• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Don't do it. I'm upgrading from a single 970 on a 1080p G-sync panel so its even stupider for me. Don't let me be your role model. Wait for Pascal X70 next year and reap the fruits of your patience. The overwhelming temptation will pass.

Is this good advice or not? I don't know anymore :(

Thanks. I was trying to find that article earlier since Amazon didn't post any detailed specs. Not sure why it says "overclocked" for the gigabyte one in the Amazon title.

Maybe when the card arrives and it's stock speeds we can talk to amazon support about their misleading product listing

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Is this good advice or not? I don't know anymore :(

Waiting is always the correct answer unless your card is inadequate for games you are playing now or in the near future. A 970, any variant, is adequate for any game coming out between now and Pascal. You may not be able to max every setting. If you can't handle that prospect, then by every means stay cutting edge - but there is a serious premium for doing so and the 970 will still make your games look absolutely tits in the meantime.

webkid94

maybe not the right thread but when is the Pascal nvidia GPUs going to be released/announced? The temptation to jump from team red (r9 270) to team green (x70 or x80) is painful.

ZOONAMI

Dammit I'm tempted to byte (had to) on the gigabyte on Amazon - I remember the 980 launch and everything being sold out forever, and then all the prices were inflated when they were finally available.

Maybe when the card arrives and it's stock speeds we can talk to amazon support about their misleading product listing

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Waiting is always the correct answer unless your card is inadequate for games you are playing now or in the near future. A 970, any variant, is adequate for any game coming out between now and Pascal. You may not be able to max every setting. If you can't handle that prospect, then by every means stay cutting edge - but there is a serious premium for doing so and the 970 will still make your games look absolutely tits in the meantime.
Would Amazon realistically do anything about it though? Probably just tell you to return it for a full refund...

maybe not the right thread but when is the Pascal nvidia GPUs going to be released/announced? The temptation to jump from team red (r9 270) to team green (x70 or x80) is painful.

If you're on a 270, this card would be a major boost. If you're budget conscious, somebody's used 970 (there will be quite a few flooding the market soon as always when a new card comes out) would give you double your current performance in some games. If you're feeling the burn for a better card, this could tide you over until big Pascal in 2 years time, or little Pascal next year if that's your style.

As to your general question, we have no idea when Pascal will hit or be announced. It will be 2016, but it could be Q2, or Q3, or Q4, it all depends on when the technology is ready and how fast AMD moves on their own range of cards.

Would Amazon realistically do anything about it though? Probably just tell you to return it for a full refund...

Maybe, but there's no real risk in talking to them about it. They gave me a partial refund on my 970 twice, second for the mem fiasco, the first one was because I just asked if they would be retroactively honouring the Ubisoft game deal to people who purchased their cards before it was out. I told them in the E-mail that I wasn't technically eligable for it, but they still gave me some money back anyway. It's lunacy, but what the hell, not gonna complain.

Dmax3901

So $999 in Australia huh, I want it bad, but I just can't justify buying one PC component for the price of two PS4s.

Imagine you're given the one of the following, no questions asked, for you to take. $650 or a 980ti. If you choose the 980ti, that means it's more valuable to you. If you're on the fence chances are you're okay spending $700 on a GPU. No sense in waiting, there's ALWAYS something on the horizon. The same people saying wait now will probably be singing the same tune once Pascal hits and Volta is around the corner.

How is that even possible? It doesn't make any sense.

Well some parts of Titan X are cut down in the 980 Ti (like compute) and some arent (like memory bandwidth)

Higher resolutions may put more % of time in equal aspects of the 2 GPU's versus disparate parts. Or another way of thinking is that lower resolution has better balance of GPU usage so all elements are used efficiently.

The biggest difference in specs between the two flagship cards is the Titan X has 3,072 CUDA cores (shader processors), and the GTX 980 Ti has 2,816. The 980 Ti’s clock speeds, memory speed, and memory bus width remain exactly the same as the Titan X, so naturally the two cards have the exact same memory bandwidth specification of 336.5GB/s

Wallach

Don't do it. I'm upgrading from a single 970 on a 1080p G-sync panel so its even stupider for me. Don't let me be your role model. Wait for Pascal X70 next year and reap the fruits of your patience. The overwhelming temptation will pass.

I would probably both say what you are saying and do what you are doing. If I see a DirectCUII version of this card...

If you're on a 270, this card would be a major boost. If you're budget conscious, somebody's used 970 (there will be quite a few flooding the market soon as always when a new card comes out) would give you double your current performance in some games. If you're feeling the burn for a better card, this could tide you over until big Pascal in 2 years time, or little Pascal next year if that's your style.

As to your general question, we have no idea when Pascal will hit or be announced. It will be 2016, but it could be Q2, or Q3, or Q4, it all depends on when the technology is ready and how fast AMD moves on their own range of cards.

