars, what a terrible human being! He didn't stop to consider that someone out there worked hard on it and that others love it!" Who even lives that way, christ? I'm glad I don't think an insult against something I love is a personal slight against my personhood.

Everyone gets a trophy!

I'm a pretty big classic Tomb Raider fan (to put it mildly) and I really enjoyed Rise of the Tomb Raider. Obviously, the game possesses none of the ingenuity, creativity, or cleverness of the original game (or even its later remake), but it's still an exceptionally well made game overall. I don't want to see it bomb, and not just because I like tomb raider. It's pretty much one of the main series left in the linear, non-open world collectathon genre and even now that's seeping into this series.

I don't begrudge amirox his extreme dissatisfaction, the game has nothing in common with classic tomb raider. Tomb raider dying left a void that has not really been filled in by any series since it departed, and that makes me sad. But it's still a fun game.

It is, I think, and uncharted style game, and it was silly to take it away from the uncharted audience and expect it to do well. I anticipate it will sell well at $5 for the next five years until square says they are happy with it and someone starts a neener neener thread.

Sony has done a really great job this generation and is being rewarded. I think ps4 is great. So no complaints there. Looking forward to 2016.

I really do think PS audience like there TPS types games even counting The Order lol .

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Sony got it right with the bundles, just as MS did last year. Glad to see Fallout 4 starting strong.

Fat4all

Banned
Do we have any estimate for the current gap in NA with the inclusion of these numbers?

I think we have found the ceiling for the core Nintendo fanbase.

Does anyone still think they are going to wait until 2017 to launch the NX?

Gotta be holiday 2016, unless they wanna wait for more games to have at launch.

LOOOOOOL

Do you really thinl Microsoft would allow Halo to have 5 years without seeing a new entry? Come on. There will be one next year and then Halo 6 the year after, and you know it.

If they really want halo 5 to be a competitive game they can't do yearly or even bi-yearly releases.

5 years is nothing in a competitive sense. They should keep improving the game that exists and try to keep it selling to new xbox one buyers.

It's going to be well over 2m. I wouldn't mind betting the PS4 is comfortably sitting at 33m right now.

That seems a bit low, though I confess, I don't know how worldwide sales typically operate in November/December.

PS4 has been typically doing 1 million per month so far. Now, it's done about 1.5 million in NA alone. I feel like the WW number is closer to 3-3.5 million for the month.

jaypah

they've gone full "Playstation family" with their PR now. Just tell you how many people connected to Live or downloaded Minecraft on Windows 10 or something.

not that it was a bad month just they gave up even trying to spin it a while back (or maybe that is the spin? idk. I don't really care)

Sure you do!

Anyway, some weird software numbers but hardware is looking ok. Not WiiU of course. That shit is slightly depressing.

Well congratulations, you still are apparently incapable of facing down negative opinions that adults have all the time because you love a thing that someone else hates.

I don't know how you guys even function in the world with an attitude like that. "oh my god he's being mean about Star Wars, what a terrible human being! He didn't stop to consider that someone out there worked hard on it and that others love it!" Who even lives that way, christ?

Holy shit just read the last few pages. I certainly do not miss your over dramatic industry analysis. We get it, you don't like the direction of the new Tomb Raider. That's how this industry is, it's a bunch of imitators attempting to capitalize on other franchises riches. This clearly didn't work out for them. Guess what? You also won't get a broken ass tank controlled classic Tomb Raider set in the prehistorical jungle with acrobatic mini-games in Ask Jeeves break room, so stop whining about it.

Seriously. Get over it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Well congratulations, you still are apparently incapable of facing down negative opinions that adults have all the time because you love a thing that someone else hates.

