• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

All the things that went wrong with Rise of the Tomb Raider:

Announced exclusivity
Confirmed PC and PS4 versions in advance
Releasing in November
Releasing the same day as Fallout 4
Making an Xbox One bundle exclusive to Best Buy
Making said exclusive bundle the 1TB model so it had no shot at $400

No promotion from Microsoft or Square Enix.

What a shit show that turned into.
What the fuck

I am sure, Lara will do fine on PC.

But I am scared for the PS4 version, because of it potentially releasing next to big new games like FFXV, Horizon, Mass Effect: Andromeda etc.

OSHAN

I came close to picking up that Halo Xbox but it was 450 fucking dollars, and that's with the discount. I thought that shit was 299 but I guess not.

SE better hope there is a way for them to get TR out earlier than next Nov on PS4 .
Or it going to be worst a year old game vs all the big boys .
Well they alway have $5 steam sales.....

Announced exclusivity
Releasing in November

I didn't know about that part.

Really don't know what they were thinking overall.

I'm pretty sure that he doesn't, everything that he has tweeted is so obvious that anyone following this thread could post similar tweets and have a very high chance of being correct. I'm sure it's no coincidence that many of his tweets follow the release of data by someone else. It's the same as his "reports", where he just re-writes a news or financial report without sourcing it, and writes it as if he's the source, implying that he has inside information, re-inforced by slapping his name on graphs of other people's data. It does seem to actually fool a lot of people, judging by how many times his tweets have been posted in this thread. Then we have his hardware graphs where instead of using the available range for XB1 shipments (whilst they still gave combined shipments), he used his own methodology to extrapolate an estimate for XB1 sales, then slapped them on a graph as though his own guesses were the actual shipment, and then would just source his own graphs for what actual XB1 shipments were.

The guys a fraud, I'm not sure if I should be surprised or not that so many people have fallen for it.

Is this just your pet theory as to why Zhuge was banned, or do other people think this way? Because thus far the only emotions I've ever seen expressed on Gaf regarding Zhuge's ban are confusion and annoyance, not the sentiment that he had it coming.

hawk2025

One last point regarding Tomb Raider:

The "offsetting marketing costs" argument is dead, because the marketing did fuck all, and now SE has to market it all over again.

...twice.

Welfare

Imru’ al-Qays;188867651 said:
Is this just your pet theory as to why Zhuge was banned, or do other people think this way? Because thus far the only emotions I've ever seen expressed on Gaf regarding Zhuge's ban are confusion and annoyance, not the sentiment that he had it coming.

Zhuge was not banned for anything sales related, and seems to have a connection to someone that has access to NPD reports as he was the first one to mention that any console was over 1.5m.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It's not all that weird considering the best deal for X1 right now are at Target, BB or Microsoft store.

They are almost the same or are the same as far as I see. Target offers some additional $10 off a purchase on more stuff and the MS store looks identical to the Amazon deal. Maybe you know something I can't see. I only looked at the $299 Gears bundles.

Toki767

"Let's assume a market of 100 people, because the math is easy. Maybe 25 people will only own the Xbox One. Maybe 25 people will only own the PS4. It's also very possible that 50 of those people own both consoles. "So it's not that they're cutting off half their market; they may only be cutting off 25 percent," Zatkin said."

hahahaha
Yeah, the actual reality is that 25 people own an Xbox One, 13 people might own both, 12 people might only own a gaming PC, and 50 people only own a PS4.

Don't really feel like searching but on Twitter, he said that the PS4 sold 1.5 million and the Xbone sold 1.3 an hour or two before the official statements..

NPD comes out officially at 4 IIRC and then the official statements are released around 6-ish. Either way he said the 1.5 million for the PS4 at 5:53 PM

evilr

Banned
"Let's assume a market of 100 people, because the math is easy. Maybe 25 people will only own the Xbox One. Maybe 25 people will only own the PS4. It's also very possible that 50 of those people own both consoles. "So it's not that they're cutting off half their market; they may only be cutting off 25 percent," Zatkin said."

hahahaha

Heh it's cringe-worthy.

Let's do the maths: there are 30 million PS4s and about 15 million Xbox One's in the wild, totalling 45 million. So, 15 million out of a possible 45 million will be able to play Tomb Raider. That's not 75%!

