• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

paolo11

ok I used the following parameters...

So you are ok consuming 3000 calories on workout days and 2500 during rest. The second image has your macronutrient ratios. Try to stick as close to them. I would further recommend to reduce carbs on rest days and substitute them for fats. Good carb sources are potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, beans. They have some protein too, so it helps meet your requirements. Things that are mainly sugar are not good carb sources and should be treated as cheat meals not as part of a regular diet.

I don't know if crossfit will make you muscular, but it will for sure make you lean if your diet is on point because it is a tough workout. You can discuss that in the fitness thread.

Nice. Thanks although I am actually 31 years of age. Does the same thing apply?

Bowser

This is indeed a very true statement here in which I tell everyone who says they should stick to one particular regimen.My previous post was for what I did, which helped me as I saw the results I wanted. Yes, what may work for me may not work for others, but bodybuilding and burning fat is a pretty simple process if you really think about it.

One just has to be disciplined and focused.

Sorry, didn't mean to get uppity/snippy. I totally agree with your conclusion. It is pretty simple to get in shape...actually doing it, well, that's another story ;)

GatorBait

Anyone have any good recommendations for healthy items to order on a cutting diet while traveling?

When traveling, I've gotten in the habit of just having a protein bar for breakfast to keep my calories low and get some early protein intake.

For (quick) lunches, I've found:
  • Chipotle - can add veggies and salsa to add nutritional value. Can double up on the protein, keep complex carbs, and easy to control calorie intake.
  • Panera Bread - Can order one of their salads to control calorie intake and take double up on the protein.
  • Panda Express - Beef and broccoli and/or chicken and mushroom with a side of steamed veggies has good protein, veggies, and keeps the calories down, but obviously a sodium bomb.
Dinner is a little easier as I can just order any of my lunch go-tos, or grab something like sushi, or order protein + veggies at just about any sit down restaurant.

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone have any good recommendations for healthy items to order on a cutting diet while traveling?

When traveling, I've gotten in the habit of just having a protein bar for breakfast to keep my calories low and get some early protein intake.

• Chipotle - can add veggies and salsa to add nutritional value. Can double up on the protein, keep complex carbs, and easy to control calorie intake.
  • Panera Bread - Can order one of their salads to control calorie intake and take double up on the protein.
  • Panda Express - Beef and broccoli and/or chicken and mushroom with a side of steamed veggies has good protein, veggies, and keeps the calories down, but obviously a sodium bomb.
Dinner is a little easier as I can just order any of my lunch go-tos, or grab something like sushi, or order protein + veggies at just about any sit down restaurant.

Longhorn steakhouse (if you have one)...can get a nice 6oz filet with a side of broccoli...a little on the pricier side, but their steaks are legit.

I see you mentioned Panera already, their Thai chicken salad is the bomb.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"

YES. Check out this article...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne-norton-peak-week-water-sodium.html

The IF calc website will give you a proposed intake that you can vary, but I think the default is set to calculate 1g per lb of protein and then allocate the remaining calories 50/50 between carbs and fat. I don't really use their intake breakdown thing, just the first part to calculate maintenance calories/TDEE.
Gotcha, thanks.

Welp, my schedule is set.

Chipotle is my go to for some quick and filling calorie dump. Make sure you order double meat for dat extra protein gainz

Schlep

5'8.5"
163 lbs

no answer to my question ... :/

e:

M: Light Weights + HIIT (3 min warmup 3 min cooldown)
T: HIIT (3 min warmup 3 min cooldown)
W: Light Weights + HIIT (3 min warmup 3 min cooldown)
Thurs: Rest
Fri: Light Weights + HIIT (3 min warmup 3 min cooldown)
Sat: Rest
Sun: Rest
Male or female? If you're male, and at that weight, you should concentrate more on lifting heavy than losing weight unless you have a very small frame. The problem with continuing to lose weight when you're so light already is you're on your way (if not already there) to being 'skinny fat'. Building muscle will do more to reshape your body at that point than losing additional weight.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say light weights, but I would personally drop the HIIT and concentrate on lifting. If you really like doing the HIIT, cut it down to once or twice a week on a day where you don't lift.

APF

Sprints/Hill sprints where you go all out for 30 sec, rest for a minute, and repeat 8-10 times? Definitely don't do that 4x a week, especially if you're combining that with 3 days a week of heavy weights involving your legs like squats, deadlift, etc.

