• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Penguin

yes, please share =)

I think it's a really nice piece of tech. I enjoyed playing with it in most configurations. Really liked the Grip controller and it as a handheld.

Arms is a ton of fun and can't wait to play more of that. Snipperclips is a game everyone should play attention to.

I think it's a really nice piece of tech. I enjoyed playing with it in most configurations. Really liked the Grip controller and it as a handheld.

Arms is a ton of fun and can't wait to play more of that. Snipperclips is a game everyone should play attention to.
thanks Penguin! good to know, how heavy did it feel as a handheld vs. 3ds xl or vita? is it light enough to for decent portable play. i get the impression that it's the same weight as the wiiU controller.

gazele

Banned
thanks Penguin! good to know, how heavy did it feel as a handheld vs. 3ds xl or vita? is it light enough to for decent portable play. i get the impression that it's the same weight as the wiiU controller.

Think its heavier than a vita, it's fairly hefty, screen looks really nice though

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Think its heavier than a vita, it's fairly hefty, screen looks really nice though

I really want to hold it to tell whether that'll be a factor for me.

I think I honestly prefer my Vita over my 3DS XL purely because of weight. My Vita with a grip that includes L2/R2 triggers feels like a feather compared to the 3DS XL with a grip.

hey awesome! thanks! i misread your last post and thought you wanted to know more about the impressions but nice to hear another got some playtime with it.

i guess i'll be using the Switch mainly as a tabletop or console dock bc my hands get pretty tired holding up my 3ds xl. i had to downsize to a smaller n3ds (i play it before going to bed lying down).

man it's going to be in the upper 40's again this week in the city. kinda warm...

Penguin

The weight is hard to gauge since they had like a metal clamp attached to most of the mobile units.

But it does have a decent weight to it.

Penguin

gazele

Banned
Surprisingly, my least favorite (besides the sideways joy con) was the grip, didn't like the feel of it

one joycon in each hand is actually super comfortable and my favorite

Surprisingly, my least favorite (besides the sideways joy con) was the grip, didn't like the feel of it

one joycon in each hand is actually super comfortable and my favorite

Good to know; I was a bit worried since there's no way I'll ever actually have that grip with me when I would want it.

Jhoan

Damn Jhoan, nice work with the new OP! You were right on... still lurking but just took about a year off from posting. A ton of stuff happened in the past year including moving to a new place in Hell's Kitchen from Brooklyn, bad breakup, new job, etc, so I needed some time away. Penguin gave me the heads up that there might be a meet up next month? Definitely interested :D
Aw shucks! You're being too modest man! I just took what was old, made it new again, and quietly update the OP from time to time.

I'm sorry to hear that the relationship ended the way it did. However, I've been happy to see that you've been moving on up and having some work adventures abroad. It's completely understandable to rebuild yourself and start a clean slate. Honestly, I feel like I'm due for a change as I get closer to 30 but whatever it is, it's not clear what that is yet. I'm pretty much winging it.

That being said, you heard that right. The plan is to bring back it back full circle to The Gaf since it's been five years since there was a meet up there. I don't expect anyone to get put into a headlock or droves of lurkers suddenly to show up.

Lulubop

Oh happy birthday!

Thanks dude.

Just going to Root and Bone, and hopefully a nice cocktail bar with this girl I been talking to. Oh, actually it's the girl who picked me up at the bar during the last meet up.

Any recommendations on a cocktail bar in the LES or West Village? I been to all the good ones in my hood (East Village)

Jhoan

oh shoot only a few more days till the 24th. i'm so stoked.

going to be pretty nice weather tomorrow.
The context is that Yakuza 0 is out on the 24th. David has been expressing his excitement for it in the Yakuza 0 thread and the review thread. I don't have a PS4 so I won't be getting it any time soon but I have the first four Yakuza games. I watched my brother play through the entirety of 3 and it was super melodramatic and wacky. I want to play it myself at some point but I'm looking forward to seeing him play 4.
Thanks dude.

Just going to Root and Bone, and hopefully a nice cocktail bar with this girl I been talking to. Oh, actually it's the girl who picked me up at the bar during the last meet up.

Any recommendations on a cocktail bar in the LES or West Village? I been to all the good ones in my hood (East Village)
Have you been to Mayahuel? It's in the East Village but it's a pretty cool cocktail bar. I had an Indian Winter from there but that was about 3 years ago. Otherwise Wellington once mentioned The Ship, a speak easy place in SoHo with a cool bartender named Cervantes.

Also obligatory:

birthday-skeleton-540x1472.jpg

On another note, Governor's Island is opening early this year for the first time ever. On May 1st to be exact:

”An extra month on Governor's Island means more arts, culture and outdoor time for New York families. We are proud of the focused progress that got us to a spring opening this year, and will note that a May Day opening stands as a symbol of changes as we create a more livable and affordable city," said Mayor Bill de Blasio.

I've never been to Governor's Island so the fact that it's opening in the spring means that I might finally give myself an excuse to go.

Source

I'm throwing it out there that tomorrow marks the start of the Global Game Jam. I'm still slated to go participate at the Microsoft Technology Center site since I had fun despite not being a programmer. I've been feeling lazy as sin to socialize lately. Is anyone else planning on participating?

Aesthet1c

Hey NYC GAF!

Didn't think it was worth making a new thread over, but I'm wondering if you guys have any solid restaurant recommendations?

My wife is out there right now visiting family in Boston and they are staying a night at the Waldorf Astoria. So preferably something near there that would be less than $50 a person if possible.

