• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Grassy

Fuck it

I just bought the Amazon one, with the middle shipping option. Usually it gets to me several days before the due date anyway.

909 AUD shipped from Amazon.

So I'm guessing if you want to go SLI you'd just do two separate orders so you keep each one under the $1000 threshold? Not a huge saving but tempting.

I don't know. I don't overclock in SLI though so the brand doesnt matter too much to me.

Also,Is this power supply good enough for 980TI SLI? It's the one I'm using now.

It's recommended at minimum to have an 850w PSU.

IronRinn

On the one hand I am tempted to get one of these and sell off my two 970s.

On the other hand I haven't forgotten what happened with the 970. May wait a bit.

finalflame

Wouldn't you want the best performers, if you're on water? I assume you overclock though.

For me overclocking is only part of why I watercool, the other part is just to have an overall quieter system. Also because I like the way it looks :)

I suppose for people looking for the best binned chips, it would be worth it to get the Classified versions and whatnot. My experience in overclocking though has not shown SC/OC versions of cards to be significantly better overclockers than their reference counterparts, even though they come factory overclocked. Just anecdotal though.

Classified is a different story, but those are significantly more expensive.

Kuro

Are we getting those 14nm cards from Nvidia next year? Might hold off for that since I still just game on a 1080p monitor.

Sulik2

The fact that $650 seems reasonable is crazy too me. But this card should last me another 2-3 years based on current trends and at 1920 x 1200 so I am probably in for one.

Jimrpg

Do you think there will be much performance difference between the reference version and the hydro copper, classified versions we've seen in the leaked photos?

I was going to upgrade through Evga's step up program from my 970 but being that I play at 1080p and I'm looking at an almost $300 price difference I think I'm just going to wait for the next generation of cards.

I can't find the Asus Strix edition

459947_sad-kid-deception-pouting-deceiving.gif

Interesting - I wondered why power usage was identical and its due to them using it to speed clocks

The far more interesting story here is GTX 980 Ti’s clockspeeds. As we have pointed out time and time again, GTX 980 Ti’s gaming performance trails GTX Titan X by just a few percent, this despite the fact that GTX 980 Ti is down by 2 SMMs and is clocked identically. On paper there is a 9% performance difference that in the real world we’re not seeing. So what’s going on?

The answer to that is that what GTX 980 Ti lacks in SMMs it’s making up in clockspeeds. The card’s average clockspeeds are frequently two or more bins ahead of GTX Titan X, topping out at a 64MHz advantage under Crysis 3. All of this comes despite the fact that GTX 980 Ti has a lower maximum boost clock than GTX Titan X, topping out one bin lower at 1202MHz to GTX Titan X’s 1215MHz.

Ultimately the higher clockspeeds are a result of the increased power and thermal headroom the GTX 980 Ti picks up from having two SMMs disabled. With those units no longer consuming power or generating heat, and yet the TDP staying at 250W, GTX 980 Ti can spend its power savings to boost just a bit higher. This in turn compresses the performance gap between the two cards (despite what the specs say), which coupled with the fact that performance doesn't scale lineraly with SMM count or clockspeed (you rarely lose the full theoretical performance amount when shedding frequency or functional units) leads to the GTX 980 Ti trailing the GTX Titan X by an average of just 3%.

bodine1231

So I'm guessing if you want to go SLI you'd just do two separate orders so you keep each one under the $1000 threshold? Not a huge saving but tempting.

Dammit,ok thanks. Whats the best $100ish 850w+ power supply?

From memory, the OC versions are copies that have often factory tested better than the one's that go in to regular stock SKU's. They could theoretically have better OC potential, though realistically that is not always the case.

Nah. They are usually just slight OC, and supposedly, have been test, but we have seen sametimes the OC aren't 100% stable and have cause crashes in certain games. Generally, you can easy OC to those speeds yourself. So, unless there is hardly any difference in price, just get the stock ones.
I see. So does ASUS generally release oc versions? I wonder when they will release information.

Feels good man.

What makes the OC version so special? Can't you manually oc the regular version?

I guess I will OC this one, although usually I don't bother since the OC versions are so similarly priced and I'm using a small form factor case. I plan to branch out into a larger case when Skylake hits - assuming it's not a major disappointment (it probably will be).

I suppose so. But I don't know exactly how the taxes / import stuff works.

DBT85

Not sure I'm completely positive about that statement.

I'd be surprised if they have one for under £575 and wouldn't at all be shocked at £600.

Been hovering over a 290x Vapor on Amazon for two weeks, only £270. Just waiting on the 3xx series of cards to get announced so I can see what effect it has.

Head.spawn

Im not into the whole PC movement mind you but why are people saying this is a "game ending move" by nvidia?

As far as I can see, AMD can become a partner with Sony/MS and wipe Nvidia out in the future.

AMD/ATI technologu is in Gamecube, Wii, 360, Wii U, Xbox One and PS4.

If that console GPU money was going do change anything, it certainly would have already I would think.

Somebody stop me from ordering two of these. I have two 970's an a 1440p monitor. Anyone?????

Don't do it. I'm upgrading from a single 970 on a 1080p G-sync panel so its even stupider for me. Don't let me be your role model. Wait for Pascal X70 next year and reap the fruits of your patience. The overwhelming temptation will pass.

Vitor711

Step up program from the 980 I bought 2 weeks ago it is then. Gaming at 1080 for now but I'm sure I'll get a 1440 monitor next anyway.

It's only a $100 difference (and another $50 or so for the shipping I guess).

Rival

Gold Member
Don't do it. I'm upgrading from a single 970 on a 1080p G-sync panel so its even stupider for me. Don't let me be your role model. Wait for Pascal X70 next year and reap the fruits of your patience. The overwhelming temptation will pass.

Well, if it helps, I never understood people spending that much on such a small incremental upgrade.

But then again, I've been getting by on a 560 Ti until now.

Not going to do it. Deleted from my Amazon cart. I need to go for a walk. Lol

Well, if it helps, I never understood people spending that much on such a small incremental upgrade.

But then again, I've been getting by on a 560 Ti until now.

I'm still on a Radeon 6950, from about the same timeframe. Starting to feel slow though.

Top Bottom