• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Doesn't seem like Aqua though hmmm

She replied to me *swoon*

Aqua on the Twitter sphere: do you own NTDOY, NTDOF or 7974?

Only she would know.

cheezcake

PS4 has more games than Xbox1. By a fair amount. And get more every month.

http://www.listwar.com/

That's a pretty dumb list. A lot of those titles on both PS4 and XB1 retail lists pretty much have no influence on what console people buy.

PS4 random titles:

Natural Doctrine
Samurai Warriors 4
Putty Squad
Pinball Arcade
Air Conflicts: Vietnam
Le Tour De France
Bound by Flame

XB1 Random titles:

Zumba Fitness
Fantasia
Fighter Within
Shape Up
Project Spark (not random but holds no clout in system selling potential)

Not sure how much clout indie games have these days when most people decide what console they want. Definitely more than it used to, could be a non trivial reason why PS4 still dominates sales.

That's a pretty dumb list. A lot of those titles on both PS4 and XB1 retail lists pretty much have no influence on what console people buy.

PS4 random titles:

Natural Doctrine
Samurai Warriors 4
Putty Squad
Pinball Arcade
Le Tour De France
Bound by Flame

XB1 Random titles:

Zumba Fitness
Fantasia
Fighter Within
Shape Up

Not sure how much clout indie games have these days when most people decide what console they want. Definitely more than it used to, could be a non trivial reason why PS4 still dominates sales.

He said PS4 had less games. It in fact has more empirically. You don't like those games? Good for you. PS4 still has more games and is selling better.

Treating that list as war fodder is the wrong way to look at it.

That site is good for an overview of all the exclusives of different kinds, both released and upcoming. It helps give a sense into the console's current and future pipeline of games.

Lemondish

PS4 random titles:

Natural Doctrine
Samurai Warriors 4
Putty Squad
Pinball Arcade
Le Tour De France
Bound by Flame

XB1 Random titles:

Zumba Fitness
Fantasia
Fighter Within
Shape Up

The poster he was responding to specifically stated that the PS4 has less games, which as you saw, is factually incorrect. I also think it's kind of dangerous for us to analyze the importance of individual titles on system sale performance when we can't even quantify the requirements for which a title is labeled a 'system-seller'. Not to mention the fact that NeoGAF's consensus opinions tend to be outliers in most cases and we routinely overestimate the importance of factors we find most important, like exclusives.

cheezcake

He said PS4 had less games. It in fact has more empirically. You don't like those games? Good for you. PS4 still has more games and is selling better.

The point is that the pure quantity of exclusive retail titles, which factors in games which most people have never heard of, is a pretty dumb metric to attribute to the sales performance of the console.
Also even if you factor out the random games PS4 has a couple more titles, I was just pointing out that the list you linked is not a very good way to back up your point

vinnygambini

The twitter account didn't answer my PM question, I believe it to be fake as I doubt aqua would forget the only PM about Pachter I've ever sent her

Well I asked what type of Nintendo stock she owns on this thread - I know what she owns, but haven't seen her reply.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wii and wii u are only like ten K apart or so, with sky landers being #1 and #2 respectively.

I mean not that high but those games sell best during holidays not launch month tho. Same thing as just dance. Which is like, no where

Wait I'm confused by the "with skylanders being #1 and #2 respectively) part. It sold the most on 360 right?

It's possible. I give MS like a 80% chance of winning the month, and Sony like 20%

I don't think it will be but we'll see

People are forgetting black Friday.

The ps4 bundles with gta5 and last of us or Lego batman 3 and lbp3 at $399 will do very well I think.

There are good xb1 deals too but I think Lego Batman and gta5 are bigger better names for black Friday bundles.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Unbelievable we've yet to get PS4 and One numbers.

Please, anyone, save us :(

The point is that the pure quantity of exclusive retail titles, which factors in games which most people have never heard of, is a pretty dumb metric to attribute to the sales performance of the console.
Also even if you factor out the random games PS4 has a couple more titles, I was just pointing out that the list you linked is not a very good way to back up your point

I am not say nor did I ever even mention it being a factor in why it is selling better. The guy I quoted said that they were selling better despite having the smaller library of games. That is factually not true so I gave him a link that showed that PS4 does in fact have more games. That is all. I apologize if I made it sound like why PS4 is selling best, as my intent was just to correct his error about having the smaller library.

Well I asked what type of Nintendo stock she owns on this thread - I know what she owns, but haven't seen her reply.

Yes Prodigy pointed out that your question is probably more telling

People are forgetting black Friday.

The ps4 bundles with gta5 and last of us or Lego batman 3 and lbp3 at $399 will do very well I think.

There are good xb1 deals too but I think Lego Batman and gta5 are bigger better names for black Friday bundles.

I think PS4 will have a strong November but believe MS will have a stronger one. The price points for an XB1 are quite good.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
John, could you tell us at least how much PS4 sold compared to One? Things like: PS4 = 1.5xOne; PS4 = 2xOne, etc. etc.

Lemondish

Game value is subjective. The site uses metacritic scores to attempt to show the consensus opinion on the value of each title, but the most important take away you can have from this is that the PS4 not only has more games, but it has more games representing more genres, which in turn represents more unique experiences.

That alone can help explain the reason why it keeps selling - there are more experiences for more diverse gamers, and this has always been Sony's strength.

[quoteSoftware:
NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (3DS)
The Evil Within (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360, PC)
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (360, PS3, PC)
Destiny (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
Skylanders: Trap Team (360, Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, 3DS, mobile)
FIFA 15 (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, Wii, PS Vita, 3DS)
Madden NFL 15 (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One)
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4, XBox One, PC)
Minecraft (360, PS3, PS4)[/quote]

zgtu.gif

Wow, Evil Within actually made the top 3?? Wow, I'm surprised. Nice.

Wait, what happened to Microsoft supposedly having the number 1 selling console in the US? Did they do "that" again?

[quoteSoftware:
NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (3DS)
The Evil Within (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360, PC)
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (360, PS3, PC)
Destiny (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
Skylanders: Trap Team (360, Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, 3DS, mobile)
FIFA 15 (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, Wii, PS Vita, 3DS)
Madden NFL 15 (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One)
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4, XBox One, PC)
Minecraft (360, PS3, PS4)

zgtu.gif

Wow, Evil Within actually made the top 3?? Wow, I'm surprised. Nice.[/QUOTE]

This is the right way to do a "drive by post."^^

vinnygambini

Well answer the question boo and I shall gave you your reigning crown as always:

Aqua on the Twitter sphere: do you own NTDOY, NTDOF or 7974?

I shall believe you :)

vinnygambini

She answered the Ninty stock correctly! Well it seems like it's Aqua :)

Just need y2kev and we good to go! :D

xox

Congrats to Smash, I didn't think the 3DS version would sell this much. I'm hoping this doesn't mean bad for the Wii U version...

And wow I didn't know that Luigi's Mansion did so well in the US alone. Crazy numbers.

Blablurn

Congrats to Sony. What a great comeback this generation. I wish 3rd party developers woul try to get a little bit more power out of this console.

You realize this is the first time in history that the most powerful console is in the lead, right? If anything, it just shows how strong Sony's messaging has been in comparison to it's competition.

Not true whatsoever. When the PS2 launched it was the most powerful system bare none, and it destroyed the competition.

stryke

lol of course we're skeptical Aqua. Explaining what happened isn't going to alleviate that because your ban was high profile, plenty of people knew what happened.

Top Bottom