I don't know how you guys even function in the world with an attitude like that. "oh my god he's being mean about Star Wars, what a terrible human being! He didn't stop to consider that someone out there worked hard on it and that others love it!" Who even lives that way, christ? I'm glad I don't think an insult against something I love is a personal slight against my personhood.

who are you even lashing out against? nobody is acting that way to your posts

Alienfan

Tomb Raider feels and looks like one of the most expensive next games I've ever played. I just hope Microsoft offset most of the costs. The series isn't dead, it's survived much worse and will could do very well on PS4 next year.

suaveric

Guess that's it for the tomb raider series for a while. Hope the game drops to $30 soon. I traded mine in today for $50.

Good job to all the consoles but surprising to see ps4 win November. Xbox had still been the holiday king but it seems its lost even that claim.

Whoa where'd you get 50 for that trade in?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Im with you. I'm glad it bombed, not only do
I dislike what happened to the franchise, I'm not a fan of the exclusivity either. I admit it does suck for those who worked on the game, but I'm glad the public hasn't rewarded them for the choices they made. I thought this was how the market works.
Don't do unto others what you wouldn't want done unto you.
It's highly inefficient and even ridiculous to want something to cease existing simply because others' preferences don't align with yours.
How would you like it if something you liked had ceased to exist because everyone else was against it? You'd have to move on, right? That would be the efficient outcome, correct?
Turns out the effiecient outcome is the same in this situation. Instead of hoping it bombs just because you don't like the new direction, accept it and move on.

Here's the thing, any game coming out within the vicinity of Battlefront, Halo, Fallout, COD, etc. was going to fail. Keeping the game exclusive on one platform and not really marketing it as aggressively as those other games also didn't help. What Square Enix or MS or whoever decided to chose November 10th as it's release date should be fired. I get fall is big for games and they wanted this to be a big game but moving it to December or even January would've been better for its chances.

kswiston

It's going to be well over 2m. I wouldn't mind betting the PS4 is comfortably sitting at 33m right now.

If US alone was ~1.5M, worldwide had to be well over 3M in November. Isn't PAL-land pretty much confirmed to be bigger than the US for the PS4 based on the NPD and Media-Create numbers we have, plus Sony sell through announcements?

I'm not bothered or sad that the game sold terribly, after all they made terrible business decisions. But he's pretty much chastising other people's tastes, and he honestly can't expect not to be called out on it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not jumping for joy, or praising the heavens. I felt like they made some bad choices in regards to exclusivity, launch date, and marketing. It's only natural that there are repercussions from the consumers and I'm not ashamed to be glad to see the market working as intended.

Don't do unto others what you wouldn't want done unto you.
It's highly inefficient and even ridiculous to want something to cease existing simply because others' preferences don't align with yours.
How would you like it if something you liked had ceased to exist because everyone else was against it? You'd have to move one, right? That would be the efficient outcome, correct?
Turns out the effiecient outcome is the same in this situation. Instead of hoping it bombs just because you don't like the new direction, accept it and move on.

As I've stated before, if consumers purchase and support the product, then I'm fine with it. I'm not going to be sad if I see consumers voting with their wallets on what I consider bad practices. If I make bad decisions professionally, then I expect to be held accountable just the same. You guys can keep taking it to the extreme to try to act like folks are tap dancing over it flopping all you like, but this isn't the case.

Memento

Tomb Raider feels and looks like one of the most expensive next games I've ever played. I just hope Microsoft offset most of the costs. The series isn't dead, it's survived much worse and will could do very well on PS4 next year.

It will launch 1 year latter and in the Holiday period again. Do you really think the game has a chance of doing well? Because I certainly dont.

PC may be its only chance.

mrg6290

It's the most childish way of expressing your opinion. I have a hard time even grasping the point behind it because it's so unbelievably poor presentation.

Pretty much this. It comes off the same way console warriors do. "This thing I don't like needs to die and I don't care that others might like it!"

Don't support it yourself, move on, and go enjoy something you do like.

Amir0x

Banned
who are you even lashing out against? nobody is acting that way to your posts

I'm not going to re-quote the ten or so people that responded to my posts with precisely that attitude because they couldn't stomach hearing someone be mean about TR because it was "reviewed well" and because it's "mean" to be happy something you think is shit bombs. You'll just have to read the conversation again and put the words together.

