• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

This card is going to stay supreme for the rest of the year, right? I'm building in December and I assume there won't be another high-end nvidia card announced between now and then

Well its possible that 390x will outperform it, we don't know. Also if you wait until December Pascal won't be far away.

dmr87

Ah man this might be my first reference card....

Should I wait for non-reference versions?? It's already in my cart T_T

The reference cooler is pretty decent. But I'll be waiting for custom cards myself.

So does this have 6gb ram straight up or is it going to be 5.5 + 0.5gb?

6GB, no shenanigans.

finally looks like we have 970 levels of price:performance at the high end. 980 has to drop significantly in price - in the UK there is only around £100 difference between the 980 and the ti and that is a no-brainer. So hopefully at least a £50 price drop on the 980. 970 was already well priced so it might stay where it is.

The 980 already got a price drop to $499.

Haint

It does matter. Nvidia already completely own the market in general. Dude they have a 76% market share. AMD at this point is being totally driven out of the market.

This move and price was made for ONE reason. To continue Nvidia's market share, anyone thinking anything else are mistaken. Nvidia doesn't just mark down price on their new cards for the hell of it. The move was made to take the thunder from the 300 series announcement.

This isn't GPU warz its facts. We have the graph and we can see the trends. The 980ti as we have it and at the price it is was designed to counter the 300 series announcement.

What percentage of the entire dGPU market do you think the $650+ brackets actually represents? I don't know if they've ever release sales numbers, but I have to imagine it's less than 5%.

What percentage of the entire dGPU market do you think the $650+ brackets actually represents? I don't know if they've ever release sales numbers, but I have to imagine it's less than 5%.

Not big.

But releasing high end GPU's for good prices isn't just about sales numbers. Its about mind share. Nvidia is just getting nothing but good will from this, and its announcement is overshadowing the impending 300 series announcement.

I don't think Nvidia believe the 980ti will outsell the entire 300 series. What I think they believe is this announcement will generate more positive mind share than they already have and can deal a blow to the 300 series announcement.

You don't get to an absurd 76% market share by luck. This was a planned move to counter AMD.

x3sphere

From the Anandtech review:

74792.png

As for texel and pixel fillrates, the results are both as-expected and a bit surprising. On the expected side, we see the GTX 980 Ti trail GTX Titan X by a bit, again taking a hit from the SMM loss. On the other hand we’re seeing a larger than expected drop in the pixel fill rates. GTX 980 Ti loses some rasterization throughput from the SMM loss, but a 15% drop in this test is much larger than 2 SMMs. Just to be sure we checked to make sure the ROP/MC configuration of GTX 980 Ti was unchanged at 96 ROPs, so we’re at a bit of a loss to explain the difference at this time. Though in either case, despite what 3DMark is telling us, we aren’t seeing any signs of GTX 980 Ti struggling at 4K versus GTX Titan X. So if there is a meaningful difference in pixel fillrates, it’s not impacting game performance.

It looks like the card has a full 6GB and ROPs are the same so wonder why the difference over the Titan X. Like Anandtech say it doesn't add up, but then again isn't affecting game performance.

CyrusUrus

Neo Member
It does matter. Nvidia already completely own the market in general. Dude they have a 76% market share. AMD at this point is being totally driven out of the market.

This move and price was made for ONE reason. To continue Nvidia's market share, anyone thinking anything else are mistaken. Nvidia doesn't just mark down price on their new cards for the hell of it. The move was made to take the thunder from the 300 series announcement.

This isn't GPU warz its facts. We have the graph and we can see the trends. The 980ti as we have it and at the price it is was designed to counter the 300 series announcement.

nVidia taking more of the high end share wont make that huge of a dent overall. If AMD wants to make a comeback they have to completely outclass nVidia in the 200$-400$ range. They cant continue the trend where they have parity for 6 months and are outclassed for 6 months which has happened for the last few years. There where long periods where AMD had nothing to compete with the *60/*70 cards and its happening right now with the 970.

nVidia taking more of the high end share wont make that huge of a dent overall. If AMD wants to make a comeback they have to completely outclass nVidia in the 200$-400$ range. They cant continue the trend where they have parity for 6 months and are outclassed for 6 months which has happened for the last few years.

