• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Jackson said:
What kind of dumb picture is this?

Did anyone on this green earth think Heavenly Sword would do better than Halo 3???

According to MS press release, the $129 limited edition legendary edition of Halo 3 alone outsold the top PS3 first party title 2:1.

AniHawk

Holy motherfucking christ, Halo 3. I didn't figure this was going into one week of October though. What a humongous number though.

I'll echo similar sentiments for Zelda, which was only out for mere days. MP3 = bomb. 360 did appropriately well. Should be hitting around 300k+ in October and probably around upwards 2m for combined Nov/Dec sales.

Very surprised that Brain Age actually made a dent. I figured that would go unnoticed. Then again they are airing commercials like crazy.

I wonder how well Orange Box will do next month, whether Halo 3 will eclipse every FPS game not titled "Call of Duty 4" for the rest of the year or not. Orange Box has been getting some very positive word of mouth though, so maybe it'll have slightly better legs in the long run.

On hardware sales, I think it's still pretty amazing that the Wii is selling 500k and selling out. The 360 did extremely well for its pricepoint, and I wonder how 2008 will look, whether they'll be able to sustain this pace or not. I'm guessing they'll need a price drop at the very least. Companies have a tendency of dropping bundles after the holidays are over.

squicken

Nintendo cares more about selling the Wii to non-gamers than selling a game machine to gamers. We still haven't seen top tier western developers announce Wii titles, all apologies to SSX, because like is always the case with Nintendo, third party sales are lackluster. It's not a system for gamers. There will be games that appeal to gamers, but that mainstream audience Nintendo is courting isn't going to care about the next Zelda game. Soccer moms don't play Zelda. If Nintendo can tap enough of the hardcore gamer and court third parties, they could crush everyone by PS2 type numbers.

Jackson

BenjaminBirdie said:
Read the thread. It was beaten by the most expensive and limited SKU.

Ah ok... still... come on?? It's Halo 3, the most hyped game ever, with a fanbase of like 8 million from previous titles vs a mildly hyped completely new IP, with mixed reviews by an unknown team, on a system that has nearly 3x less units than the 360 (in NA)...

the limited edition halo 360 probably sold more than heavenly sword

Jackson said:
Ah ok... still... come on?? It's Halo 3, the most hyped game ever, with a fanbase of like 8 million from previous titles vs a mildly hyped completely new IP, with mixed reviews by an unknown team, on a system that has nearly 3x less units than the 360 (in NA)...

the limited edition halo 360 probably sold more than heavenly sword

Since MS found it PR-Worthy someone else found it GIF-worthy. "The helmet is mightier than the sword" was pretty much instantly legendary the second the PR was released. Hence the gif.

AniHawk

The_Dude said:
So, Skate is a bomb, too? And I would've thought around 370k over two months is not bad for Metroid Prime 3.
I guess it isn't bad, but the game isn't getting the sort of support it needs to be considered a success. I think it's going to have a very hard time hitting a million in the States, if it even manages to do so.

Kujo

Windu said:
6.) PS3 - Awsome, serves them right for trying to charge $600 dollars while shoving Blue Ray down our throats. I hope it continues to fail.
Yeah, because a failing console is good for consumers and competition...

Jackson

BenjaminBirdie said:
Since MS found it PR-Worthy someone else found it GIF-worthy. "The helmet is mightier than the sword" was pretty much instantly legendary the second the PR was released. Hence the gif.

Ya ok I get ya now... didn't know MS said it... now it's all very clear :D

bry-bry said:
Interesting, the "Halo's a Super Popular Franchise" Defense of Heaven Sword's sales. At least you have perspective.

Ya, I'm not defending HS, I just thought that gif was ridiculous, but since MS reported it, now I get the reasoning... and it is indeed funny...

Mojo said:

When a company fails, it makes them try that much harder to earn their sales. Look at Sony, them failing has actually helped consumers. We got a $200 price drop in under a year.

edit: and that's good for competition since now MS will try that much harder to combat this which means that we as consumers win in the end.

Batman's dad said it best: "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."

AniHawk

...And on the Sony side, it looks like we're finally seeing the torch being passed. The PS3 is already kinda dying out. The negative word of mouth of the last 10 months has damaged it beyond repair. Outside of that, it looks like the PS2 will have a very solid holiday season this year (and next), but will finally fade in 2009 before disappearing in 2010 or 2011 (hey, a decade aint so bad).

