• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

bluheim

Banned
Lobster said:
More then a 100% bump isn't weak..

We are talking about the hugest game in 360 lifespan. There will probably be nothing in the future bigger than Halo 3...and he only bumped the sale to the standard level of Wii's ones ! I'm pretty sure games like Mario Galaxy or GT5 will bump hardware sales to 1 million + values.

sinnergy

AnimeTheme said:
PS3 is doing "relatively" OK in Europe and Japan, but in the US, there is no doubt it is in serious troubles. Sony really need to hope that the upcoming price cut will help, or they will need some bigger plans to rectify the situation.

That's not what I am seeing here in the EU. Maybe it will turn out better now that the price cut is here, but PS3 just didn't sell more than Xbox 360 before the price cut.

bluheim said:
We are talking about the hugest game in 360 lifespan. There will probably be nothing in the future bigger than Halo 3...and he only bumped the sale to the standard level of Wii's ones ! I'm pretty sure games like Mario Galaxy or GT5 will bump hardware sales to 1 million + values.

What? So you think there will be no other game that will top Halo 3? There is always a other game... for starters, next year Gears of War 2 will be out.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Mario Galazy won't sell 1 million, Nintendo putting more Wiis into the pipeline will.

And GT5 isn't going to sell 1 million units anywhere. The racing sim fad is over. It will sell millions, but it won't sell millions of hardware, you can bank on that.

(note, it could sell a million consoles over time or even more, but first month hardware sales will not magically rocket trough the roof)

Coen

Great, surprisingly high numbers all-around.
I'll admit I wasn't too optimistic going into this generation of consoles. I had expected Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to come short on their expectations and the entire industry to take a big hit as a result. Both Microsoft and Sony positioned a bulky looking, much too expensive piece of equipment. Consumers were struggling to keep their 360s alive. Sony kept on making arrogant, stupid business decisions and delaying their console. The multiple SKUs weren't helping either. And Nintendo just created something weird, that had about a 50-50 chance on either becoming a huge success or failing miserably.

But seeing these numbers, I have to revise my gloomy predictions. Microsoft has positioned its 360 as the choice for gamers, giving third parties publishers a solid option to see some healthy sales on their multimillion dollar projects. Nintendo somehow managed to get the public's attention and obviously doesn't care at all what third parties do or don't, they probably feel they had to sow alone, so now they're going to harvest alone too.

Poor Sony, though...

few things. WOW @ wii60

:lol @ wii fans trying to downplay 360. i'm wii60 and the only thing i've turned my wii on for in the past 3-4 months is to stop the stupid flashing disc tray. Mario will sell like mad but outside of that the software has sucked. I lost my wii sports disc so i've been SOL.

a 360+halo 3 would have cost anywhere from $360+tax to $600+tax. well over the wiis $249 entry point. I say bravo.

ps3s numbers both hardware and software prove that ps3s numbers are being padded by HD movie player buyers and they arent buying games. If that doesnt say backfire i dont know what does. Sony may as well pack it up because after wii60s holiday onslaught of halo, price drops, bundles, mario, NiGHTS, SSMB its just fucking over. NOTHING will save sony. There is no waiting until 2008. Unless sony is coughing up some SERIOUS dough to offset money that could be made on 360 we will see ports. 30k for skate on ps3? holy fuck.

MobiusPigeon said:
few things. WOW @ wii60

:lol @ wii fans trying to downplay 360. i'm wii60 and the only thing i've turned my wii on for in the past 3-4 months is to stop the stupid flashing disc tray. Mario will sell like mad but outside of that the software has sucked. I lost my wii sports disc so i've been SOL.
Wii software sucks? If you remove every first party, non-game and exceptional third party titles, maybe.

Software sucking is PSP and PS3. Not Wii which has chart topping titles month in, month out ever since launch. And we're not even counting Wii Sports.

MobiusPigeon said:
halo 3 may take october NPD too. and by a huge margin. has that ever happened before? like since super mario 3?

Guitar Hero III launches on the 27th.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
TheKurgan said:
overall is the key word there. If the PS3 sold 1 console overall sales would have increased.
If I read their statement back to 100 people who don't know about NPD numbers, how many of them do not interpret this as PS3 sold more this month than previous month?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
GhaleonEB said:
Che, my good man. You and Jeff Bell, leaking the release timeframe of Halo Wars. Tisk tisk. :p

And November.

Haha, that's the rumor that's out there aint it. The truth is I don't know - GAF is my release date blog for all things outside of Forza DLC.

