• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

jett

D-Member
Hmm just noticed that Need for Speed Shift kinda bombed. I guess next year it's back to being about rice cars and shit.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Surprised this hasn't been posted. Is GAF less interested in sales now?

YTD:

PlayStation 2 1,145,800
PlayStation 3 1,943,500
PSP 1,372,700
Xbox 360 2,391,500
Wii 4,017,100
Nintendo DS 5,717,800

LTD:

PlayStation 2 44,600,418
PlayStation 3 8,737,696
PSP 15,714,336
Xbox 360 16,251,786
Wii 21,557,481
Nintendo DS 33,259,158

imtehman

Banned
Opiate said:
No, I don't. The 360 has lost ~2.5 billion overall, and has continued to bleed ~200 million in the last 6 months. (up through June. I expect them to lose money again July-Sep, but make money Oct-Dec).

I mean, Microsoft's system might be self sustaining if it started in the flush of its life, and avoided all those massive losses associated with the launch of a new system. But as it is, MS lost ~2.5 billion (2.5 billion dollars!) in the first two years of the system's life, and have struggled since just to break even* -- this during the system's prime, when it's supposed to be recouping the losses it accrued to start with.

So if Microsoft avoids those massive up front losses (a feat that no company has ever avoided save Nintendo), then possibly. But otherwise, no, I don't think they've accomplished that feat yet.

* To be specific, I have Microsoft's E&D division up ~350 million dollars over the course of the last 6 quarters. That's a net profit of ~58 million per quarter, which is an extremely small profit margin. And to make matters worse, they've actually lost money over the last 6 months, so the very recent past has seen MS losing money.

i didn't say they did, i said they could come next generation now that they've established, at least in the U.S., that they're a serious player in the game industry and that they are here to stay.

Opiate

confused said:
Of which 1 billion was to subsidize RROD's. Microsoft managed to do what almost everybody thought was impossible and that is stand toe to toe with Sony. MS has done what was needed to get a foot in the door, they are going to make a killing next-gen

I'll believe it when I see it. It isn't that I necessarily disagree with you, or that I don't think it's a possiblity: but this industry is extremely unpredictable and everyone always has diffeerent views of the future -- usually, a future where their large corporate conglomerate of choice has overcome the obstacles to a glorious, media hub future.

So, again, I'll believe it when I see it. What I can tell you is that right now -- as we speak, based on events that have actually happened and can be objectively measured -- Microsoft hasn't created a sustainable console business model yet. They're closer than they were 5 years ago, but then again, Sony was there five years ago, and look where they are now.

You could be right, but I'll just stick to observable metrics, thanks.

toxk_02

Black Republican
So IGN posted the Top 10 software and it's a bit different what's in the OP
http://games.ign.com/articles/103/1036545p1.html
Halo 3: ODST - 1.5 Million (Xbox 360)
Wii Sports Resort W/ Wii Motion Plus - 442,885 (Wii)
Madden NFL 10 - 289,596 (Xbox 360)
Madden NFL 10 - 246,526 (PlayStation 3)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 - 236,017 (Xbox 360)
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 207,844 (PlayStation 3)
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 202,034 (Xbox 360)
The Beatles: Rock Band - 198,299 (Xbox 360)
Wii Fit W/ Balance Board - 133,930 (Wii)

Other than an error, the only explanation I can think of is this list is console-only and only disc-based sales (no bundles/CE/LE).

CoG

confused said:
Of which 1 billion was to subsidize RROD's. Microsoft managed to do what almost everybody thought was impossible and that is stand toe to toe with Sony. MS has done what was needed to get a foot in the door, they are going to make a killing next-gen

Both Sony and Nintendo have proven that the previous generation's performance means squat to the next.

imtehman

Banned
ICallItFutile said:

YTD:

PlayStation 2 1,145,800
PlayStation 3 1,943,500
PSP 1,372,700
Xbox 360 2,391,500
Wii 4,017,100
Nintendo DS 5,717,800

LTD:

PlayStation 2 44,600,418
PlayStation 3 8,737,696
PSP 15,714,336
Xbox 360 16,251,786
Wii 21,557,481
Nintendo DS 33,259,158

hrmm, with 3 more months and if these numbers hold, i can see ps3 overtaking 360 YTD

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Opiate said:
No, I don't. The 360 has lost ~2.5 billion overall, and has continued to bleed ~200 million in the last 6 months. (up through June. I expect them to lose money again July-Sep, but make money Oct-Dec).

