• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

GamerJM

Banned
Guys, Aqua wasn't banned for three months. She's coming back on the 19th according to Twitter. I've pointed this out earlier but I keep seeing people say that she was banned for three months >_>.

Also, Aqua is a great poster so yeah we really shouldn't try to piss her (or anyone else) off. Her, Creamsugar, and John Harker are ultimately risking their livelihoods yeah, but they can also do what they want with their own numbers that they receive in reports. Ultimately I think we should just let them do their thing when it comes to numbers, we shouldn't discourage them but at the same time if they don't want to post numbers anymore then so be it.

It's a benefit to us to have actual numbers.

A) Some people have fun with and enjoy talking numbers. It makes for great conversation, even if some would surely use it for console wars.

B) It protects us; from big companies' BS spin and even from other Gaf members with access to NPD who would spin the numbers to fit some agenda, which happened recently with a name you invoked in your post before a mod shut it down.

I agree it's not worth it to have the numbers if we don't appreciate the risk leakers take and we're not willing to protect our own.

Miles X

Guys, Aqua wasn't banned for three months. She's coming back on the 19th according to Twitter. I've pointed this out earlier but I keep seeing people say that she was banned for three months >_>.

Also, Aqua is a great poster so yeah we really shouldn't try to piss her (or anyone else) off. Her, Creamsugar, and John Harker are ultimately risking their livelihoods yeah, but they can also do what they want with their own numbers that they receive in reports. Ultimately I think we should just let them do their thing when it comes to numbers, we shouldn't discourage them but at the same time if they don't want to post numbers anymore then so be it.

I appreciate them but if they're risking their livelihoods then they need to start putting that before their ego. No reason they can't PM mod's the numbers and remain annoynomous, yet they're all up in these threads with the numbers.

Again, greatly appreciated, love them for it, but if it's such a risk they know what they need to do.

I guess you meant 10mm combined for the current gen twins and not each? In that case okay.

Still think Smash and Halo both chart.

Yeah that's what I meant. I hope they do, will make the charts interesting!

Minecraft Xbox One Edition (PS4, XB1 ect)

It happens :p (Though in this case it's just named Minecraft) but they all have their own "titles"

yeah but even when it was only the 360 version, it was listed as just "Minecraft", whereas it's already "Super Smash Bros. for 3DS"

Occam

Without actual numbers (or even ballpark figures), we get bullshit like this from the usual suspects.
idGVWxs.png

It's a benefit to us to have actual numbers.

A) Some people have fun with and enjoy talking numbers. It makes for great conversation, even if some would surely use it for console wars.

B) It protects us; from big companies' BS spin and even from other Gaf members with access to NPD who would spin the numbers to fit some agenda, which happened recently with a name you invoked in your post before a mod shut it down.

I agree it's not worth it to have the numbers if we don't appreciate the risk leakers take and we're not willing to protect our own.

Yeah. I appreciate the work done here and im in now way saying that it shouldnt be done. Im just saying the outrage at having to make a tiny bit more effort to find the info is systemic of a larger problem:- Many people are reading and spreading the info in these threads for fanboy dick waving above all else.

Aqua will be back and so will cream. Im pretty sure of it. I just hope they put their heads together and think of a way to provide the data they can, without exposing themselves as much as they have been. The old system simply cannot work anymore, especially with the visibilty of last months drama. Maybe that was the plan all along.

The threat of legal action is real and simply not worth it.

When did games become more about the #'s than the fun?

With that said, XB1 takes November by 130k units... guaranteed.

It's about both.

But I think you're an xbox fan? So you sound like a Man Utd fan telling everyone "when did it become more about playing in Europe than the fun of the match?"

Surprised but not surprised about Sunset Overdrive's low sales. Every friend I asked about it told me it looked too "cartoony" and that it looked like it was "made for kids".

Of course it was out for just 4 days though so maybe it will have a stronger showing on next month's NPD.

FDC1

Surprised but not surprised about Sunset Overdrive's low sales. Every friend I asked about it told me it looked too "cartoony" and that it looked like it was "made for kids".

Of course it was out for just 4 days though so maybe it will have a stronger showing on next month's NPD.

It will have no showing on next month's NPD. It didn't appear this month, how in the the hell could it appear without day 1 sales and a way stronger competition next month?

crap, you're right, we'll call that the "MS price parity" rebate.

I know stores are matching the Wal-Mart.com bundle deals live currently for instance:

The Standard PS4 + a game is $439
Destiny Bundle + a game is $489

Not too much savings, but $20 off is $20 saved towards future games...

Lol, um sure, I guess, but i wouldn't exactly call it parity considering that Xbox will be $70 off on BF, and it is worse value than the Two main PS4 bundles.

I think it is more or less something they are doing for those who come too late and miss out on the PS4 +TLOU&GTA bundle once it sells out.

When did games become more about the #'s than the fun?

With that said, XB1 takes November by 130k units... guaranteed.