He really does sound like Greenberg's son in law.

pixelation

6rMaV3DYufVmqLbi3MRMFFc1E9L2V.jpg

TombRaiderGif.gif

ROFL!!!, my sides!!!...

Oh!. and PS4 is a certified beast!!!

so i guess we have a regular cod bundle 500gb coming out soon? listed for 349

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868110190

maybe this will be part of the 299 price promo after the 19th. reading through the blog post announcing the 299 bundles they didn't necessarily say the 299 price will only last till the 19th but just those bundles will be 299 till the 19th.

I saw that same bundle on Gamestop's website, too.

Kill3r7

They are almost the same or are the same as far as I see. Target offers some additional $10 off a purchase on more stuff and the MS store looks identical to the Amazon deal. Maybe you know something I can't see. I only looked at the $299 Gears bundles.

Cartwheel coupon brings the total cost down to ~$250. MS store is doing 2 free games promo and BB had some sort of flash sale or something ($299+$50GC).

DieH@rd

Banned
I think it is great that we got so many sales info this time around, but we still have one piece of puzzle missing. We don't know sales performance of Uncharted Collection [October retail discs, October bundles, November retail discs, November bundles].

If we get that we can tie a bow on this months NPD and start looking up at December.

Shabad

I can't even... Damn.
It's still baffling to me whenever someone tries to defend/justify what is allegedly one of the most nauseating deal in quite a while, but those arguments... Damn.

Happy to hear half the consumers own both console. And that whoever only own one is de facto a fanboy. And that in the end, Tomb would likely (sic) sell more that way.

Raist

Banned
Imru’ al-Qays;188867651 said:

I'm really not a fan of his methods either.

Intrigue

Banned
Source please, if I'm wrong then I'll hold my hands up.

https://twitter.com/zhugeex

There is your source, he was always helpful and still is to this community, unlike most others. He was always baited into wars with fanboys arguing his data was wrong, or that he had an agenda.

If you want to chase down those people look no further than charts site or Ben Kuchera etc.

so i guess we have a regular cod bundle 500gb coming out soon? listed for 349

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868110190

maybe this will be part of the 299 price promo after the 19th. reading through the blog post announcing the 299 bundles they didn't necessarily say the 299 price will only last till the 19th but just those bundles will be 299 till the 19th.

299$ physical copy COD bundles would sell like crazy.

Garlador

Announced exclusivity
Releasing in November

This should literally be a case study on how to slam the brakes on a franchise immediately after it garnered new life and forward momentum. After the reboot, the sky seemed like the limit...

Square Enix's original expectations for the last reboot were over 4 million in one month. Under 200,000 for the sequel? I can only imagine Square Enix isn't happy.

Even if Microsoft paid them, even if Microsoft got to use it as "leverage" for their "greatest holiday lineup ever", the mindshare and brand value of Tomb Raider just nosedived. That absolutely hurts the franchise going forward.

Occam

Wow super pathetic.

It's funny that it always seems like the people who aren't the brightest also always seem to be the most stubborn.

Intelligent people accept it when they have made a mistake and alter their view accordingly. That's what distinguishes them from unintelligent people.

299$ physical copy COD bundles would sell like crazy.

I don't want to buy into hyperbole, but the $450 CoD bundle was only discounted down to $429 and still did almost 300K, so I think a temporary $299 500GB bundle would do pretty swell. If it was $349, it would probably still do very well.

Intrigue

Banned
No one said he was an insider. All we said was he has access to NPD data.

Not sure why people are so dead set on trying to dispute that.

I don't think he would say he is an Insider either.

However my personal belief is those gung-ho trying to discredit him is doing so because his information is discrediting them.

Zhuge didn't have to access to the report when he was still posting here, but it looks he now does.

I don't understand the outrage anyway, Zhuge was never one to post fraud numbers as far as I know.

Kyoufu

Star Wars bundle at $299 is going to destroy everything in its path this month. December NPD is going to be interesting.

So most requested i think right now is:

Split between software of CoD BO3 between all 4 platforms (not including bundles)
Uncharted total LTD software
3ds numbers

I feel like im missing something else.

(vita?No?no.)

Top Bottom