• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

N.Domixis

Banned
Really hoping for MS to do another temp price slash as unsure how else they'll compete in Nov/Dec. I thought the whole 'holiday exclusives' would do more but cant tell really what effect they've had - post the Halo 5 bundling I'm not sure what other official bundles MS have (FO4 I presume as I don't think RoTR did in the US)

If it stays like it is I can see the PS4 regaining whatever ground it lost last Nov/Dec - for some reason I feel the price cut effect has been delayed due to people picking up the Nov bundles in particular the Star Wars one.

BF pricing no doubt had an affect on why anyone would buy a XO/PS4 in Oct

ps3ud0 8)

They would have to keep it permanent or face a collapse.

Halo just isn't that popular anymore. Putting Halo Wars 2 for holiday 2016 was a mistake and I imagine it'll be pushed to early 2017.

At this point MS must realize that Halo needs a rest right?

Pretty much assures Halo 6 will launch day and date on XB1/PC. I'm also expecting them to bring Halo 5 to Win10 in the first half of 2016...there's no way they are happy with these numbers despite their PR spins...its a shame too because their game is pretty great, I'd love PC people to get their hands on it

ethomaz

Banned
Pretty much assures Halo 6 will launch day and date on XB1/PC. I'm also expecting them to bring Halo 5 to Win10 in the first half of 2016...there's no way they are happy with these numbers despite their PR spins...its a shame too because their game is pretty great, I'd love PC people to get their hands on it
It is a bit slow for PC, no?
I guess it can work anyway.

donny2112

You can't deny Knack has the best first party PS4 exclusive launch in Japan and it legs was bigger than Mario in UK (dat Knack Mario gif)

lol

You don't actually believe people wanted Knack with the PS4 release in Japan, do you? It was bundled with like every piece of hardware. At the most, you can say that Knack demand is unknown for that reason. There's nothing to indicate that it was popular, though. Just look at PS4 sales in general after launch.

kswiston

Halo 6 PC will crash and burn if Microsoft tries to push it as a Windows 10 Store exclusive (which, knowing them, they probably will).

Pretty much. It also proves that exclusives don't sell consoles in any meaningful way anymore. Locking their first party games to console is clearly pointless.

You don't actually believe people wanted Knack with the PS4 release in Japan, do you? It was bundled with like every piece of hardware. At the most, you can say that Knack demand is unknown for that reason. There's nothing to indicate that it was popular, though. Just look at PS4 sales in general after launch.

A good rule of thumb whenever people talk about Knack is to assume that they are being facetious (unless it's in relation to PS+, in that case, I can't tell who is being serious).

Loudninja

Congrats to Microsoft. I believe with the Black Friday deals they will win November.

Halo sales would be considered a blockbuster for ps4 exclusives this gen to date. Will be interesting to see how it ends the year. I predict it around 2..5 million with holiday sales.
The Black Friday deals are the same from what I seen.

You can't just regurgitate formulaic checklist open world games every single year and not expect a franchise burnout. Ubi should have known better.

I hope Sony doesn't insist on open world games much more (if GR1&2 and Horizon are an indication), or their next few upcoming games will all suffer from being sold to a market that already got fed up of the "appeal of free roaming".

Yes because Fallout 4 is flopping...

There is still room for open world games. Just not the generic checklist bullshit. Right now it looks like Sucker Punch, Sony Bend and Guerilla Games are making open world games. Bloodborne could also be considered open world(an expertly designed one too).

RexNovis

Banned

I got a copy with my JP PS4 purchase and the Japanese voice over is HILARIOUS. Would recommend. I heard the English version and it just pales in comparison. Clearly this is the cause for the games success here

;-) for real though it's pretty funny

allan-bh

The Black Friday deals are the same from what I seen.

No. All Xbox One bundles will be at $50 off, in PS4 case is just Uncharted bundle. Plus some deals are better for Xbox One, Walmart for example will give $30 gift card.

But I believe PS4 will win november anyway.

ps3ud0

They would have to keep it permanent or face a collapse.
I was thinking temp just to attempt galvanise sales right now while they probably are considering releasing a model thats cheaper to make - is that too early in the cycle to be considered?

