• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Saw Shen Yun last night at the Lincoln Center.

It was actually my first time seeing anything there. The aside from the heavy handed religious themes and story, the show was overall great. I recommend it.

milkham

Man, I haven't eaten Blimpie's in forever. I'd pretty much forgotten they existed. I don't eat Subway, I find that local delis make pretty kick-ass sandwiches, at least the ones near home and work, that I go to regularly. My home deli roasts their own roast beef and it is really nice in a hero and they don't skimp on it either.

Does Blimpie's still exist? Can't remember seeing one since the end of the 90s

I got a 11 out of 17 on that quiz, never seen a knish like that, failed the oyster bar, haven't eaten anything made in a bodega since i was a kid, blew it on the pizza slice and the cookie. Haven't been eating out enough the last few years i guess.

milkham

I haven't been to a blimpies in like 10 years. I remember it being pretty bad.

I used to go there during lunch break in junior high when the only thing i could buy was a BLT. I still went to a different one in high school but that was for the street fighter alpha 2 machine not the food.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
NYC GAF:

Go check this out:

http://www.nomadupstairs.com/

I was skeptical of a magic show, but this was a lot of fun and he's pretty awesome. Guy did some stuff that I just can't explain. And I was part of one of his tricks, so I know it's not with plants.

Penguin

So any good resources for apartment hunting?

Right now CL, Trulia, StreetEasy and Reddit, but the more options the better.

Mega

Banned
Does Blimpie's still exist? Can't remember seeing one since the end of the 90s

There are still a few around in the city, always seem to be tucked away in odd out of the way spots and look rundown... but yeah, by the beginning of the 00s they were already thoroughly crushed by Subway. Unless another opened, the one by Union Square is closed.

I have not eaten there since 2000-2001 but I did like it. It tasted like a good NY deli-grocery sandwich, unlike anything from Subway to be honest.

Totakeke

I just did my round of apartment hunting. Didn't use reddit, mainly used nakedapartments and streeteasy. Listings projects (they send a listing every wednesday) is nice too if you're interested in dealing direct with owners, interested in Brooklyn locations, and not be fed through the market.

Naked apartments is a lot more agent-friendly as they don't list the specific address the apartment is listed at, just the general area. And signing up will suddenly swarm you with a ton of messages from agents. A number of them will keep hounding you as well and I think that they can actually track whether you have been looking at listings or not. Maybe you'd like it but I never liked working with agents that much.

Definitely check out no fee apartments and don't let anyone deter you no matter what they say. The one I ended up with was pretty nice, but because my roommate was already stuck with an agent we had to pay the agent fee for an apartment originally listed for no fee. (another reason I don't like agents)

This may sound strange given the times we live in but there are many listings that never make it online. Get out on the street in the neighborhoods you're interested in and keep an eagle eye out for rental signs. Some of the brokers in this town are super old school and don't put much of anything online-- they throw up signs, reach out to their networks, and fill their openings like that.

Totakeke

This may sound strange given the times we live in but there are many listings that never make it online. Get out on the street in the neighborhoods you're interested in and keep an eagle eye out for rental signs. Some of the brokers in this town are super old school and don't put much of anything online-- they throw up signs, reach out to their networks, and fill their openings like that.

I feel like the rental signs put out are signs that have always stayed up all the time though. They never seem like signs that were just put out recently because of a new listing.

I feel like the rental signs put out are signs that have always stayed up all the time though. They never seem like signs that were just put out recently because of a new listing.
It doesn't really matter whether that particular sign is up to dare-- the benefit is getting names and numbers of agents that operate in that neighborhood who you can network with who aren't necessarily active online.

Also, listened to the first episode of a podcast on gentrification, very interesting: http://www.wnyc.org/story/mouth-ear-brooklyn-gentrification/

I know it's late and this is rather last minute, but I need to call upon the help of NYCGAFs.

I have a free day tomorrow in NYC and I would like to know where you city slickes would recommend me to go to and eat. a few things about myself first of course; I'm 38 and had been living in LA for 20+ years already. I've visited NYC all of once before and that was like close to 15 years ago. already been to the Met and the Statue before so crossing those off the list.

I'm currently planning on going to Rockefeller Building in the morning and also visit MoMA and High Line if possible; but outside of that, I have no idea what else to do in NYC on a Sunday. is the WTC memorial/Freedom Tower very crowded during Sunday? I also plan on grabbing some good eats of course, maybe a slice of your famous NYC pizza and Katz Deli. might also see if I can find a good French restaurant that won't require reservation. which one has that sea urchin cover with lightly toasted lardo dish anyway?

anyway, I look forward to any advice you fine folks can provide, and if any of you are free, maybe grab a beer together, my treat.

