• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Probably Davidion, asian NYC gaffer who doesn't post as much anymore.

Davidion

I have decidedly less hair than that and am not nearly pretty enough for real pics.

(Literally decided to open this thread randomly for the first time in ages)

Haly

I have decidedly less hair than that and am not nearly pretty enough for real pics.

(Literally decided to open this thread randomly for the first time in ages)

David! :OOO

Jhoan

Here's a question that's on my mind on and off for a few weeks. Would anyone be interested in possibly paying a visit to Grave Robber X out in Queens some time in early March? I have an idea for something that I want to do during the next meetup that will directly tie into this visit.

Basically, it would be a piece of Bristol paper that everyone who attends would fill out and add their piece to it; a nice gesture if you will of showing solidarity while he recovers. This would then be delivered in person at a later point. I'll pitch it in the meetup thread.

Here's a question that's on my mind on and off for a few weeks. Would anyone be interested in possibly paying a visit to Grave Robber X out in Queens some time in early March? I have an idea for something that I want to do during the next meetup that will directly tie into this visit.

Basically, it would be a piece of Bristol paper that everyone who attends would fill out and add their piece to it; a nice gesture if you will of showing solidarity while he recovers. This would then be delivered in person at a later point. I'll pitch it in the meetup thread.

Hi, i just read your post just now, yeah, i would like to go show support if it helps=)

Jhoan

^^Sweet! Thanks!

Was participating in the Global Game Jam all weekend long in the Microsoft building across the street from The Times building. It was fun and there was so much positive energy in the air. Never made art assets for a game on a sprite sheet before so that was awesome. The theme was ritual. I highly recommend it to anyone who's curious about game development or wants to network with other budding artists/writers/musicians/devs and everyone else in between. I ran into a bunch of people I knew there including a friend of mines who teaches Unity workshops there.

It was quite the experience plus there was free food all three days and the folks working the front desk of the MS building were very nice and humble. I never knew it was so technologically advanced and had some really nice views of The Times' office. Definitely planning on participating in a local game jam in the future. Going to be appearing in videos/websites in the near future since I was interviewed.

Re: Global Game Jam, is that yearly or do they run periodically? Would love to try to attend the next one if there's another one on the radar.

Jhoan

Re: Global Game Jam, is that yearly or do they run periodically? Would love to try to attend the next one if there's another one on the radar.

It's a yearly thing that happens in the end of January. Some sites are open to everyone including kids e.g. The Microsoft+Playcraft site whereas some sites have an age restrictions e.g. the NYU Game Center Brooklyn campus which was 16+ only. People are welcome to participate or observe and attend workshops.I think next year the organizers want to make it so that teams are able to make games remotely with other teams from around the world via technology. You can play some of the games produced at the MS site here:

http://globalgamejam.org/2016/jam-sites/playcrafting-nyc-microsoft/games?page=1

However, there also local game jams which are generally open to everyone regardless of skill level unless stated otherwise. Playcrafting NYC hosts a bunch of events at the aforementioned building and it's usually announced by other organizations e.g. NYC Game Industry. It's amazing how big the local indie game dev scene in the city is.

Makai

What is with you cavalier motherfuckers on the subway platform? We could hear the sound of an approaching train, so this dude poked his head into the tunnel to verify that it was actually coming. A few seconds later and he would have had a rough time. You're stressing me out! There's always people standing on the lip, ready to fall to certain doom. I am pressed against the wall, ensuring I don't fall off or (even worse) bump somebody else off.

Haly

If I look down the tunnel the train comes faster. Isn't that how it works?

Haly

No no it's common knowledge time slows down when you look at it.

NYGaf - Full disclosure - I'm helping my friend (audience coordinator) to try and get an audience for this. Please come tonight and bring friends! Email funnyordietickets@gmail.com for tix.

5fQHf1N.jpg

You’re invited to come see some EXCLUSIVE Funny Or Die / Triumph The Insult Comic Dog comedy videos not yet seen by the public!

Triumph (Robert Smigel) himself will be on hand to introduce the clips!

Triumph hits the 2016 presidential campaign trail - taking on Donald Trump, the Democratic and Republican Debates, a Tea Party Convention, a string of Ted Cruz bus appearances, and other hilarious campaign events!

Date: Tuesday, February 2
Time: 6pm-7:30pm
Where: NEP Studios, 401 5th Ave, Manhattan, New York, NY 10016

To request tickets, email funnyordietickets@gmail.com :
- Number of tickets you're requesting
- Your name and names of guests

Jhoan

Anyone know about penn station and long island railroad? I need help with something.
There's several GAF members that live in Long Island so shoot away.

^^^^I would have reserved tickets for the above event since I'm always downtown on Tuesdays meeting with my boss. But alas, duty calls since I meet with him from 5:30pm-7:00pm.

I saw a live Triumph the Insult Dog skit getting recorded with the guy who played Jack from 30 Rock and the Chocolate Rain guy at NY Comic Con 2 years ago. It was pretty cool seeing the finished result several months later.

I saw a live Triumph the Insult Dog skit getting recorded with the guy who played Jack from 30 Rock and the Chocolate Rain guy at NY Comic Con 2 years ago. It was pretty cool seeing the finished result several months later.

My friend worked that shoot! Comic Con wanted them to shut down apparently. But they kept shooting, ha.

