• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Bro, that show is in SUPER high demand and got insanely good buzz/word of mouth in the months leading up to the public opening. It's so popular that even Obama went to catch a show when he was in the city. I'm happy that Lin Manuel Miranda really blew up (his appearance on Colbert helped) but yeah, it's damn near impossible for the average Hispanic family to afford tickets. The box office usually raffles off tickets at a huge discounted price but people show up in droves to wait outside for hours. You'll find a better explanation here: https://www.quora.com/Why-are-tickets-to-Hamilton-so-expensive

Broadway tickets are still pretty pricey in general which is why the average person in the city doesn't attend. You're better off going to a smaller theatre like El Repertorio Espanol or The PIT. The less popular a show is, the cheaper the tickets are and vice versa whether off-Broadway or otherwise. Broadway companies are trying to find ways to woo minorities into going to shows but it's got a long way to go.
Ive seen other shows, those arent the ones i want to see though :( guess ill just keep listening to the soundtrack and use my imagination lol

Mega

Banned
10/17. Weird test. Real NYers go to popular tourist spots like Clarke's, Grimaldi's, Momofuku and expensive steakhouses? And they eat ethnic European foods? Okay. I know other lifetime NYers who wouldve scored even lower.

hoggert

Why was that test missing L platform churros or illegal chicken mango plastic bag meals from the Union Square folding shopping cart ladies? What fucking city did the test creator come from fucking Boston wow

Jhoan

The wind may be brutal as sin but sweet Jesus was Play Fair crowded! They sold out for the entire weekend! Pony Con is also happening out in Brooklyn so "artic blast" be damned. Heard it was much crazier in the morning.

The wind may be brutal as sin but sweet Jesus was Play Fair crowded! They sold out for the entire weekend! Pony Con is also happening out in Brooklyn so "artic blast" be damned. Heard it was much crazier in the morning.

Enlighten me to this "Pony Con". Also, does NYCGAF still do meetups?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Yeah, man it was ridiculous. I was hoping there'd be some spillover displays from Toy Fair, but it was mostly just a huge child activity center. Don't think I'd go back to one.

It was cool to see the Batmobile though.

Jhoan

[Agent]ZeroNine;195163976 said:
Enlighten me to this "Pony Con". Also, does NYCGAF still do meetups?

Meetups were on hiatus for all of last year. This month's meetup thread is here:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.phpt=1173395

PonyCon info is here (out in BK):http://ponycon.nyc/

BTW---passing this along---if anyone has free time and is not doing anything special tomorrow between the hours of 8AM and 7PM, the Play Fair Volunteer coordinator is still in need of volunteers for tomorrow and will enlist people on the spot. It serves as a free pass. Simply show up to the 38th and 11th entrance, say you're there to volunteer and security will tell you where to go. It's short on bodies.

Edit:mad:Fallengorn, yeah the real action was in Toy Fair but alas, it's an industry only event and Play Fair is indeed for toddlers. The few things of interest for adults was the Toy Tokyo exclusives and the Play Fair exclusive items. I saw the Ultraman figures already on eBay.

Stay warm guys! It's cold out there tonight. My toes are the only part of me that's cold so i'm using my gaming laptop power supply as a foot warmer =) pretty neat!

Jhoan

You can argue that it's Manhattan given its proximity. On the other hand, it very much feels like The Bronx if that makes any sense. Then again, there's still a bad stigma associated with The Bronx. I like going to that area to go to Target since it's closer to me.

Gallbaro

Banned
Do people who live in Marble Hill usually tell people that they live in Manhattan?

Marble Hill is legally part of Manhattan, largely because of a bunch of Italians did not want to be associated with the "darkies."

But, you know, you have to cross a river to get to the rest of Manhattan and the current demographics would likely not have the same issues as previous occupants being associated with the Bronx.

Jhoan

Reasons certain types of people need to be banned from working/volunteering at conventions:

Reason number one: If the person has traits of being loud, obnoxious, bossy, and makes others feel uncomfortable, chances are that person is a drama queen.

Example of a drama queen at work: Ruins what is supposed to be an otherwise feel good moment for volunteers-waiting for staff to gather around for a group photo with volunteers- by yelling at the top of her lungs from down the hall that her $35 Toy Tokyo figure has gone missing, exaggerates that it's going for sale for $300 on eBay (it's not), and proceeds to have a complete meltdown. The person also makes threats about what she will do if she finds the culprit and draws the attention of security. All for attention. Never a dull moment working a convention. That minor thorn in the side aside, things ran solidly at the good old Jacob Javits Center. Managed to come away with decent some swag.

Reasons certain types of people need to be banned from working/volunteering at conventions:

Reason number one: If the person has traits of being loud, obnoxious, bossy, and makes others feel uncomfortable, chances are that person is a drama queen.

