• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

YYZ said:
yea I think Ratchet sales will be nice continuing through to the January NPDs. It's a GREAT game for any parents getting it for new PS3 owners (which hopefully will be many more with the new price, including the younger market).

Parents are buying Wiis and Mario for for the younger market, NOT the PS3 and NOT Ratchet. I wish it was different, but wishing doesn't make it true.

Deku

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
A couple months ago Nintendo reveiled that 3rd parties combined are selling more than all 1st parties combined on Wii. GHIII for Wii is keeping that statement true.

That's in part due to a dearth of software from Nintendo, but 3rd parties have been tracking at 50-60% share since launch last year, though the curtailing of software data official/unofficial has made it difficult to keep track of it.

NPD threads insofar as the 'big software' picture is concerned is a numberless pissing match between the various camps. The most amusing things are when posters try to use the Top 10 *by revenues* to support their pet theory of the day.

mepaco

Weisheit said:
Wii: Shawshank picture!
360: Shawshank picture!
PS3: Shawshank picture!

Awesome. Pretty much my favorite movie. Go Stephen King!

I'm still a little confused by the OP and the stuff listed under the prediction thread part. I'm assuming the sales of GH3 for 360 are higher because they include the non-bundled sales but then why is the Halo 3 number lower?

I know they aren't going to be pretty but is there any way we could get some Zack & Wiki numbers?

Lefty42o said:
u got that right. we see a friend playing a new big game and we need to ask how it is and go pick it up. since ac came out i have ben hit with over 50 messages on how it is and feel i contrinbuted to atleast 10 or more sells.

its crazy.

I wouldn't own CoD4 if it wasn't for XBox Live and my friends list.

And Assassin's Creed is calling to me, too, every time I turn the 360 on. Same thing happened with Crackdown. I tend to avoid this feeling, but sometimes...

AdmiralViscen said:
Bam, this is it. I was just saying exactly this to my friend earlier, haha.

One of my suitemates is a #2, he was recently swayed to 360 :eek:

Word is only now getting out to some people that GTA4 is on 360.

I would argue that for the super casual, many of them don't even know they can get Madden on the 360, and they certainly don't know that it's actually better on the 360. Hell, they might not even know what a 360 is, and if they do, for some reason or other they don't consider it an alternative option.

Lefty42o

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
I wouldn't own CoD4 if it wasn't for XBox Live and my friends list.

And Assassin's Creed is calling to me, too, every time I turn the 360 on. Same thing happened with Crackdown. I tend to avoid this feeling, but sometimes...

peer presure is a bitch. :lol

with live some of those features really help sell more games. One of my friends was ina voice chat while i wa splaying ac and i get excited during this big chase and kill and i explianed it to him. he went right out and got the game.

than we spent the night in a voice chat while we both played so we made a single player game a community experience.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
J-Rzez said:
Don't bother. This is why I didn't really mind when we thought we wouldn't get NPD threads anymore as people consider Sales = More fun than games.

And yet here you are in a SALES thread arguing about SALES.

I understand those that don't like it, but why do so many (mostly Sony fans) say that they hate sales age only to appear time and time again in sales threads?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
dammitmattt said:
PS3 owners (other than me and 74,999 others) fucking suck.

Ratchet and Clank is easily the best title on the system and it's not exactly a niche title. What the fuck are people doing with their PS3s?!? Or PSPs for that matter?!?

It's just a matter of taste. I'm glad people like R&C so much, but it's not something I am going to spend $60 on in this saturated market when all of my friends are playing FPS and sports games every night. For me, platformers are something to buy for $20 in June or July when there's nothing new to play.

I did buy CoD 4 for the PS3 just because I want to play something on it and it was actually comparable to the 360 version, even though I prefer the 360 controller for FPS games.

Dartastic said:
Quick cash in games don't work on Nintendo systems because 3rd parties have games like Super Mario Galaxy to deal with. Your list is practially pointless due to this fact. Tell those 3rd parties to release good games on the Wii, then you might have an argument.

Carnival Games isn't a quick cash-in? Did Ubisoft excrete out another Rabbids game fast enough for you? How about all the stuff that gets ported from PSP with a little waggle added in?

Consider that Wii development is so cheap compared to PS3 and 360 that maybe the games don't have to sell as well as you think.