Jhoan

My friend worked that shoot! Comic Con wanted them to shut down apparently. But they kept shooting, ha.
Whoa! Go figure! Yeah, I think it was because it was a fire safety hazard and they had to get everyone who was recorded to sign release forms (logistically impossible). I've worked in the Autographing area for 3/5 years that I've worked that show so I've seen a lot of stuff like this happen. I told a fan to flag down the guy who played Jack before he made it down to the celebrity tables. Ended up making his day since he got a selfie with him.
I'm going to see Unwritten Law at Webster Hall in April...

...of 2016. Good lord...

Makai

NYGaf - Full disclosure - I'm helping my friend (audience coordinator) to try and get an audience for this. Please come tonight and bring friends! Email funnyordietickets@gmail.com for tix.

You’re invited to come see some EXCLUSIVE Funny Or Die / Triumph The Insult Comic Dog comedy videos not yet seen by the public!

Triumph hits the 2016 presidential campaign trail - taking on Donald Trump, the Democratic and Republican Debates, a Tea Party Convention, a string of Ted Cruz bus appearances, and other hilarious campaign events!

Ben Carson imposter was hysterical.

There's several GAF members that live in Long Island so shoot away.

^^^^I would have reserved tickets for the above event since I'm always downtown on Tuesdays meeting with my boss. But alas, duty calls since I meet with him from 5:30pm-7:00pm.

LI GAF member who goes through Penn every couple of days, what's up?

Thanks guys. I got a job recently over there and today was my first time going. I got the ticket that goes over there and to come back home in the bx. It was $19.00, I was going to ask what is the cheapest but I guess that is it right?

Also if I am planning to go for the week over there is there a better ticket I should be buying to save money?

Mully

Thanks guys. I got a job recently over there and today was my first time going. I got the ticket that goes over there and to come back home in the bx. It was $19.00, I was going to ask what is the cheapest but I guess that is it right?

Also if I am planning to go for the week over there is there a better ticket I should be buying to save money?

Get a 10 trip. It's between $53 and $93 depending on whether you take a train during peak hours (think rush hours) or off peak hours (not rush hours). The ten trip ticket is good for 5 round trips.

Or you can get a monthly which is about $285 for a month's worth of unlimited rides.

$19 is the rate for my zone to Penn Station or Atlantic Terminal. Penn Station gets you to Manhattan. Atlantic Terminal gets you to Brooklyn near Park Slope. If you get on a train heading to Atlantic Terminal and you need to get to Penn Station, you transfer at Jamaica. Same goes if you need to get to Atlantic Terminal, but you're on a train to Penn Station.

Jamaica also allows you to get to JFK airport via the AirTrain, and also allows you to transfer to another train line. So, say you get on the Babylon line train at Penn Station, but need to transfer to the Hempstead line train, you can most likely do it at Jamaica. Same goes for any other line.

There are other smaller junctions around Long Island, but Jamaica is the place to transfer should you need to.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Did the rehearsal on Tuesday go better than the filming? Last night was...something. The content was hilarious though.

Jhoan

For anyone planning on going to the Play Fair next weekend, if you use the code VFF at the cart, you get a $5 discount. Offer expires on 2/12 so I'm passing the word along here since I'm volunteering there all afternoon on both days.

Also, the IndieCade East tickets have gone on sale as of today through the Museum of the Moving Image's website (on mobile so can't link). That's at the end of April this year and it's worth checking out to play upcoming Indie games, VR games, and what have you. That and having a high probability of running into Alex Navarro and/or Austin Walker.

why are Hamilton tickets so fucking expensive? gotta wait till november and they cost 500 god damn dollars. who has money like that to go watch a god damn broadway show? here I was thinking it was gonna cost me like 80 bucks tops.

Jhoan

why are Hamilton tickets so fucking expensive? gotta wait till november and they cost 500 god damn dollars. who has money like that to go watch a god damn broadway show? here I was thinking it was gonna cost me like 80 bucks tops.

Bro, that show is in SUPER high demand and got insanely good buzz/word of mouth in the months leading up to the public opening. It's so popular that even Obama went to catch a show when he was in the city. I'm happy that Lin Manuel Miranda really blew up (his appearance on Colbert helped) but yeah, it's damn near impossible for the average Hispanic family to afford tickets. The box office usually raffles off tickets at a huge discounted price but people show up in droves to wait outside for hours. You'll find a better explanation here: https://www.quora.com/Why-are-tickets-to-Hamilton-so-expensive

Broadway tickets are still pretty pricey in general which is why the average person in the city doesn't attend. You're better off going to a smaller theatre like El Repertorio Espanol or The PIT. The less popular a show is, the cheaper the tickets are and vice versa whether off-Broadway or otherwise. Broadway companies are trying to find ways to woo minorities into going to shows but it's got a long way to go.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Rehearsal was hilarious. What happened?

They needed to make a ton of retakes. Didn't let us in until an hour after it was supposed to start and it went on for two hours longer than they said it would because of times dialogue messed up or they weren't prepared. There was also a group of guys who were drunk / drinking there, being rowdy, that then left 1 hour in and following that was an awkward display of people trying to sneak out and the guard yelling at them not to.

It was definitely the weirdest taping I've been to. But the content itself was legit hilarious.

Any real New Yorkers?

Prove it with this quiz.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/nyc-food-test#.pkzNJgpO4

I got 16 out 17.

Messed up with the burger question.

16 out of 17 - missed the hot dog question. But in my defense, I don't like hot dogs.

Haly

12/17, sort of fraudulent.

Burger, borscht, the bakery thing, the pizza slice and ice cream.

Top Bottom