• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

Amir0x

Banned
Htown said:
Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but..

I played the shit out of RE4 Wii edition. It was fantastic. It was a regular (i.e. not on rails) RE/Dead Space style adventure that had already been released on two platforms, and IIRC it still sold a good number of copies on Wii. I've been wanting more of that kind of third person action game on Wii, and the only thing released since RE4 that was like that was Dead Rising: CTYD.

Don't get me wrong, I love lightgun games. I own pretty much all of the good ones for Wii: Ghost Squad, HOTD 2&3 and Overkill, Umbrella Chronicles, even Link's Crossbow Training. I don't have any problem with the genre. MY problem is when devs and publishers act like that is therefore the only kind of hardcore game that will sell well on the Wii, and so instead of making a version of RE5 or a Resident Evil or Dead Space spinoff that PLAYS LIKE Resident Evil or Dead Space, they take away freedom of movement and make lightgun games.

Part of the point of claustrophobic, slower-paced action games like Resident Evil and Dead Space is controlling the space. You have generally slow moving enemies and a slow moving character because part of the tension comes from "oh God they're getting closer I'm backed into a corner" and so forth, as opposed to other games that are about wide open spaces and running around and shooting people in the face as much as you can. I'm glad people are making lightgun games, but I'm NOT glad that nobody's making the OTHER kind of game experience for Wii.

I guess I can see the issue, but you're choosing to take your anger out on good games like Dead Space Extraction with your comments. It's a good game, the developer did not cheap out on it. It's not some inferior product.

I guess I don't really care otherwise, because if I want RE4/Dead Space style games, I have a PS360 and I'll just play them there (and likely enjoy them infinitely more, because it's purely traditional controlled/so much better visuals). But that's just my preference. For someone who only owns a Wii, I can see how it'd be frustrating.

This is where I say "Buy a 360" in case you don't own one, but we know that song and dance.

Tobor

Opiate said:
I think we understand this, but you're really stretching it if you believe this it is reasonable to conclude that is a substantive portion of the sales.

When you have 99% of the data and it all points to the same conclusion, you can insist that the other 1% would tell a completely different story, but reason and logic should dictate that isn't likely to be the case.
We don't have 99% of the data. Post Go launch, we'll never have accurate software sales for PSP games again.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
TheFatOne said:
When I picked up Uncharted 2 I asked the Gamestop employee how many pre orders they had for MW2 and he said 600+ and growing. That game is going to sell crazy numbers.
...maybe I should preorder MW2. O_O

TheFatOne said:
When I picked up Uncharted 2 I asked the Gamestop employee how many pre orders they had for MW2 and he said 600+ and growing. That game is going to sell crazy numbers.
that's just....I can't even....

Kotick, you don't deserve this type of success. I'm gonna be gritting teeth when walking up to the register to buy this fucking game.

Anyone else seeing a stupidly high number of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 ads? I'm seeing more of these things than U2.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Patcher (yes I know his real name but I refuse to use it) was bang on with the PSP Go in so many ways. Overpriced. Awkward. Confused. Misguided. Mess. Disaster. Stillborn. Hated by retailers.

Was the PSPGo device initiated under Stringer? It must have been. If it was, well it's definitely a black mark on his record and goes against everything he said he would try to accomplish.

donny2112

Actual

USConsoles-14.png

Estimated

WWConsoles-23.png

Somnid said:
Yikes at Soul Caliber, Gran Turismo, and Motorstorm. I hate to say it but it looks like PSP might be on it's way out if a lineup like that can bomb that hard. PSP Go also seems to be nothing but hurting preception (even though I like the idea). I seriously hope for Sony's sake that PSN sales are doing well.

