• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

mj1108

Oblivion said:
And yet here you are in a SALES thread arguing about SALES.

I understand those that don't like it, but why do so many (mostly Sony fans) say that they hate sales age only to appear time and time again in sales threads?

They didn't hate it when the PS2 was on top and they were screaming "Nintendo 3rd party".

Next month is crunch time for Sony, if they fail to beat the 360 then they may as well pack up and go home and wait for PS4 time, I mean surely they cant lower the price again in he next 6 months?

Imagine if a year ago someone had posted the 360 would be $349 and would be handsomely outselling the PS3 and PS2 COMBINED

Taurus

dammitmattt said:
But nowhere near as murderous as Halo 3, despite the fact that it was twice as long to sell. I can't believe that Halo 3 has outsold Pokemon Diamond/Pearl in the US. Absolutely amazing.
Great games deserve great sales. :)

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
mr_bishiuk said:
Next month is crunch time for Sony, if they fail to beat the 360 then they may as well pack up and go home and wait for PS4 time, I mean surely they cant lower the price again in he next 6 months?

Imagine if a year ago someone had posted the 360 would be $349 and would be handsomely outselling the PS3 and PS2 COMBINED

PS3 will have an awesome line-up in 2008, and with current-gen production costs through the roof, it would pretty much suck for the whole industry if devs couldn't recoup their spend due to a gimped install base.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Flo_Evans said:
I am part of the problem. I didn't buy R&C for my PS3... I have a wii and a 360 though so I have to much shit to play! Gimmie a fuckin' break. :lol
You disgust me.
*manly spit*

Brashnir

mr_bishiuk said:

Last year the 360 did 511k in November, and I'd expect it to top that number this year. I'm not sure the PS3 will even top 500k, but like you say, they had better get there or you can pretty much close the book on PS3 in America.

Xapati

Desperado said:
PLEASE, please, please my fellow Americans - buy Galaxy...

I hope it does phenomenally.

Sorry, Galaxy is gonna be the next Psychonauts. It's gonna bomb horribly just like every other fucking Mario Title out there.

Deku

Banned
TSA said:
Um...PH did not sell as well in the US as it did in Japan through the same time frame. That's a fact. My issue I raise is I want to know what spin Nintendo puts on it - they seem to not care a game sells well in the west (Twilight Princess), but care rather if a game sells well in Japan (Phantom Hourglass)..

Nothing to quibble about but where did you get this nugget?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Brashnir said:
Last year the 360 did 511k in November, and I'd expect it to top that number this year. I'm not sure the PS3 will even top 500k, but like you say, they had better get there or you can pretty much close the book on PS3 in America.

What is going to get the PS3 to 500k in November - price cut and Uncharted, basically?

ethelred

Deku said:

It's really retarded, either way. Phantom Hourglass is absolutely killing the sales Minish Cap pulled in for its first two months. There's nothing to spin. It's a big success.

GhaleonEB

chespace said:
What is going to get the PS3 to 500k in November - price cut and Uncharted, basically?
Price cut + seasonality + games has to do it. If Sony can't sell more PS3's at $400 this holiday than MS sold 360's at $400 last holiday, they're really hosed, considering what they're packing in the box. Of course, MS had Gears holding down the fort last year, Sony has less hyped games in more genres (R&C, Uncharted, etc.).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Deku said:

Miyamoto talked about it in an interview a few months ago. He said that he was disappointed with TP's sales in Japan, but was quite happy with PH's. And he didn't seem to care too much about the western market performance of TP because he said it's merely doing 'okay'.

Dahbomb

GH3 did gangbusters.

Wii did excellent.

360 still doing good, Halo 3 putting excellent numbers in.

Bomba for Ratchet and Clank, holy crap not even 100K? :lol

PS3 sales hardly surprising, I can almost tell people are waiting for the 40GB version.

Sean

Banned
unomas said:
and the PS3 just has to small of a userbase for it's software to do damage each month.

I don't think that's the reason.

In Xbox 360's first year when it had a comparative userbase, there was lots of huge software success stories on that console. GRAW put up huge numbers, so did Oblivion, Saints Row, Dead Rising, etc.