Makai

I know it's late and this is rather last minute, but I need to call upon the help of NYCGAFs.

I have a free day tomorrow in NYC and I would like to know where you city slickes would recommend me to go to and eat. a few things about myself first of course; I'm 38 and had been living in LA for 20+ years already. I've visited NYC all of once before and that was like close to 15 years ago. already been to the Met and the Statue before so crossing those off the list.

I'm currently planning on going to Rockefeller Building in the morning and also visit MoMA and High Line if possible; but outside of that, I have no idea what else to do in NYC on a Sunday. is the WTC memorial/Freedom Tower very crowded during Sunday? I also plan on grabbing some good eats of course, maybe a slice of your famous NYC pizza and Katz Deli. might also see if I can find a good French restaurant that won't require reservation. which one has that sea urchin cover with lightly toasted lardo dish anyway?

anyway, I look forward to any advice you fine folks can provide, and if any of you are free, maybe grab a beer together, my treat.
http://www.themeatballshop.com/

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

If you stick around midtown (the MoMA is near Rockefeller Center) Benoit is about a block away from MoMA. They have a prix fixe lunch. There's also Le Relaise de Venise a few blocks east, which is great if you just want steak and frites.

Davidion

Consider visiting the Cloisters, maybe swinging by Sakagura for dinner. Neither is the French restaurant you're looking for, but hey.

http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/met-cloisters
http://www.sakagura.com/

If you stick around midtown (the MoMA is near Rockefeller Center) Benoit is about a block away from MoMA. They have a prix fixe lunch. There's also Le Relaise de Venise a few blocks east, which is great if you just want steak and frites.

Consider visiting the Cloisters, maybe swinging by Sakagura for dinner. Neither is the French restaurant you're looking for, but hey.

http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/met-cloisters
http://www.sakagura.com/

many thanks for all the recommendations! going to pick one while I'm on the metro.

edit: is there any good NY pizza near Rockefeller?

Uh... not really. I mean, there's okay pizza, but nothing I'd go out of the way to eat.

Edit: If you don't mind neapolitan pizza, there's a Roberta's at Urbanspace Vanderbilt, which is near Grand Central.

hmmm, maybe I'll just grab whatever I come upon during my little tour later into the day, see what's available.

At Rockefeller you're within walking distance of http://53rdand6th.com/ which is another NYC laundry list mainstay.

oh yeah! think I heard about them opening a store in OC just recently. would the line be very long if I go there in the afternoon?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not too long in the afternoon, just get there before dinnertime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
As an aside, them opening sit down places kind of misses the point. LA has as much as Mediterranean fair as any other metropolis and Halal Guys (and all the similar carts) aren't so mindblowing that they introduce anything new to the cuisine. It's the whole cart parked anywhere convenient that is the main thing that differentiates them as cheap, fast food.

I'm happy for them that they're growing enough to expand but I can't help but feel they're overlooking something crucial.

As an aside, them opening sit down places kind of misses the point. LA has as much as Mediterranean fair as any other metropolis and Halal Guys (and all the similar carts) aren't so mindblowing that they introduce anything new to the cuisine. It's the whole cart parked anywhere convenient that is the main thing that differentiates them as cheap, fast food.

I'm happy for them that they're growing enough to expand but I can't help but feel they're overlooking something crucial.

well, I do suppose a food truck fleet in LA for them might be better, but oh well.

thanks to fallengorn for recommending Benoit. it's pretty slow there since it's Sunday in a business area so it's not pack at all and no need for reservation. the food is great, had the duck foie gras terrine and beef tartare and they're both delicious. add a baba for dessert and it makes for a great meal. too bad after tomorrow's work I'll be leaving on Tuesday morning to the next site, other wise I'll be hitting more good eats and maybe some bars or clubs.

on a side note, I just don't see myself ever living in NYC. way too expensive for the over all condition here. it's a great place if you "made it" but for everyone who's struggling to go up, it just feel too much to handle sometimes. but of course, I'm more laid back and lazy so that's probably just me. I do however see the allure of the city. it's truly a shining gem of a city.

You gotta get outside Manhattan to get a full view of the city. Manhattan and particularly midtown is not fully representative of the city at large.

Anyone else freaking out playing the Division? Some real weird moments I had playing this game. Like I walked out into Union square and I was explaining to my party how theres a lot of deja vu type moments in the game and then I realized I was in Union Square lol. I was looking for Barnes and Noble.

Also it's crazy how accurate it is. Theres no Whole Foods there but there's a "Food Market". Theres no Best Buy there but there's an electronics store. Theres no Duane Reade but there's a pharmacy. No Gamestop though.