Perhaps Im being a bit myopic in that while these holiday exclusives haven't really shifted XOs that maybe next years will. Something has to...

ps3ud0 8)

ethomaz

Banned
Hummmm... I don't know what to tell you :D

wapplew

No. All Xbox One bundles will be at $50 off, in PS4 case is just Uncharted bundle. Plus some deals are better for Xbox One, Walmart for example will give $30 gift card.

Fallout bundle should do good for Xbox?

kswiston

Yes because Fallout 4 is flopping...

There is still room for open world games. Just not the generic checklist bullshit. Right now it looks like Sucker Punch, Sony Bend and Guerilla Games are making open world games. Bloodborne could also be considered open world(an expertly designed one too).

"People are sick of open worlds" is like "superhero fatigue" over in movie GAF whenever a single film performs under expectations. Let's just ignore the fact that GTA V pretty much doubled the already absurd totals of past GTAs in the last 2 years. Or the fact that Fallout 4 just launched to numbers that are pretty close to what you'd expect from Call of Duty.

The Assassin's Creed franchise has pushed out 8 major games and 3-4 spinoffs in the past 7 years. Last year's game was also a mess. I think that has more to do with the decline than it being open world.

Congrats to Microsoft. I believe with the Black Friday deals they will win November.

Halo sales would be considered a blockbuster for ps4 exclusives this gen to date. Will be interesting to see how it ends the year. I predict it around 2..5 million with holiday sales.

Don't stop believing and keep living the dream...

Yes they are $50 cheaper, but that just brings their best bundles down to $349. Battlefront bundle at $349 is still probably the most attractive bundle at that price point. Not sure how much casual consumers will care about the extra hard drive space.

sphinx

the piano man
Halo just isn't that popular anymore. Putting Halo Wars 2 for holiday 2016 was a mistake and I imagine it'll be pushed to early 2017.

At this point MS must realize that Halo needs a rest right?

it doesn't need a rest, Halo needs to get rid of 343i like yesterday, it has done so much harm to the IP it's not even funny.

basically No Bungie -> "Thanks but no thanks"

Alo0oy

Banned
Exclusives never rule the holidays .
I mean you can say so during the PS2 era but that was because PS2 was monster market share wise.

No, all the best selling exclusives last gen released in the holidays (Halo, GT5, and UC3), the other exclusives that released at a different time didn't sell anywhere near as well. Keep in mind that those games went against CoD and Battlefield in their prime.

This whole "competition from third parties" thing has absolutely no evidence, the evidence we have actually suggests otherwise.

It was a terrible month for everyone and everything. Both HW and SW. Especially Halo and AC. Anyone saying otherwise is spinning shit into silk so to speak.

Eh. I gotta disagree respectfully on HW sales (still love ya buddy!). 304k is excellent for an October, and I just can't picture a scenario where an 81% YoY is disappointing, especially considering the Halo bundle was a $499 (!) console in the month before Black Friday. Far as PS4 sales go, again, 275k is completely within the norm for October. A 50 dollar price drop is fine, but why spend 350 on the Nathan Drake bundle when you can wait a month and get the Star Wars bundle? Even without THAT, I didn't expect it to have much impact a month before systems are available for 299 with additional games.

So yeah, I just.....I dunno, I don't see the issue. Like, at all.

Far as SW goes, none of us really know what the physical/digital split is, but it's growing larger. For context; I know ten people who bought Halo 5. Not one of them bought it on disc. It's a very small vertical slice, but that's the direction it's headed. Hell, Fallout 4 is my first physical purchase in over a year. I'm almost exclusively digital. I also think we're looking at damaged brand syndrome for Halo and AC.....MCC and Unity were terrible ambassadors for their respective series.

it doesn't need a rest, Halo needs to get rid of 343i like yesterday, it has done so much harm to the IP it's not even funny.

Bungie aren't what they used to be after Reach MP and playing Destiny. I'll take 343I over them any day

Sydle

Nah, third time seemed to be the charm. A lot of people are saying it's the best MP of the series. Now they just need to work on a richer campaign and never fuck up again.

kswiston

No, all the best selling exclusives last gen released in the holidays (Halo, GT5, and UC3), the other exclusives that released at a different time didn't sell anywhere near as well. Keep in mind that those games went against CoD and Battlefield in their prime.

