• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

I find it virtually impossible to overeat when I cram a ton of fat into my breakfast.

I've been eating a 3 large egg omelette, covered in cheese, with mushrooms and spinach usually, heavy cream in the coffee, mixed in with a tablespoon of coconut oil, and some lunch meats on the side, usually roast beef or pastrami. I also try to eat 1 Persian cucumber every morning.

That coconut oil gets me RIDICULOUSLY energized in the morning, and it's definitely helped regulate my wife's bowl movements.

When I eat a lot of fats, it just gives me the runs.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
So I've been trying to eat healthier this past month and have been following my fitness pal to count my calories. Already dropped 4kg so I'm pretty chuffed. It's surprisingly easy to keep up with too. Switched cows milk for almond, cut down potatoes for leafy veggies and started making a mean beef salad for work meals. This thread is also quite helpful. Let's get fit, gaf :D

Azulsky

So I've been trying to eat healthier this past month and have been following my fitness pal to count my calories. Already dropped 4kg so I'm pretty chuffed. It's surprisingly easy to keep up with too. Switched cows milk for almond, cut down potatoes for leafy veggies and started making a mean beef salad for work meals. This thread is also quite helpful. Let's get fit, gaf :D

Great work for a month! Add me on MFP, the more the merrier. I have the same username there. Everyone else is welcome too as well.

Need some opinion/guidance.

Current status:

Current intake: ~1300kCal/day

Macros(avg over last 90 days): 130g Protein | 100g Carbs | 40g Fat

TDEE ~3k assuming sedentary activity level

Losing between 2.5 and 3 pounds per week

I am not really sure how much more I need to lose to hit a normal body fat % as I dont know my current % but I would guesstimate I could lose 70 lbs.

I have been thinking about ditching the 1500kCal target to jump up to 2000kCal and start exercising more. I feel more lethargic and drained lately and I think I have just burned off all the easy fat these past few months. I was able to do it a few months ago but now feel like I am running a bit on an empty tank. I have been fortunate that I have preserved some muscle but I think that era is drying up with the constant hunger.

Im not too sure how to rebalance macros as I have been doing lowish carbs(mostly vegetables), but would likely be adding them back in because I am eating more than enough protein(120-150g) and fat seems to be harder to get than I originally planned without drinking heavy cream and putting butter on all my veggies. This is coinciding with me wanting to go to the gym several(hopefully most) days of the week so I feel like the calorie increase will even out and the carb boosting would help out with energy.

I guess my options for adding back carbs is basically starting to eat oats, sweet potatoes, and lentils.

Most of my exercise is cardio until I get an all clear from the Orthopedist regarding my knee. Once I do I will take up strength training.

Sadetar

Erythritol is mostly harmless, it has almost zero calories and doesn't have the same pronounced laxative effects as other polyol sweeteners like xylitol which I use because of the potential benefits for oral hygiene.
Ah, good to hear. I really like it since the texture is about the same as with normal sugar and I really need the "crunch" sometimes. :D

Even though I also use xylitol because of oral hygiene as well. :p In Finland nearly everyone eats xylitol pastills or xylitol gum on daily basis.

Dre

Anyone here eat organ meats? Any benefit of eating it?

The organs are the most nutritious part of an animal, so if you need a good source of vitamin A, B vitamins, copper, iron or Q10 you might want to implement them into your diet.
They're also relatively cheap because most people don't want to eat them. Check your sources when buying liver though as that is where animals store the most toxins/antibiotics.

Guys, I keep not having time at night to cook lunch, so I've been going to chipotle and getting their salad with chicken, veggies, and mild salsa.

What are other good fast food options that can be healthy/filling?

Guys, I keep not having time at night to cook lunch, so I've been going to chipotle and getting their salad with chicken, veggies, and mild salsa.

I feel that pain. Try cooking something up/prepping something on Sunday for the week. Whatever is healthy, just make sure there are 5 servings of it. Put that shit in containers that you can just grab and go in the morning.

I've played around with my chili recipe and managed to get it to 47% protein, 24% carbs and 28% fat. One "batch" makes 8 or 9 2 cup servings, so I'm covered for the week. I try to eat it about 1.5 hours pre-workout, and I can even fit a few extra carbs in if I want to crush a piece of bread or something.

2 cups of lean meat and beans will leave you full, I promise. It's not terrible for you, and probably best if you're trying to gain, but it is better balanced than most stuff you end up having to buy.