GamerJM

Banned

I don't have a problem with criticism. Hell, I love reading reviews and critiques of games, music, movies, etc. that tear the content of the media apart. I just think gleefully swearing about how much a game or movie sucks when it sells poorly is a bit childish. It's not a very meaningful way of critiquing the art form. You can do what you want, and I even see where you're coming from here, though, so I don't have a problem with it or have my feelings hurt.

Though, to counteract your point, I don't think the Eidos marketing team is going to see these Tomb Raider sales and think "well, I guess we need to go back to what made the old games great," because really, when was the last time a classic Tomb Raider-style game sold well anyways? Though I could be wrong, who knows, we are getting a Psyconauts 2 so anything could happen.

Also for the record I've never played a Tomb Raider game in my life, originals or reboot, so I don't have a dog in this race either way.

I think we have found the ceiling for the core Nintendo fanbase.

Does anyone still think they are going to wait until 2017 to launch the NX?

I think we have the found the ceiling for the ultra-core Nintendo fan who is willing to pay $250+ for a system without a number of key franchises.

I think the market for a less expensive console with a more robust library of Nintendo offerings is larger. How much larger, though? Perhaps not as big as Nintendo would like, but we'll find out in the coming years with NX.

And yes, NX is absolutely launching next year. There's no way Nintendo wants another holiday like the past few they've had.

Arklite

I was under the impression the deal primarily involved 'offsetting' the apparently expensive task of marketing. I didn't see much of any marketing, though.

Loudninja

So in the end the $299 Uncharted bundle was a fantastic idea.

I have no idea why it was criticize by some people all consumers care about is the price.

Mr Moose

Do we have any estimate for the current gap in NA with the inclusion of these numbers?

Gotta be holiday 2016, unless they wanna wait for more games to have at launch.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/675150908544651264

CV6eLF1WIAEBlxO.jpg:large

Alienfan

If they release it at full price next Holiday versus the monster 2016 Holiday titles I don't see how it won't bomb for a 2nd time

If consumers pay $60 for HD remasters like The Last of Us, I don't see why that would stop people from buying rise of the tomb raider just because it was out on another platform a year back. Most will probably see it as a new game (not knowing of the xbox ones exclusivity /not caring) and considering a lot of people bought the 2013 reboot: I don't think it will necessarily bomb again

Mikey Jr.

200k for Wiiu in the biggest month of the year. PS4 does that in a shit month.

This console from a sales perspective, has been a colossal failure. It is almost surreal. They went from an all-time high to an absolute low. Crazy.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get me wrong. I'm not jumping for joy, or praising the heavens. I felt like they made some bad choices in regards to exclusivity, launch date, and marketing. It's only natural that there are repercussions from the consumers and I'm not ashamed to be glad to see the market working as intended.

Oh me neither, the market worked as it should, I suppose! His repercussion is a bit over the board, in my opinion. I mean I respect that he hates the modern incarnation of some games, and that's completely acceptable, I simply don't think that this game bombing will give him what he wants, which is another classical TR game, or happened because it was not a classic TR game.

I don't think we're disagreeing, BTW! Also, I haven't even touched the game, or even liked the reboot all that much, so I'm not really saying he's being mean to whatever opinion I might have.

Purest 78

Im with you. I'm glad it bombed, not only do
I dislike what happened to the franchise, I'm not a fan of the exclusivity either. I admit it does suck for those who worked on the game, but I'm glad the public hasn't rewarded them for the choices they made. I thought this was how the market works.

Square made their bed now it's time to lay in it. I have absolutely no sympathy That TR bombed.

Some people are just haters, better to leave them to it in that instance.

Eh, I disagree. Their are plenty of valid reasons for wanting a game to fail. Maybe not all of them are applicable here.

I've wanted plenty of games to fail over the years and I don't understand why it's remotely childish.

Top Bottom