• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Meticulously using the scale is fine, but only if you can make sure you won't get discouraged by it.

This is especially true for people who follow calorie formulas, because they tend to think they have some kind of scientific formula that *should* produce X amount of weight loss in Y amount of time, despite that never being the case.

Bowser

I weigh myself usually once a week just to make sure there aren't any wild swings (e.g. if the scale swings 5+ pounds in either direction for no apparent reason (like I'm not doing low carb or high carb, etc)), but I use measurements and the mirror more.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Subbed. Ever since I graduated (May), I've been trying to get back in shape (gained 20 kg over the course of 5 years) but it's ridiculously hard to when my family constantly buy sweets and other delicacies. :S

Fistwell

For me, the scale is an invaluable tool.

I can't really track my daily change with the mirror. Even on a weekly basis it's hard to tell.

I weigh myself religiously everyday after waking up and draining whatever fluids, naked.

I need numerical references to stay focused and grounded.
That's pretty much me as well, I weigh myself every morning. I used to not give a crap and I didn't even have a scale. After I started losing some weight, at some point I had no idea whether I was still making progress or not. Now I monitor it everyday and I get a much better read into where I'm at. There are occasional bumps and spikes, but trends over a few days have seemed to make perfect sense so far (in light of what I eat and how much I exercise).

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone looking to eat more broccoli, oven roasted broccoli with olive oil and salt + pepper is the bomb...optional, add some minced garlic to it

Wiktor

How much sugar should you be consuming each day if you're trying to lose weight?

Ideally less than 20g, which is guaranteed to kick you into ketosis. If you are on a diet and still want sugars then put them all into the post workout meal.

Also...Ramsay's broccoli soup. It's ridiculousy simple and people might thing "huh...this can't be good", but it's the goat cheese that turns this thing into sublime meal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KR44a_5v_A
I don't go a week without at least doing it once

God, I would love a good kitchen, mine is just so cramped...

I do broccoli once a week too, but I usually steam them. Never understood why so many people can't stand them, I find them quite delicious.

Thanks, yes, avocado is some pretty badass fruit. Sadly, it's not always easy to find where I live, and oftentimes isn't even ripe.

Wiktor

I do broccoli once a week too, but I usually steam them. Never understood why so many people can't stand them, I find them quite delicious.

Their mothers overcooked it. In most cases that's why people hate them, especially if as adults they repeat the same mistake.

Another mistake is not putting butter on them. :)

Cagey

Banned
Week 4 of...

2 scoops, 8oz 2% milk
8oz fish, brown rice, spinach, nuts
8oz fish, brown rice, spinach
Banana (pre-workout)
8oz chicken, brown rice, broccoli rabe, peppers
2 scoops, 8oz 2% milk

I'm not about this cutting life.

woodchuck

Currently 140lbs. The calculator states I should eat about 2400 calories. Skinny-Fat. Looking to bulk up. This is currently my diet. I'm currently in residency so my work hours are a bit irregular than most. I know I might have too much wheat bread in there but I'm having a tough time getting to my calorie goal without sandwhiches. They are easy and convenient to eat at work. Any tips, suggestions? I also didn't include the veggies that I eat with the chicken/quinoa.

9pqYaQJ.png

ILoveBish

Just finished working on my new meal plan, i eat the exact same food every single day, to make things easy and cheaper (i buy in bulk). Here is what i'm going with next:

2084 calories a day, 17g net carbs, 131g of fat, 174g of protein. Basically works out to 1lb of chicken a day, 1lb of spinach a day, home made alfredo sauce that is low carb, 1 scoop of whey, and lots of heavy cream for my coffee.

CrankyJay

Banned
Weird question time...

Does anyone else find that eating dairy hampers their cuts? I've done cuts with and without cheese/milk at a caloric deficit and it seems the cut with dairy just fucks things up.

ILoveBish

Weird question time...

Does anyone else find that eating dairy hampers their cuts? I've done cuts with and without cheese/milk at a caloric deficit and it seems the cut with dairy just fucks things up.