I mean, Microsoft's system might be self sustaining if it started in the flush of its life, and avoided all those massive losses associated with the launch of a new system. But as it is, MS lost ~2.5 billion (2.5 billion dollars!) in the first two years of the system's life, and have struggled since just to break even* -- this during the system's prime, when it's supposed to be recouping the losses it accrued to start with.

So if Microsoft avoids those massive up front losses (a feat that no company has ever avoided save Nintendo), then possibly. But otherwise, no, I don't think they've accomplished that feat yet.

* To be specific, I have Microsoft's E&D division up ~350 million dollars over the course of the last 6 quarters. That's a net profit of ~58 million per quarter, which is an extremely small profit margin. And to make matters worse, they've actually lost money over the last 6 months, so the very recent past has seen MS losing money.

Why are you not making a distinction between 360 and E&D? I thought MS didn't even break out P&L for the 360 in their quarterlies?

AnIco said:
It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

The age of Microsoft in the US is done.
:lol ..like someone else said..sounds like you been holding to bust this out for a very long time and it just bursted out suddenly as quick as you seen the sales figures, i totally imagine your hands shaking furiously as you typed that lol. Geezus dude..your gonna base this off one month? A month where sony had a major price drop and new smaller sku and a killer game (uncharted2)? And its not even about who wins, who has more sales..its a good day when all three consoles have shown they sold well because we all win.

Your either a die hard ps3 fanboy

or

Your a 10 year old die hard ps3 fanboy

Im not gonna even bother looking at your post history because i already know what it will tell me.

Rad Agast

Danthrax said:
My thoughts...

[*] aaaand I don't know why PS3 owners are still buying Batman, but okay

It's an excellent game. One of the best single player experiences this year in my opinion. Doesn't matter what system it sells on as long as it keeps on selling.

Nice PS3 numbers.

Barrett2

Considering the enormous marketing hype & buzz for Beatles, along with the enormous licensing fee, I don't see how EA could be happy with those numbers.

I'm amazed the music game fad has lasted even this long, honestly. Activision is bleeding it dry so fast, consumer good will towards the genre & peripherals have to be near rock-bottom.

confused

Banned
Opiate said:
I'll believe it when I see it. It isn't that I necessarily disagree with you, or that I don't think it's a possiblity: but this industry is extremely unpredictable and everyone always has diffeerent views of the future -- usually, a future where their large corporate conglomerate of choice has overcome the obstacles to a glorious, media hub future.

So, again, I'll believe it when I see it. What I can tell you is that right now -- as we speak, based on events that have actually happened and can be objectively measured -- Microsoft hasn't created a sustainable console business model yet. They're closer than they were 5 years ago, but then again, Sony was there five years ago, and look where they are now.

You could be right, but I'll just stick to observable metrics, thanks.

Fair enough. I only wanted to make the point that MS has a good starting point for next generation.

jeremy1456

I'm honestly surprised that even with the most aggressive ad campaign of this generation, a console redesign, and a $100 price drop that the PS3 just barely outsells the Wii.

I was honestly expecting much more for PS3. Next month I imagine the Xbox 360 will be back over it.

EDIT: Actually on second thought I think the PS3 will stay in the number 2 position next month.

Opiate

imtehman said:
i didn't say they did, i said they could come next generation now that they've established, at least in the U.S., that they're a serious player in the game industry and that they are here to stay.

Oh, I see the confusion here. I wasn't trying to imply that they'd literally pull out of the industry altogether. I meant what I said: that they could be threatened. The business would have to be more self reliant -- that doesn't mean it would cease to exist, just that it would have to shift tactics.

If you'd like me to put this differently: I don't think Sony can threaten Microsoft, because Microsoft is clearly willing to subsidize their investment in this industry. If Sony goes on a spending spree, Microsoft is willing to spend along with them. And Microsoft would win that war, because their wallet has a lot more cash in it.

But I do think Google can threaten Microsoft. If Google began to legitimately challenge MS's core properties, I think this would force MS to end subsidization of this market to focus on sustaining their core industries. That doesn't mean that the Xbox would die, just that it would be forced to be more self reliant than it has historically been. That's all.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Very entertaining thread. I can't believe how many people are taking the troll posts seriously.:lol
They need more training in the Forza/GT comparison thread.

Sipowicz

Banned
i'd like to know the numbers for dead space extraction, i guessed early on that it would sell like shit

i bet quite a few people rented it though. game is the definition of a rental

jax (old)

Banned
OrigJake78 said:
The PS3 has finally broken the streak! The PS3 has been outsold by the Xbox 360 and the Wii for the past 13 months straight.