Most of the research on interval training was done with higher frequencies. I'd say if you're doing it less than 3x a week don't bother, because you're not going to really get any real benefit from the work--you'll detrain in the meantime and only end up hurting your recovery from strength training.

Yeah Chipotle is honestly the best

I would say just avoiding carbs is an easy way to control while going out.

Almost every place (restaurant) has some sort of light(er) chicken dish and then toss in some veggies and you're normally good (i.e. <750 cals or so)

Hardest thing to control will be the sodium most times.

How does your diet look know?

Are you paleo, low carb, standard american diet, vegan, etc.? Do you want to lose fat or optimize performance?

Well, I guess it's a moderately low carb diet... Usually the only carb I eat is rice (as a side dish), I avoid refined sugar in every form, and I've let go of pasta years ago (I never really cared much for it, even though it's by far the most prominent staple food among my fellow nationals).
I have a weekly cheat meal that is usually pizza, but I reside in Italy, so I don't know how much different it is from what is commonly referred to as 'pizza' in the English-speaking countries (around here it looks like this - I'm guessing ~900 kcals, and a highly glycemic meal at that).
The rest is greens and meat, respectively on a 2:1 proportion (roughly). Meat being poultry>bovine>pork. A fruit (depending on season) and a couple of walnuts daily. Blue fish and hard cheese occasionally (once or twice a week). Not many fats otherwise (olive oil and butter I use rarely).
Two meals per day, and I tend to rely mostly on satiety.
Beer when I go out.

I've never measured, but from the look of it, I'm in between 10 and 15% body fat. That said, I'd be more oriented on optimizing performance (gearing prevalently toward long-distance feats).
23 y.o., 185 cm x 72 kg (6' x 158 lbs).

CrankyJay

Banned
ok I used the following parameters...

So you are ok consuming 3000 calories on workout days and 2500 during rest. The second image has your macronutrient ratios. Try to stick as close to them. I would further recommend to reduce carbs on rest days and substitute them for fats. Good carb sources are potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, beans. They have some protein too, so it helps meet your requirements. Things that are mainly sugar are not good carb sources and should be treated as cheat meals not as part of a regular diet.

I don't know if crossfit will make you muscular, but it will for sure make you lean if your diet is on point because it is a tough workout. You can discuss that in the fitness thread.

Not to nitpick, but there is a negligible difference in macronutrients between white and brown rice. I say choose your color based on the dish or texture/taste preference.

http://www.rxmuscle.com/articles/nutrition/10541-good-rice-bad-rice-brown-vs-white.html

grumble

Most of the research on interval training was done with higher frequencies. I'd say if you're doing it less than 3x a week don't bother, because you're not going to really get any real benefit from the work--you'll detrain in the meantime and only end up hurting your recovery from strength training.

Disagree; some cardio beats none.

Male or female? If you're male, and at that weight, you should concentrate more on lifting heavy than losing weight unless you have a very small frame. The problem with continuing to lose weight when you're so light already is you're on your way (if not already there) to being 'skinny fat'. Building muscle will do more to reshape your body at that point than losing additional weight.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say light weights, but I would personally drop the HIIT and concentrate on lifting. If you really like doing the HIIT, cut it down to once or twice a week on a day where you don't lift.

Thanks for the advice. I'm male. I'm probably on my way to being skinny fat, but I still feel like I have more weight to lose before I even get to that point. Honestly I'm not terribly concerned with being skinny fat before I start to lift heavier. When I say light weights I mean 15 - 30lb dumbbells, which are only temporary until I can do Starting Strength in September. I was just planning on doing that makeshift routine for the rest of August as a way to kind of warm me up for the real deal.

My goal weight before building muscle is around 150 - 155 btw.

Also, I think I need to cut down on my fat intake. My carb intake has been pretty consistently under 75g (around 35 today), but my fat intake was closer to 100g. Protein was around 150g. Anyone have any food recommendations that are relatively low in fat and carbs? Is there a way I can link you guys to my My Fitness Pal diary so you can see what I've been eating?

started a ketogenic diet 2 weeks ago, trying to stay < 30g carbs, generally shooting for 120/30/75g of fat/carb/protein. lost 4 pounds in the first week but that was probably water weight related to the glycogen lost.

i'm only trying to lose about 8 pounds to get myself back down to the weight i was at when i finished college. i'd like to be able to eat carbs again after i lose that but i'm not really sure what ratios i should shoot for to keep that weight off. i mean i'd prefer not to do this diet forever to keep that weight. any advice for what i should do after i hit my goal? (other than just moderation)

