• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Makai

I'm still intending on registering for the Global Game Jam so I'm probably going to end up passing on the drinks since it goes from 6pm-8pm. today I dunno how long you guys are going to stay out for. I'm a bit nervous about participating this year to be honest since I'm concerned that I'll end up with a shitty team where people's egos are high but I think it'll be fine. I heard the streets are silent today because of the inauguration.
Cool. I'm doing it too but likely solo - at the metrotech location. Really tired so I'll probably leave early tonight.

Jhoan

Cool. I'm doing it too but likely solo - at the metrotech location. Really tired so I'll probably leave early tonight.
It's a lot more convenient for you so it's understandable. I heard there's more professional/aspiring game dev types in that location. I'm running late but I'm waiting for the train now. Good luck!

Let's try and translate.

Number wants to go to the Women's March in NYC to see if we can pick up chicks to go drinking with after.
That's kind of a bastardization of a reason why to go to a fucking woman's rights march. Dude should have some respect. Go there to march for women's rights or not go there at all.

Jhoan

I'm helping to create a game all weekend long. It looks like I've been paired into a solid group. Can't say what the theme is because of reasons but I'm the art guy. There's a girl in my group that I hit it off with right away.

I saw a GAF member who stopped posting, Kilrathi, that's participating in it. He had a horse avatar, VR developer. He won best visual style in his site last year so there's some stiff competition but it's all for fun so not worried.

Xun

I think it's pretty solid. There's always something to do/see at any given time so it depends on what you want to do/see depending on where you stay in the city. I think the subway system is fairly easy to learn coming from London so you should be fine. When would you be looking to visit?
I was looking at November, but truth be told it's probably a little too expensive if I were to go solo.

I'll keep looking though.

Penguin

May be helpful in the future

Jhoan

I'm definitely out since I'm neck deep in game development. until 9pm. The 3 programmers, the writer, and the additional artist are the real MVPs but I'm trying my best to pull my weight and get the characters done. I kinda wish I had some alcohol now since it would make my art stuff something...interesting.

Jhoan

I'm wearing a GAF shirt and not a single person has recognized it so far. Maybe tomorrow when everyone presents, someone will recognize it. I'm reppin GAF all weekend long.

Kilrathi

I'm helping to create a game all weekend long. It looks like I've been paired into a solid group. Can't say what the theme is because of reasons but I'm the art guy. There's a girl in my group that I hit it off with right away.

I saw a GAF member who stopped posting, Kilrathi, that's participating in it. He had a horse avatar, VR developer. He won best visual style in his site last year so there's some stiff competition but it's all for fun so not worried.

I am still around, I just don't post online much. Working in vr in non game related applications and working on my own indie vr game, plus being a horse owner, no free time.

There is team at Microsoft nyc site that is using a motion capture suit with a vr headset, just to give the range of ambitious projects going on. The team I'm apart of has 2 other vr developers. We are using oculus rift, oculus touch, and virzoom bike. There was alot of cheering when we got the bike sdk fully integrated and working with the touch controllers. Now if git would stop breaking stuff in unity.

Makai

I am still around, I just don't post online much. Working in vr in non game related applications and working on my own indie vr game, plus being horse owner, no free time.

There is team at Microsoft nyc site that is using a motion capture suit with a vr headsets, just give the range of ambitious projects going on. The team I'm apart of has 2 other vr developers. We are using oculus rift, oculus touch, and virzoom bike. Now if git would stop breaking stuff in unity.
In Editor Settings, set Asset Serialization Mode to Force Text

Jhoan

The power of networking. I think my team is going to have a playable game this year since last year, the game's mechanics and levels were split on two laptops. We had 2 programmers, 2 artists, and a writer but one of the programmers didn't specialize in Unity. Feeling pretty good about having a playable build this year. I need to finish some art assets, there's some story stuff, plates, and it's a wrap.

Jhoan

Quick shout out to Kilrathi/his team for winning 1st place in the Microsoft Playcraft jam site. Lightning strikes twice for pro devs. Unfortunately, I had to go so I couldn't speak with you but it was great to see you again. My team petered out and bailed before the closing ceremony save for one person. However, I had a good time otherwise. I'm sure this will neither be the first nor the last time we'll run into each other this year.

I'll post a link of the game as soon as I get home. For future reference in game jams, I'm going to make a beeline straight for the pro devs that I'm acquainted with. I definitely don't want to wait another year to work on another game so I'll keep an eye on more jams. Maybe game art might be my calling after all or not.

Ok I have a question.

When they say DJ whatever is playing does it mean he is going to play his own songs or he can play stuff that plays on the radio?

The fuck is up with NYC and all the pub parties? I want huge lounges and lot of people dancing.

Output looks the best so far.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Relevant to those of us that live on the coast with the superior burger chain:

https://slickdeals.net/f/9702568-download-shake-shack-app-for-ios-get-a-shackburger-free

Shake Shack [Restaurant Locator] offers New Customers that Download their Shake Shack App for iOS a Free ShackBurger when you apply promo code SHACKAPPY at checkout. Thanks BillM4472

Note, add a "Single ShackBurger" to your order and checkout then apply the promo code SHACKAPPY at final checkout and submit order

Deal Editor's Notes & Price Research: Promotion is redeemable through 2/28 at any U.S. Shack (except airports, stadiums and ballparks). No minimum purchase required; Full terms of the promotion here.

Jhoan

Ok I have a question.

When they say DJ whatever is playing does it mean he is going to play his own songs or he can play stuff that plays on the radio?

The fuck is up with NYC and all the pub parties? I want huge lounges and lot of people dancing.

Output looks the best so far.
Avatar quote. Reading this post with Jibanyan's voice makes it funnier. That's NYC for you. I'm pretty sure that the DJ is going to play mixes of top 40 stuff and other party music. Feel free to look up the DJ of the night's stuff to get an idea of what kind of music they play.
nycGAF,

time for business:
Jelly since I don't have a PS4 but have fun and kiss goodbye to socializing. I'm thinking about getting Dragon Quest 8 myself so decisions.
Relevant to those of us that live on the coast with the superior burger chain:

https://slickdeals.net/f/9702568-download-shake-shack-app-for-ios-get-a-shackburger-free

Shake Shack [Restaurant Locator] offers New Customers that Download their Shake Shack App for iOS a Free ShackBurger when you apply promo code SHACKAPPY at checkout. Thanks BillM4472

Note, add a "Single ShackBurger" to your order and checkout then apply the promo code SHACKAPPY at final checkout and submit order

Deal Editor's Notes & Price Research: Promotion is redeemable through 2/28 at any U.S. Shack (except airports, stadiums and ballparks). No minimum purchase required; Full terms of the promotion here.
IOS only?! Lame but oh well.

Top Bottom