• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Enemyglider, you forgot to put the funny in your chalkboard. It's just dumb conzolewarz you'd expect on GameFAQs or Youtube comments that way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
legend166 said:
What did Psychonauts do first month?

215k first month for Brutal Legend would be a good number, but I'm not expecting this to have any legs at all. Still a decent number. 500k would have made it a great success any other generation, but after a 4 year development cycle I'm not so sure.
It's on a lot of Black Friday bombing sales. It might get a decent LTD honestly, just at a lower price point than they probably hoped.

Thunder Monkey said:
THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY?!

It seemed angry more then anything.

Yeah, that was my thought as well.

Rough stuff for Forza and Brutal Legend, but nice job Borderlands. We can expect a long life of support for it now.

Road

After a slight reprieve in September, U.S. video game sales slumped once again in October, hurt by the economic turmoil that's cutting into consumer spending.

Market researcher NPD Group said Thursday that total sales of video game hardware, software and accessories fell 19 percent in October from the same month last year, to $1.07 billion.

Sales of gaming hardware fell by nearly a quarter to $380.7 million. Software sales declined 18 percent, to $572.7 million
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=9069477

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
kassatsu said:
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” - 910k (US LTD through Sept)

Forza 3 will never beat a demo at this rate
While I'm not about to deny the power of the Gran Turismo brand over Forza, this is a rather unfair comparison. 1.5 years vs less than a month. Plus the original Forza 2 went on to sell millions with a similar opening month so one would expect Forza 3 to do similar.

chubigans said:
At least three to four days. And it won't chart next month with Modern Warfare and Assassin's Creed ripping up the sales.

Charting is a bad metric. Getting in the top ten isn't the goal, selling a lot is. Something could chart with 80k sales in some months, in others you're out with 200k, so talking about what will and won't chart is pretty stupid.

JDeluis

DaveTheSnake said:
Ratchet came out on October 27, so it had 5 days. Great numbers for Uncharted. Sony announced today that it has sold over a million copies since it has come out. Is anyone surprised at no Forza? I certainly am not. Wow at Borderlands on the 360. I gotta get out and buy that.

And now we wait until the MW2 ownage of November NPDS comes through :D .

FORZA MOTORSPORT 3 (360; Oct-09) 175,000

Archie said:
I thought DJ Hero was supposed to tap into a new audience who has been ignored by rock games. What happened?

Actually, it might have done well in a chart sorted by revenue. Im sure well find out before the day ends

Mrbob

200K for both platforms is a bomb. Especially with the marketing behind it.

Oh and 500K pissed off NBA2K owners. 400K+ already sold more than likely!

Guy Legend

Is that all for Forza 3? Gran Turismo 5 is going to steamroll Forza in sales when it is released, despite the smaller installed base.

Ouch at Forza 3 numbers. The lack of friends on Live playing it and it's spot in the Live Activity report had me wondering about it's sales.

Seeing that these games are generally very front loaded, saying "it was only out a week!" might not mean much. It certainly will not chart in Nov but maybe we can get the data on it and see what where it ends up.

Sucks for Turn10 as they put out one hell of a game but as we've seen over and over, sometimes it doesn't matter.

Spasm

Rlan said:
Forza 3 came out on October 27, 2009, it didn't have a lot of sales time.
And there's 650,000 people on the (admittedly WW) leaderboards. Better 2nd month performance?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Frillen said:
AWii should easily sell over 1 Million in November.

It did 2 million last November. It might not get that high, but it will do 1 million in its sleep.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
gerg said:
The Wii came in lower than I had expected (read: "hoped"?), although what I had expected may have been unrealistic. I had made claims that the Wii would do better this holiday season than last, and I wonder if that's true; I'm thinking that anywhere from 1.4 million to 1.6 million is possible?

Also, does anyone have the total of the 360 and PS3's sales last year? Is one just taking demand away from the other, or has the total demand for both consoles actually increased?

PS3 was 190k last year, 360 was 371k.

So sales YoY for the HD platforms combined are spookily similar.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I bought Borderlands on PS3. I think it's a pretty good port. The textures are very sharp and the framerate is only bad when you are driving very fast!

Wow, good numbers for U2. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it has similar legs as the first one. Now, fuck me sideways with that Borderlands number. Wouldn't be shocked if it did over 500k with the PS3/PC versions tossed in.

Really glad Borderlands paid off for Gearbox, always been a fan of the studio and look forward to seeing what they have coming next.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
DeaconKnowledge said:
So can somebody explain to me why the 360's October was so shitty? IT tremendously low for a holiday console in its 4th year.
1,6 million persons bought other consoles?