Bowser

started a ketogenic diet 2 weeks ago, trying to stay < 30g carbs, generally shooting for 120/30/75g of fat/carb/protein. lost 4 pounds in the first week but that was probably water weight related to the glycogen lost.

i'm only trying to lose about 8 pounds to get myself back down to the weight i was at when i finished college. i'd like to be able to eat carbs again after i lose that but i'm not really sure what ratios i should shoot for to keep that weight off. i mean i'd prefer not to do this diet forever to keep that weight. any advice for what i should do after i hit my goal? (other than just moderation)

If you're only trying to lose 8 pounds, you really don't need to do a keto diet (especially if you have no aspirations of keeping it up long term). Just keep your carb intake reasonable (depending on how active you are that could be as low as 50-75g or as high as 175-200g), get 1g/lb of protein, and fill out the rest with fat. You should calculate your maintenance calories, eat at a moderate deficit to that (10% is a good start), add a bit of exercise (I prefer weight training but you can do HIIT, cardio, sports, or some combo of all) and you should be able to drop the weight in 4-8 weeks depending on how diligent you are, how much of a deficit you run, and how much exercise you add.

entremet

Well, I guess it's a moderately low carb diet... Usually the only carb I eat is rice (as a side dish), I avoid refined sugar in every form, and I've let go of pasta years ago (I never really cared much for it, even though it's by far the most prominent staple food among my fellow nationals).
I have a weekly cheat meal that is usually pizza, but I reside in Italy, so I don't know how much different it is from what is commonly referred to as 'pizza' in the English-speaking countries (around here it looks like this - I'm guessing ~900 kcals, and a highly glycemic meal at that).
The rest is greens and meat, respectively on a 2:1 proportion (roughly). Meat being poultry>bovine>pork. A fruit (depending on season) and a couple of walnuts daily. Blue fish and hard cheese occasionally (once or twice a week). Not many fats otherwise (olive oil and butter I use rarely).
Two meals per day, and I tend to rely mostly on satiety.
Beer when I go out.

I've never measured, but from the look of it, I'm in between 10 and 15% body fat. That said, I'd be more oriented on optimizing performance (gearing prevalently toward long-distance feats).
23 y.o., 185 cm x 72 kg (6' x 158 lbs).

You may want to up your fats--saturated/mono. Limit polyunsaturated outside of Omega 3.
Polyunsaturated fats are found in seed oils--soybean, cottonseed, rapeseed, etc. These are oils that are found all over fast foods and convenience foods and they tend promote inflammation.

Saturated and mono saturated fats found in animal fats, olive oil, avocado, coconut oil and milk are energy dense without having the inflammation response of polyunsaturated.

Since your low carb, these fats will provide you with more energy for your runs. These fats are also naturally satiating, so it's hard to overdo them. Let your natural hunger be your guide and add them to your meals instead of eating alone.

So adding avocado to your salads, doing coconut milk curries, eating fattier cuts of meat, poultry, pork, eating whole eggs with yolks instead of whites only. Don't be afraid of fats if you're lower carb and are active. They're excellent fuels.

A lot of research is showing that the classic carboloading advice of endurance athletes can be very deleterious to health later on in life.

If you're only trying to lose 8 pounds, you really don't need to do a keto diet (especially if you have no aspirations of keeping it up long term). Just keep your carb intake reasonable (depending on how active you are that could be as low as 50-75g or as high as 175-200g), get 1g/lb of protein, and fill out the rest with fat. You should calculate your maintenance calories, eat at a moderate deficit to that (10% is a good start), add a bit of exercise (I prefer weight training but you can do HIIT, cardio, sports, or some combo of all) and you should be able to drop the weight in 4-8 weeks depending on how diligent you are, how much of a deficit you run, and how much exercise you add.
i upped my exercise from 3 to 4 gym days per week (weights + cardio). just weighed myself at the gym and actually my weight is the same as last week despite being very consistent w/ my fat/carb/prot distribution, at around a 20-25% calorie deficit (~1500/day)...i'm assuming this is a gain in muscle. i do feel like i've lost some fat bc i think i've lost about 0.5" from my waistline.

so i guess when i hit my goal it seems like 50-75g carbs per day is probably a pretty good place to be to maintain the weight, i guess i'll find out in a few weeks then.