Anyway, spring goes all the way out to July nowadays. Global warming. :)

unomas

Banned
Halo domination for sure, and the Wii is still selling like hotcakes because of Wii sports. MS is in a good position with Mass Effect, COD 4, and Virtua Fighter 5 hitting in the next month so the momentum looks to continue. The 360 library is filling out nicely, they just need a lower pricepoint for the Spring along with Grand Theft Auto to get the job done.

Ya gotta wonder how long it will take for the Wii hype to die down without compelling 3rd party exclusives.

PS3.....I dunno. With the drop to $399 surely it will see a big spike in sales, but at the same time the 360 has basically taken it's place in the United States. It currently offers many of the same games and better currently available exclusives at a cheaper price. I still can't believe how badly Sony F'd up this gen.

zallaaa

my God, not so impressed by 360 performance since it was widely expected but Nintendo shipped almost a million hardware's units this month, 501k Wiis, was practically untouched by the Halo effect (if not in positive) and still supply constrained. In the next months there's no other title with a possible halo-like impact (GTA4, I don't think) so Nintendo has a cleared way to heaven.

goldenpp72

I have to say something, one game isn't going to dictate the entire consoles sales, games like dmc4, gta4, ace combat 6, halo wars, gears 2, banjo, fable, whatever, all of these will keep the flow going and you will see the big spikes happen when enough content is out there.

So.... only games that crack the top 10 are profitable?
Most of the time? Unless you're talking about shovelware, but the big games are the ones that make or break you. The sales drop off pretty precipitously after the top 10. Selling 80,000 units in an opening month or so is nothing to write home about, even with the cheaper development on the Wii.

Just like the movie industry, the games industry is dependant on a few hit games to float a dev house or even a publisher. Hell, the only reason Vivendi is even alive today is because of World of Warcraft and Blizzard's monster games in general.

The other thing that keeps publishers afloat is cheap casual games that are mostly crap but are very inexpensive to make and sell decently enough. The "deerhunter" category of gaming.

unomas said:
Halo domination for sure, and the Wii is still selling like hotcakes because of Wii sports. MS is in a good position with Mass Effect, COD 4, and Virtua Fighter 5 hitting in the next month so the momentum looks to continue. The 360 library is filling out nicely, they just need a lower pricepoint for the Spring along with Grand Theft Auto to get the job done.

Ya gotta wonder how long it will take for the Wii hype to die down without compelling 3rd party exclusives.

PS3.....I dunno. With the drop to $399 surely it will see a big spike in sales, but at the same time the 360 has basically taken it's place in the United States. It currently offers many of the same games and better currently available exclusives at a cheaper price. I still can't believe how badly Sony F'd up this gen.
How about compelling Wii first party titles?

goldenpp72 said:
I have to say something, one game isn't going to dictate the entire consoles sales, games like dmc4, gta4, ace combat 6, halo wars, gears 2, banjo, fable, whatever, all of these will keep the flow going and you will see the big spikes happen when enough content is out there.

Wii Sports.

FieryBalrog said:
Most of the time? Unless you're talking about shovelware. The sales drop off pretty precipitously after the top 10. Selling 80,000 units in an opening month or so is nothing to write home about, even with the cheaper development on the Wii.

Guess which platform has the most shovelware right now(excepting the PS2 and DS, of course)

titiklabingapat said:
Wii software sucks? If you remove every first party, non-game and exceptional third party titles, maybe.

Software sucking is PSP and PS3. Not Wii which has chart topping titles month in, month out ever since launch. And we're not even counting Wii Sports.

Guitar Hero III launches on the 27th.

being an old school nintendo fan it sucks. i should have put IMO in there. The only game to remotely keep my interest since wii launch outside of wii sports was Zelda. Paper Mario was boring, Excite Truck although fun was a rental at best. Hell i've basically rented wii games exclusively. This Christmas will finally get my wii singing again but comparitively for the entire year 360 has wrecked it software wise. When there is data saying that 67% of wii owners havent played their system for awhile and i'm feeling the same thing then something is off.

BTW i think halo 3 can outdo GH3. I have 2 and wont be getting 3 for awhile. I dont get the appeal of buying more songs for $60. F that. i'll wait until i can pay $30.

MobiusPigeon said:
being an old school nintendo fan it sucks. i should have put IMO in there. The only game to remotely keep my interest since wii launch outside of wii sports was Zelda. Paper Mario was boring, Excite Truck although fun was a rental at best. Hell i've basically rented wii games exclusively. This Christmas will finally get my wii singing again but comparitively for the entire year 360 has wrecked it software wise. When there is data saying that 67% of wii owners havent played their system for awhile and i'm feeling the same thing then something is off.