Sapapayo

Oblivion said:

I understand those that don't like it, but why do so many (mostly Sony fans) say that they hate sales age to appear time and time again in sales threads?

They hate sales-age because sony does poor ?

Seriously... Oblivion has a point, if you don't want to argue about sales, don't post in sales topics ?_?

That's not hard to do, eh.

Lefty42o

Banned
Oblivion said:

I understand those that don't like it, but why do so many (mostly Sony fans) say that they hate sales age to appear time and time again in sales threads?

i know right :lol

i won't even go into my frustartion when i tried to give my honest impressions about a certain demo. than got flamed and than banned for a week.

damned if you damned if you don't

Lefty42o said:
peer presure is a bitch. :lol

with live some of those features really help sell more games. One of my friends was ina voice chat while i wa splaying ac and i get excited during this big chase and kill and i explianed it to him. he went right out and got the game.

than we spent the night in a voice chat while we both played so we made a single player game a community experience.

Yup, same shit happens here. It really adds a ton of pleasure to console ownership, totally worth the $3.80 a month.

I don't know why it gets dogged on so much here, except that the people who bitch about it must not actually use it.

Lefty42o said:
i know right :lol

i won't even go into my frustartion when i tried to give my honest impressions about a certain demo. than got flamed and than banned for a week.

damned if you damned if you don't

I have totally avoided any discussion of Uncharted here.

Can't say why :p

Guileless said:
It's just a matter of taste. I'm glad people like R&C so much, but it's not something I am going to spend $60 on in this saturated market when all of my friends are playing FPS and sports games every night. For me, platformers are something to buy for $20 in June or July when there's nothing new to play.

I did buy CoD 4 for the PS3 just because I want to play something on it and it was actually comparable to the 360 version, even though I prefer the 360 controller for FPS games.

My dear Ole Miss fan, that's a crappy reason to buy a game on a system. Why not get the version with the better controller? There are plenty of movies to watch on your PS3 :)

Also, Ratchet isn't really a platformer. It controls like an FPS, and it's more like an 80/20 split in favor of shooting. Also, I play FPS/sports games just about every night, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy Ratchet and Mario! Plus, it's a single-player game so why does it matter what your friends are playing???

Hell, at least give it a rental - you'll probably finish it before it's due back. I can't convince you to change your taste, but it's just a fucking joy to play and I hate that people who don't know any better (thinking it's just a platformer) aren't even giving it a chance!

Lefty42o

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Yup, same shit happens here. It really adds a ton of pleasure to console ownership, totally worth the $3.80 a month.

I don't know why it gets dogged on so much here, except that the people who bitch about it must not actually use it.

its like crack :lol

AdmiralViscen said:

They can't be bothered to give up a fucking latte each month in order to have a good online component????? I don't know, but when they are spending $60/month at least for new games I don't understand the bitching about something that costs less than the sales tax on said $60 game.

Lefty42o said:
maybe so but the real story is 3rd party sales. thats where microsoft is really mopping the floor.
Ehh, they're not that different from the overall. Do the quicky 20% revenue adjustment as a few others have done, look at the userbases, and it would work out to the average X360 owner buying 17% more third party games than the average Wii owner this month.

Of course, that 20% difference based on $60/50 games is not always a safe figure, especially in a month when Guitar Hero III with its completely non-standard pricing was a large factor.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So how many big selling multi-platform games are coming out on next-gen consoles this month?

Rock Band
Call of Duty 4
Assassin's Creed
Need for Speed ProStreet
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men?
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga?

And Uncharted, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mass Effect are coming out as well. November will be HUGE, we need another video. We'll probably be missing a lot of numbers. :(

gcfan2k5

360] 325k
[GBA] 75k
[NDS] 480k
[PS2] 190k
[PS3] 145k
[PSP] 180k
[WII] 440k

Wii 519K
Nintendo DS 458K
Xbox 360 366K
PSP 286K
PlayStation 2 184K
PlayStation 3 121K

I lowballed just about everyone, and highballed ps3..... I never expected wii sales to increase 30% weekly over last month.