This whole "competition from third parties" thing has absolutely no evidence, the evidence we have actually suggests otherwise.

The large majority of sales from Uncharted 3 and GT5 came after the holidays. Both of those games were sitting at about 1M in the US as of December. Neither did anything close to ruling the holidays.

EDIT: Hell, Oct-Dec 2011 had Batman Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim, and Assassins Creed Revelations. Uncharted 3 wasn't even a top 5 game that holiday.

Mikey Jr.

I wish these npd threads updated the first post better.

Give 2 sections.

Section 1
-official numbers. These are 100% fact.

Section 2
-what gaf was able to extrapolate, get from insiders, etc. State that these should be taken with a grain of salt. Put it behind spoiler tags.

Instead, someone has to scour 5000 replies to get numbers.

JaggedSac

Halo 5 is better than Bungie's last attempt at a Halo. Hell, it is better than Bungie's last 3 Halo games (ODST, 3, Reach).

ethomaz

Banned
Yes they are $50 cheaper, but that just brings their best bundles down to $349. Battlefront bundle at $349 is still probably the most attractive bundle at that price point. Not sure how much casual consumers will care about the extra hard drive space.

A price parity and Sony was smart to do a 349 dollars battlefield bundle is like they saw this coming and was prepared. Sony has really been a master strategist against MS this whole generation. MS has been on offense and not doing anything else but counter Sony. The tables have truly turn from last gen. They even don't have Halo to help them turn the tide anymore. I don't know what MS is going to do in the first half of next year with all the exclusives games coming to ps4.

jet1911

I wonder who are the most delusional, those who thought Halo 5 would do similar numbers to the past games (even after the fan reception of Halo 4 and the MCC debacle) or those who think that everything is fine in Haloland? :p

RexNovis

Banned
Eh. I gotta disagree respectfully on HW sales (still love ya buddy!). 304k is excellent for an October, and I just can't picture a scenario where an 81% YoY is disappointing, especially considering the Halo bundle was a $499 (!) console in the month before Black Friday. Far as PS4 sales go, again, 275k is completely within the norm for October. A 50 dollar price drop is fine, but why spend 350 on the Nathan Drake bundle when you can wait a month and get the Star Wars bundle? Even without THAT, I didn't expect it to have much impact a month before systems are available for 299 with additional games.

So yeah, I just.....I dunno, I don't see the issue. Like, at all.

Far as SW goes, none of us really know what the physical/digital split is, but it's growing larger. For context; I know ten people who bought Halo 5. Not one of them bought it on disc. It's a very small vertical slice, but that's the direction it's headed. Hell, Fallout 4 is my first physical purchase in over a year. I'm almost exclusively digital. I also think we're looking at damaged brand syndrome for Halo and AC.....MCC and Unity were terrible ambassadors for their respective series.

The 81% increase was due to MS announcing their November price cut half way through October last year. Had it been more in line with other slow months during the year the increase would've been far less (<25%) which is pretty small given the boosts Halo has provided to HW sales.

I think most everyone thought the HW sakes would be significantly higher in October. Now that said these sales could very well have migrated to November but that doesn't change the fact that they are significantly lower than most were expecting. The GAF predictions are proof of that.

I do not think it is any sort of indication of "consoles are dead" or "OMG sales were front loaded" but merely an outlier to be proven as much by the sales this holiday.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Alo0oy

Banned
The large majority of sales from Uncharted 3 and GT5 came after the holidays. Both of those games were sitting at about 1M in the US as of December. Neither did anything close to ruling the holidays.

EDIT: Hell, Oct-Dec 2011 had Batman Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim, and Assassins Creed Revelations. Uncharted 3 wasn't even a top 5 game that holiday.

Here we go, you're using NPD numbers for games that get the vast majority of their sales outside NA, both UC3 and GT shipped more than 5 million in their first month, and we know those shipments sold through because they got additional shipments later.

mdtauk

Not first week, but first NPD

Assassin's Creed - 1,357,000
Assassin's Creed 2 - 1,243,000
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 1,143,000
Assassin's Creed: Revelation - 1,200,000
Assassin's Creed 3 - 2,900,000

We have not numbers for Black Flag and Unity.