BTW i think halo 3 can outdo GH3. I have 2 and wont be getting 3 for awhile. I dont get the appeal of buying more songs for $60. F that. i'll wait until i can pay $30.
You presented your opinion of "software sales sucks" as if it was had any bearing when you see multiple Wii titles in the top 10 every month.

Guitar Hero III Wii :p

titiklabingapat said:
Guess which platform has the most shovelware right now(excepting the PS2 and DS, of course)

Which is well and good- but hardly an argument to sink millions into a AAA for the platform. If anything, its an argument against it- who knows whether the Wii audience is going to go for a Mass Effect or a Metal Gear Solid? Because that generally isn't the same audience that buys Horsez or whatever shovelware the Wii is getting.

Nice 360 numbers (Not quite the bump i think MS hoped on)
Anyone thinking that Halo3 wasn't going to sell itself is deluded, but it seems most of the Halo crowd already had a 360. i mean can it sell much more (In the US??)

Wii hype is about to hit full swing with Galaaxy soon and a number of smaller but anticipated titles coming.

PS3...... well what can i say.........

unomas

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
How about compelling Wii first party titles?

Wii Sports.

We already know about that, but that wasn't what I was talking about. Those 1st party titles will sell to the heard like they always do. My point had to do with the lack of compelling 3rd party titles, and I'll continue to stand by that. You can talk about whatever you want.

zallaaa said:
my God, not so impressed by 360 performance since it was widely expected but Nintendo shipped almost a million hardware's units this month, 501k Wiis, was practically untouched by the Halo effect (if not in positive) and still supply constrained. In the next months there's no other title with a possible halo-like impact (GTA4, I don't think) so Nintendo has a cleared way to heaven.

people buying games like Halo dont want Wii's as a rule by the same token the people who want Wii Sports dont buy Xbox's, there is obviously cross over but among the general populace you are talking about widely different demographics

BTW Nintendo are selling as many as they ship and it looks as though to me they shipped half a million units this month thinking it would be enough to beat halo3

cedric69

Historically has any company ever won the worldwide console race while losing America?

How were SNES numbers compared to Genesis this time after launch? I know Genesis was ahead, launched before, etc. But in the end SNES came through. Could this be what PS3 is aiming for?

(Notwithstanding the fact that they're losing Japan as well, obviously)

maxmars

Soule said:
well the way i read it, 2.8/3.3m already owned a 360.

Surely we didn't expect MS to sell zero xbox360s if there was no Halo 3, did we? I mean, out of those 500k-ish, there were probably at least half who would have bought it anyway for the great games already there.

On the other hand, I sincerely doubt that the selling power of Halo 3 stops today. If anything, now that the game is out, people who were waiting for it don't have to wait anymore. I know for example that I'd get a 360 today if the RROD problems were solved.

FieryBalrog said:
Which is well and good- but hardly an argument to sink millions into a AAA for the platform. If anything, its an argument against it- who knows whether the Wii audience is going to go for a Mass Effect or a Metal Gear Solid? Because that generally isn't the same audience that buys Horsez or whatever shovelware the Wii is getting.
And a $30M bomba is attractive?

unomas said:
We already know about that, but that wasn't what I was talking about. Those 1st party titles will sell to the heard like they always do. My point had to do with the lack of compelling 3rd party titles, and I'll continue to stand by that. You can talk about whatever you want.

Yeah, but you were positing about the Wii's hype on the back off of third parties when first party is the major(and some say, only) reason about the Wii's success as of this very moment. There is no reason to think that whatever third parties do will have any effect on the Wii anytime soon.

unomas

Banned
titiklabingapat said:

Yeah, but you were positing about the Wii's hype on the back off of third parties when first party is the major(and some say, only) reason about the Wii's success as of this very moment.

And Nintendo 1st party wasn't enough to get the job done against PS1 or PS2. Sales of those old Nintendo franchises have historically trended down (Mario). So if you expect those titles to suddenly spike again and become system sellers I'd get you a cup of coffee and say wake up. The Wii is primarily selling for 1 game right now, and will continue to do so until gamers decide they want actual software to play.