Lefty42o

Banned
dammitmattt said:
They can't be bothered to give up a fucking latte each month in order to have a good online component????? I don't know, but when they are spending $60/month at least for new games I don't understand the bitching about something that costs less than the sales tax on said $60 game.

heres the thing.

the ps2 was not unfied online so all those relationships were lost when the ps3 came around. smartest thing ms did was carry over your gamertag and friends.

alot of the guys i played with on my ps2 games are gone now. and the friends i have on my ps3 are guys off my 360 friends list.

so i look at the ps3 like the xbox last gen. specially on that online part.

if the 360 did not have live i doubt it would be my defacto console of choice. its that integrated into how i game and helps dictate my software purchases.

not to mention achievments lol.

Lefty42o

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Ehh, they're not that different from the overall. Do the quicky 20% revenue adjustment as a few others have done, look at the userbases, and it would work out to the average X360 owner buying 17% more third party games than the average Wii owner this month.

Of course, that 20% difference based on $60/50 games is not always a safe figure, especially in a month when Guitar Hero III with its completely non-standard pricing was a large factor.

we aren't talking units we talking revenue. it makes for a good argument to add the 20 percent diff in but in the end we are talking revenue.

but i understand what you mean.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I blame Rachet and Clank numbers on SONY's Poor ass Marketing which began like a week after the game was released. Someone should get fired over this.

Lefty42o

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:

i just had to add that tidbit in. i was really upset with being banned for trying to be honest. i should have ignored those flaming me. i learned my lesson lol.

its awsome i got to come back intime for npd day. :D

Lefty42o

Banned
PistolGrip said:
I blame Rachet and Clank numbers on SONY's Poor ass Marketing which began like a week after the game was released. Someone should get fired over this.

i don't think it would have mattered. the game had a demo and everything.

the fact is we ahd cod4, halo 3, orange box, ac , smg all comming out in this 30-60 day period.

and my belief is alot of us ps3 owners also own atleast 1 of the other consoles. so right now alot of ps3 software is actually competing with the other software on the other consoles.

had it been released earlier say early sept i expect it would have sold way more. marketing or not.

look at pgr4. it got sucked into the same pefect storm of games.

Dalthien

Lefty42o said:
we aren't talking units we talking revenue. it makes for a good argument to add the 20 percent diff in but in the end we are talking revenue.

but i understand what you mean.
But in some ways revenue is an even worse barometer than units sold.

If a publisher takes in 50% more revenue on one platform, but the costs were 100% greater on that platform - is this publisher really happy about the situation?

Comparing units sold doesn't mean a whole lot either, without knowing other variables such as how many were sold at full price, vs. budget price, etc. But at least with units sold, you can look and say more people played the game on this platform. Revenue is a meaningless figure without knowing the expenses related to that revenue.

Lefty42o

Banned
Dalthien said:
But in some ways revenue is an even worse barometer than units sold.

If a publisher takes in 50% more revenue on one platform, but the costs were 100% greater on that platform - is this publisher really happy about the situation?

Comparing units sold doesn't mean a whole lot either, without knowing other variables such as how many were sold at full price, vs. budget price, etc. But at least with units sold, you can look and say more people played the game on this platform. Revenue is a meaningless figure without knowing the expenses related to that revenue.

there is no good measure cause things are so fragmented this gen.

all we know is seeing more 3rd party wii games in the top 10 is a good thing. lets hope devs start relaly puting some more money into making more high quality wii games.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I really have come to think the community is a big driving force of the 360. I'm in the middle of playing Assassin's Creed and someone on my friends list asks me how is the game. It's the things like that that seems to drive these games. I didn't buy Blue Dragon the first day out after reviews, but I saw a few people on my friends list that I know are RPG lovers playing it. I asked them, and then I got it afterwards. I came to love it as well. All of my friends have a 360. I'm the only one with the PS3. It's become a cycle now.

Lefty42o

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
I really have come to think the community is a big driving force of the 360. I'm in the middle of playing Assassin's Creed and someone on my friends list asks me how is the game. It's the things like that that seems to drive these games. I didn't buy Blue Dragon the first day out after reviews, but I saw a few people on my friends list that I know are RPG lovers playing it. I asked them, and then I got it afterwards. I came to love it as well. All of my friends have a 360. I'm the only one with the PS3. It's become a cycle now.

lol u like 5 mins late :D

as i said earlier i have helped push at least 10 more ac sales.