I also hit Chipotle when I forget to grab my container for lunch :)

Do you have a microwave in work?
Yup
I feel that pain. Try cooking something up/prepping something on Sunday for the week. Whatever is healthy, just make sure there are 5 servings of it. Put that shit in containers that you can just grab and go in the morning.

I've played around with my chili recipe and managed to get it to 47% protein, 24% carbs and 28% fat. One "batch" makes 8 or 9 2 cup servings, so I'm covered for the week. I try to eat it about 1.5 hours pre-workout, and I can even fit a few extra carbs in if I want to crush a piece of bread or something.

2 cups of lean meat and beans will leave you full, I promise. It's not terrible for you, and probably best if you're trying to gain, but it is better balanced than most stuff you end up having to buy.

I also hit Chipotle when I forget to grab my container for lunch :)

Please share the recipe :)

Also I get paranoid that my food goes bad after like three days. I'm sure its just me being silly tho.

Make a big batch of something, freeze it in portions, take it into work, microwave, job done.

I tend to do it with chillies, curries, stews and random other meaty dishes.

The organs are the most nutritious part of an animal, so if you need a good source of vitamin A, B vitamins, copper, iron or Q10 you might want to implement them into your diet.
They're also relatively cheap because most people don't want to eat them. Check your sources when buying liver though as that is where animals store the most toxins/antibiotics.
I am just taking desiccated beef liver pills arm from green pastures. They can from Argentina cattle feeding on grass. Seems good so far

I've had success eating Paleo or Primal-style in the past, but I have been traveling around Asia for most of this year. Any tips on staying low-cal when I'm eating out for 99% of my meals and there is rice with almost everything? I'm going to Tokyo on Tuesday, so we can start there!

On the other end of the spectrum but I have just been eating more and more trying to put on mass. Burgers, pizza, ramen, etc.

Give it to me all baby.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

ILoveBish

Haven't read the full article, but I'm already surprised to see I don't disagree with a single one of the major points! Rare these days. Good stuff, but even just looking at the comments (I know, I know), you see the usual nonsense of "goddamn advice changing all the time! I just won't listen anymore!"

Why?!

Sadetar

I read it through. Like said in here before, finally an article that I can actually agree with. That doesn't happen too often. :D

Also made me think that I definitely need to check my diet. It is somewhat fine, but after Christmas I definitely need to clean it a bit and go back on cutting. This maintaining is fine and all, but won't get me where I want to be.

Fistwell

Reading that and thinking about my own experience re-learning to eat food over the past 10 months or so... can't help but be amazed at the extent of the general public's misconceptions on food (not to mention amazed at how much crap I've eaten over the years). You'd think we'd be more mindful about what we ingest every single day. Instead most of the population blindly puts their faith in what can only be described as propaganda from the food industry. With little regard for their own experience or critical thinking. Resulting in "common wisdom" being batshit backwards futtbuck crazy.

Just looking carefully at what I eat and how adjustments have impacted my weight and general health, I've learned more in a few months than I had in the rest of my life.

In fairness to average Joe, up until very recently it's not just the food industry that's been telling us this sort of thing, but doctors and the medical profession in general too.

Some of us might, but you can't blame most people for actively choosing to ignore what their doctors are telling them.

Fistwell

In fairness to average Joe, up until very recently it's not just the food industry that's been telling us this sort of thing, but doctors and the medical profession in general too.

Some of us might, but you can't blame most people for actively choosing to ignore what their doctors are telling them.
Yeah that's a fair point. Didnt see solid reasons to question that stuff until recently myself.

What really strikes me though is the gulf between general beliefs on one side versus what I've observed on myself and think I'm starting to grasp. I don't really blame people buying into the propaganda, I'm more in awe of how completely wrong the propaganda seems to be.

Sadetar

Oh my gods. I got a blender from my little sister on Christmas and I have been doing smoothies on daily basis after that. I didn't know that green, supposedly healthy, smoothies can be that delicious!

Anybody else here into that kind of things and if so, please share your favourite recipes! :p

If somebody wants I can also through in the one I have liked the most this far.

RayMaker

Banned
Oh my gods. I got a blender from my little sister on Christmas and I have been doing smoothies on daily basis after that. I didn't know that green, supposedly healthy, smoothies can be that delicious!

Anybody else here into that kind of things and if so, please share your favourite recipes! :p

If somebody wants I can also through in the one I have liked the most this far.

I make smoothies
sometimes,

I like peanut butter, 1 banana, and some milk

or blueberry's, yogurt , some ice a banana, some honey and a little water if to thick.

I had oats to my smoothie if I want more of a meal, there ideal for breakfast.