Is it really that surprising? Portable versions of console games have been bombing on the psp since it was created. I never understood why so many here got so excited about all the "me too" games psp got this year, and is getting next year.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Byakuya769 said:
Is it really that surprising? Portable versions of console games have been bombing on the psp since it was created. I never understood why so many here got so excited about all the "me too" games psp got this year, and is getting next year.
God of War sold really well on the PSP, as did Final Fantasy. It's a hit and miss most of the time.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Amir0x said:
I guess I can see the issue, but you're choosing to take your anger out on good games like Dead Space Extraction with your comments. It's a good game, the developer did not cheap out on it. It's not some inferior product.

I guess I don't really care otherwise, because if I want RE4/Dead Space style games, I have a PS360 and I'll just play them there (and likely enjoy them infinitely more, because it's purely traditional controlled/so much better visuals). But that's just my preference. For someone who only owns a Wii, I can see how it'd be frustrating.

This is where I say "Buy a 360" in case you don't own one, but we know that song and dance.
I'm not really mad at the devs on this one, more at EA. And less "mad" then "frustrated" but now I'm splitting hairs.

And as for another platform, of course the visuals are better, but I just don't like dual analog controls for any game where I have to aim a gun. With the mouse on PC and the remote on the Wii both being better IMO, I just don't want to do that any more. I have been thinking about picking up Dead Space on PC, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

TheFatOne

chubigans said:
...maybe I should preorder MW2. O_O

WretchedTruman said:
that's just....I can't even....

Kotick, you don't deserve this type of success. I'm gonna be gritting teeth when walking up to the register to buy this fucking game.

Anyone else seeing a stupidly high number of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 ads? I'm seeing more of these things than U2.

Yea I was like WTF!!! The city I live in has a population size of 100k so all things considered I think that is a crazy amount of pre orders. Also tried to buy Demon's Souls, but the same employee bought the last copy an hour before I got there :lol I wonder how Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2 will do on the next NPD.

Mithos

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
I don't see how you can classify Dead Space Extraction as anything other than a "full adventure."

It is extremely fun.

Yes it IS fun, I wonder though if it had not been a better move to make it an FPS.

And on another note I actually played through Extraction BEFORE the PS3 game that I am playing now, and it added to the creepyness, because now when I enter a place its like wooaahh I've been here before in the Wii game and then "this" happened.

Road

donny2112 said:
Actual

[IMG.]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/donny2112/Sales%20Numbers/USConsoles-14.png[/IMG]
You just made realize that this was actually PS3's 3rd best month yet:

1. Dec 2007: 798k
2. Dec 2008: 726k
3. Sep 2009: 492k
4. Dec 2006: 491k
5. Nov 2007: 466k

Byakuya769 said:
Because while I can't comment on Soul Calibur or Gran Turismo, Motorstorm is done extremely well and isn't attempting to be a carbon copy of the PS3 versions. It offers something new to the Motorstorm series in a full featured package. What's not to love? As for my other PSP 2009 release purchases, would you say Dissidia, Prinny, Half Minute Hero or Resistance (not even close to the same as the console entries) are me-too games?

Tobor said:
I'm aware of that, but without MS, Sony, Nintendo, Valve, and Apple's direct involvement, it's useless.
Well that's unfortunate.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
AniHawk said:
I think the people shitting on the revival of lightgun games are the same people shitting on the revival of 2D sidescrollers.

Who's shitting on 2D sidescrollers <rolls up sleeves> let me at them I tell you
9pu81j.gif
!!

jeremy1456

chubigans said:
God of War sold really well on the PSP, as did Final Fantasy. It's a hit and miss most of the time.

Did anything besides those two games, and possibly lumines make the top ten?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The Extraction number is low, no question,but its not like it had a high ceiling to begin with. With the number of days it had I would have guessed 35-40K would have been a good number. Obviously it didn't get close to that, but let's not act like this was going to move 100K in 6-7 days.

RuGalz

If the big hits from 3rd parties on PSP all fail in the attempt to revive the platform, it's probably safe to say the platform is dead. There's strong likely hood Sony may consider, or should, simply pull the plug on PSP2 since it will be impossible to convince 3rd parties to develop for such platform.