Dalthien

Lefty42o said:
all we know is seeing more 3rd party wii games in the top 10 is a good thing. lets hope devs start relaly puting some more money into making more high quality wii games.
I think we can all agree on that.

gcfan2k5

sonycowboy said:
More SW:

NR Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (PS3) 105,800
NR Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (PSP) 98,100
NR Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3) 74,500
NR Project Gotham Racing 4 (Xbox 360) 38,300

Poor GH3 & Ratchet. What the hell happened to PGR4

And from our prediction thread.

[360 Ace Combat 6] = 92.5K
[360 Guitar Hero III] = 490.9K
[360 Halo 3] = 394.5K
[360 The Orange Box] = 238.4K
[NDS Zelda: Phantom Hourglass] = 262.8K
[PS2 Guitar Hero III] = 502.7K
[PS3 Ratchet & Clank Future] = 74.5K
[PS3 Guitar Hero III] = 105.8K
[WII Guitar Hero III] = 286.3K
[WII Metroid Prime 3] = 45.2K

PGR4 bombed hard.... wow.... now i know im not crazy noticing theres damn near nobody online on it except me.

Dartastic said:
I would refer you to my earlier comment about "Wii 3rd party games not being shit." How many of those are actually quality? Because honestly, who cares how many "exclusives" there are if they're all terrible. I would argue Nights has potential, Zack is awesome (but I don't know how that panned out) and possibly Umbrella Chronicles. Quick cash in games don't work on Nintendo systems because 3rd parties have games like Super Mario Galaxy to deal with. Your list is practially pointless due to this fact. Tell those 3rd parties to release good games on the Wii, then you might have an argument.
That wasnt his point thhough.

Guileless

dammitmattt said:
My dear Ole Miss fan, that's a crappy reason to buy a game on a system. Why not get the version with the better controller? There are plenty of movies to watch on your PS3 :)

Also, Ratchet isn't really a platformer. It controls like an FPS, and it's more like an 80/20 split in favor of shooting. Also, I play FPS/sports games just about every night, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy Ratchet and Mario! Plus, it's a single-player game so why does it matter what your friends are playing???

Hell, at least give it a rental - you'll probably finish it before it's due back. I can't convince you to change your taste, but it's just a fucking joy to play and I hate that people who don't know any better (thinking it's just a platformer) aren't even giving it a chance!

My PS3 gets quite a workout upscaling DVDs. I watched For Your Eyes Only tonight, and it looked great. I like the part where Bond is shagging the girl on the yacht and ignoring the congratulatory phone call from Thatcher.

My time and money are finite, so I would rather spend them on games I will play with my friends right now while they are still popular online. A single player game like Ratchet will be the same now or next summer, and with all these great games costing $60 you have to make some choices. I'll play it (and Heavenly Sword) eventually.

Lefty42o

Banned
gcfan2k5 said:
PGR4 bombed hard.... wow.... now i know im not crazy noticing theres damn near nobody online on it except me.

yeah. i am big pgr fan but i had to pass on pgr4 casue of all the games comming out. will get it down the road though

Somnia

Agent Icebeezy said:

I think you're right...live is whats making these damn games sell so well...I swear to god while playing Kane & Lynch tonight I had 5 of my friends all send me voice messages asking me about the game...we should get money for advertising for them! lol

gcfan2k5 said:

Mine is still in the wrapper :/

I'm a huge MSR/PGR fan, but like I said when it came out, the timing was absolutely terrible. It should've come out next March.

Lefty42o

Banned
Somnia said:
I think you're right...live is whats making these damn games sell so well...I swear to god while playing Kane & Lynch tonight I had 5 of my friends all send me voice messages asking me about the game...we should get money for advertising for them! lol

lol viral marketing lol

dammitmattt said:

I'm a huge MSR/PGR fan, but like I said when it came out, the timing was absolutely terrible. It should've come out next March.

thats what i was thinking as well. march is when i might finally get it

Guileless said:
My PS3 gets quite a workout upscaling DVDs. I watched For Your Eyes Only tonight, and it looked great. I like the part where Bond is shagging the girl on the yacht and ignoring the congratulatory phone call from Thatcher.

