• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
operon said:
any sign of mama robotniks gifs yet
No, but we have a crappy attempt at trolling badly disguised as a humourless gif in post #4.

AceBandage said:
Was it really good numbers for BL, though?
I mean 200K across three platforms, for the size and effort that went into it?
Yes, it's Scahfer's best selling game, but this was suppose to be his break out game, too.
Honestly, I expected it to do worse.

Why For?

Banned
PSP Go! gets the treatment it deserved to be honest. Way to go Sony you tits.

All you had to do was let me rip my UMDs to it, or redownload them for free and I would have picked one up even at $449AU. As it stands, I'll keep playing games on the iPhone and my PSP(I actually have 4 of them :lol ) will remain packed away.

Take your medicine now, dicks.

How much did people really expect Brutal legend to sell? I got it, but didn't expect more than 500K lifetime.

Also, I just remembered that PSPGo sales are tied to the old models too.

ouch for sony on the handheld front...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Half of the Wii Fit units sold were the bundles, a very high percentage compared to Japan.

Mrbob

Y2Kev said:
I bought Snorederlands. I was right, snorederlands confirmed, btw. Nah, I like it.

I bought it on PS3 because I bought Dragon Age on 360 and I don't like disk swapping.

You are doing it wrong you bought both games for the wrong platform. :p

:enemyglider: said:
25ilvo9.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEE4mvqi4pc
I'm still trying to figure out what the point of this picture was for. Can anyone explain?

gerg

I just did some quick calculations and the difference between this year's sales for the 360 and the PS3 and last year's sales for those two consoles is roughly 10k units. Take from that what you will.

Sipowicz

Banned
uncharted 2 did really well considering the PS3 install base. so did borderlands and the new wii fit

forza did pretty crap though. shame about the PSP too

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Averon said:
Didn't people make the same excuse for LBP and Killzone 2?
And this excuse
almost
never works.

Megadragon15 said:
I'm still trying to figure out what the point of this picture was for. Can anyone explain?
Conzolewarz. It doesn't even attempt to be witty.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Rlan said:
Forza 2 was also bundled to hell as well, much like PGR3 was.
Theoretically, if a game gradually sells over the course of several months and does it well, shouldn't the sequel have a much larger bang in sales than the launch of the previous game?

Having a launch that's similar to F2 isn't exactly inspiring to me.

Also, I could see Ratchet not charting a mile away. Should have been a nice summer release instead.

Why For? said:
Thank god Uncharted go the spot it should have. Hopefully it hangs in the top 5 next month after Call of Duty takes up the first 2 spots and NSMBWii takes up number 3.

I'd be surprised if UC2 charts next month. Most of the big games of this type on the HD systems are incredibly front loaded.

neojubei said:
Do not under estimate the power of Hardware bundles.
Yeah, I didn't really follow sales around Forza 2's launch, so I guess 3 definitely could follow that same trend. Does anyone have Forza 2's LTD in the States? I couldn't find a definitive number.

Frillen

DMeisterJ said:
Yepp.

LBP and KZ2 didn't get excused but Forza does? Nope.

175k is a terrible opening, for how 'definitive' it is.

LBP and KillZone 2 also had terrible openings then. But both ended up selling decently. So I think we'll have to wait a bit before calling Forza 3 a bomb, right Mr Sony PR guy?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jocchan said:
And this excuse
almost
never works.

The only time it seems to have some validity is with certain Wii and DS titles that are not at all front loaded.

CaptainABAB

NeoGIF said:
Microsoft, it is time to open your eyes and get off your high horse. 360 Arcade = $99, Elite SKU = $199.99. Better make it happen.

They will have a "soft" price cut - where retailers will include $50 gift cards, which was frequent in the 2nd xmas season. (That's how I got my Pro at Target)

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
WII FIT PLUS* (WII; Oct-09) 441,000

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

We need the full numbers for Wii Fit Plus including the ones that were bundled with the balance board. It's possible Wii Fit was actually #1.

Nintendo's press release will probably have them.