Example of a drama queen at work: Ruins what is supposed to be an otherwise feel good moment for volunteers-waiting for staff to gather around for a group photo with volunteers- by yelling at the top of her lungs from down the hall that her $35 Toy Tokyo figure has gone missing, exaggerates that it's going for sale for $300 on eBay (it's not), and proceeds to have a complete meltdown. The person also makes threats about what she will do if she finds the culprit and draws the attention of security. All for attention. Never a dull moment working a convention. That minor thorn in the side aside, things ran solidly at the good old Jacob Javits Center. Managed to come away with decent some swag.

There's another convention at the Javits Center recently?

Jhoan

Oh yeah, the Javits Center always hosts events all year long since they're several booked months in advance. It's gotten to the point where I put one and one and together and realized that the Javits Center always hires Citadel Security for all their events since I recognized several security guards' faces.

This past weekend was Toy Fair (industry only event) and Play Fair (new 2 day kid/family friendly con for the public) in Javits North. I was volunteering in the latter which was organized by Left Field Media. Their Lego rendition of the Javits Center is going to be on permanent display by the Crystal Palace entrance which is guaranteed to bring them more publicity because their name is on both sides of the display case.

Speaking of conventions in the city, there will not be a Special Edition NYC in June this year because ReedPOP is going to focus on expanding NY Comic Con this year:

The problem is, there's not necessarily a place to expand the convention further. The Javits Center in New York got a boost from the addition of a new subway station across the street from it, but it needs more square footage in order to expand. That's become a central issue for Lance Fensterman, Global Senior Vice President of ReedPOP. The goal is to expand into more of New York City, with the square footage to spare

"We really want to take a big step forward in kind of growing outside of the Javits Center, because that's the only place we can grow. But really taking that event much more city-wide is a big goal."

Source.

Welp, there go my plans to apply as an exhibitor there this year and buy NYCC tickets a few months before the Midtown Comics rush. It will be interesting to see far out along the boroughs ReedPOP is willing to go. They put out events in Brooklyn Brewery so it looks like this year will be a continuation of holding events in trendy parts of each borough. The key thing for them being that the venue would have to be near a major train line to have easy access back to Manhattan and at least two boroughs.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
"We really want to take a big step forward in kind of growing outside of the Javits Center, because that's the only place we can grow. But really taking that event much more city-wide is a big goal."

NYCC has more organization than SDCC but the one thing SDCC has an advantage on is that San Diego as a town become ones enormous tourist trap, with hotels, parking lots and baseball parks all converting space towards contributing to the overall event. Assuming NYCC wants to be the premiere "comic convention" event, them expanding outwards makes sense.

Jhoan

That snow though but it's light so that's besides the point because tomorrow the temperature is jumping to 52 degrees with heavy showers. I like walking around with light snow.

The weather is going places this week that's for sure! Around this time last year, the windchill was brutally cold and there was a snow storm a few days before IndieCade East.

Slightly off-topic but if anyone is interested in attending PAX East in April as Enforcer---which is an amazing experience in and of itself for many reasons chief among them being part of a tight knit community as well doing behind the scenes work---and has free time the third weekend of April (after Easter), the application for new Enforcers can be seen here: http://east.paxsite.com/enforcers

Be advised that it's strongly encouraged to apply for it sooner rather than later because the amount of Veteran Enforcers returning this year was pretty high so there aren't many open spots for new Enforcers. Also, Boston GAF is a great bunch of folks.

Mega

Banned
Marble Hill is legally part of Manhattan, largely because of a bunch of Italians did not want to be associated with the "darkies."

But, you know, you have to cross a river to get to the rest of Manhattan and the current demographics would likely not have the same issues as previous occupants being associated with the Bronx.

I know Marble Hill was literally and physically a part of Manhattan before any Italians or black people showed up in significant numbers in NY. Do you mean that years later, in the 1900s with the arrival of Italians and blacks, that the neighborhood fought to keep its Manhattan designation for racist reasons?

For anyone unaware, here is the original reason from Wikipedia on why Marble Hill was considered part of Manhattan.

Politically a part of Manhattan and New York County, Marble Hill became an island in the Harlem River when it was separated from the island of Manhattan by the construction of the Harlem Ship Canal in 1895. In 1914, the Harlem River was filled in on the north side of Marble Hill, connecting it to the North American mainland and the Bronx.[3] Because of this change in geography, Marble Hill is often associated with the Bronx and is part of two of the latter's Community Board Districts.

After an increase in ship traffic in the 1890s, the United States Army Corps of Engineers determined that a canal was needed for a shipping route between the Hudson and Harlem rivers. In 1895, the construction of the Harlem River Ship Channel rendered Marble Hill an island bounded by the canal to the south and the original course of the Harlem River to the north.[6] The Greater New York Charter of 1897 designated Marble Hill as part of the Borough of Manhattan. Effective January 1, 1914, by an act of the New York State Legislature Bronx County was created, but Marble Hill remained as part of New York County. Later in 1914, the old river was filled in, physically connecting Marble Hill to the Bronx and the rest of the North American mainland.

Pau

I always forget to get tickets for NYCC. But there's no point in going for me if I'm not dressing up. But it's impossible to make a costume in my current space, and renting out sewing machines can get expensive.