Numbers are Important because if a game bombs in sales, they likely will not make a sequel. All i care about is SSO numbers because I'm loving that game, and hope they make a sequel.
Could care less about actual X1/PS4 numbers. We know that they are doing better than both of their predecessors at the same point and time, and frankly, thats all we need to know.
The market is healthy.

EGM1966

I appreciate them but if they're risking their livelihoods then they need to start putting that before their ego. No reason they can't PM mod's the numbers and remain annoynomous, yet they're all up in these threads with the numbers.

Again, greatly appreciated, love them for it, but if it's such a risk they know what they need to do.

Yeah that's what I meant. I hope they do, will make the charts interesting!
You think mods are going to post numbers? Zero chance of that - that would directly implicate GAF and NPD would be able to immediately pursue action.

I really don't get idea we - members - have much of a say or can dictate t them terms for sharing. BEither the leakers post their way or they don't. No way will GAF appear to directly endorse anything.

If Aqua wants to come back and make people quote to see numbers that's her call. If others repost that's their call but the risk is the leakers will sply stop sharing again.

We're beholden to them not the other way around. It's pretty simple.

Miles X

You think mods are going to post numbers? Zero chance of that - that would directly implicate GAF and NPD would be able to immediately pursue action.

I really don't get idea we - members - have much of a say or can dictate t them terms for sharing. BEither the leakers post their way or they don't. No way will GAF appear to directly endorse anything.

If Aqua wants to come back and make people quote to see numbers that's her call. If others repost that's their call but the risk is the leakers will sply stop sharing again.

We're beholden to them not the other way around. It's pretty simple.

Dummy account? Not a lot NPD can do if they can't figure out who is posting it. Can they get GAF to ban posters that post the numbers?

I don't care how they wanna distribute the numbers, I'm talking about if they're putting their job on the line or such, and don't like that risk, they need to find alternate methods.

No reason they can't PM mod's the numbers and remain annoynomous

Worst case scenario, NPD throws a lawsuit... as the public source of the leaks, the mod would be in the crosshairs. Sure, it's second hand information, but there's no reason for a mod to get involved in distributing such data and potentially getting hassled by lawyers, etc.

Dummy account? Not a lot NPD can do if they can't figure out who is posting it. Can they get GAF to ban posters that post the numbers?

I don't care how they wanna distribute the numbers, I'm talking about if they're putting their job on the line or such, and don't like that risk, they need to find alternate methods.

The best alternate method is to not post any numbers.

Miles X

Worst case scenario, NPD throws a lawsuit... as the public source of the leaks, the mod would be in the crosshairs. Sure, it's second hand information, but there's no reason for a mod to get involved in distributing such data and potentially getting hassled by lawyers, etc.
Yeah, I amended and suggested a dummy account, but perhaps that would then be directed at the site itself (Evilore). I dunno, if NPD are cracking down as bad as people say then perhaps we just accept the enevitable.

The best alternate method is to not post any numbers.

People don't realise the importance of day 1 sales. Smash 3DS sold better in "September" with only two days of data included than in October.

True, but MS unleashed a second wave of Sunset bundles on Nov 2nd which sold out, seemingly more than what they originally released

Morts

Everyone who was going to buy AC Unity should buy Bayonetta 2 instead.

Looking forward to next month when we see how the two AC games compare, and if anyone buys a Wii U for Smash Bros.

Miles X

To make money, they sell their results.

They sell in depth results with all the software numbers ect. I really don't think they'd lose any subscribers for releasing hardware numbers. Remember it's publishers, retailers and such that subscribe, the real meat of the data is the software numbers.

They coped well enough for years when the numbers were public. I really don't know what the reasoning is for them to be so private about them.

Ya because Twitter gives you so many characters to type.
...was he at the maximum tweet length?
I don't have high hopes for scalebound or phantom dust.
As well you shouldn't. A niche new IP from a historically obscure (in the public eye) developer and a sequel to a game from over a decade ago that nobody remembers or cared about even then... Neither game was going to light up the charts.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
We tried to figure that out, but it sold around 400K, which is less than Resident Evil 5 and 6. My best guess is they meant as a new IP, so more than Resi 1, Silent Hill 1, Deadspace 1, ect. Take with gain of salt please^^

Yea I think ~385k is super impressive, given how the genre has been dead to dying over the years and that its debut in still higher than games like silent hill or re4

Kudos to the team. Not that i doubted them, but I thought they were going to niche in their creative campaign but hey I was wrong

FDC1

They sell in depth results with all the software numbers ect. I really don't think they'd lose any subscribers for releasing hardware numbers. Remember it's publishers, retailers and such that subscribe, the real meat of the data is the software numbers.

They coped well enough for years when the numbers were public. I really don't know what the reasoning is for them to be so private about them.

Video game compagnies asked them to stop from what I heard.

Saty

If you're buying a NPD report only for the top 10, you are doing it wrong. NPD publicly sharing top 10 data won't hurt their business in the slightest.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Good job, Goldmund. Hope you're happy.

He did get what he wanted. -_-

Also, I'd like for Aqua to just be an active member, regardless of whether she releases NPD data. Those numbers are the least of importance. She was very fun to engage with, which is considerably more valuable.

Top Bottom