Bowser

i upped my exercise from 3 to 4 gym days per week (weights + cardio). just weighed myself at the gym and actually my weight is the same as last week despite being very consistent w/ my fat/carb/prot distribution, at around a 20-25% calorie deficit (~1500/day)...i'm assuming this is a gain in muscle. i do feel like i've lost some fat bc i think i've lost about 0.5" from my waistline.

so i guess when i hit my goal it seems like 50-75g carbs per day is probably a pretty good place to be to maintain the weight, i guess i'll find out in a few weeks then.

I've learned not to be a slave to the scale. I prefer the mirror and measurements. The scale is very finicky and doesn't really tell you anything about body composition.

Bowser

I'm still fighting this.

Case in point, I was doing an ultra low carb, low fat, high protein mini-diet for 11 days that ended Thursday. Weighed in at 130.5 Friday morning. Doing a high calorie, high carb refeed this weekend that started yesterday. Weighed in at 138 this morning lol. No way I put on 8 solid pounds of actual fat or muscle in 24 hours. It's just water weight and doesn't mean anything.

CrankyJay

Banned
Case in point, I was doing an ultra low carb, low fat, high protein mini-diet for 11 days that ended Thursday. Weighed in at 130.5 Friday morning. Doing a high calorie, high carb refeed this weekend that started yesterday. Weighed in at 138 this morning lol. No way I put on 8 solid pounds of actual fat or muscle in 24 hours. It's just water weight and doesn't mean anything.

I hear that. But it still fucks with your head.

So does waking up lean and cut looking one morning and a bloated mess the next.

Schlep

Thanks for the advice. I'm male. I'm probably on my way to being skinny fat, but I still feel like I have more weight to lose before I even get to that point. Honestly I'm not terribly concerned with being skinny fat before I start to lift heavier. When I say light weights I mean 15 - 30lb dumbbells, which are only temporary until I can do Starting Strength in September. I was just planning on doing that makeshift routine for the rest of August as a way to kind of warm me up for the real deal.

So long as you've got a plan. I made the mistake of doing just cardio when I was 21 or so. Got me down to 170 (also 5'8", just larger frame) and I was feeling pretty good outside of no definition. Later realized that losing that 40 pounds I also sacrificed a decent amount of muscle, as my metabolism has been lower ever since. Just now starting to build it back up.

So long as you've got a plan. I made the mistake of doing just cardio when I was 21 or so. Got me down to 170 (also 5'8", just larger frame) and I was feeling pretty good outside of no definition. Later realized that losing that 40 pounds I also sacrificed a decent amount of muscle, as my metabolism has been lower ever since. Just now starting to build it back up.

I actually don't think I've lost too much muscle, mostly because I didn't really have any before. My only basis for this is that whatever strength I had hasn't seemed to have been lowered, so I have no idea if I'm right. Once again, thanks for the advice.

I should get around to posting pics in the fitness thread to see if I should just focus on building muscle instead of losing more fat. I'll probably do that next week.

Week 1 diet was extremely on point.

Carbs were lower than targeted. Going with 40/30/30.

Feeling good. Keep it up for another 29 weeks.

o_O

I'll come back here for real advice for some point in the future, but for now -- what's the most efficient way to lose the most amount of weight in five days?

Save the cajoling, please. Is pure caloric restriction the way to go? Ketosis? Straight fasting?

Schlep

Low carb will help you drop a few pounds of water weight in five days. Not much else is gonna happen in that period of time.

Bowser

I'll come back here for real advice for some point in the future, but for now -- what's the most efficient way to lose the most amount of weight in five days?

Save the cajoling, please. Is pure caloric restriction the way to go? Ketosis? Straight fasting?

Low carb, low fat, high protein diet.

Get used to eating only egg whites, cottage cheese, lean meats, veggies, and protein powder for 5 days.

Read this: http://www.files.failedmiserably.com/data/aironz/The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook.pdf

But consider that the body is 75% water. Even muscles and fat deposits have water. When you you put muscle on, you are actually putting water. So you are getting swole my bro. Swole and fat.

I'm messing with you.

Bowser

But consider that the body is 75% water. Even muscles and fat deposits have water. When you you put muscle on, you are actually putting water. So you are getting swole my bro. Swole and fat.

I'm messing with you.

lol. I did lose a lot of midsection definition after this refeed weekend. Made me :(

jts

...hate me...
Today I tried making some protein cookies. Vanilla whey, banana, honey, peanut butter, vanilla extract, oats, egg, baking soda, choc chips.

Left them for too long in the oven! My ingredients and proportions were custom but the cooking time was based on a recipe, instead of checking regularly for doneness. Huge mistake.