My time and money are finite, so I would rather spend them on games I will play with my friends right now while they are still popular online. A single player game like Ratchet will be the same now or next summer, and with all these great games costing $60 you have to make some choices. I'll play it (and Heavenly Sword) eventually.

Completely understandable - I mainly wanted you to know that it wasn't really a platformer. Also, if you don't care about medals/skill points, you can beat both of those games in about 12 hours total, though I honestly wouldn't bother with Heavenly Sword.

tanod

when is my burrito
dammitmattt said:

Yeah. Microsoft really fucked up on that one. They pretty much killed the franchise on purpose.

Poor Ratchet indeed. Hopefully the game will sell steadily for a while.

And poor poor PGR4. Jeez, I really enjoyed the game and I'll continue to play it for a while, what the hell.

AdmiralViscen said:
What's with all the doom and gloom?

Why do you have such a seething hatred for Sony?

I bet you've never played a Sony console. In fact, I bet you don't play games at all! Enjoy your spreadsheets!

:). I'm just calling it as a I see it. Sony's doing much worse than Microsoft and Nintendo. The PS3 has neither the momentum of Wii's HW sales nor the consistency and volume of 360's software sales. What else do you want me to say?

Dalthien said:
Not really. The 360 was 54%, Wii was 30% software revenue. Keep in mind that Wii games typically need to be boosted by 20% in order to match the X360 price.

For a rough breakdown, in terms of software units, add 20% (revenue markup) to the Wii's 30% share, and in terms of software units sold, the Wii is at 36% vs. 54% (for a relative comparison - not actual percentages) for the X360.

Software units ratio (360:Wii) = 54/36 = 1.5:1
Hardware units ratio (360:Wii) = 1.41:1

Software is selling slightly better on the X360 than would be expected by a straight install base comparison - but it is actually quite close.

I'm glad you did that.

On one hand, while Wii Play is 'software,' there's no doubt that its sales numbers somewhat skew the real Wii software picture. Still, even looking at similarly adjusted versions of the 3rd party percentages that M$ used in their press release, the 360's software ecosystem isn't quite as dominant as the raw data might suggest.

On the other hand, though, sales are sales. Regardless of the reasons, the 360 is a freak when it comes to software performance. It's really quite astounding.

can't wait to see November sales.

mario + resident evil + fire emblem + zelda crossbow training( yes it will sell alot, like wii play)

Wii should have a killer month.

xbox 360 a well so many great games for that in november.

My roomates got mass effect today at rogers video :p they broke the sale date haha

gcfan2k5

BenjaminBirdie said:
I keep telling you. Except for about 200,000 of them, they all have 360's. It's the same userbase that had no interest in Blue Dragon or Viva Pinata, no matter how good they were or how awesome they looked.

Thats a shame too, because i own both and im quite enjoying Blue Dragon at the moment (its paced very similar to my favorite RPG series (dragon quest!). Viva Pinata is fucking GREAT.. I cant tell you how many hours ive dumped into my garden (and im going to kill
Professor Pester for killing my roario before i could breed him =(
Truly proves that Rare still has what it takes to make a great game. The pc version had better sell alot so Rare makes another one.

NPD not counting Wii Sports whwn it is arguably largely responsible for the Wii's success should more than make up for the Wii Play "skew", imo. Just look at Japan, Wii Sports consistently outsells Wii Play.

mugwhump

JoshuaJSlone said:
Seems not far off from even. As of the mid-point of this month, the hardware split was something like 51% X360, 35% Wii, 14% PS3. Wii games averaging a lower price, similar sales create less revenue.
srsly?

besada

Banned
RSTEIN said:
I'm like really pissed here... I don't even own a fuckin PS3! Jesus! WTF! Buy software people! WTF are you PS3 console owners smoking? YOU DON'T BUY RATCHET & MOTHERFUCKIN CLANK?

Too many 360 games to buy this month, and I'm not a huge traditional platformer fan. I am buying Uncharted, though.

Guileless

dammitmattt said:
Completely understandable - I mainly wanted you to know that it wasn't really a platformer. Also, if you don't care about medals/skill points, you can beat both of those games in about 12 hours total, though I honestly wouldn't bother with Heavenly Sword.

I must have a hard time thinking of a game as a shooter unless it has hyperextreme bald space marines chainsawing aliens and dropping f-bombs.

Top Bottom