• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

Nickodamus
Banned
(Today, 02:13 AM)
Reply | Quote

What'd this guy do?

Side note: I was just informed that my local Gamestop's midnight launch for Modern Warfare has over 300 customers confirmed. And those are just the people who pre ordered the game and have walked in assuring their presence on November 11th. The number could be 400+ before the launch.

Jesus God.

Road

What we have so far:

01. HALO 3: ODST (360; Sep-09) 1.52M
02. WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII; Jul-09) 442.9K
03. MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 289.6K
04. MARIO & LUIGI:BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY (NDS; Sep-09) 258.1K
05. THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (360; Sep-09) 254.0K
06. MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 246.5K
07. MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2 (360; Sep-09) 236.0K
08. BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* (PS3; Aug-09) 212.5K
09. GUITAR HERO 5* (360; Sep-09) 210.8K
10. THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (WII; Sep-09) 208.6K

xx. BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* (360; Aug-09) 202.0K+
xx. KINGDOM HEARTS 385/2 (DS; Sep-09) 195k - 208k
xx. SCRIBBLENAUTS (DS; Sep-09) 194k
xx. WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD (WII; Apr-08) 133.9k+
xx. THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (PS3; Sep-09) 132.4K

-- GUITAR HERO 5 (ALL) 499k

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/1...s-beat-cobain/
http://games.ign.com/articles/103/1036545p1.html
http://ds.ign.com/articles/103/1036643p1.html

That PSP news is sending a pretty strong message.

Not to mention the release of Australian PSP Go! sales figures. 1000 console sold in it's first week across the WHOLE country :lol

Sony needs to get onto a PSP2 STAT!

The original console can't sell software outside Japan, and the revised console can't sell at all.

DeadTrees

nbc_SNL_chase.jpg

"This just in from NPD, at this moment the PSP is still dead."

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
MARIO & LUIGI 3 selling gangbusters, ensuring us many years of one of the best rpg franchises in the future.

now, transfer that success to a bad ass new PAPER MARIO on wii, nintendo!

Kenaras

lordoftherink said:
Is this the first time since their release that the NPD Holy Trinity of Wii Play, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart Wii have all failed to chart?
Also, those Gran Turismo numbers make me not want to see whatever Motorstorm PSP did.

Yeah, I think this is the first time they're all out of the top ten. Of course, they might have made their exit just in time for a new Holy Trinity to begin its reign: Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, New Super Mario Bros. Wii. We'll see.

And hopefully you stopped reading the thread before the Motorstorm numbers were posted. I heard that was a really good game, too. (Not into racers myself.)

Jackson

BigNastyCurve said:
Developing for the DS is cheaper than developing for the Wii, so 200k on the DS perhaps means it at least broke even?

200k units in 2.5 weeks... vs 200k units lifetime is a huge difference.

Loudninja said:
Huh these are not digtial sales I don't know why you keep bringing the GO up.

Maybe you missed it:

Gran Turismo PSN Card Voucher <1k
All other seven games available on PSN Card Voucher combined <1.3k

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Tutomos said:
Hardcore handled gaming....not so hot. It's probably one of the reasons why Microsoft is hesitant with that market.

It's what I'm thinking to tbh, there can't be any other reason than that really unless anyone else has any ideas ?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dragona Akehi said:
Maybe you missed it:

Cards aren't the only way to get the games, ya know. I had my PSN wallet full and had no idea these cards existed till I walked in the store.

Not saying GT pushed over 5k or anything on DD only, but still...

Barrett2

Loudninja said:
Huh these are not digtial sales I don't know why you keep bringing the GO up.

True. I guess in general it just makes me suspicious of the PSP relaunch effort in general.

But like was already posted, the PSP voucher cards had abysmal sales. The PSP demographic skews young; ie: lots of owners with no credit cards, who would need to purchase voucher cards to get DD games. I guarantee the DD numbers are pretty bad, based on the card sales.

Really too bad for Dead Space Extraction. I'm guessing there will be very few M rated games showing up on the Wii anymore, as they really don't sell.

I've done my part in buying them, but I'm a dying breed. lol

Amir0x said:
I don't see how you can classify Dead Space Extraction as anything other than a "full adventure."

I don't know what the hell is wrong with gamers when good light gun games get shitted on. Dead Space 2 will be on PS360, just like Dead Space 1 is. Dead Space Extraction is an expansion of the universe which serves to enrich the first game, as well as take advantage of the truly unique strengths of the Wii. Don't see how that is somehow less a game, shit.

It is extremely fun.

Totally agreed.

It's really a shame... light-gun games are apparently just impossible to be considered worthy of being games, which is really sad.

It actually seems to be the case for a lot of genres... when games cost as much as they do, people just seem to buy the FPS games and some Action games, and everything else is pretty much not worth considering.