I always forget to get tickets for NYCC. But there's no point in going for me if I'm not dressing up. But it's impossible to make a costume in my current space, and renting out sewing machines can get expensive.

Dress up as a Gaffer. There's your costume.

Shanlei91

Just go low budget!

http://kotaku.com/one-mans-terrible-cosplay-makes-the-internet-a-bette-1542023841

LUOWfgp.jpg

Jhoan

So the Nintendo World Store reopening launch party is tomorrow. There's already folks camping out from what I saw on my Twitter feed. Read that Charles Martinet and free stuff will be given out. Anyone planning on going to check it out?

Marvie_3

Banned
So the Nintendo World Store reopening launch party is tomorrow. There's already folks camping out from what I saw on my Twitter feed. Read that Charles Martinet and free stuff will be given out. Anyone planning on going to check it out?
I might swing by on sunday. Gonna be packed tomorrow.

Shanlei91

I'm nowhere near cool enough to pull that off! :p

The cat is the only one who needs to have swagger.

I went to a random Pokemon Sunday they hosted and that had a giant line. I imagine their reopening must have an insane turnout.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Was thinking about dropping by the store after work, but Martinet will be signing from 5-7pm, so we'll see. I'd like to see the new digs without it being crowded as hell.

Marvie_3

Banned
Walked by the NWS on my way to lunch and the line looked like it went all the way down 48th, up 6th, and went around the corner at 49th.

I think ill check it out in a few days. :lol

Pau

The cat is the only one who needs to have swagger.

I went to a random Pokemon Sunday they hosted and that had a giant line. I imagine their reopening must have an insane turnout.
I don't have a cat. ;_;
Walked by the NWS on my way to lunch and the line looked like it went all the way down 48th, up 6th, and went around the corner at 49th.

I think ill check it out in a few days. :lol
Yeah, fuck that. :p

Jhoan

I might stop by later after I take care of some errands. Folks in the thread on the gaming side said that the New 3DS faceplates they're selling are already on eBay.

I only wanted the FE Fates SE but it's gonna go incredibly fast. It would be nice to get my copies of Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 signed by Martinet but the more I think about how insane it must be inside, the more I think about going another day.

I need NYC-GAF Help tonight, I need to find a good late night tea spot for a date tonight, she doesn't really drink, that's why I'm not asking for traditional bar suggestion

Pau

I've waited in those lines for Pokémon games but I don't know if it's quite worth it. Especially if it's cold...

I need NYC-GAF Help tonight, I need to find a good late night tea spot for a date tonight, she doesn't really drink, that's why I'm not asking for traditional bar suggestion
The only teahouse I know (St. Alps) closed permanently. :/

Shanlei91

Took a date here once:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bosie-tea-parlor-new-york

It was nice and the dessert was great. We sat in the back where the tables are small so it was a good intimate atmosphere for a first date. Unfortunately she was sick and coughed on me the whole time haha

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Cha-An is good: http://www.yelp.com/biz/cha-an-new-york

I've tried a few of the tea parlors/houses in lower Manhattan because my friend is a tea freak and she disapproves of most of them. The best tea shop we ever went to closed doors because it was only a temporary pop-up.

Jhoan

I went to this place for my niece's birthday party two years ago: http://m.yelp.com/biz/alices-tea-cup-chapter-ii-new-york?osq=tea+house+64th+and+Lexington

It's a nice, charming place with two levels. The Berry Tea was amazing. They also serve alcohol. Society of Illustrators is down the block by the F train and it's a multi-leveled place as well. Not much to see though.

Cornbread78

Shit, I didn't know this thread existed. Next time I'm in NYC for work I'm gonna hit you guys up for entertainment advice. I always stay and the Radisson Martinique (office is in 1 Penn) on Broadway and go drink at Stout. I need to expand past 6-8th ave. and 30-47 or so, lol.

Jhoan

Volunteering at Big Apple Con. Surprised that a huge amount of cosplayers have converged in the Madison Square Garden Pavillion. A lot of it has been fantastic. Heard something about a cosplay after party nearby afterwards. Been bored.

Volunteering at Big Apple Con. Surprised that a huge amount of cosplayers have converged in the Madison Square Garden Pavillion. A lot of it has been fantastic. Heard something about a cosplay after party nearby afterwards. Been bored.

My brother and nephew are attending that. Unfortunately, I picked up a shift today and bored out my mind, thinking what to eat. Why do Blimpies have to be closed?

Jhoan

My brother and nephew are attending that. Unfortunately, I picked up a shift today and bored out my mind, thinking what to eat. Why do Blimpies have to be closed?
Nice. The only thing worth seeing here has been the cosplay pretty much and some cool Indie artists. Because Subway has been pretty much eclipsing it. IIRC, there's a Blimpie's near Union Square if you're near there.

Man, I haven't eaten Blimpie's in forever. I'd pretty much forgotten they existed. I don't eat Subway, I find that local delis make pretty kick-ass sandwiches, at least the ones near home and work, that I go to regularly. My home deli roasts their own roast beef and it is really nice in a hero and they don't skimp on it either.

Top Bottom