I also juice as-well
my favs

orange,carrot and ginger juice

and this

1 apple,1 carrot,1 stick of celery,an inch cube of beetroot,1/2 inch cube some ginger, about 1/4 of a lemon and an 1 inch of cucumber, this is still very nice the apples and lemons flavout very well. and its great after a night of drinking.

GodofWine

Cook up a few chicken breasts or a dozen tenderloins, and keep chopped broccoli in the fridge. Put some of each in a container with a little teriyaki sauce or hoison with a drizzle of evoo. When heating at work, add a tiny bit of water, by time it heats up, the brocolli is al dente.

Results are reliant on consistency.

Wendy's however is OK if you get chili and a baked potato, put the chili over the potato. Cheap and decent.

Sadetar

I make smoothies
sometimes,

I like peanut butter, 1 banana, and some milk

or blueberry's, yogurt , some ice a banana, some honey and a little water if to thick.

I had oats to my smoothie if I want more of a meal, there ideal for breakfast.

I also juice as-well
my favs

orange,carrot and ginger juice

and this

1 apple,1 carrot,1 stick of celery,an inch cube of beetroot,1/2 inch cube some ginger, about 1/4 of a lemon and an 1 inch of cucumber, this is still very nice the apples and lemons flavout very well. and its great after a night of drinking.
Thank you so much!

I made a rip off from the last one you posted today (didn't have beetroot, added some kale, quark, chia seeds and camu camu powder instead) and it ended up being extremely delicious combination! Saved some for breakfast tomorrow so I will have it before heading to work. :D

If anybody has any other awesome recipes they are highly appreciated! ^_^

Azulsky

Forgive me, but I never understood the point of the green smoothies?

Most of them involve raw Spinach, but from what I have read, most of the micronutrients are unavailable until it is cooked. So what you getting out of it then is added plant fiber?

On the home front, I am trying to replace my milk+protein breakfast drink with real food, but having issues coming up with something that fits the calorie bill without being overloaded on protein. I've only become wary of the protein amount in it being too high (50g) recently, and except for what is in the milk there aren't many micro-nutrients in it.

What are some good options that I can prepare the night before or very quickly the morning of. I'm kinda leaning towards trying one of these egg cupcakes options or just some type of oatmeal concoction.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Really great read, and something I am paying more attention to. Over the last 6 months I've been working out, and very recently I've started to become more conscious of what I eat.

I was, at my worst, 6 foot, 210lb, but not muscular. Now, I'm down to 185lb, and significantly more muscular. It's been luck mostly though, as I haven't been paying a lot of attention to what I'm doing, although my personal trainer has been guiding me. Mostly, eat fewer calories at first, no sugar treats and avoid bread/pasta. Now she's telling me to start upping my protein significantly, but still try not to have too many calories. It's tough, mostly because I don't know what my goals really are.

I think I'm near the lowest weight I want to be, but I still have a bit of fat I wouldn't mind losing maybe 5-10lb. But I also don't want to waste all the weight training I'm doing by not having enough calories to "bulk". What I've found myself doing is just becoming a carnivore, essentially. If I go out to eat, it's either steak or grilled meat with greens on the side. If I'm eating at home, it's usually chicken with a green. I don't mind it, I enjoy what I'm eating and it's worked pretty well for me so far, I just want to maximize my effort here I guess, get the most bang for my buck.

RayMaker

Banned
Forgive me, but I never understood the point of the green smoothies?

Most of them involve raw Spinach, but from what I have read, most of the micronutrients are unavailable until it is cooked. So what you getting out of it then is added plant fiber?

On the home front, I am trying to replace my milk+protein breakfast drink with real food, but having issues coming up with something that fits the calorie bill without being overloaded on protein. I've only become wary of the protein amount in it being too high (50g) recently, and except for what is in the milk there aren't many micro-nutrients in it.

What are some good options that I can prepare the night before or very quickly the morning of. I'm kinda leaning towards trying one of these egg cupcakes options or just some type of oatmeal concoction.

when any fruit or veg is cooked it looses nutrients because by cooking it your extracting its water content which contain a lot of the nutrients.

when any fruit or veg is cooked it looses nutrients because by cooking it your extracting its water content which contain a lot of the nutrients.

That's not entirely true. Some foods increase in "available" nutritional content because until they're cooked our body isn't able to break down the structure to get at the vitamins / phytonutrients etc.