I've read this many times. I personally haven't tried it myself, but many who stall cut out dairy and they're back on track. Would be a last thing possible for me myself.

jts

...hate me...
I'm discovering Quark cheese. Holy crap. 27.5gr protein per cup, 59 euro cents only.

It's incredibly filling, albeit a bit tasteless. I can totally manage though.

Now off to find some recipes with it.

grumble

Week 4 of...

2 scoops, 8oz 2% milk
8oz fish, brown rice, spinach, nuts
8oz fish, brown rice, spinach
Banana (pre-workout)
8oz chicken, brown rice, broccoli rabe, peppers
2 scoops, 8oz 2% milk

I'm not about this cutting life.

You don't have to eat like that if to don't want to. I knew that bland food is common in these bodybuilding cutting diets, but you really only have to keep the calories low and the protein high. If you do that eating tacos and ice cream (in moderation) then that's fine. No need to make it any harder than it has to be!

ChryZ

I'm discovering Quark cheese. Holy crap. 27.5gr protein per cup, 59 euro cents only.

It's incredibly filling, albeit a bit tasteless. I can totally manage though.

Now off to find some recipes with it.
Just add some vanilla flavored whey, half a cup of water, chopped up fruit or berries ... and a few table spoons of crunchy cereal, post workout food of the gods.

sphinx

the piano man
it took me a while but I made it here,

thanks a lot ILoveBish :D

I need some help or suggestions.

I train regularly, weight lifting mostly, in the hopes of attaining more muscle mass with the least fat possible. In a certain way I think I'll be an enternal bulker, since I've taken almost two freaking years to gain around 20 pounds, from which around half is muscle, supposedly, according to a machine that measures that stuff.

anyway, can you people suggest some healthy breakfast options that:

.- do not involve eggs
.- taste good and
.- fit well in the path I am trying to follow (to put it simple, "clean bulk" stuff)

thanks a lot!!!

grumble

it took me a while but I made it here,

thanks a lot ILoveBish :D

I need some help or suggestions.

I train regularly, weight lifting mostly, in the hopes of attaining more muscle mass with the least fat possible. In a certain way I think I'll be an enternal bulker, since I've taken almost two freaking years to gain around 20 pounds, from which around half is muscle, supposedly, according to a machine that measures that stuff.

anyway, can you people suggest some healthy breakfast options that:

.- do not involve eggs
.- taste good and
.- fit well in the path I am trying to follow (to put it simple, "clean bulk" stuff)

thanks a lot!!!

Protein shake, ground beef, cut up peppers and cheese, Greek yogurt and berries, cream cheese and smoked salmon on an open faced sandwich. Four decent options, including two low carb if you want to make the shake without milk or go easy on the peppers with the fried up beef and cheese.

Decado

Sorry for the bump, but this seems like the newest thread on this topic and I didn't see the point of creating a new one.

Can this work you're looking at 40 or 50 grams of carbs a day? I'm 6'3" and in my mid-30's.

I love beer and really can't see myself on a diet where I literally can't have a beer. 1 a day with a couple on Saturday will do me. I suspect the beer I drink is higher in carbs, mind you. Still, I can be fairly strict otherwise.

Link1110

This has been my diet lately. I'm a man 108.8kg and 183cm

Sandwich. 1 egg yolk and 4 egg whites with some Bak choy

Shake. Spirutein with 300g nonfat milk and 200g coffee.
On days off it changes to shake with 500g nonfat milk and a banana

2-3 pieces of fruit. Usually some combination of peaches and oranges

How's it look?

Also I try to walk 3-5km a day.

Azulsky

Sorry for the bump, but this seems like the newest thread on this topic and I didn't see the point of creating a new one.

Can this work you're looking at 40 or 50 grams of carbs a day? I'm 6'3" and in my mid-30's.

I love beer and really can't see myself on a diet where I literally can't have a beer. 1 a day with a couple on Saturday will do me. I suspect the beer I drink is higher in carbs, mind you. Still, I can be fairly strict otherwise.

Beers are on a pretty broad calorie range.

Maybe stick to something on the lighter side, like Guinness(seriously) during the week and save the quadruples for special occasions.

