• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

BKK

That time was wrong, its 2:53CDT. 3:53 Eastern basically 2 hours ahead of PR's?

Yeah, I'll retract my statement whilst working out time zones ...

2:49 p.m. - 10 Dec 2015

ZhugeEX ‏@ZhugeEX 23 hours ago

PlayStation 4 was the top selling console during November in the US with record breaking sales.

I don't want to derail this thread, so ignore my posts, and I'll either make my point or apologise after working out the times.

Seems some people missed NDP_Mulcair's post since some are still wondering if BLOPS3 did better on PS4 with bundles included. So here it is again. BLOPS3 still did better on Xbone even with PS4 bundles included. Likewise, Fallout 4 still performed better on PS4 even counting Xbone bundles. Unless I'm misinterpreting his post.
Sure!

Electronic Arts's leading title 'Star Wars: Battlefront,' the third-best seller of the November 2015 U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Channel) report, sold 2.10 million unit sales including bundles, or 1.725 million units looking at the software side of things.

So if we look at the top three software when doing a like-to-like comparison factoring in all bundle sales, we have:

1.) Call of Duty: Black Ops III - (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC | Actvision Blizzard)
4.89 million unit sales including bundles

2.) Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC | Bethesda Softworks)
2.54 million unit sales including bundles

3.) Star Wars: Battlefront (PS4, Xbox One, PC | Electronic Arts)
2.10 million unit sales including bundles
Looking ahead to December, I don't think we can easily call the month for PS4 based on November results. PS4 outsold Xbone in November by 243K, but that includes months of deferred preorder sales of BLOPS3 and SW bundles. There will be no such deferred preorders for December. I guess December will still be ... Interesting (TM).

Edit: I'm no sales expert, but my layman opinion is that both companies should extend sale prices throughout at least post-Christmas to take advantage of people putting gift cards, returns, and exchanges toward a new console.

Seems some people missed NDP_Mulcair's post since some are still wondering if BLOPS3 did better on PS4 with bundles included. So here it is again. BLOPS3 still did better on Xbone even with PS4 bundles included. Likewise, Fallout 4 still performed better on PS4 even counting Xbone bundles. Unless I'm misinterpreting his post.

Yeah, Microsoft had COD marketing for years, so the fanbase isn't just going to shift to the PS4 overnight, let alone if there will be a large shift. Also, the bundle was quite expensive ($429) compared to all the other bundles, especially on Black Friday.

We don't know that because we never get a split .
We how much COD sold without and with bundles .
No, we didn't get a split, but I'm assuming his post has the order of sales in ranking order (including bundles). Unless my reading comprehension is off... I guess NDP_Mulcair or another insider can clarify.

bombshell

The order of the systems in the lists is matching sales though.

No, we didn't get a split, but I'm assuming his post has the order of sales in ranking order (including bundles). Unless my reading comprehension is off... I guess NDP_Mulcair or another insider can clarify.

The listings he posted aren't including bundles. It's a simple copy/paste of those orderings from the OP (it has the same misspelling of Activision)

I think just closing the gap in CoD sales is a good enough start. CoD on Xbox would usually outpace CoD on PS by a decent margin. It is now closer and helping move more PS hardware.

N.Domixis

Banned

Looking ahead to December, I don't think we can easily call the month for PS4 based on November results. PS4 outsold Xbone in November by 243K, but that includes months of deferred preorder sales of BLOPS3 and SW bundles. There will be no such deferred preorders for December. I guess December will still be ... Interesting (TM).

Edit: I'm no sales expert, but my layman opinion is that both companies should extend sale prices throughout at least post-Christmas to take advantage of people putting gift cards, returns, and exchanges toward a new console.
baby steps, next game is also sony marketed. Eventually if the partnership lasts long enough it will begin to change.

And also, the cod bundle sold 200K+ those sales would have been on MS's side if sony didnt get marketing.

DR2K

Banned
All the things that went wrong with Rise of the Tomb Raider:

Announced exclusivity
Confirmed PC and PS4 versions in advance
Releasing in November
Releasing the same day as Fallout 4
Making an Xbox One bundle exclusive to Best Buy
Making said exclusive bundle the 1TB model so it had no shot at $400
No promotion from Microsoft or Square Enix.