Even slightly more brown than they should have been, I still ate them with milk :D tasted not bad. It's a nice and healthy indulgence for someone on a strict diet. It's not anywhere near the real stuff, but it shouldn't need to be and I'm happy to feel at the moment that it doesn't really matter. It only matters that it fulfils a purpose.

Meanwhile, 17 days going strong.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I've seen BMR and TDEE thrown around a lot but I don't know what the numbers actually mean and how they play into my daily caloric intake.

I used the calculator on this site: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
My BMR is: 1985
My TDEE is: 2730

What do I do with either of these numbers? Try to eat under the BMR?

EDIT: I see this was briefly talked about above. So I need to eat 100-200 calories below 1985?

Bowser

I've seen BMR and TDEE thrown around a lot but I don't know what the numbers actually mean and how they play into my daily caloric intake.

I used the calculator on this site: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
My BMR is: 1985
My TDEE is: 2730

What do I do with either of these numbers? Try to eat under the BMR?

BMR is the minimum caloric requirement needed to sustain life in a resting individual. It's how many calories you burn if you just laid in bed all day and did nothing. You can eat at a deficit to that, but you won't last very long, you'll be sluggish, no energy to do anything etc. TDEE is the amount of calories your body needs to function in a day. This is quite similar to BMR, but your TDEE accounts for your average daily activity as well to give a figure closer to your specific situation (provided you are correctly calculating TDEE). A lot of people will put an activity multiplier for their TDEE - I prefer to just use the TDEE value that the Sedentary multiplier spits out (i.e. working a desk job for 8-10 hours a day) as most multipliers tend to overestimate the caloric burn of exercise.

If you want to lose weight/fat, you should eat at a deficit to your TDEE (depending on how much you want to lose/how overweight you are, deficits can range from 10-25%, generally not recommended to go over 25%).

Entropia

No One Remembers
BMR is the minimum caloric requirement needed to sustain life in a resting individual. It's how many calories you burn if you just laid in bed all day and did nothing. You can eat at a deficit to that, but you won't last very long, you'll be sluggish, no energy to do anything etc. TDEE is the amount of calories your body needs to function in a day. This is quite similar to BMR, but your TDEE accounts for your average daily activity as well to give a figure closer to your specific situation (provided you are correctly calculating TDEE). A lot of people will put an activity multiplier for their TDEE - I prefer to just use the TDEE value that the Sedentary multiplier spits out (i.e. working a desk job for 8-10 hours a day) as most multipliers tend to overestimate the caloric burn of exercise.

If you want to lose weight/fat, you should eat at a deficit to your TDEE (depending on how much you want to lose/how overweight you are, deficits can range from 10-25%, generally not recommended to go over 25%).

Perfect. Thanks!

Azulsky

Should I drop the scale for a couple of weeks?

The only thing I can think of to explain it is that it is hottt at work right now and I usually drink a gallon of water during the day and more when I come home.

Should still be losing a just fine my TDEE is ~3k and my intake is usually 1300kCal with minimal carbs(veggies).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Should I drop the scale for a couple of weeks?

The only thing I can think of to explain it is that it is hottt at work right now and I usually drink a gallon of water during the day and more when I come home.

Should still be losing a just fine my TDEE is ~3k and my intake is usually 1300kCal with minimal carbs(veggies).

*sigh* calories...

Anyway, you should probably drop the scale, or at least not care too much about it if you are below obese level. There will be many days where your weight stays exactly the same or even fluctuates up and down a bit. Stop caring about that nonsense and look at the mirror instead.

Check your weight every week or so if you must.

Azulsky

Yeah im not at a point where weight loss is really equating to mirror progress.

Not sure if related but scale progress has slowed since i started doing more exercise. I either do daily 3-4 miles or a HIIT session on indoor bike depending on weather and how my knees feel.

Scale progress is about the only metric I have (clothes are already baggy).

My calorie rebuttal is only to say that my diet is the same with the same macros.

Im not sweating it too much I might just take a month off from the scale.

jts

...hate me...
For me, the scale is an invaluable tool.

I can't really track my daily change with the mirror. Even on a weekly basis it's hard to tell. Hell, after I started losing some weight recently, my brother asked me "aren't you gaining some weight?". It was actually just a matter of new haircut and the shirt I was wearing didn't help. Or it was just his perception.

Maybe it would help if I took pictures, but alas.

I weigh myself religiously everyday after waking up and draining whatever fluids, naked. My scale also measures bf which is unreliable as hell, but over long sets of data you will notice the trend as well.

I need numerical references to stay focused and grounded.

Top Bottom