• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

The diameter of the circle is ~257 pixels.

converting those into numbers
d = 257k
r = 128k
c = 804k

d=Driveclub Sales r=XB1 sales c=Bayonetta 2 sales

image.php

I choose to believe that bayonetta 2s sales being in the same ballpark as wiiu hardware sales means that it was a system seller and everyone who bought a wiiu last month did so for bayonetta 2.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Thanks for the tidbit Harker =). Out of curiosity, was B2 the best selling Wii U game of the month?

Yup. By like 30k.

Honestly I was expecting worse for b2 so while I'm not like, happy, I'm not that sad either haha.

Hopefully Smash is a rising tide that raises all ships. Mk8 alone did wonders

Majestad

Banned
I'm surprised people are surprised by Sunset Overdrive not charting. Look at Insomniac's track record: Fuse, Resistance 3, A Crack in Time, etc. All tanked.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Yup. By like 30k.

Honestly I was expecting worse for b2 so while I'm not like, happy, I'm not that sad either haha.

Would Hyrule Warriors be the second sku behind Bayonetta 2? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Kill3r7

Maybe they delayed shipments by a week or two to coincide with Black Friday. I fully expect this plain PS4 go on sale for $350 or less on Black Friday at some retailers.

Source:
The voice in my head

All that's left at this point is GS, Amazon and Newegg. All other major BF Ads have been leaked.

Well, it was released 4 days before the month's end. It will probably be in the November list.
Core-oriented games are generally very front-loaded and there are a ton of big franchises releasing or stronger brands that will place simply due to the absolute numbers they do, despite also being front-loaded. It won't feature in November.

There may be the occasional exception that proves the rule, but the vast majority or plurality of these core titles' sales will come in the first week. I don't really know why the "only _ days tracking" thing persists, despite this often being explained.

Kill3r7

It has no chance at charting in November. At all. Too much competition.
You have to remember that those 4 days of sales included months of pre-orders.

Agreed. Basically you have the top 5 heavy hitters CoD, GTAV, Ac Unity, Smash and Halo MCC. Then you have DA, FC4, LBP3(assuming it charts) and all the games going on crazy sale during BF.

Wtf did not expect ps4 to be sold out anywhere . It's not even the holiday/Black Friday rush .

This is the postseason. Its going to be a hard fought battle till the end. I wouldn´t be surprised if either wins. Hoping Sony has a even more compelling bundle to announce, maybe with a year of plus included.

oti

Banned
Sunset Bombadrive.

Yeah, sales seemed to be pretty bad. For Germany I heard the number "4000" flying around at some point (excluding bundles), that were supposed to make up ~10% of worldwide sales.

Maybe November with that good feedback and cheaper Xbox Ones? We'll see.

EatMyFace

Banned
What's the reason why the XB1 is lagging behind?
Because consumers are buying what they think is the better product?
There was no major event in October that could have turned things in XBones favor. November is a different story though. Price cut + lots of new bundles = Adrenaline shot in time for holidays. PS4 will lose this month if it doesn't have some really good deals.

WinFonda

This is silly. The game is damn good. In fact, it's my favorite game of the year. The reviews are great. It's one of those games that sticks with you for a long time. Yet you come on here critique it's humor, pick out a couple of nuggets that have been re-posted on here and feel the need to judge the entire cohesive experience of a game like Sunset Overdrive without, I suspect, ever playing it yourself.

We don't know the digital numbers of the game. Hell, who knows, with digital sales and next month it could've exceeded projections. Phil Spencer packaged this game up as part of a bundle for a reason. I know this is going to sound cliche, but It's a "gamer's" game.

I know I'm not the only one who feels that way, and I found your gross and general characterization of the game and it's impassioned studio quite insulting.

So watevs...
I'm critiquing what Insomniac thinks is appealing, or funny, or cool. A "gamer's game" to me, is not one that sacrifices immersion at the expense of a cheap joke or quip on pop culture. But I get it, they did a post-mortem on Fuse and decided to do a complete 180 on everything that so rightfully made that game a soulless, humorless work-for-hire. But there's such a thing as too much the other direction, and if constantly reminding the player that, "hey look at you! you're playin a video game that knows its a game!" is what Insomniac thinks the market wants, and that's what you want, then by all means. I think the obnoxious tone of the game is only part of the problem, the other part is it's not fully featured (i.e. compelling competitive multiplayer)

And no, I won't be picking up any more Insomniac games after Fuse till they hit bargain prices, if at all.

AniHawk

Yeah, sales seemed to be pretty bad. For Germany I heard the number "4000" flying around at some point (excluding bundles), that were supposed to make up ~10% of worldwide sales.

uh, maybe 1% of worldwide sales if those numbers were anywhere near true.

What made it less popular?

A terrible reveal, consistently bad PR, a multitude of 180s, a high initial price.

MS has done a lot to turn things around but much like the PS3 I feel it's too late to really change the image the X1 has cultivated for itself. Much like the 360, the PS4 is now the "it" console to own, and with 1 million+ more owners in NA, that's 1 million more people pushing their friends into the Ps4 ecosystem (we've also seen evidence of this in the massive growth of PS+ as of late).

Once you understand that price isn't the only issue MS faces, everything falls into place. People say, "Oh X1 will win Nov. because it's such a good deal", but that's bias speaking. I've owned an X1 for two weeks now and it's a good console, worth every penny I paid for it; however, I still think the PS4 is, objectively, a better deal even at $399.

If I was hunting for a next gen console this month, it'd be the console I'd pick even with the X1 significantly cheaper. With that said, I think MS has gone low enough that the price difference will have a good effect this Holiday season (in NA at least). It's going to be close.

As for now, I'm just baffled as to why the PS4 isn't in stock at Amazon.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Yup. By like 30k.

Ah, so MK8 and Hyrule dropped quite a bit then... hopefully DLC + holidays + Smash helps for MK8... That also means that Skylanders, despite being 3rd best selling SKU of the game on Wii U, was pretty low on everything except 360 & Wii? Is that typical?

Top Bottom