Somnid

Byakuya769 said:

I don't remember it being this bad. MGS:pO and GOW did pretty good, Monster Hunters are near straight PS2 ports and did well. You'd expect a little more from these. Motorstorm was probably the weakest but sub-3k is a bigger bomb than Viewtiful Joe 2.

TheFatOne said:
Yea I was like WTF!!! The city I live in has a population size of 100k so all things considered I think that is a crazy amount of pre orders. Also tried to buy Demon's Souls, but the same employee bought the last copy an hour before I got there :lol I wonder how Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2 will do on the next NPD.
I'm thinking Demon's Souls could overtake Brutal Legend as this year's biggest sleeper hit. U2 should do very well in the states, if my anecdotal evidence is of any indication, but that's for another thread.

AwRy108

Byakuya769 said:

...because having console-like gaming in the palm of your hand is actually pretty appealing. Sadly, piracy has ruined any chances of PSP software making a splash in terms of sales numbers.

I've had the PSP since it's first month of existence, and I love the direction the software is headed: Dissidia, Arctic Edge, Soul Calibur, etc. are freekin' great portable gaming experiences. Too bad this software push won't continue if nobody actually pays for the games... ...hopefully the platform will at least sustain itself long enough for the US to get Phantasy Star Portable 2 :D

So out of curiosity, and this is a serious question.

But how long before developers abandon the idea of making 'mature' games for the Wii?

I know they're cheap to make on the Wii, but have any really sold well enough to justify the time and effort also?

And even IF you coudl come up with a small handful of titles that have done 'ok', it surely still wouldn't justify devs takign the time out to bother.

That doesn't mean we can't get good games on the Wii, just not 'mature' ones, however you want to intepret it.

It must be frustrating for Wii only owners to only be given a very select few titles in this bracket.

MadWorld (which I own) - bombed
Conduit - bombed
Dead Space - bombed
RE4 - kicked ass
Metroid - kicked ass but is 1st party established franchise

I can't even think of any others, but outside of RE4 which was a port, do these types of games have much of a future on Wii?

Kusagari said:
Motorstorm 2 sold horribly too. Why is anybody surprised by Arctic Edge's numbers?
Not surprised in my case, but it sure is disappointing/shocking at how goddamn low they are. The thing is, does anyone outside of NeoGAF even know this game is out? Sony doesn't even try and push its PSP games it seems. I see PSP Go ads infrequently, but they don't list any of the features, nor do they promote any particular games.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Road said:
What we have so far:
Why does IGN list RB 360 at 198 when it's IN the freaking top ten(so obviously the number is nonsense) - and how do people extrapolate PS3 RB from that number?

soldat7

RSTEIN said:
Patcher (yes I know his real name but I refuse to use it) was bang on with the PSP Go in so many ways. Overpriced. Awkward. Confused. Misguided. Mess. Disaster. Stillborn. Hated by retailers.

Was the PSPGo device initiated under Stringer? It must have been. If it was, well it's definitely a black mark on his record and goes against everything he said he would try to accomplish.

You have to admit, Sony needed to do something about piracy. Anything.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
So out of curiosity, and this is a serious question.

But how long before developers abandon the idea of making 'mature' games for the Wii?

The problem extends to all third-party software on the Wii, not just the mature titles.

lordoftherink said:
Not surprised in my case, but it sure is disappointing/shocking at how goddamn low they are. The thing is, does anyone outside of NeoGAF even know this game is out? Sony doesn't even try and push its PSP games it seems. I see PSP Go ads infrequently, but they don't list any of the features, nor do they promote any particular games.

I haven't seen a psp ad that didn't have GT in it for a long time now.

jvm

Gamasutra.
lordoftherink said:
Also, didn't the NPD say they were going to start reporting on digital distribution numbers? Anyone know when/if that is going to start?
NPD has been gathering data and offering a report (for a large fee, I suspect) for a while now. Recent mention of it in the mainstream (videogame enthusiast) press is what made it seem new.

Top Bottom