Sony is losing $108 per console. At 491,800 consoles that's a loss of $53,114,400!

So for a lead of 29k over their closest rival Sony lost $53 Million Dollars. And that's in the American market alone.

Sony losing $100 on every PS3 Slim sold

Will PS3 sustain these sales? Maybe. The release of the 250GB PS3 will help (Early adopters am cry).

Will PS3 sustain these sales? No? The PS3 Slim dropped over 2/3rd in only its second week on sale in Japan.

Price cut = Small Increase, New Hardware + Price Cut = Larger Increase

Only one PS3 game in the top 10.

banned.

:lol :lol

this guys post history. holyshit. only posted in sales type threads?

TheRagnCajun said:
2. Will Demon's Souls chart well? Cause it really, really, should. I can't say I've ever rooted for a game saleswise, but this game is sooo good and it performed sooo poorly in Japan.

Atlus annouced they are sending a second shipment and were quite pleased with the sales, so that's good.

Mr.Potato Head said:
:lol ..like someone else said..sounds like you been holding to bust this out for a very long time and it just bursted out suddenly as quick as you seen the sales figures, i totally imagine your hands shaking furiously as you typed that lol. Geezus dude..your gonna base this off one month? A month where sony had a major price drop and new smaller sku and a killer game (uncharted2)? And its not even about who wins, who has more sales..its a good day when all three consoles have shown they sold well because we all win.

or

Im not gonna even bother looking at your post history because i already know what it will tell me.
You fail.

Opiate

confused said:
Fair enough. I only wanted to make the point that MS has a good starting point for next generation.

They have a lot of great things going for them: while they've still experienced losses this generaiton, those losses have certainly shrunk considerably. I'd also argue they have a great deal of good will from the major third party publishers, which is of great importance. I think the choice to make XBox Live a pay-for service has been, in hindsight, a very smart move, and could pay great dividends at the console transition: if people view Xbox Live as the real platform, then switching from the 360 -> 720 is a necessity. You aren't buying a new system, you're upgrading the platform you have already invested in.

See? I can see these things too. I think all of what you said could come to pass, and I think the things I've outlined here are reasonable, too. But I could come up with a list of positives for Nintendo and Sony, too, and I'm just going to wait and see whose list of positives actually trumps.

confused

Banned
Opiate said:
Oh, I see the confusion here. I wasn't trying to imply that they'd literally pull out of the industry altogether. I meant what I said: that they could be threatened. The business would have to be more self reliant -- that doesn't mean it would cease to exist, just that it would have to shift tactics.

If you'd like me to put this differently: I don't think Sony can threaten Microsoft, because Microsoft is clearly willing to subsidize their investment in this industry. If Sony goes on a spending spree, Microsoft is willing to spend along with them. And Microsoft would win that war, because their wallet has a lot more cash in it.

But I do think Google can threaten Microsoft. If Google began to legitimately challenge MS's core properties, I think this would force MS to end subsidization of this market to focus on sustaining their core industries. That doesn't mean that the Xbox would die, just that it would be forced to be more self reliant than it has historically been. That's all.

I tend to disagree. If MS core properties were to be challenged they would probably try to diversify ie. Windows on mobile phones, Xbox or other growing venues of revenue.

Also Xbox LIVE suppossedly raked in over a billion in revenue

EazyB

Banned
Beatles > GH Fucking awesome.

Great sales for the Slim, I doubt they'll still be #1 next month but they'll finally give MS a run for their money. Which is great because MS hasn't done shit for quite a while compared to a $300 slim, the 360 pricing is a joke.

Good ODST sales, a quick one year game with a budget that probably pales in comparison to a full Halo release, still sells 1.5 million. Wouldn't be surprised if it dropped to the lower half of the top ten next month but regardless that $60 title must have turned quite the profit.

WinFonda said:
That's a lot of moved hardware. Go go gadget gif

fmjvno.jpg

Such an awesome gif, hahah. I'm also happy with PS3 sales, can't wait to see Octobers PSP Go, sales. ;B

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Very entertaining thread. I can't believe how many people are taking the troll posts seriously.:lol

"For you, the the post where AnIco disgraced your Microsoft was the most important post of the thread, but for me it was comical trolling."