PSP continues to do very well, though this time with the addition of bundles. 2008 looks positively barren for the system outside a few games like God of War, DMC, and Gran Turismo. I'm not sure how much longer this thing will be able to sell. Frankly, I'm surprised it's still doing as well as it is.

It's failing because of the consumers and competition. Sony, next-gen, will release a viable machine. Better this than another 6 years of domination.

And, I do think Nintendo will fall next generation or the one after. They'll need their asses handed to them so they feel the need to pump out awesomeness like SMG and SSBB.

bry-bry

Jackson said:
Ya, I'm not defending HS, I just thought that gif was ridiculous, but since MS reported it, now I get the reasoning... and it is indeed funny...

Sorry, I misunderstood your post and deleted the reply.

bry-bry said:
Sorry, I misunderstood your post and deleted the reply.

You know, it is significant that MS feels like it can afford to take this kind of PR approach. It had been pretty benign up until this point but now it seems like they feel like Sony doesn't ever stand a chance of catching up to them.

Kujo

OldJadedGamer said:
When a company fails, it makes them try that much harder to earn their sales. Look at Sony, them failing has actually helped consumers. We got a $200 price drop in under a year.

edit: and that's good for competition since now MS will try that much harder to combat this which means that we as consumers win in the end.
No but he said he hope it continues to fail, as in for it to never sell well. Why would you hope for something like that.

VALIS

Mojo said:

The PS3 tanking is a great thing for gamers, actually.

Sony wanted to co-opt their video game business with their home theater business in BluRay, but they were so arrogant and near-sighted about this, they figured they could charge far beyond the expected price for new consoles since they had everyone in their corner and gamers could just "work two jobs," and "next gen doesn't start without them," and so on. If they wanted to give BluRay a leg up in the HD format wars, they should have eaten more of the cost, but they didn't. They figured we'd pay whatever amount just to have another Playstation.

Whoops. System tanks and now is pulling out all the stops just to remain on the same field as the 360 and Wii, never mind actually competing with them.

This was good for gaming. Someone would be suicidal to try that again, including Sony, who I'm sure will come back with a much more gamer-friendly plan next time around.

Jackson

AniHawk said:
...And on the Sony side, it looks like we're finally seeing the torch being passed. The PS3 is already kinda dying out. The negative word of mouth of the last 10 months has damaged it beyond repair.

PSP continues to do very well, though this time with the addition of bundles. 2008 looks positively barren for the system outside a few games like God of War, DMC, and Gran Turismo. I'm not sure how much longer this thing will be able to sell. Frankly, I'm surprised it's still doing as well as it is.

There's no such thing as "damaged beyond repair". I mean look at the PSP, its way up from last year, and the year before that, and now with some very high profile titles out and more on the way it will continue to thrive... will it beat DS? No way, but is it a viable platform and no longer a joke like it was in the begining? Yes.

PS3 can repair itself, it's possible... Sony just needs bite he bullet and take it, sort of like how Apple in jsut 10 weeks dropped the iPhone price 200$ and then reimbursed the original iPhone owners, and is now releasing a new iPhone to alleviate all the issues the current one has, and is even *gasp* opening up its SDK to devs...

if you listen, you can change, if you're closed minded you'll sink... like the N-Gage did

squicken said:
It's not a system for gamers. There will be games that appeal to gamers,
Mostly made by Nintendo. Its definietly a system for gamers if you like Nintendo's 1st party offerings, which, as shown by the N64/Gamecube era, number in the 20 millions. But if youre not enamored enough with Nintendo's offerings to spend $250, then I don't think anyone can justify the purchase for you based on anyone else's games for the systems.

And thats primarily a loss for gamers, not for Nintendo's bottom line.

BenjaminBirdie said:
You know, it is significant that MS feels like it can afford to take this kind of PR approach. It had been pretty benign up until this point but now it seems like they feel like Sony doesn't ever stand a chance of catching up to them.

Because in America the PS3 doesn't have a chance of catching up to them.

And considering MS entire purpose in launching the xbox was beating the PlayStation naturally they are having a big slice of cake. :D

p3tran

Banned
chespace said:
Haha, that's the rumor that's out there aint it. The truth is I don't know - GAF is my release date blog for all things outside of Forza DLC.

speaking of the devil, will the track(s) DLC be released during this month (october)?