Azulsky

That loss depends on the method of cooking. I have read that with Spinach cooking in olive oil is preferable because of the released Lutein, which is fat soluble. Otherwise steaming tends to be the preferred method, with boiling being the one most likely to do what you are saying.

Certain nutrients like Vitamin C tend to oxidize easily but that is so extremely common in all foods that its not worth worry about.

On the other hand rarer nutrients like Potassium quadruple from cooking Spinach, to nearly 900mg per cup.

My limited understanding of the cooking effect on plant sourced nutrition is that generally its worth it. I'm sure vegans have done much more thorough research.

I don't actually know how you are supposed to eat nearly 5g(4700mg) of potassium a day to meet the recommended daily intake(Institute of Medicine). I just try to eat potassium rich foods because I used to eat bananas before i developed an intolerance, so I tried to replace.

Servbot24

Banned
Looooove smoothies. I usually do grapes + pineapple + spinach + yogurt + banana. Which is an incredible amount of sugar but fuck it, I don't have any other sugar in my diet.

I've been trying to figure this out on my own for a while and failing, mainly because of some frustrating personal factors

1) I'm lazy. Cooking on my own and especially packing for work is an incredibly difficult thing for me to bring myself to do
2) I hate way too much food. Finding healthy options to eat is a struggle when I just hate everything. I don't like fruit...any fruit. Tomatoes and peppers are also out. Fortunately I also hate a few things like Ranch and Mayo.
3) I can't drink water. Seriously, it tastes awful to me.
4) I drink copious amounts of sweetened iced tea due to caffeine addiction. Used to be Mountain Dew, so that was even worse.
5) I eat really fast. I think this had to do with growing up poor and there being little food at dinner, so whoever finished eating first got seconds. It was a race and it hasn't worn off. Due to eating fast I seem to have no concept of being full until well after I've eaten what should be my fill.
6) If I buy food, I eat it. This is just a total control problem. I can buy the healthiest of snack options, but if its in my house I'll eat so much of it that quantity outweighs any benefit.

I've been lucky for quite some time, but I've noticed my luck start to run out as I am now 5'9" and 185 lbs and slowly climbing.

I'm going to start by trying to goto the salad bar at work everyday instead of grabbing pizza or gyros around town. Hopefully figure out cooking dinner soon. I don't generally eat breakfast, but I can toss some eggs on the salad to get some protein.

I made some turkey burgers lately, as bland as they are I can eat em. However for a bun I haven't tried a lettuce wrap, but if I can't stomach that what type of bun should I go for?

The first part of this cracked article explains my taste issue pretty well
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-stupidest-habits-you-develop-growing-up-poor/

Anjelus_

Any tips for getting more fiber in my diet? I've been eating vegetable heavy meals lately, with hummus and some wheat bread / wheat naan for variety, but it's hard for me to really get more than 25g/fiber a day, since it's not like I consume more than 2 - 3 (small) slices of bread in a given day (I don't buy into the "whole wheat is great for you, eat crap tons of it!" propaganda). The vegetables help, but I'm already eating a lot (50 to 75 percent of the plate) and I'd have to eat a LOT MORE to get the fiber up.

I guess I could get more beans? But I'm honestly a bit sick of beans and would like other sources. That's why I got bread in the first place. I hadn't had bread in -months- and have taken to eating a slice here and there drizzled with olive oil, Mediterranean style.

I actually cut all fructose from my diet quite a while ago. But yesterday I got sick and while I was buying Tylenol at Walgreens I picked up two pints of Ben & Jerry's that were on sale. It's a one-time only thing, but I don't feel bad about it at all.

Anjelus_

Looooove smoothies. I usually do grapes + pineapple + spinach + yogurt + banana. Which is an incredible amount of sugar but fuck it, I don't have any other sugar in my diet.

You could add some protein powder to balance it out a bit more. Or, honestly, eat the pineapple and banana whole so you don't lose their fiber content, don't have grapes, and just have spinach + yogurt. My understanding of grapes is that they have very very little fiber and are thus not all that great for you as far as fruit goes.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
please tell me how to up my protein intake practically if i hate eggs to death and back. :(

Biff

Hey everyone - do you have any recommendations on a healthy lunch blog/website with recipes you can prepare the night before work, such that the meal is not a soggy mess the next day?

Ideally this would be simple as well. I work long hours during the week, so I, like many of us, am looking for minimal prep time.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Milk and lean meats. Have you tried eggs in all forms?
yeah i hate anything that is an actual egg. however i can toss a raw one in a protein shake no issues.
what kind of milk is good milk, whole half or 0% ?

Top Bottom