Wallach

Ultimo hombre said:
Ouch at Forza 3 numbers. The lack of friends on Live playing it and it's spot in the Live Activity report had me wondering about it's sales.

Seeing that these games are generally very front loaded, saying "it was only out a week!" might not mean much. It certainly will not chart in Nov but maybe we can get the data on it and see what where it ends up.

Sucks for Turn10 as they put out one hell of a game but as we've seen over and over, sometimes it doesn't matter.

As mentioned, Forza 2 wasn't front loaded at all. It actually had very good legs.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DeaconKnowledge said:
So can somebody explain to me why the 360's October was so shitty? IT tremendously low for a holiday console in its 4th year.

Yeah I didn't realize how poor they were until I looked at last years as a comparison. It's not that much ahead of PS3's performance from last year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
eznark said:
So what was Borderlands total? Pushing 750,000?
The trick is finding out what the PC numbers are. The game seems to be popping up on Steam a lot, so it's probably actually a fairly relevant number in this case.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Second PS3 game at number 1? (After MGS4)

Anyhow, anyone who owned Forza 3 and was looking at the leaderboards probably shouldn't be surprised with the sales. Went from ~250-300k players to ~500k players after North American launch. I suspect that the kind of people who buy a game in it's first few days are the kind of people with xbox live also.

Actually at the rate of 175k every 5 days, it will easily catch it :p

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
elrechazao said:
Charting is a bad metric. Getting in the top ten isn't the goal, selling a lot is. Something could chart with 80k sales in some months, in others you're out with 200k, so talking about what will and won't chart is pretty stupid.
All I'm saying is that this month was going to be the month for Forza to top the sales charts, and it barely made it, and it won't be there next month.

Doesn't mean it won't have a long sales lifespan.

eznark

Banned
GitarooMan said:
Really glad Borderlands paid off for Gearbox, always been a fan of the studio and look forward to seeing what they have coming next.
Borderlands 2!!!

The trick is finding out what the PC numbers are. The game seems to be popping up on Steam a lot, so it's probably actually a fairly relevant number in this case.

Yeah, I think 750 might be a conservative total. I wouldn't doubt another 400,00 between the PS3 ad PC.

Happy for Uncharted 2..it deserves a little more I think but its good to see it chart at over 500k. :D

kassatsu said:

At what rate exactly? It came out at the end of October.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
I was expecting at least 100k more from Uncharted from the sound of the hype train that rolled through here. Anything over 500k is impressive, yet it's slightly underwhelming considering it's PS3's biggest exclusive.

Rlan said:
Forza 3 came out on October 27, 2009, it didn't have a lot of sales time.
I remember the same argument was used for LittleBigPlanet this time last year and Killzone 2 earlier this year. Racing games have taken a hit across the board, just look at last month with NFS: Shift, DiRT 2, and Gran Turismo and Motorstorm PSP. Forza isn't quite as front loaded as the aforementioned PS3 games, but I don't think the sales will be alright given more time. Will it continue to sell? For sure, but I think it will struggle to reach 1 million LTD in NA.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Really good numbers for Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend and the Wii hardware, by the way.
Did the PSPGo actually come out?
Lolz.

[Nintex]

It looks like Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics isn't going to keep SEGA/Sammy afloat for another year, it was out in October right?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Uncharted 2 charted to the top of the NPDs:D

lordoftherink said:
I remember the same argument was used for LittleBigPlanet this time last year and Killzone 2 earlier this year. Racing games have taken a hit across the board, just look at last month with NFS: Shift, DiRT 2, and Gran Turismo and Motorstorm PSP. Forza isn't quite as front loaded as the aforementioned PS3 games, but I don't think the sales will be alright given more time. Will it continue to sell? For sure, but I think it will struggle to reach 1 million LTD in NA.

Do not under estimate the power of Hardware bundles.

Azure J

So what's the LTD of Wii Sports Resort currently? I just want to know how many MotionPlus units are out in the wild now.

Edit: WTF happened to you Nintex? *Ganders at his tag* :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I would like GAF to do a study to see what percentage of first month sales are actually first DAY. If we could somehow calculate these figures, we could get over the "but x number of days" thing.

DMeisterJ

Banned
175k?

Is that how much a definitive game sells in a month? If so, Gran Turismo is going to do shit, seeing as that it isn't the definitive racer.

:lol

Top Bottom