I'm really disappointed at where this generation is going. Nintendo is sitting on top of the world's largest userbase and the only thing that sells consistently is Wii Play and Wii Sports. I think Nintendo is going to need some sort of a killer app phenomenon that suddenly skyrockets sales in Japan once again to encourage development like what the DS has. That's probably the only way to get over the obstacle of attracting developers as a result being marketed as a casual device. I do hope SMG and WiiFit do the trick. It's probably the only console that stands a decent chance at breaking Japan out of their mobile and handheld obsession.

I wish Sony could do better. It's always nice having a company that truly pushes the technological envelope. I never agreed with the six hundred dollar entry point but the last two price drops have come a very long way. If there is another poor showing in November, I don't see how Sony will recover. It must have been very expensive to push for this price drop already. I hope losing this generation like this doesn't persuade them to go to the opposite extreme. That would be tragic.

What Halo did for MS was amazing. I hope this silences that nonsense about them leaving the games market.

Jackson

Visualante said:

nevar!

There is such a thing as "doesn't listen to it's customers and dies a horrible death" or "choose the wrong direction and continues down it oblivious to its mistakes"

But "damaged beyond repair" PS3 is very, very far from that point...

the question is, however, will sony change for the better, stay their course or change for the worse. Most people think, and I agree they will stay the course and suffer horribly for it...

But I'm just saying there is still a potential path hope and a bright future for PS3, but its one of many paths, most of which lead to death

AniHawk

Jackson said:
There's no such thing as "damaged beyond repair". I mean look at the PSP, its way up from last year, and the year before that, and now with some very high profile titles out and more on the way it will continue to thrive... will it beat DS? No way, but is it a viable platform and no longer a joke like it was in the begining? Yes.

PS3 can repair itself, it's possible... Sony just needs bite he bullet and take it, sort of like how Apple in jsut 10 weeks dropped the iPhone price 200$ and then reimbursed the original iPhone owners, and is now releasing a new iPhone to alleviate all the issues the current one has, and is even *gasp* opening up its SDK to devs...

if you listen, you can change, if you're closed minded you'll sink... like the N-Gage did

I'll give Sony until Spring 2008 to turn things around. Once they get Home going, and DS3, and get GTA4, and if they STILL can't come back and put up respectable numbers, it'll be done for them.

I personally think it's done now. There are going to be good games for PS3 owners for years to come, since a lot of games started off on the thing before people knew what a gigantic failure it'd be, but the same thing happened with the PSP. In March 2006, the PSP had an awesome lineup of great games like Mega Man and Syphon Filter and whatnot, and the DS, which only had Metroid Prime Hunters as its only notable release that month, still outsold the PSP. It's too far along now to really change gears. And if people start treating the PS3 like they did the PSP, the case won't be that they want to play games.

Kujo

VALIS said:
The PS3 tanking is a great thing for gamers, actually.
Initially maybe, but if it kept this way throughout this entire gen, not really. It's not going to give MS any incentive to drop prices and compete with Sony, since there would be no need. Sony knows that next time they need a cheap console, that lesson has already been learnt.

J-Rzez

WildArms said:
Gamecube failing bought us the Wii. I say it isn't too bad.

Oh god... If a similar fate follows the Playstation consoles, I dunno what I'll do... Take up metal detection as my main hobby? Or Bonsai trees... Because that is when gaming is dead to me... MS alone couldn't cater to all my needs, and who knows if they're going to try and follow that route themselves next time :(

Prine

Banned
StevieP said:
Ahahaha absolutely perfect!

Somebody's got some pent-up rage. Somebody with a Master Chief avatar no less. You know, Halo 3 still hasn't outsold Gears or Twilight Princess, right? It will, mind you, but perhaps you should make a ban bet as to whether Mario will end up selling more units. (BTW, Reggie said that Halo 3 wouldn't push all that much hardware this month, and while 250k more 360's isn't a bad thing, it certainly doesn't make him wrong).

GLADLY

You think SMG will outsell Halo 3 this year? overall?

Funky Papa said:
I think I can imagine Prine shirtless, wearing his tie as a bandana and jumping over the table like a maniac while screaming his post.

very close! hehe

Jackson

Prine said:
You think SMG will outsell Halo 3 this year? overall?

Srsly?

Like.... Srsly?

