• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Was tempted to get this, but got Tales of and then 2 weeks later is Nioh time. Hopefully, I can try it down the road.
oh man! so many games =)
Sweet! Time to pick up my copy!
it was sold out at the best buy at my location. i wonder if alot of people brought it @ NYC.
Jelly since I don't have a PS4 but have fun and kiss goodbye to socializing.
i'm pretty excited for the Switch in March but this will hold me over till then. i wonder if there's going to be lines at Nintendo World store for that pikachu n3dsxl.

Jhoan

oh man! so many games =)

it was sold out at besy buy in my location. i wonder if ilot of ppl brought in in NYC.
oh man, i'm pretty excited for the Switch in March but this will hold me over till then. i wonder if there's going to be lines at Nintendo World store for that pikachu n3dsxl.
The 3DS in question for the curious:

Screen_Shot_2017_01_24_at_12.09.47_PM.0.png
I'm not sold on the Switch so I'll wait several months to a year before deciding if it's worth it. I passed on the Wii U as well and I'm a big Nintendo fan but avoiding spoilers for Breath of the Wild is going to be incredibly tough. People have been saying that the cameras make it look like it has nipples. I don't see it personally. I think it looks solid but I'm happy with my $100 N3DS as I intend to mod it for homebrew purposes. Of course there will be lines for it as scalpers will be going crazy for it.

Here's the link to the game I helped make over the weekend:

http://globalgamejam.org/2017/games/pirate-ravio

Only one of the art assets that I worked on made the cut (I worked on the player ship). There's no win state and no story text script because the programmers ran out of time. Another artist did the background. I'll post the assets that didn't make it into the game in the Drawing-A-Day thread at some point so as not to derail this thread.

Speaking of indie games, the Winter Play Expo is this Thursday at the Microsoft Technology Center. Everyone who made a game at GGJ was encouraged to show it off there and get feedback. I might not demo it since I didn't program anything but I *might * go as an attendee. Details are here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/winter-play-nyc-game-expo-tickets-29506892911

A quick update on the Best of Brooklyn: I'll be pouring beers for attendees as I was hoping to get it. My brother might be volunteering as well. He's a big lurker.

I got a gig working as a production assistant at Toy Fair so I'll be seeing the latest and greatest hot toys months ahead of their release. My plan is to try to work all four days even though I'm going to apply for an NPR internship.

Lastly, since we're at 3400 posts, here's a quick wall of fame of the top 10 posters:

Code:
Jhoan	381
JadedWriter	305
Penguin	278
Makai	156
davidwhangchoi	151
Bruce Springsteen	141
Lulubop	123
NYCmetsfan	99
fallengorn	92
B-Dubs	87

Penguin

So Zelda Escape Room tickets will go on-sale on Thurs, but at the time there's no location or date... so buying blind haha

http://scrapzelda.com/city/new-york/

We've hit a small bump in the road, and we are on hold for releasing the venue and dates for New York. Don't worry, we're still on track to come to New York!
Follow us on twitter @SCRAPZelda for the latest updates. We'll try our best to keep you updated with any information we get.
Defenders of the Triforce will be coming to New York in late April or early may.

We'd like to offer our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences this may cause.

The 3DS in question for the curious:

I'm not sold on the Switch so I'll wait several months to a year before deciding if it's worth it. I passed on the Wii U as well and I'm a big Nintendo fan but avoiding spoilers for Breath of the Wild is going to be incredibly tough. People have been saying that the cameras make it look like it has nipples. I don't see it personally. I think it looks solid but I'm happy with my $100 N3DS as I intend to mod it for homebrew purposes. Of course there will be lines for it as scalpers will be going crazy for it.

Here's the link to the game I helped make over the weekend:

http://globalgamejam.org/2017/games/pirate-ravio

Only one of the art assets that I worked on made the cut (I worked on the player ship). There's no win state and no story text script because the programmers ran out of time. Another artist did the background. I'll post the assets that didn't make it into the game in the Drawing-A-Day thread at some point so as not to derail this thread.

Speaking of indie games, the Winter Play Expo is this Thursday at the Microsoft Technology Center. Everyone who made a game at GGJ was encouraged to show it off there and get feedback. I might not demo it since I didn't program anything but I *might * go as an attendee. Details are here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/winter-play-nyc-game-expo-tickets-29506892911

A quick update on the Best of Brooklyn: I'll be pouring beers for attendees as I was hoping to get it. My brother might be volunteering as well. He's a big lurker.

I got a gig working as a production assistant at Toy Fair so I'll be seeing the latest and greatest hot toys months ahead of their release. My plan is to try to work all four days even though I'm going to apply for an NPR internship.

Lastly, since we're at 3400 posts, here's a quick wall of fame of the top 10 posters:

Code:
Jhoan	381
JadedWriter	305
Penguin	278
Makai	156
davidwhangchoi	151
Bruce Springsteen	141
Lulubop	123
NYCmetsfan	99
fallengorn	92
B-Dubs	87
I am honestly surprised I'm even that high on the wall of fame.

Jhoan

So Zelda Escape Room tickets will go on-sale on Thurs, but at the time there's no location or date... so buying blind haha

http://scrapzelda.com/city/new-york/

You're smoking son. I won't commit to it until a solid date and location is announced.
JadedWriter
I am honestly surprised I'm even that high on the wall of fame.
If I were to plug in my subway sketches and comic review articles, my post count would be a lot higher. ;)

Jhoan

I just heard on WNYC that the fare hike was approved by the MTA. What's the point of public hearings if they were already dead set on it? Thanks MTA!

I just heard on WNYC that the fare hike was approved by the MTA. What's the point of public hearings if they were already dead set on it? Thanks MTA!
Motherfuckers with their fucking one door opening ass trains. Assholes need to learn how to balance a god damn budget.