That said I do think companies should be playing with pricing more. It's clear by now that people are not willing to pay $50 for a light-gun shooter because they perceive them to be of cheaper quality and of less value.

There either need to be tons more buying incentives for light-gun games (free peripherals or controller casings or something) or they need to start at a lower price.

It's just a shame that if you're a light-gun game or a racing game (as seen with Excitebots and Motorstorms and so on) then you're not even worth a look, especially not at full price.

confused

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Maybe you missed it:

Out of curiosity, what are some of the other games ?

chubigans said:
Cards aren't the only way to get the games, ya know. I had my PSN wallet full and had no idea these cards existed till I walked in the store.

If it was anything significant, we'd have had a PR by now celebrating it. Also, we have points cards and vouchers because the vast majority of gamers (ie kids) don't have access to credit cards.

WretchedTruman said:
Nickodamus
Banned
Reply | Quote

What'd this guy do?

Accusing people of piracy because they use CFW/Homebrew/etc is a bad thing. 'Specially when that includes the administration staff.

AniHawk

I think the people shitting on the revival of lightgun games are the same people shitting on the revival of 2D sidescrollers.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Dragona Akehi said:
Maybe you missed it:

I doubt this is representative of downloadable game sales in general. The cards are not required to purchase the games, and in fact I would say are a mere token to try to keep retail happy more than a serious attempt to move software.

beast786

Dragona Akehi said:
Maybe you missed it:

Why the hell you would buy a PSPgo and go to the store and buy a voucher for Download product. That makes absolutely no sense at all.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
jvm said:
I doubt this is representative of downloadable game sales in general. The cards are not required to purchase the games, and in fact I would say are a mere token to try to keep retail happy more than a serious attempt to move software.
You oughta see if Sony will share some numbers with you jvm, or some percentage at the very least.

jvm said:

Well as mentioned: credit cards. We don't have numbers, but if they were significant, we'd have heard what a success they were.

AniHawk said:
I think the people shitting on the revival of lightgun games are the same people shitting on the revival of 2D sidescrollers.

Clearly these people must die.

confused

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

Not to mention the release of Australian PSP Go! sales figures. 1000 console sold in it's first week across the WHOLE country :lol

The original console can't sell software outside Japan, and the revised console can't sell at all.

FUUUUUUUUUnbelievable

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Amir0x said:
I don't see how you can classify Dead Space Extraction as anything other than a "full adventure."

I don't know what the hell is wrong with gamers when good light gun games get shitted on. Dead Space 2 will be on PS360, just like Dead Space 1 is. Dead Space Extraction is an expansion of the universe which serves to enrich the first game, as well as take advantage of the truly unique strengths of the Wii. Don't see how that is somehow less a game, shit.

It is extremely fun.
Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but..

I played the shit out of RE4 Wii edition. It was fantastic. It was a regular (i.e. not on rails) RE/Dead Space style adventure that had already been released on two platforms, and IIRC it still sold a good number of copies on Wii. I've been wanting more of that kind of third person action game on Wii, and the only thing released since RE4 that was like that was Dead Rising: CTYD.

Don't get me wrong, I love lightgun games. I own pretty much all of the good ones for Wii: Ghost Squad, HOTD 2&3 and Overkill, Umbrella Chronicles, even Link's Crossbow Training. I don't have any problem with the genre. MY problem is when devs and publishers act like that is therefore the only kind of hardcore game that will sell well on the Wii, and so instead of making a version of RE5 or a Resident Evil or Dead Space spinoff that PLAYS LIKE Resident Evil or Dead Space, they take away freedom of movement and make lightgun games.

Part of the point of claustrophobic, slower-paced action games like Resident Evil and Dead Space is controlling the space. You have generally slow moving enemies and a slow moving character because part of the tension comes from "oh God they're getting closer I'm backed into a corner" and so forth, as opposed to other games that are about wide open spaces and running around and shooting people in the face as much as you can. I'm glad people are making lightgun games, but I'm NOT glad that nobody's making the OTHER kind of game experience for Wii.

lowrider007 said:
It's what I'm thinking to tbh, there can't be any other reason than that really unless anyone else has any ideas ?
Well, it depends on how you define "hardcore". I see two RPGs and a puzzle/platform/adventure/watchamacallit at or over 200k in their first months on DS. Those are hardcore games to me, but I think you have a different idea in mind.

Barrett2

beast786 said:
Why the hell you would buy a PSPgo and go to the store and buy a voucher for Download product. That makes absolutely no sense at all. If you are basing it on voucher to download a game on a hand held that I am sorry.