Maybe, but there's no real risk in talking to them about it. They gave me a partial refund on my 970 twice, second for the mem fiasco, the first one was because I just asked if they would be retroactively honouring the Ubisoft game deal to people who purchased their cards before it was out. I told them in the E-mail that I wasn't technically eligable for it, but they still gave me some money back anyway. It's lunacy, but what the hell, not gonna complain.
I like the cut of your jib. I'll give it a whirl. All else fails I can send it back for a full refund. Amazon does refund the tax too, right?

GHG

Ok I'm getting one. And it's only just one for now purely because my 750w PSU might not be able to handle 2.

I'll get another in a few months.

Are there any that come with a factory overclock of around 1400mhz boost?

FLAguy954

I'm done with GDDR5, HBM or bust for my next card (which will most likely be AMD's fiji depending on the price).

Yep, going to get this when it's available. My GTX 570 is long in the tooth and its time to move on.

Its already available from NVidia direct

People may end up finding better cooling/OC vendors though in time. Perhaps an oil edition:

g1-1280x1024.jpg

CHC

It's a better price than I expected but I think I'll try not to get hyped and just wait for the next gen (Pascal). I'm on a 780 and it's not a beast anymore by any means, but she still gets the job done well enough for a plebeian like me.

It's a better price than I expected but I think I'll try not to get hyped and just wait for the next gen (Pascal). I'm on a 780 and it's not a beast anymore by any means, but she still gets the job done well enough for a plebeian like me.

It also depends on the games

I went Titan X and love it, but most of the games I love really dont needs its performance (due to being developed with limitations for consoles for example)

Games like borderlands 2 and Presequel, mass effect series, dead space, bioshock infinite, deus ex, new vegas/FO3, dark souls 1/2

Witcher 3 looks great but really thats about it right now that really uses its power. I played skyrim so much before this I dont think I could go back and play it with the cool looking mods

I also was surprised that dragon age really didnt look that much better than the PS4 edition

I'd love bloodborne on PC though - PS4 verwsion sucked last time I played it load time wise (and framerate wasnt great)

Keep in mind there is no guarantee launch Pascal cards will greatly outperform the 980ti. More than likely they will launch with the mid range cards and it may not be till "Big Pascal" that we see them significantly outperform the 980ti.

There's also a chance that the launch Pascals are stronger, but don't assume they will for sure. They may not even have 6GB of VRAM

FLAguy954

Nvidia probably said fuck it, we are not gonna wait, release this thing at $650, cause AMD are sloooooooooooooow with their releases!

Trust me when I say it is not AMD's fault.

GlobalFoundries is having more trouble than they thought with HBM (which delays a release and is also inevitable with a new tech).

You also have to consider that the 980ti is a card based on a complete architecture (Maxwell - 2014) with an aging and easy-to-release memory (GDDR5).

CHC

I will say that, like many others, this price point does make me very curious to see what AMD brings to the table. Rumors pegged the 390x at ~$800 but that doesn't seem very believable anymore.

God damn

Currently sitting here thinking about where to go next with my GTX 770 2GB. Not sure if I should go for a 970 (they're still like $400 CAD), the 980TI, or wait it out for the next GPU line

Very tempted to upgrade from my 680 but I am waiting for pascal personally. This price point is awesome so hopefully they continue this pricing with their next cards. I really don't want to drop $650 on this only to upgrade in a year or two and have to sell it.

God damn

Currently sitting here thinking about where to go next with my GTX 770 2GB. Not sure if I should go for a 970 (they're still like $400 CAD), the 980TI, or wait it out for the next GPU line

Sort of the same for me. It's kind of silly because the 970 was cheaper last fall than it is now due to the dollar (at least the Gigabyte G1 I was looking at). If I buy one now then it means I should have bought last fall. The 980 Ti will assuredly be north of $800, which is too high for me. And the 980 is just not a good value proposition.

Really want to go team green (for a variety of reasons) but the dollar is kind of messing things up, dunno what to do.

I think it's time to start saving for a new card. 670 won't last forever. It does pretty well on witcher at 1080p/30 though.

We are only just getting started with the high end current gen development though with The Witcher 3 and Batman this year.

Sort of the same for me. It's kind of silly because the 970 was cheaper last fall than it is now due to the dollar (at least the Gigabyte G1 I was looking at). If I buy one now then it means I should have bought last fall. The 980 Ti will assuredly be north of $800, which is too high for me. And the 980 is just not a good value proposition.

Really want to go team green (for a variety of reasons) but the dollar is kind of messing things up, dunno what to do.

Yeah at this point with the CAD the way it is now I think waiting it out for the '970' of the next GPU line might be a better option now. Unless the CAD gets better in the next 6 months
(it won't).

I guess I should upgrade my monitor and upgrade to 16GB from 8GB of RAM before I start looking at a new GPU. Hell I probably won't even be able to get the next line until Feb-Mar of 2016.

Top Bottom