I'm guessing the PS3 userbase is mostly made up of hardcore gamers with lots of money so I'm not sure why none of the games are selling well. I can understand multiplatform owners picking the 360 version of multiplatform games but that doesn't explain poor sales for exclusive games like Heavenly Sword and Ratchet.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
unomas said:
I bought a Wii for Wii sports, but I'm selling it after thanksgiving because that's all I'll probably ever play on it unless they come up with some other games that interest me.

Have you considered Galaxy?

Dahbomb

Sean said:
I'm guessing the PS3 userbase is mostly made up of hardcore gamers with lots of money so I'm not sure why none of the games are selling well. I can understand multiplatform owners picking the 360 version of multiplatform games but that doesn't explain poor sales for exclusive games like Heavenly Sword and Ratchet.
Considering that GH3 did better than R&C, that tells me a lot of the PS3 userbase is still quite casual. The hardcore audience is very little, percentage wise high but still low number wise.

People easily forget the fiasco that was the PS3 launch in the US. Scalping galore and when people got to Ebay the market was flooded and a lot of non-gamers ended up with PS3s in their house collecting dust. The amount of actual PS3s in the hand of regular gamers is what is low.

J-Rzez

Chipopo said:
and then you read the whoooolllleeee thread lolz

Can't help it that not all my fav titles are in the top ten so I have to hunt for it. Though they SHOULD all be because I said so, and my taste in good games should be adopted by all... :p

sinnergy

I don't feel Uncharted will be a system seller for PS3 imo, I don't think they will sell 500k like X360 did last year. Uncharted doesn't have enough hype.

Sony is in a weird predicament, seems launching early like Sony always did, does indeed give you the edge. They could have countered it by now, if they had some really big games, or at least one, a system seller like Gears, Halo3. MS has been very smart and put out the right games at the right time.

I wish Sony luck in the new year! GO GO GO!

Ceb

Tideas said:
you know, if i can find November 2002's NPD to prove it not so, I would, but that data is kinda hard to find.

The original Ratchet & Clank's debut numbers (Nov '02): 112k. In the June 2003 NPD, it was at 433k.

Yeah, I'm also lol at the usual suspects calling "bomba" so quickly. :lol R&C will have long legs as usual.

Grampasso

OldJadedGamer said:
So where are all the people now that said the that Wii guitar hero would be the best selling version?
Together with the ones saying that 360 HW numbers would have been outselling Wii ones month by month after Halo 3 :lol

sinnergy

Ceb said:
The original Ratchet & Clank's debut numbers (Nov '02): 112k. In the June 2003 NPD, it was at 433k.

Yeah, I'm also lol at the usual suspects calling "bomba" so quickly. :lol R&C will have long legs as usual.

Well that's not the same, it all depends on how many PS2's where sold at that time.

Hammer24

Banned
Considering the relation of PS3 HW and SW numbers I really ask myself, how many PS3´s Sony would be able to sell, if it would not be the cheapest BR player on the market.

GhaleonEB

Grampasso said:
Together with the ones saying that 360 HW numbers would have been outselling Wii ones month by month after Halo 3 :lol
There may have been a few making that prediction, but not many. Results from the prediction thread (189 participants):

[360] 345,779; Expected Range = 244,000 to 500,000
[WII] 429,345; Expected Range = 360,000 to 560,000

GAF overall predicted the Wii to outsell the 360 by a fair margin. Could you find one as an example?

Hammer24 said:
Considering the relation of PS3 HW and SW numbers I really ask myself, how many PS3´s Sony would be able to sell, if it would not be the cheapest BR player on the market.

I think it would be suicide for Sony to release a standalone Blu-Ray that is significantly cheaper than the PS3.

360 + Wii continues to hurt PS3. I'm such a huge 360 fan that I really didn't want to buy a Wii and support Nintendo's continued sales dominance, but I couldn't let Mario Galaxy slip through my fingers. Just beat it tonight and it's great.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Hammer24 said:

Considerably less, I'm sure

dammitmattt said:
But nowhere near as murderous as Halo 3, despite the fact that it was twice as long to sell. I can't believe that Halo 3 has outsold Pokemon Diamond/Pearl in the US. Absolutely amazing.

That much is true. Nintendo was never really about making a splash on the first day. They thrive on outfitting thunder legs on thier IPs though.

Hammer24

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
I think it would be suicide for Sony to release a standalone Blu-Ray that is significantly cheaper than the PS3.

That seriously raises the question what will happen, if another company comes forward with a cheaper player.
Or is this impossible, because Sony still bleeds so much money by selling the PS3 far below manufacturing costs?