Dre

How's it look?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but your diet seems to be lacking enough fat and any kind of vegetables, that doesn't look too healthy in the long run.

Besides don't throw the yolk away, it's the best and most nutritious part of the egg.

How's it look?

Why so low?

I know processed meat isn't the best for you but grabbing some turkey from the store is an awesome snack.

Thoughts? Replacements?

Hi,

My schedule's changed a lot recently and I've had some difficiluties around lunch, usually I'd do it at home but that's not an option anymore... So I'm trying to have a big and protein rich fatty breakfast (half avocado, chicken breasts, eggs, some nuts, milk and maybe a bit of cheese), and then I almost totally skip lunch. Then at 5 pm circa I work out, and at supper I eat carbs and again some proteins along with 80% of my veggies.

Do you think this is OK? I've being doing it for a week now, and I haven't found any empirical faults yet.

CrankyJay

Banned
Hi,

My schedule's changed a lot recently and I've had some difficiluties around lunch, usually I'd do it at home but that's not an option anymore... So I'm trying to have a big and protein rich fatty breakfast (half avocado, chicken breasts, eggs, some nuts, milk and maybe a bit of cheese), and then I almost totally skip lunch. Then at 5 pm circa I work out, and at supper I eat carbs and again some proteins along with 80% of my veggies.

Do you think this is OK? I've being doing it for a week now, and I haven't found any empirical faults yet.

As long as you aren't starving in between breakfast and your dinner, you're okay in my book.

Hi,

I do this often on the weekends because I love breakfast and will make huge high calorie meals on Saturdays and Sundays but I don't skip lunch altogether. I usually make it something small, an apple and cottage cheese, something very filling but low calorie.

Cagey

Banned
What are some thoughts on the calorie intake to aim for on a cut? I don't lose bodyfat easily, but there's always the fear of starving oneself and losing all dat muscle (i.e. neurosis and body dysmorphia).

At 205 currently, taking in ~2100 calories. Thinking of upping it to 2300.

Can anyone point me in the direction of high protein recipes that might work well for cooking in large batches and freezing / reheating. I'm pretty good for chillies and curries (my specialities) but I'm a bit concerned that I'm getting bored with them and I'd like to add a few more things to my repertoire.

I've had a look through the sites in the OP, but none of them seem to have any sections that could help me out, and reading through all of the recipes is probably going to take a shitload of time.

Hopefully someone has a few suggestions. Thanks.

Fireblend

Banned
What's the consensus on sucralose/splenda? Is it safe to use as a replacement for sugar? I'm talking about using a teaspoon a day (so I can sweeten my fruit shake), nothing excessive.

Have you tried Sugar in the Raw, or a Stevia derivative? They both come in boxes of individual packets, so that is a choice. Plus, they are both natural.

ILoveBish

What's the consensus on sucralose/splenda? Is it safe to use as a replacement for sugar? I'm talking about using a teaspoon a day (so I can sweeten my fruit shake), nothing excessive.

Sucralose is fine, i use it in the powder and liquid version. Also use liquid stevia and also just got some stevia powder from trader joes. I haven't used that yet.

I find it virtually impossible to overeat when I cram a ton of fat into my breakfast.

I've been eating a 3 large egg omelette, covered in cheese, with mushrooms and spinach usually, heavy cream in the coffee, mixed in with a tablespoon of coconut oil, and some lunch meats on the side, usually roast beef or pastrami. I also try to eat 1 Persian cucumber every morning.

That coconut oil gets me RIDICULOUSLY energized in the morning, and it's definitely helped regulate my wife's bowl movements.

Dre

Saved for later! <3

And talking about sweetening things, what do you think about liquid stevia and erythritol? I eat around 10 drops of liquid stevia in a day and numerous tea spoons of erythritol. I have no idea do they have any long term health effects. So far so good, but should I lower the intake?

Erythritol is mostly harmless, it has almost zero calories and doesn't have the same pronounced laxative effects as other polyol sweeteners like xylitol which I use because of the potential benefits for oral hygiene.

Top Bottom