Anyone else freaking out playing the Division? Some real weird moments I had playing this game. Like I walked out into Union square and I was explaining to my party how theres a lot of deja vu type moments in the game and then I realized I was in Union Square lol. I was looking for Barnes and Noble.

Also it's crazy how accurate it is. Theres no Whole Foods there but there's a "Food Market". Theres no Best Buy there but there's an electronics store. Theres no Duane Reade but there's a pharmacy. No Gamestop though.

I haven't played the Division, but how accurate is NYC in the game? Is it just Manhattan?

fallengorn

On the fence about The Division, but Mafia II copied a section of the BQE. It was pretty freaky driving by and seeing it in game.

Back when I wrote wanky thought pieces about games, I thought GTA IV would be that game.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here gone to see the Sleep No More show?

A couple friends and I heard about it and are thinking about attending a show the next time we head into the city since it seems really interesting but are just wondering if it was actually worth it at all.

Actually, I've had the opposite reaction. While the major landmarks look great, I find all the smaller inconsistencies really frustrating at times to navigate-- entire streets missing, streets or avenues that just look off, etc.

Cappa

Banned

A couple friends and I heard about it and are thinking about attending a show the next time we head into the city since it seems really interesting but are just wondering if it was actually worth it at all.
I went when it was still relatively unknown and not to popular and absolutely loved it.

I went with my brother and his girlfriend and all three of us had different experiences. This was like in 2011 though and from what I heard from other people whove been since is that it's crazy packed and some scenes are hard to see.

I personally would love to do it all over again and discover rooms I didn't find back then I'm just afraid like most good things in nyc it's become to popular for its own good

fallengorn

I went when it was still relatively unknown and not to popular and absolutely loved it.

I went with my brother and his girlfriend and all three of us had different experiences. This was like in 2011 though and from what I heard from other people whove been since is that it's crazy packed and some scenes are hard to see.

I personally would love to do it all over again and discover rooms I didn't find back then I'm just afraid like most good things in nyc it's become to popular for its own good

The last time I was there was maybe 2 years ago? Wasn't that crowded where it felt like it was uncomfortable. But then again, that was third time and I was min-maxing my experience. So I stayed around things that might've not been "popular."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I've been and its pretty fun.

nukedeggs

Hey NYCGAF, I have a question about subletting and such.

So, my friends and I recently signed a lease for an apartment that has a move-in date of April 15th. The catch - the earliest our lease ends for people is May 31st, and my personal lease-end date is July 15th. We were thinking of either subletting out our places, or subletting out our April 15th apartment.

We were looking into the law and we saw that it was illegal to sublet for less than 30 days unless a lease-holder is living on the property, and that we should ask a landlord's permission if we want to sublet for more than 30 days. I also read that, even if a lease were to say that subletting is not allowed, tenants are allowed to request a sublet and the landlord would not be able to "unreasonably" refuse, a term that seems fairly broad to me.

So we were wondering - if, say, at least one person stays on each property and does an AirBnB kind of deal where we only rent out rooms for >14 days (to avoid the hotel tax, though we will be renting out each room a series of times), would we need to contact anyone? Would this fall within the realm of the law? Also if anyone has any experience dealing with this kind of situation, I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

I think I've finally reached the age at which I hate St. Patricks Day. Fucking vape pens and green beads as far as the eye can see. How are so many people in the city able to get out of work or school?

I think I've finally reached the age at which I hate St. Patricks Day. Fucking vape pens and green beads as far as the eye can see. How are so many people in the city able to get out of work or school?

It's fucking garbage in the city. Drunk assholes everywhere (primarily from Long Island and New Jersey), puke on subway platforms and sidewalks. It's a goddamned nightmare, especially if you work anywhere near Penn Station, which I do.

It's fucking garbage in the city. Drunk assholes everywhere (primarily from Long Island and New Jersey), puke on subway platforms and sidewalks. It's a goddamned nightmare, especially if you work anywhere near Penn Station, which I do.

It's bad enough up in the 50's I can only imagine Penn Station is literally Hell right now.

fancimus

NYC GAF:

Go check this out:

http://www.nomadupstairs.com/

I was skeptical of a magic show, but this was a lot of fun and he's pretty awesome. Guy did some stuff that I just can't explain. And I was part of one of his tricks, so I know it's not with plants.
Sounds pretty cool! Great restaurant and bar at the NoMad as well, though I can only afford to go occasionally. Sounds like they're doing the magic show throughout the entire year, so maybe I'll wait until the Fall to see it.

Top Bottom