I'll take SMG over Halo 3 any day of the year as personal choice, but outselling Halo THIS year? EVER!? Srsly.gif?!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mojo said:

When the console is $300 above the accepted average, I don't see why it is a bad thing to see it flounder until it hits the price point it should have launched at.

If Sony needs to get a lesson from this, it is to release a console at $400 maximum in the launch period. In all honesty I think Nintendo needs to learn a lesson with 3rd party. First off, they should make a console that is up to the others in terms of power so that you wont alienate developers that like pushing the envelope. Waggle is great, but it would be even better if Waggle was on a console that is 3Ghz and has 512Mb of Ram with the newest shiny graphics cards. They need to forge deals XBOX 360 style and take the initiative in making relationships with 3rd party companies. We seem to forget that Sony got the way they are with 3rd parties because they made lots of deals when they first entered the market, MS expanded on that technique and perfected it.

Rip them off Nintendo, if that is one thing they should rip off from the other two, it is dealing with 3rd party and striking deals with them.

AniHawk said:
I'll give Sony until Spring 2008 to turn things around. Once they get Home going, and DS3, and get GTA4, and if they STILL can't come back and put up respectable numbers, it'll be done for them.

I personally think it's done now. There are going to be good games for PS3 owners for years to come, since a lot of games started off on the thing before people knew what a gigantic failure it'd be, but the same thing happened with the PSP. In March 2006, the PSP had an awesome lineup of great games like Mega Man and Syphon Filter and whatnot, and the DS, which only had Metroid Prime Hunters as its only notable release that month, still outsold the PSP. It's too far along now to really change gears. And if people start treating the PS3 like they did the PSP, the case won't be that they want to play games.

If the 360 outsells the PS3 3-1 or so for US holiday sales, then you can stick a fork in the PS3. By next spring, it'll be a steady stream of cancelled PS3 ports of 360 games.

squicken said:
Nintendo cares more about selling the Wii to non-gamers than selling a game machine to gamers. We still haven't seen top tier western developers announce Wii titles, all apologies to SSX, because like is always the case with Nintendo, third party sales are lackluster. It's not a system for gamers. There will be games that appeal to gamers, but that mainstream audience Nintendo is courting isn't going to care about the next Zelda game. Soccer moms don't play Zelda. If Nintendo can tap enough of the hardcore gamer and court third parties, they could crush everyone by PS2 type numbers.

Agreed about the gamer thing, devs looking at MP3 sales must be wondering why do traditional games for it "party games FTW" assuming at least 90% of hardcore Wii gamers bought MP3 (que loads of "i'm a hard core gamer and I did not buy it" posst)

However I think the Wii will do Ps2 numbers, without the hardcore gaming market, just not perhaps in games, perhaps if Nintendo had not bundled Wii sports then at least people would know that you can buy different games for it!

Kujo

Hcoregamer00 said:
When the console is $300 above the accepted average, I don't see why it is a bad thing to see it flounder until it hits the price point it should have launched at.
He was talking about wanting it to fail even after it's below that price.

The thing is, if the PS3 wasn't doing this badly and it was beating the 360, we'd have a Premium at $299 by now.

AniHawk

Tyrannical said:
If the 360 outsells the PS3 3-1 or so for US holiday sales, then you can stick a fork in the PS3. By next spring, it'll be a steady stream of cancelled PS3 ports of 360 games.

I think so. We've already seen a shitload of delayed 360 ports or games that aren't as good as their 360 counterparts. Just seems like the next logical step.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mojo said:
He was talking about wanting it to fail even after it's below that price.

The thing is, if the PS3 wasn't doing this badly and it was beating the 360, we'd have a Premium at $299 by now.

That is talking hypothetically, if the PS3 launched at $300 the Wii and the XBOX 360 would be fighting for 2nd place. That is also a hypothetical and I think most of us would agree that this would be the case if this hypothetical was true.

The problem is that the PS3 didn't launch at $300 and they are dealing with the consequences of launching a console at an unreasonable price.

Luckyman said:
What the fuck happened to Stranglehold? Halo 3?

So much bomba.

What???? :lol

J-Rzez said:
Oh god... If a similar fate follows the Playstation consoles, I dunno what I'll do... Take up metal detection as my main hobby? Or Bonsai trees... Because that is when gaming is dead to me... MS alone couldn't cater to all my needs, and who knows if they're going to try and follow that route themselves next time :(

The thing is a 20% more powerful 360 or Ps3 will at least still be able to do HD graphics!!

Top Bottom