Doubledex

Banned
Mr.Potato Head said:

or

:lol :lol :lol :lol You fail, dude

Accident

Bombas:
Dirt 2 (September 8)
LittleBigPlanet: Game of the Year Edition (September 8)
Mini Ninjas (September 8)
Muramasa: The Demon Blade (September 8)
Need for Speed: Shift (September 15) NHL 10 (September 15)
NHL 2K10 (September 15)
Scribblenauts (September 15)
Wet (September 15)
Spyborgs (September 25)
Beaterator (September 29)
Dead Space Extraction (September 29)
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (September 29)
Gran Turismo (October 1)
http://kotaku.com/5385337/npd-instant-analysis-things-you-should-note

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Accident said:
Bombas:
Dirt 2 (September 8)
NHL 2K10 (September 15)
Wet (September 15)
Spyborgs (September 25)
Gran Turismo (October 1)
I completely forgot about DiRT and SHIFT.

So did everyone else, evidently.

Accident said:
Bombas:
Dirt 2 (September 8)
NHL 2K10 (September 15)
Wet (September 15)
Spyborgs (September 25)
Gran Turismo (October 1)

Pretty much all either expected or deserved.

bafflewaffle said:
mediocre game, does not deserve to be in top npd imo

ritia picross is ds goty
lol @ this f00 wrong opinion, Anyway all seems as expected for this month i guess nothing really out of the ordinary happen, call me in november hopefully things will be more interesting then.

Zen

Banned
confused said:

That's what people said last gen. Honestly both Sony and Microsoft need to rethink their business strategy.

w3stfa11

ICallItFutile said:

YTD:

PlayStation 2 1,145,800
PlayStation 3 1,943,500
PSP 1,372,700
Xbox 360 2,391,500
Wii 4,017,100
Nintendo DS 5,717,800

LTD:

PlayStation 2 44,600,418
PlayStation 3 8,737,696
PSP 15,714,336
Xbox 360 16,251,786
Wii 21,557,481
Nintendo DS 33,259,158

Anyone think the PS3 will overtake the Xbox 360 in YTD in the coming months?

confused

Banned
Accident said:
Bombas:
Dirt 2 (September 8)
NHL 2K10 (September 15)
Wet (September 15)
Spyborgs (September 25)
Gran Turismo (October 1)

One of these does not belong here....

Accident said:
Bombas:
Dirt 2 (September 8)
NHL 2K10 (September 15)
Wet (September 15)
Spyborgs (September 25)
Gran Turismo (October 1)

how was that a bomba when this npd only takes in 3 days of sale for that game?

Opiate

confused said:
I tend to disagree. If MS core properties were to be challenged they would probably try to diversify ie. Windows on mobile phones, Xbox or other growing venues of revenue.

Also Xbox LIVE suppossedly raked in over a billion in revenue

For most companies in the world, this would be the right choice, but Microsoft isn't built like most companies.

Microsoft is essentially a core from which a million (very profitable) arms have been extended. That's why crazy people always talk about the fall of Microsoft in grand terms, when people don't even suggest that possibility for companies like Mitsubishi or 3M.

If you challenged the Windows monopoly, then the monopolies provided by Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Internet Explorer are all threatened by extension. Those aren't vague threats, either: a huge portion of the dominance these peripheral software brands experience is on the back of Windows.

Even the 360 is, at least in part, reliant on the PC platform: I don't think it's a coincidence that so many long time PC devs seem so comfortable with the 360. It's because the programming and architecture are so similar.

Microsoft's core is their OS. If that core was ever seriously threatened, Microsoft would pull out all stops to smash that threat. They've already pulled out an enormous number of stops as is: before Google had announced Chrome OS, Microsoft was prepared to spend 48 Billion dollars to buy Yahoo. To put that in to perspective, Microsoft was willing to pay nearly 50 billion dollars just to gain 12-13% of the market that Google dominates.

Accident said:
Bombas:
Dirt 2 (September 8)
NHL 2K10 (September 15)
Wet (September 15)
Spyborgs (September 25)
Gran Turismo (October 1)

Kingdom Hearts and Gran Turismo probably still sold well, and I'm sure KH will show up when we get the Top 20.

And it's not like anyone expected great sales from any of those other games.

confused said:

Why next gen, they were supposed to make money on the 360, it was the original xbox that was built to get them into the industry and gain ground with.

Accident said:
Bombas:
Dirt 2 (September 8)
NHL 2K10 (September 15)
Wet (September 15)
Spyborgs (September 25)
Gran Turismo (October 1)

So no games sold except the top 10. Got it.

P.S. Did you just admit to reading Kotaku?

Top Bottom