That's great, thanks for the help!

sphinx

the piano man
Bungie aren't what they used to be after Reach MP and playing Destiny. I'll take 343I over them any day

Nah, third time seemed to be the charm. A lot of people are saying it's the best MP of the series. Now they just need to work on a richer campaign and never fuck up again.

Halo 5 is better than Bungie's last attempt at a Halo. Hell, it is better than Bungie's last 3 Halo games (ODST, 3, Reach).

my idea is that the MCC MP debacle may have had consequences and we are seeing them now.

Halo 5 may be a great game but it's clear something is making (former) fans not buy it.

what is it? my bet is lack of confidence in the product.

series fatigue? come on, we have yearly Call of duty games speaking against that.

sense

1. I was referring to how Halo 5 (game) would do. I said in many posts that I didn't know how console sales would go. Xbox 360 did a little bit over 500K when Halo 3 released -- a month that wasn't November or December. I wasn't expecting the Xbox One to reach 500K in October due to that.

2. Halo 5 released before the Holiday season. Uncharted 4 is releasing early next year. Therefore the game should help sell a good number of PS4s in November and December. I have no doubt that the game will do well (that was never my original point). I just think that the game's release may not cause a huge boost in PS4 sales if the system does really well this Holiday season.

Definitely expected a "hypocrite!"-post like yours in reply to what I said; Was prepared to give a better explanation so thanks. :)

yeah nooooo i am pretty sure you were talking about how the game would get people to get xbox ones in a lot of posts. 360 owners, ps4 owners, halo fans etc... not only did the game disappoint(way less then what you would have expected since you did say it won't perform like previous entries)) but also the amount of hardware it moved. i guess you could say halo won them the month and pushed hardware but that would be a weak argument looking at actual numbers imo

does it look like you were talking about halo(the game) or halo (the system seller) in these posts?
I wouldn't say this at all. There's people still hanging on to their 360s that are waiting for Halo 5 to release to make the jump.

Halo 5 is the biggest exclusive coming to the system this year that will push people into current gen. A system having the combo of COD, Battlefront, on top of Halo 5 should be really attractive to a good amount of gamers in North America.
They did? So no Halo fans held back due to the collection's major issues or simply due to the fact the collection had old games?

I guess we won't see a PS4 sales boost in Spring 2016 then.

Everyone who likes Uncharted should have a PS4 by Christmas!

Because it's obviously trying to downplay impact and it cuts out a large portion of 360 owners (as well as PS4 owners for that matter) who are waiting for Halo 5 to buy an XB1 as that game will be a main push for them.

People assuming that game series will have sequels on new consoles helps the sales of consoles but there's still many who wait for games to release to buy consoles. We are talking about $300+ consoles that still don't have huge game libraries yet. Why buy a console for a possible future game when I can wait to see how the game looks, make a decision then, and then end up more than likely buying the console at a cheaper price due to it being a bit older at the time?

I agree in terms of sales but many aren't saying it in that way. It's funny since last year people were saying the opposite -- MCC wasn't going to help XB1 sales because the collection had a bunch of old games and that people were waiting for the true new Halo. Now apparently Halo 5 won't do much because of Halo fans buying an XB1 for MCC regardless of the well known problems it had (and it not being a true new Halo game for this gen as stated before).

I would say that it works both ways as I could see a decent number of PS4 owners getting an Xbox One for Halo 5. #ItShouldBeInteresting

First true new Halo game this gen + people know deals will happen during the Holiday season. I wouldn't say it's overrated (at least not yet).

You even compared the effect halo 5 would have to mgs4 !!!

MCC did help sales but Halo 5 (like MGS4) will be the first true entry of the series for its gen. There were Halo fans who didn't care about MCC since they already played the games on older consoles with news coming out about the collection's major issues just adding on to that.

I still feel like both games are comparable due to them being the true debut of popular series for their respective gens, and both games being on consoles that weren't in the top spot in North America at their time of release even though their predecessors were.

No clear numbers for that but the PS3 almost doubled the 360's sales that month (NPD); 220K vs. 405K if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom