• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

People like powerful consoles not good games.

In a perfect world Wii U should be 1st, XB1 2nd and PS4 3rd

Well if you compare Wii U to October 2013, 1 year later the Wii U sold almost 20k more year over year in the same month, it's a good sign for the system since the Wii U was actually getting more games in 2013 than what it is getting in 2014, but the quality of exclusive games in 2014 far exceeds the gimped ports of 2013.

Sounds like a crappy world. I don't wanna be stuck with 360/ps3 level hardware for 7 more years. The great games will come, and they should be better cause of the huge jump in hardware power as long as developer's know what they are doing.

A terrible reveal, consistently bad PR, a multitude of 180s, a high initial price.

MS has done a lot to turn things around but much like the PS3 I feel it's too late to really change the image the X1 has cultivated for itself. Much like the 360, the PS4 is now the "it" console to own, and with 1 million+ more owners in NA, that's 1 million more people pushing their friends into the Ps4 ecosystem (we've also seen evidence of this in the massive growth of PS+ as of late).

Once you understand that price isn't the only issue MS faces, everything falls into place. People say, "Oh X1 will win Nov. because it's such a good deal", but that's bias speaking. I've owned an X1 for two weeks now and it's a good console, worth every penny I paid for it; however, I still think the PS4 is, objectively, a better deal even at $399.

If I was hunting for a next gen console this month, it'd be the console I'd pick even with the X1 significantly cheaper. With that said, I think MS has gone low enough that the price difference will have a good effect this Holiday season (in NA at least). It's going to be close.

As for now, I'm just baffled as to why the PS4 isn't in stock at Amazon.

I don't own none of the next gen consoles yet but I'm kind of turned off by Sony's OS and their controller's issue with the sticks wearing down easily and the battery life. Also charging to play MP is also another turn off. I'm not impressed by XB1's OS but I'm hearing they're fixing that and I also don't like the weaker hardware. Despite that I'm still drawn to the Xbox's UI more so than PS4's.

ahhh the salt tastes salty in this salty post.

the current situation at hand is how it should be. Sony played it right and are reaping the rewards. MS took the wrong route and nintendo well... they're nintendo.

I don't own none of the next gen consoles yet but I'm kind of turned off by Sony's OS and their controller's issue with the sticks wearing down easily and the battery life. Also charging to play MP is also another turn off. I'm not impressed by XB1's OS but I'm hearing they're fixing that and I also don't like the weaker hardware. Despite that I'm still drawn to the Xbox's UI more so than PS4's.

UI wise I vastly prefer the PS4's much simpler approach. On X1, it feels like I have to do a lot more than I should to get things done. It's grown on me, but I still don't really like it. It also feels cumbersome and slow at times. The controller issue is a case by case basis I believe. One of my DS4's suffered from it, but I just bought one of those things you put on the thumbsticks and problem was solved. With that said, I do find myself somewhat preferring the X1 controller (though I despise the bumper buttons, and miss the touchpad).

As for the graphics, 900p isn't that bad. Dragon Age doesn't look as great as it could which is why I'm considering picking it up on PS4 but all in all it's really not that big a deal. You can't go wrong either way. My suggestion, go where your friends are.

Yours is one of the millions of reason why there's several million XB1 owners out there.

But there's more people with their own reasons for choosing PS4 over XB1.

In whose perfect world exactly?
I have a PS4 and I openly despise the OS. That said, I don't see what's much better about the X1. To my eyes, they're both cluttered messes. If you're concerned about the sticks, its dependent on the controller, and you can buy little covers for the sticks for a few bucks.

Duxxy3

What made it less popular?

The stink of the Xbox one reveal still lingers in the air. Other, still relevant, problems exist. The hardware is weaker, the controller is seen as worse by 360 owners, the OS is high functioning but it's not user friendly. Until June it was higher in price for worse hardware. Then it was even in price and still worse hardware.

Now it's finally at a price that offsets weaker hardware. Microsoft still needs to make adjustments to the controller and to the operating system. There is nothing they can do about the stink in the air. That's something that won't go away until the next hardware reveal.

You realize this is the first time in history that the most powerful console is in the lead, right? If anything, it just shows how strong Sony's messaging has been in comparison to it's competition.

I think the biggest issue MS faces is the inevitable crash coming in January. I honestly think that they're going to go the Slim route come E3. Unveil a new X1 slim, $250-$299, with a whole new marketing campaign. Essentially, they'll try going down the route Sony went with the PS3.

You realize this is the first time in history that the most powerful console is in the lead, right? If anything, it just shows how strong Sony's messaging has been in comparison to it's competition.

The PS can survive on brand alone despite having the least amount of titles out of the gate. They did this at the beginning of the PS2 era (remember how many more games the dreamcast had against the ps2 at the beginning) , PS3 era, and now.

I think the biggest issue MS faces is the inevitable crash coming in January. I honestly think that they're going to go the Slim route come E3. Unveil a new X1 slim, $250-$299, with a whole new marketing campaign. Essentially, they'll try going down the route Sony went with the PS3.

The price drop may result in a baseline increase, but it is most likely just time shifting sales from early 2015 into holiday. It remains to be seen, but I think you may be right, there could be a huge dropoff come January with the price going back up and bundles disappear.

Haha, I see that you tried but the answers she's giving is not really that hard to find out if you have been around and passing attention.

Yeah that's why I had a follow up question. I'll probably go through some PM exchanges and get a question or two that way

Y2kev kept in contact with her after the ban but he doesn't appear to be active now. I'll send him a PM as I'm sure he could verify one way or the other

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ah, so MK8 and Hyrule dropped quite a bit then... hopefully DLC + holidays + Smash helps for MK8... That also means that Skylanders, despite being 3rd best selling SKU of the game on Wii U, was pretty low on everything except 360 & Wii? Is that typical?

Wii and wii u are only like ten K apart or so, with sky landers being #1 and #2 respectively.

I mean not that high but those games sell best during holidays not launch month tho. Same thing as just dance. Which is like, no where

quetz67

Banned
The price drop may result in a baseline increase, but it is most likely just time shifting sales from early 2015 into holiday. It remains to be seen, but I think you may be right, there could be a huge dropoff come January with the price going back up and bundles disappear.
Even if they drop to $299 or keep the bundles the drop will be worse than for PS4. Going into holiday season with a "price drop" is nothing but desperate.

Lemondish

The PS can survive on brand alone despite having the least amount of titles out of the gate. They did this at the beginning of the PS2 era (remember how many more games the dreamcast had against the ps2 at the beginning) , PS3 era, and now.

You want to start talking about how PlayStation survives on brand alone then you need to clarify what criteria you're using to define game titles. I don't quite understand how this narrative keeps going despite it being COMPLETELY false. The PS4 has more games now and continuously sees more releases each month over the direct competition.

Mory Dunz

...we're getting closerrr

Top Bottom