What a shit show that turned into.

Maybe Microsoft funded the entire game and any sale is free money for SE?

Good repost. I guess that COD is just one of those series that is so fundamentally cemented to a particular console brand it's always going to do better there. Just like how FF, Tekken, SF, and now Destiny, MGS etc. always do better on PS platforms; they're just that associated w/ the ecosystem.

At this point tho Sony doesn't really need COD like that anymore. The franchise is dropping YOY pretty sizably, and I'd argue Destiny has (or is on its way to) supplant it as this gen's goto FPS. I mean, it's still beneficial for them to try brand associating COD w/ PS, but the benefit seems to be dropping every year as the franchise itself is lessening in sales power.

Maybe Microsoft funded the entire game and any sale is free money for SE?
Not worth it to SE and CD for completely stalling the series' growth to a crawl.

They definitely aren't considering doing anything special for the next TR, whatever it turns out to be and however far along it is in dev atm.

DieH@rd

Banned
Woa missed this thread and its 76 pages already? Damn, who killed who

MS tried to out-MAU Sony using several exclusives, but they were decieved by a remaster.
2443456-5792117225-i97P4.gif

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

PS4 has SW $299 deal, which is a "T" game. XB1 has one $299 bundle, Gears a "M" game. I think it will be a big split still. Amazon is showing the power of SW now, #1 in hourly versus #15.

Yep, poor poor CD, the poorest of the indie devs had to run and beg Daddy Warbucks MS for some cash to finish their sequel to a game that sold like 7m.

I didn't make the claim that CD asked for money. But if they did, wouldn't it make sense that this was the reason?

Good summary, literally every possible card was stacked against it. Amazing how many bad decisions were made with this game... the end result is unsurprising. Unfortunate, too, because the game itself is pretty solid.

I didn't know the bundle was a Best Buy exclusive... why?

To Ben Kuchera, it is a surprise.

Bolivar687

Banned
Good repost. I guess that COD is just one of those series that is so fundamentally cemented to a particular console brand it's always going to do better there. Just like how FF, Tekken, SF, and now Destiny, MGS etc. always do better on PS platforms; they're just that associated w/ the ecosystem.

At this point tho Sony doesn't really need COD like that anymore. The franchise is dropping YOY pretty sizably, and I'd argue Destiny has (or is on its way to) supplant it as this gen's goto FPS. I mean, it's still beneficial for them to try brand associating COD w/ PS, but the benefit seems to be dropping every year as the franchise itself is lessening in sales power.

He only wrote that the sales number included bundles, not the platform ordering. It's likely still true but would love to get a confirmation from George.

Also, CoD is not dropping YOY, let alone sizably. If you read his write-up, the fact that the series managed to grow at retail, despite the ongoing switch to digital, means that Activision is likely very happy with the result.

I wonder how many people will be buying SW bundles, not knowing that it will require an Internet connection and additional-cost subscription to even play it. Personal anecdote, my mom was about to buy my nephew a $299 SW bundle, but after talking to me and learning about the online and PS+ requirement she went for the NDC bundle.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I didn't make the claim that CD asked for money. But if they did, wouldn't it make sense that this was the reason?

No.

Occam's Razor

RotTR is going to go up against UC4. It was already announced and fully in production as a MP title. Someone got worried, either Eidos or more likely MS. They made a timed exclusive window deal. UC4 gets delayed and RotTR gets buried by Fallout 4 and other games. The rest is history.

Any other narrative makes far less sense and sounds contrived to make MS look innocent of money hatting.

I wonder how many people will be buying SW bundles, not knowing that it will require an Internet connection and additional-cost subscription to even play it. Personal anecdote, my mom was about to buy my nephew a $299 SW bundle, but after talking to me and learning about the online and PS+ requirement she went for the NDC bundle.
They'll do what they have to do.

Star Wars hype is all that matters.

Boke1879

I think overall it won't matter much. That bundle has the potential to do the same if not better than November. It being $299 is a huge draw and with the movie less than a week away hype and marketing is about to ramp up.

Seriously if they don't have the launch trailer for Battlefront along with the $299 PS4 marketing ahead of the movie that is an advertising fail imo.

Top Bottom