Lefty42o

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Considerably less, I'm sure

yup. my main reason for getting mine so early on was for the blu-ray player. i was always going to get one when ffxIII came out but once i got my 1080p tv i said let me get a ps3.

Sharp

Yeesh, some of you seem to really have it in for the PS3.

Anyway, crazy Wii sales, great 360 sales (unsurprisingly; I think it's going to pull a Genesis this generation in that it will come close to owning N.A.), and great DS and PSP sales! I'm especially impressed by FFT on the PSP. Oh, also, GH3 FUCK YEAH even though I'm still pissed that Vicarious Visions screwed us over with the mono sound thing. Sucks for Ratchet & Clank, but I'm sure it'll do better when Sony starts bundling it, and I think Uncharted is going to do better than a lot of you do. It's probably the only game that really makes me want a PS3, because it just looks so fucking good, and from the demo thread it plays well, too! Win-win!

chespace said:
PS3 will have an awesome line-up in 2008, and with current-gen production costs through the roof, it would pretty much suck for the whole industry if devs couldn't recoup their spend due to a gimped install base.

I don't think it would hurt the whole industry, just those companies that stupidly put their horses on the wrong wagon.

No one is forcing any third party... or "independent" dev house from spending mega millions on a game for a low install base. They have a choice and they have to live with those decisions if the game doesn't perform at retail.

Nolan.

I don't think Uncharted will that well personally. This might sound crazy but i'm expecting motorstorm numbers. I don't think the 360 will be hitting 500k in november either, that is not unless ME suddenly builds a lot of hype for itself. Though I think it has more potential to than the ps3 and the 40g.

BigDug13

You have to remember that ps3 sales are split. I finally bought one for bluray only. I don't expect to buy any games for it either. it is the cheapest bluray player capable of profile 1.1 discs.

so simply saying that ps3 hardware install numbers are comparable to 360last year therefore software numbers should be equal doesn't make sense. the 360 doesn't have the dual identity built in.

Nolan. said:
I don't think Uncharted will that well personally. This might sound crazy but i'm expecting motorstorm numbers. I don't think the 360 will be hitting 500k in november either, that is not unless ME suddenly builds a lot of hype for itself. Though I think it has more potential to than the ps3 and the 40g.

Why would it sell? It has little buzz outside of the internet, just like Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, etc. That's not to say the game sucks of course - it seems like a pretty cool game. But I doubt people are gonna rush to the stores to get it, or buy PS3s to play it.

Hammer24

Banned
Nolan. said:
I don't think the 360 will be hitting 500k in november either

You sure with that? I mean, its november - black friday, xmas rampup and all.
Early on I´d say we´ll see ~ 800k Wii, 600k 360, 400k PS3.

Nolan.

Hammer24 said:
You sure with that? I mean, its november - black friday, xmas rampup and all.
Early on I´d say we´ll see ~ 800k Wii, 600k 360, 400k PS3.

Damn I forgot you guys had black friday in that case it should do it easily.

Mohonky

Pity about both Ratchet and PGR4. Ratchet I'm not too surprised at but I was surprised by how few people I noticed playing and buying PGR4. Many people out right panned the game. I thought it was close to if not the best in the series.

Ratchet will have legs for consistent sales so it won't be a big deal. Both are top games though.

Hammer24

Banned
Nolan. said:
Damn I forgot you guys had black friday

Well, not me, I´m european. ;)

in that case it should do it easily.

We could compare to last year:

Month................360............PS3...........Wii
Oct/2006........218,000
Nov/2006........511,000......197,000.....476,000
Dec/2006......1,100,000......491,000.....604,000

mr_bishiuk said:

I predicted that Sony would never pass the 360 in N.A. sales, and lo and behold, I was right. It will probably pass the 360 during the month that Gran Turismo 5 is released. No other month.

However, Sony sold 55,000 units in Japan this week. Even if that number drops, if they can get up to 120,000 units a month in Japan, compared to 20,000 for the 360, that will help them out a lot. They can probably outsell the 360 by at least 100,000 a month in Europe too.

Overall, I think worldwide sales will be about even, as they have been for the last year.

BigDug13 said:
You have to remember that ps3 sales are split. I finally bought one for bluray only. I don't expect to buy any games for it either.

Why the hell do you post on a gaming forum?

Top Bottom