• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

jeremy1456

confused said:
But they will. Everybody rushed out for Uncharted 2 not only us so-called hardcores. After all, it is Sony's big fall title and Batman is multiplatform, meaning sales usually drop off until the price is slashed.

Uncharted 2 may be Sony's biggest fall title, but the original game was not a huge mega hit. I think It sold over a million in the US which is still impressive, but Grand Theft Auto it is not.

kamspy said:
Similarity in Madden numbers really strike me as the most compelling.

What was it in 09, 08?

Madden's a pretty decent foreshadow game for MW2. Could be big for Sony. Bring on more competition.

This is the second month. 360 sold about a million last month vs something like 600k. It was posted earlier.

confused said:
But they will. Everybody rushed out for Uncharted 2 not only us so-called hardcores. After all, it is Sony's big fall title and Batman is multiplatform, meaning sales usually drop off until the price is slashed.

What exactly is this based on? I mean, the original Uncharted didn't exactly set the world on fire.

I'm expecting the sequel to do better, but I don't really think the audience is the same as the audience for Batman. Batman has already bucked the trend by having unusually strong second month numbers, and I think it will probably continue to have strong sales at least through the holiday season.

elrechazao said:
This is the second month. 360 sold about a million last month vs something like 600k. It was posted earlier.

Difference between the two LTD is about 300,000. Last year the 360 version outsold the PS3 version by well over a million. The trend has definitely changed by quite a lot.

I dont understand the comments about ODST and its relation to a 360 hardware jump.

Halo 3 was the new Halo for the 360; ODST was an extension of Halo 3. Its safe to say that most if not almost all of the 1.52 million ODSTs purchased were people that already had a 360 and already had Halo 3.

It wasnt meant to sell 360s; it was meant to make some serious money.

The same goes for Uncharted 2. Its going to sell great, but its not going to push systems.

TheRagnCajun said:
I would have thought that you've been around long enough to see a couple massive bannings. The biggest one I personally witnessed was the MGS4 PA strip. I think that was 16 accounts.

Pretty sure the Epic Mickey threads (both of them!) are the champs as far as massive bannings. I think between the two threads there have been over 30 bans.

Opiate

RSTEIN said:
Why are you not making a distinction between 360 and E&D? I thought MS didn't even break out P&L for the 360 in their quarterlies?

You are correct, they do not make such a distinction. What are you suggesting we do? Just draw no conclusions whatsoever? That is a possible conclusion, by the way, but not one I happen to ascribe to in this case.

At some points, people have suggested that the 360 was actually doing worse than the E&D average, such as in the early 360 days. At other times, people have suggested the 360 was keeping the E&D afloat, such as the recent year or so.

We don't know, so we have to draw conclusions with what we have. I tend to think -- or perhaps simply hope -- that the times when 360 was dragging the division down approximately cancel out the times when it has boosted it.

jvm

Gamasutra.
jeremy1456 said:
Uncharted 2 may be Sony's biggest fall title, but the original game was not a huge mega hit. I think It sold over a million in the US which is still impressive, but Grand Theft Auto it is not.
It sold 2.4 million worldwide, but between 500K and 750K in the US outside of bundles. (Closer to the low end, but I can't be specific.)

Banned
Scottlarock said:
did the OG XBOX ever beat the ps2?

--------------- PS2 ---- xbox ------
Apr/2004 180,000 300,000
Aug/2004 210,000 220,000
Sep/2004 250,000 270,000
Nov/2004 690,000 700,000
Dec/2004 990,000 1,050,000

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TheRagnCajun said:
I would have thought that you've been around long enough to see a couple massive bannings. The biggest one I personally witnessed was the MGS4 PA strip. I think that was 16 accounts.

Anyways. This month is good news for all. My two biggest questions now are:

1.Are sales going to be up again in Oct because of the holiday ramp up, or are things going to dive because the price drop/sku launches have come and gone?

2. Will Demon's Souls chart well? Cause it really, really, should. I can't say I've ever rooted for a game saleswise, but this game is sooo good and it performed sooo poorly in Japan. They dragged their feet getting this game to NA shores and I really want it to pay off for the developer and publisher

Let's not forget all the bannings in the Epic Mickey thread, which was quite recent.

As for your #1, I think they'll taper off a bit, since November is when most of the holiday-related sales hit. Yeah, they ramp up in October, which will help off-set the drop from being a month-and-a-half out from the price drop.

kamspy

elrechazao said:

o

but even at:

360: 1.25M
PS3: 800k

I'm a pretty impressed. I expected >>>2:1 for Madden.

AwRy108

I don't care who sells the most consoles, as long as one of them continues to deliver games like Uncharted 2!

Great month for Sony, but will it last?

Sean

Banned
Fairly predictable month, no big surprises or major upsets. PS3 on top in hardware and ODST on top in software as most everyone predicted.

Good month for Sony on the hardware front. PS3 sales were in line with my prediction (I had it down for 520k) although the difference between PS3 and Wii sales wasn't as big as I had expected - I was thinking there'd be a 100k gap between the two but it was fairly close at just 29k.

Kind of proves just how strong the Wii is sales-wise when the 360 (with Halo 3 release) only managed to beat it by 27k in Sept 07 and the PS3 (with redesign & price drop) only beat it by 29k in Sept 09. Both of those things were the "big guns" for MS and Sony but for Nintendo it was 'just another month' basically.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Damn, I low balled all the consoles with my predictions. Good numbers all around. Congrats Sony. Will be interesting to see if they keep this up.

Archie said:
http://twitter.com/creamsugar ?

I think he is legit.

MURAMASA > 35K
Scribblenauts > 193K
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days > 201K
GT > 18K
Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny > 26K

Wow @ GT. That is definitely a bomba.

Kingdom Hearts did pretty solid sales for its first week. It should have better sales with a full month in October.

Those are also great sales for Scribblenauts, and decent for Muramasa.

confused

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:
What exactly is this based on? I mean, the original Uncharted didn't exactly set the world on fire.

I'm expecting the sequel to do better, but I don't really think the audience is the same as the audience for Batman. Batman has already bucked the trend by having unusually strong second month numbers, and I think it will probably continue to have strong sales at least through the holiday season.

Assumptions, just like your statements.

Reading Tretton's comments on the GO (300% increase week over week) is it safe to say the GO did about 100K ?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Being fair, GT PSP was rolled out pretty quietly in the US. It didn't seem like Sony was even trying to push it.

Busaiku

Archie said:
http://twitter.com/creamsugar ?

I think he is legit.

MURAMASA > 35K
Scribblenauts > 193K
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days > 201K
GT > 18K
Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny > 26K
I never would've even dreamed of thinking that Gran Turismo could've done that badly.
I didn't expect much, but that is just insane.

Kingdom Hearts actually did pretty well.

PSGames

Those are impressive PS3 Madden numbers. Can anyone with info see if the 360 madden is down from last year? The PS3 Madden is up from last year? Or both?

jman2050 said:
Does the media-create edict on download sales apply here too?

That would make sense.

Yes, because we don't get numbers. And you bet your ass Sony would definitely trumpet their sales in the US if they were good.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta be honest, I thought the PS3 numbers would be higher and the Wii numbers would be lower. Great numbers though.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
horrid GT numbers

Not completely terrible Muramasa numbers. About 4 hours in right now..great game.

Top Bottom