PSP sells to a younger demographic than owns iPhones. A sizeable % of PSP & PSP Go owners do not have credit cards that they would use to purchase DD games. There would need to be some correlation with voucher card sales.

chubigans said:
You oughta see if Sony will share some numbers with you jvm, or some percentage at the very least.
Also, didn't the NPD say they were going to start reporting on digital distribution numbers? Anyone know when/if that is going to start?

confused said:
Out of curiosity, what are some of the other games ?
Motorstorm: Arctic Edge, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Hot Shots Gold: Open Tee 2, Patapon 2, Twisted Metal: Head On, Secret Agent Clank, NBA 10: The Inside
NBA wouldn't be counted this month, so I'm trying to remember the other one...Daxter maybe?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
AniHawk said:

i won't shit on lightgun games, but i also don't really think they're all that fun, and won't go buy one just because we're in the midst of some sort of revival. and you won't taunt me into doing so by connecting them erroneously to my beloved 2d platformers, you bastid

2 Minutes Turkish said:

I think no psp at all is better for Sony.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dragona Akehi said:
Well as mentioned: credit cards. We don't have numbers, but if they were significant, we'd have heard what a success they were.
Sony is pretty coy about their DD numbers. Plus I doubt Sony wants to trumpet big DD sales of Gran Turismo when retailers aren't even selling their first stock shipment.

...just sayin'.

Tobor

Dragona Akehi said:
If it was anything significant, we'd have had a PR by now celebrating it. Also, we have points cards and vouchers because the vast majority of gamers (ie kids) don't have access to credit cards.

Accusing people of piracy because they use CFW/Homebrew/etc is a bad thing. 'Specially when that includes the administration staff.
Didn't we already have a press release saying PSN downloads were way up after the Go launch?

beast786

Dragona Akehi said:

Why would you get a PSPgo which is download Only and not have Credit card/gift card. Again, makes no sense.

Dragona Akehi said:

I doubt parents will be buying their kids the more expensive PSP GO that is download only system.

Dragona Akehi said:

Aye, I see.

Somnid

Yikes at Soul Caliber, Gran Turismo, and Motorstorm. I hate to say it but it looks like PSP might be on it's way out if a lineup like that can bomb that hard. PSP Go also seems to be nothing but hurting preception (even though I like the idea). I seriously hope for Sony's sake that PSN sales are doing well.

Too bad for Dead Space, I hear it was actually pretty good. Luckily Muramasa posted some decent numbers. Hopefully that was in line with publisher expectations. I'm part of the problem, I sorely want it but can't afford to buy new games right now.

BigNastyCurve said:
Add a touch screen and another analogue nub and then get back to me.

Sure, go ahead and do that. I'm sure it will sell like gangbusters!! It has nothing to do with the PSP not having a clear identity to its target market. And considering Sony just launched the Go at $250, I'm sure they could add that analog stick and touch screen and offer it at the SUPER ENTICING price of only $350!

What's funny is that even if it did sell... people still won't buy software for it. The hardware features are not the problem for the PSP.

Opiate

chubigans said:

I think we understand this, but you're really stretching it if you believe this it is reasonable to conclude that is a substantive portion of the sales.

When you have 99% of the data and it all points to the same conclusion, you can insist that the other 1% would tell a completely different story, but reason and logic should dictate that isn't likely to be the case.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, it depends on how you define "hardcore". I see two RPGs and a puzzle/platform/adventure/watchamacallit at or over 200k in their first months on DS. Those are hardcore games to me, but I think you have a different idea in mind.

While KH has obvious casual appeal I really wouldn't call Scribble anything other than hardcore.

TheFatOne

WretchedTruman said:
Nickodamus
Banned
Reply | Quote

What'd this guy do?

Side note: I was just informed that my local Gamestop's midnight launch for Modern Warfare has over 300 customers confirmed. And those are just the people who pre ordered the game and have walked in assuring their presence on November 11th. The number could be 400+ before the launch.

Jesus God.

When I picked up Uncharted 2 I asked the Gamestop employee how many pre orders they had for MW2 and he said 600+ and growing. That game is going to sell crazy numbers.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, it depends on how you define "hardcore" I see two RPGs and a puzzle/platform/adventure/watchamacallit at or over 200k in their first months on DS. Those are hardcore games to me, but I think you have a different idea in mind.

Yeah I know what your getting at and I agree, I was thinking that myself but I just find it hard to see any game on the DS as Hardcore even though there are hardcore titles on it, perhaps it's a perception thing, and I do enjoy RPG's on my DS but they do feel more like hand-held games to me as opposed to a console game on a hand-held system like many games on the PSP feel like.

The PSP to me feels like a mini console, the DS feels like a handheld if you get my meaning.

birdchili

Amir0x said:
it doesn't have an ending?

it also hangs up in the middle of levels periodically, which is something i shouldn't have to put up with.

i like it, but it's a high price per hour of entertainment, with no unlockables (that i can see, anyway) in the cutscene-free score-attack mode (how many time are you going to actually play through that unskippable story really?).

Top Bottom