If Wii was getting strong 3rd party support I'd be singing a different tune, but it's not getting the 3rd party heavy hitters in the United States. Don't fool yourself, the Wii isn't selling like crazy because of Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. It's selling on the hype of Wii sports, now they just need some compelling software that isn't 1st party to continue to dominate. All of this of course doesn't take into account 1-2 years from now when the graphics start to look extremely dated.

unomas said:
And Nintendo 1st party wasn't enough to get the job done against PS1 or PS2. Sales of those old Nintendo franchises have historically trended down (Mario). So if you expect those titles to suddenly spike again and become system sellers I'd get you a cup of coffee and say wake up. The Wii is primarily selling for 1 game right now, and will continue to do so until gamers decide they want actual software to play.

If Wii was getting strong 3rd party support I'd be singing a different tune, but it's not getting the 3rd party heavy hitters in the United States. Don't fool yourself, the Wii isn't selling like crazy because of Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. It's selling on the hype of Wii sports, now they just need some compelling software that isn't 1st party to continue to dominate. All of this of course doesn't take into account 1-2 years from now when the graphics start to look extremely dated.
That was before non-games...and...dun dun dun..Wii Fit.

Jackson

unomas said:
The Wii is primarily selling for 1 game right now, and will continue to do so until mom, dad and grandpa joe decide they want actual software to play.

fixed.

EDIT: They won't get tired of it, or decide to want actual software, they'll just ask for Wii Play and Wii Fit

SPARTACVS

Banned
mightier500x500ah2.jpg

Mightier than the Sword.

DefectiveReject said:
Nice 360 numbers (Not quite the bump i think MS hoped on)
Anyone thinking that Halo3 wasn't going to sell itself is deluded, but it seems most of the Halo crowd already had a 360. i mean can it sell much more (In the US??)

How many days did they manage to almost triple their average sales in?

Jackson said:
fixed.

EDIT: They won't get tired of it, or decide to want actual software, they'll just ask for Wii Play and Wii Fit

Or they will get bored and put it back in its box, getting it once in a while for a family party

titiklabingapat said:

Is this being deliberately obtuse? Are $30M bombas the norm or the exception on the 360? The 360 is much more a known factor at this point. The Wii is unknown with hints of trending towards non-gamers. On an anecdotal level 4 out of the 5 people I know with a Wii are mainly nongamers- 3 have never owned a gaming console before, 1 owned an N64 once, and 1 is a hardcore gamer. Obviously this is not meant to prove anything, but it does gel with the general picture of the Wii at this point. Which is excellent for Nintendo and excellent for selling consoles to people who never cared for one. Is it excellent for 3rd parties? So far signs are definitely ambiguous at best.

titiklabingapat said:
There is no reason to think that whatever third parties do will have any effect on the Wii anytime soon.

Which I agree with, and is great for Nintendo's profits, however, thats nothing to comfort a gamer who wants a Bioshock or a Uncharted quality 3rd party on his Wii. While 3rd party support has traditionally driven sales, it has also, and more importantly for gamers, been good for providing quality games.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Ok I guess I will post my thoughts on this:

1.) Wow at Halo 3, that game is a monster.
2.) 360 barely beat the Wii? Wii is untouchable, and I wonder if the 360 will drop off next month or will it increase because of the holidays.
3.) Why is the Wii selling? Wii Sports
4.) Metroid Prime 3 sells - good - The Metroid Franchise is a niche series, deal with it, it will never be a Mario or Halo.
5.) Why is Wii Play still selling? Wii Remote
6.) PS3 - Awsome, serves them right for trying to charge $600 dollars while shoving Blue Ray down our throats. I hope it continues to fail.
7.) Someone in this thread asked why people don't buy many games. Consoles + Games + Controllers = Shit Load Of Money.

FieryBalrog said:
Is this being deliberately obtuse? Are $30M bombas the norm or the exception on the 360? The 360 is much more a known factor at this point. The Wii is unknown with hints of trending towards non-gamers. On an anecdotal level 4 out of the 5 people I know with a Wii are mainly nongamers- 3 have never owned a gaming console before, 1 owned an N64 once, and 1 is a hardcore gamer. Obviously this is not meant to prove anything, but it does gel with the general picture of the Wii at this point. Which is excellent for Nintendo and excellent for selling consoles to people who never cared for one. Is it excellent for 3rd parties? So far signs are definitely ambiguous at best.

No way the norm, of course but a $30M bomba is alot more painful than an $10M one. Development studios have been closed down for far less.

Coen

mr_bishiuk said:
How many days did they manage to almost triple their average sales in?

To be fair, for a five week month, it's closer to doubling.
But I agree with you and I assume we'll see Halo 3's influence on Xbox360 sales for a couple of months to come.

Top Bottom