Again I think some of you are missing the point I'm making.

I'm not saying 980ti will have a sales impact on the 300 series because of the number of units it will sell. What I think it does, is grows their mindshare with consumers and also overshadows the 300 series announcement a bit, especially the 390X unless that thing is monstrous powerful and decently cheaper than the 980ti. Consumers have proven that if cards are around the same power point they still go for Nvidia even if AMD is cheaper.

390X needs to be both more powerful than the 980ti and cheaper if it hopes to make any impact.

nib95

Banned
Have no intention of buying one, but I'm happy about that price.

I know I've been out of the PC game for a while, but people are happy about a £550 single GPU? I assume then, similar cards of late have been equally or higher priced?

Arkanius

AMD were absolute clowns.
They probably have a good card in their hands, have been teasing it to hell and back. We even got news that Nvidia was going to steal their thunder with the 980 Ti
Guess what?

They still managed to get blindsided by Nvidia.

I know I've been out of the PC game for a while, but people are happy about a £550 single GPU? I assume then, similar cards of late have been equally or higher priced?

Yes. The closest card bracket you can compare this to, and the card its replacing is the 780ti. That launched at $700.

Yeah, Ive never owned a Gigabyte card and I'm superstitious. :(

I've bought GB for my last like 3, all turned out great.

However I don't want the stock stock version. It says Overclocked in the title, but no specifications, and the packaging itself does not mention that it's an OC edition.

nib95

Banned
Yes. The closest card bracket you can compare this to, and the card its replacing is the 780ti. That launched at $700.

Sheesh. Do we know the price of AMD's competing GPU? Presumably Nvidia lowered the price here to stay competitive and counteract whatever AMD was coming with?

Banned
Come on you Canadian gpu retailer bastards. Put the evga super clocked one on sale. I demand it.

From the Anandtech review:

74792.png

It looks like the card has a full 6GB and ROPs are the same so wonder why the difference over the Titan X. Like Anandtech say it doesn't add up, but then again isn't affecting game performance.

What will we name this. ROP-Gate?

Rival

Gold Member
I'll add two of these to my want list, but I'm going to stick with sli 970's until the next go around. Fantastic price for performance though. Damn.

Fuck it

I just bought the Amazon one, with the middle shipping option. Usually it gets to me several days before the due date anyway.

909 AUD shipped from Amazon.

I've bought GB for my last like 3, all turned out great.

However I don't want the stock stock version. It says Overclocked in the title, but no specifications, and the packaging itself does not mention that it's an OC edition.
What makes the OC version so special? Can't you manually oc the regular version?

nib95

Banned
What makes the OC version so special? Can't you manually oc the regular version?

From memory, the OC versions are copies that have often factory tested better than the one's that go in to regular stock SKU's. They could theoretically have better OC potential, though realistically that is not always the case.

b0uncyfr0

Lol why are you guys buying reference versions when the AIB's will be SOOO much better? I dont get impulse buying :(

finalflame

Lol why are you guys buying reference versions when the AIB's will be SOOO much better? I dont get impulse buying :(

The reference cooler is significantly better if you plan on SLing the cards.

Also, if you're going to be watercooling them anyways (my case), who gives a fuck?

knitoe

From memory, the OC versions are copies that have often factory tested better than the one's that go in to regular stock SKU's. They could theoretically have better OC potential, though realistically that is not always the case.

Nah. They are usually just slight OC, and supposedly, have been test, but we have seen sametimes the OC aren't 100% stable and have cause crashes in certain games. Generally, you can easy OC to those speeds yourself. So, unless there is hardly any difference in price, just get the stock ones.

Top Bottom