Jhoan

But with that fare hike there will be better service....right?
One can only hope but that's wishful thinking. I feel like the money will only be used to finance bigger projects and modernize all the train lines. It would be nice if every station got the mosaic art treatment.

So it looks like the fare will stay $2.75, but the bonus will decrease. The monthly and weekly is increasing however.

http://abc7ny.com/news/mta-board-expected-to-vote-to-increase-subway-bus-fare-to-$3/1719715/

Xun

I was looking at November, but truth be told it's probably a little too expensive if I were to go solo.

I'll keep looking though.
How's October?

I'm thinking of going from the 14th - 21st, I'm just looking at accommodation as we speak.

Airbnb will probably be the route I'll be going for since hotels for 1 are ridiculously expensive, I'm just not finding many places which appeal to me just yet in my price range...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How's October?

I'm thinking of going from the 14th - 21st, I'm just looking at accommodation as we speak.

Airbnb will probably be the route I'll be going for since hotels for 1 are ridiculously expensive, I'm just not finding many places which appeal to me just yet in my price range...

Be careful with AirBNB, short-term stays without the primary resident at home are illegal. I don't think you'll get in trouble, but it could turn into a bit more of a hassle than it's worth.

How's October?

B-Dubs is correct about Airbnb. Have you tried hotels that are outside of Manhattan, like some of the other boroughs? You could even try something in New Jersey.

Jhoan

So it looks like the fare will stay $2.75, but the bonus will decrease. The monthly and weekly is increasing however.

http://abc7ny.com/news/mta-board-expected-to-vote-to-increase-subway-bus-fare-to-$3/1719715/
As someone who pays pay ride, this is good news for me but it still sucks that the monthly and weekly unlimited is going up for people who can afford it and work a 9-5/multiple jobs. Honestly, a weekly unlimited isn't worth it unless one is going out 5 days of the week and doing at least two round trips per day. I'll be making damn sure I get those bonuses before then.
How's October?

That's fine. There's nothing super special going on around that time but you'll see stuff for sure. I'll agree with everyone else that you should look into staying in a hotel the outer boroughs or in New Jersey but close enough that you're within reasonable distance of Manhattan. I would also add to look into hostels since it's usually cheaper via hostelworld.com. When I went to Boston last year, I stayed at a hostel and the rates were very reasonable.

Jhoan

Do you need a permit to protest on 5th ave? I feel like people should protest every Trump building in the city.
The Secret Service probably won't allow it. Anything that's a threat to the president's security/family won't be taken lightly. I think protesters wouldn't able to get anywhere near that building within a 10-15 block radius of its vicinity.

Fuchsdh

The Secret Service probably won't allow it. Anything that's a threat to the president's security/family won't be taken lightly. I think protesters wouldn't able to get anywhere near that building within a 10-15 block radius of its vicinity.

Is the security still as bad as it was pre-inauguration around Trump Tower? You'd think it would have cooled off by now. Would be pretty ridiculous if they keep that side of the street's sidewalk forever closed off.

Jhoan

Is the security still as bad as it was pre-inauguration around Trump Tower? You'd think it would have cooled off by now. Would be pretty ridiculous if they keep that side of the street's sidewalk forever closed off.
I don't know personally as I haven't walked anywhere near that vicinity since he won the election. Although from a couple of news articles and reports that I saw on PBS News Hour, businesses have started suffering in the form of getting less tourist traffic. I read an article on Obama's neighbors back in Chicago and they said that in order to bring guests in, they had to notify the Secret Service ahead of time. While I don't think it would be anywhere near that extreme, I would imagine that pedestrians have to go through a deliberate corral to get by and/or show work ID if they work in the area.
Anyone up for a Resident Evil room escape? Runs from 2/22 to 3/19.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/new-yo...esented-by-capcom-iam8bit-tickets-31368981468

Some slots are already selling out.

40 bucks isn't bad at all. Why do all these Escape the Room places delay reavealing the location later though? I'm guessing it's to deter people from paying at the door.

Ah ok. I remember a while back the stores in 5th ave were complaining that the security in the area was messing up foot traffic into their stores.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
*shrugs* Brunch is great cause a lot of places have special meal deals + bottomless drinks. Can't see why that's so bad.

Brunch con sounds dumb thou. Just make it a food fest ;p

I am not a big breakfast guy. Only reason why I don't like it. Plus in some places it is oddly crowded.

Jhoan

Oh head count again, who is going to the Best of Brooklyn thingie tomorrow?
I'm volunteering in the afternoon shift so I'll be there by default. As I mentioned before, I'll be pouring beer at a TBA booth. I'm not looking forward to making the trek but I'm looking forward to seeing that area since I've never been there before.

FYI, for anyone who loves or is interested in traveling, the NY Times Travel show is happening today and tomorrow at the Javits Center. Tickets are 20 bucks which means it's cheaper than Best of Brooklyn.

Penguin

I'm volunteering in the afternoon shift so I'll be there by default. As I mentioned before, I'll be pouring beer at a TBA booth. I'm not looking forward to making the trek but I'm looking forward to seeing that area since I've never been there before.

FYI, for anyone who loves or is interested in traveling, the NY Times Travel show is happening today and tomorrow at the Javits Center. Tickets are 20 bucks which means it's cheaper than Best of Brooklyn.

Well I'll find you and hope for an extra generous pour ;)

Jhoan

Well I'll find you and hope for an extra generous pour ;)

For sure! I'll be more than happy to hook a GAF bro up with as much beer as you want. I'd be curious to go see what Bay Ridge is like in person and explore around that area. I've never been to that entire cluster of neighborhoods including Dyker Heights and Borough Park.

Top Bottom