Tiktaalik

That's a pretty big gap between the Xbox version of Borderlands and the PS3 version. Of course the PS3 guys did have Uncharted 2 to play this month.

harSon

Banned
NeoGIF said:
Microsoft, it is time to open your eyes and get off your high horse. 360 Arcade = $99, Elite SKU = $199.99. Better make it happen.

Pretty sure Forza 3 will have better numbers next month.

Also, NBA Live series is now that other Basketball game. :lol

Why? The Xbox 360 is already one of the more successful consoles of all time, hardware and software sales are still decent at the current price point, and most importantly, they're making a profit.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DMeisterJ said:
Yepp.

It's a bit unfortunate given all the talk Turn10 talked, but in fairness, something like LBP for example may have continued to bubble away long after it dropped off our sales radar. It certainly did in other territories, and ultimately accumulated good sales (and continues to grow).

So I wouldn't write it off just like that, you never know, F3 may keep bubbling.

Y2Kev said:
I bought Snorederlands. I was right, snorederlands confirmed, btw. Nah, I like it.

I bought it on PS3 because I bought Dragon Age on 360 and I don't like disk swapping.

i wanna write some lovecraftian nightmare where all your games turn into borderlands on 360 and all your Sony Computer Entertainment™ products turn into stuff but im bored and cant do it right now im tired and i dont have a game to play right now

Tiktaalik

VideoMan said:
We need the full numbers for Wii Fit Plus including the ones that were bundled with the balance board. It's possible Wii Fit was actually #1.

Nintendo's press release will probably have them.

huh?

Wii Fit Plus came in second for the month. Roughly half the sales were generated by the bundled SKU, which points to a lot of newcomers to the franchise.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
schuelma said:
The only time it seems to have some validity is with certain Wii and DS titles that are not at all front loaded.
Hence the spoiler-tagged "almost": the only exception are slow burning titles whose long legs are supported by word of mouth.

Spasm said:
And there's 650,000 people on the (admittedly WW) leaderboards. Better 2nd month performance?

Forza 2 posted a higher second months NPD than it did the first month that it was released.

neojubei said:
Do not under estimate the power of Hardware bundles.

Bundled games are not counted towards NPD numbers.

DMeisterJ said:
Yepp.

Forza 2 posted a higher second months NPD than it did the first month that it was released.

DarkUSS said:
But GT4 was released on PS2 and its huge install base.

No way dude. A 100 million userbase and a 20 million userbase is the exact same. You crazy!

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I'd be surprised if UC2 charts next month. Most of the big games of this type on the HD systems are incredibly front loaded.

inFamous posted a higher second month than it's first month of release.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Way to go, Naughty Dog.

Fuck, what's with the Ratchet hate? You guys are brutal :lol

Zophar

Those Forza numbers are gonna serve a lot of people some crow. It's PGR4 all over again. So much for the GT killer! It'll probably do 2 million tops worldwide, unless MS decides to bundle it again.

Next month we'll get the memo that MS is disbanding Turn 10. :(

Speevy

Banned
I don't think hardcore driving nuts comprise such a high percentage of gaming's console userbases anymore.

I think we'll be ultimately disappointed in Forza AND GT's numbers before it's all said and done.

System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)
Wii: 73.8 (June 2, 2008)
PS3: 74.2 (May 30, 2008)
X360: 99.5 (December 5, 2007)

Total ownership update: Last month X360 lead Wii 1.576 billion weeks to 1.540 billion, a difference of 36 million. This month X360 leads Wii 1.641 billion to 1.627 billion, a difference of 14 million. Wii is definitely taking the lead next month.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Borderlands is a classic case of the Xbox Live community doin' it's thing. The marketing for BL resulted in the PS3 sales, where the XBL community dug the online MMO vibes, told their XBL friends, spread it like wildfire, and sold a tremendous amount. I don't think any other online community can sell games like XBL can.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Don't see why everyone's happy about the Uncharted 2 sales..they're OK..but will PS3 ever have a million seller out the gate like 360 does all the time? Look at how Borderlands did. Not that far behind Uncharted and I'm sure we'd all agree Uncharted is the bigger release. And if you add in the PS3 sales of Borderlands it probably tied or beat all of Uncharted 2 (in America at least).

Top Bottom