Thanks!

EDIT: Just checked the OP! I'll go with that for now, but if anyone has any recommendations on top of that, I'll definitely take them!

Penguin

SIGH

Seems MetroCards are going up to 3 bucks

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-moves-raise-subway-fare-3-metrocard-swipe-article-1.2950534

MTA officials will recommend that the next fare hike reaches $3 a swipe, passing on a plan that would keep fare at $2.75, the Daily News has learned.

The $3 option the MTA brass will recommend at a board meeting next week would increase the fare by a quarter, but it also increases the bonus riders get for every round trip they put on their MetroCard to 16%, up from 11%.

Under either fare hike scenario, the cost of unlimited MetroCards will increase. A 30-day subway pass will increase to $121, from $116.50 and a weeklong pass will increase to $32, from $31.

Lulubop

I've never been Mayahuel, and the girl I'm seeing is mexican so maybe. A date actually brought me to the ship a week ago. It was nice.

Jhoan

For people making minimum wage, this means it would cost about two paychecks to pay for a 5 day Metrocard. The MTA continues to anger people and screw over anyone who doesn't work a 9-5 job or multiple jobs. It adds up in the long run. =/
Any chance I'll be able to walk into a store anywhere in this city on 3/3 and buy a Nintendo Switch?
Idk bout Yakuza but I want Nioh. Too bad my best friend took my ps4 controller with him to Mexico
I can see why since it's pretty much Onimusha Souls for fans of both series. I can't help but think that the protagonist looks a lot like Geralt but I've been keeping a close eye on it. I think the Yakuza series deserve solid sales. They're not for everyone but the amount of effort put into localizing them and the sheer amount of stuff to do is a good bang for the buck. It's amazing to think that two Yakuza games are coming out this year. Personally, as a 3DS only owner, I'm stoked for Dragon Quest VIII even though I don't play much games these days any more.What's stopping you from getting a PS4 controller from eBay or the GAF BST thread?
yeah man! thanks for the shoutout, it's definitely gained traction with the high review scores that released today =)
My pleasure! I've been lurking in both threads way too much but the reviews have been pretty damn solid. I was happy to see that Giant Bomb did a Quick Look of it as Jeff and Brad seemed to like it. I heard something about the GBEast crew doing a run of the game but that might be a premium video only. The biggest qualm seems to be the negative depiction of women as either sexual objects, damsels in distress, or victims of violence and the inconsistent cut scenes. It would be cool to see a game starring Kaoru Sayama in the future since she was one of the better female characters in the series. We're getting off-topic with the gaming discussion so we'll leave it there. I'll post my thoughts on the series in the appropriate threads.

Peltz

Any chance I'll be able to walk into a store anywhere in this city on 3/3 and buy a Nintendo Switch?
Nintendo store will have a long line - I mean over 6 possibly as long as 12 hours of waiting - depending on when you get there.

When Wii U launched I went there the next morning after midnight launch instead and only had to stand in line for about an hour to get one.

I have a feeling supply may be a bit more limited this time around though.

Lulubop

Meh, it would have to be dirt cheap. I brought a PS4 like 2 years ago, or whenever Bloodborne came out just for Bloodborne. I just game on pc, actually buying a 7700k for myself. Wish new GPUS were on the horizon.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Same, also kinda curious about split, heard good things

Premiere was in the city at the SVA Theater. I really liked it and then the ending "twist" made me appreciate it infinitely more.

There would likely be some camping / waiting on a line for over an hour to get one, assuming any stores get units that aren't preorders. The Gamestop on e. 116th st tends to have hard to find items.

If you guys needed to buy (nice) speakers, where in Manhattan might you go? In particular, I need to be able to talk with an employee who is knowledgable about audio and who I can trust to not mislead me.

Penguin

Trying to figure out where to go... don't wanna come back into the city after work... or maybe if do like LES or something.

or we could do like Park Slope or Bushwick... or Williamsburg... grrr

Penguin

Yeah, personally I'd rather not go to brooklyn (sorry Earl!) maybe later in the year when its nicer out

Down for a place with a good hh! Cause I'm cheap

Hey I compromised... willing to go close to the edge of the city

But need suggestions and not trekking to Alphabet City, Lulu!

And cheap drinks are nice... though might not be out by the time happy hours begin to wrap up.

gazele

Banned
OT but happy hour is confusing

Lasts for more than an hour, changes based on the bar

Edit: Probably more confused cause Utah banned them in 2012 lol

Penguin

OT but happy hour is confusing

Lasts for more than an hour, changes based on the bar

Edit: Probably more confused cause Utah banned them in 2012 lol

Yeah didn't realize places do that

Illinois banned it as well.

MY favorite are the ones who do happy hour that ends at like 4... you ain't fooling no one... folks are working during that time!

Anyhow, I'm open for suggestions... I guess can do East Side as well... maybe come from work but if that's the case not gonna stay out long...

but yeah LES, East Village, near Union Square, maybe down on Delancy/Essex

Maybe the Library?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-library-new-york

Jhoan

I'm still intending on registering for the Global Game Jam so I'm probably going to end up passing on the drinks since it goes from 6pm-8pm. today I dunno how long you guys are going to stay out for. I'm a bit nervous about participating this year to be honest since I'm concerned that I'll end up with a shitty team where people's egos are high but I think it'll be fine. I heard the streets are silent today because of the inauguration.

Top Bottom