• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupy Canada is useless since Canadian Banks are well regulated and avoided the shit mess that the US and Europe got in.

2ndly, it's a combination of US Right Wingism, Reaganomics and Clinton's repeal of Glass-Steagall that got the US into the shit of shit that it's in today.

Yeah, when I was young, I thought Clinton was cool but then you learn the truth when you grow up that he was a Republican President who was more Republican than most Republican Presidents

RSTEIN said:
Because I'm a high income earner I pay nearly 50% in taxes (in Canada). A median income earner pays roughly 30-35%. Let's say a my pre-tax income is around $300k. After paying 50% tax, my after tax salary is 150k. The median income earner who makes 50k takes home around $35k after paying his or her 30% in taxes. So it doesn't matter. The 1%'s wealth will always grow faster than the 99%'s wealth. Even if you tax my income at 80% (!!) my after tax income is $60,000, still nearly double the median income earner's after-tax income. No matter what the tax rate is--50%, 60%, even 80%--the 99%'s wealth will still slow at a snail's pace when compared to the 1%'s wealth. Taxes just govern the pace at which the gap grows.

So you can tax me all you want. If I'm in the top 1% or better yet the top 0.50%, then my millions and millions still stay my millions and millions while the 99% continues to struggle.

The key question is: what do we do with the increased tax collection. And I haven't heard any new or innovative ideas from the Occupy movement.

The funny thing is this STILL ignores how tax brackets work where each portion of your income is taxed at a certain percentage so in America you would be taxed at the same rate as a lower income earner until your pay reached the higher brackets. This is why making more money is never a bad thing even when you cross over into a higher bracket.

RSTEIN said:
Because I'm a high income earner I pay nearly 50% in taxes (in Canada). A median income earner pays roughly 30-35%. Let's say a my pre-tax income is around $300k. After paying 50% tax, my after tax salary is 150k. The median income earner who makes 50k takes home around $35k after paying his or her 30% in taxes. So it doesn't matter. The 1%'s wealth will always grow faster than the 99%'s wealth.

History says hello.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Compression
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/18/introducing-this-blog/

RSTEIN said:
The key question is: what do we do with the increased tax collection. And I haven't heard any new or innovative ideas from the Occupy movement.

Since you're in Canada, I frankly don't care what you do with it. While Canada has slowly (and stupidly) been moving economically in the direction of the US, it is still a far cry from the US. It has, e.g., universal health care and better income equality.

In the US, this really is about establishing first principles, e.g., the principle of taxing the rich. I am happy to talk about what spending should be done once tax rates on high income earners go up, but it is not right now the principle issue.

Alpha-Bromega said:
hey @emptyvessel what do you think about fractional reserve banking as the primary means of perpetuating wealth inequality? this was told to me and i was wondering your opinion on it

First, I think we have to be careful about our terminology. Wealth is the measure of the assets that one has accumulated over time. Income is the assets that one earns in one year. Wealth inequality seems to be persistent and deeply entrenched and is something that exists in most countries, even ones that have relatively equitable income distributions. I don't think it is even studied that much. It's just too "hard" of a problem to take on. Income inequality, on the other hand, is what we have our sights on. It is in itself very important to the economic stability of a country and it is much easier to fix.

Having made those clarifications, I think the proposition that fractional reserve banking is the primary means of perpetuating income inequality is false. Low tax rates on the highest income earners, deregulation of the financial industry, and decline in union membership are the primary causes of income inequality in the US in my opinion. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with fractional reserve banking. The objection that it creates money from nothing isn't very persuasive because that is, in fact, how all money is created. There might be things to be discussed about leaving this power in private hands, but that's a separate issue I think.

If you want to read more about the causes of income inequality in the US, Winner-Take-All Politics: Public Policy, Political Organization, and the Precipitous Rise of Top Incomes in the United States, available at: http://pas.sagepub.com/content/38/2/152.full.pdf

Chichikov

Alpha-Bromega said:
hey @emptyvessel what do you think about fractional reserve banking as the primary means of perpetuating wealth inequality? this was told to me and i was wondering your opinion on it
A bank which is not fractional is of little use to society at large.
It's just a safe deposit box and it need to make its money through fees, which is not an economically productive activity.

Bank investment, if done responsibly, is a very good thing, it takes saved money, and put it to work.
I'm not going to invest my nest egg in some business venture, that's too risky, but a bank, having the ability to spread the risk among multiple investments can do it, helping me (with higher return) itself (with interest on the loan) and the business (by giving a loan).

Sure, this mechanism has been subverted in recent years into this orgy of leverage, but it worked remarkably well when we still had Glass Steagall.

ToxicAdam

gutter_trash said:
Occupy Canada is useless since Canadian Banks are well regulated and avoided the shit mess that the US and Europe got in.

2ndly, it's a combination of US Right Wingism, Reaganomics and Clinton's repeal of Glass-Steagall that got the US into the shit of shit that it's in today.

Yeah, when I was young, I thought Clinton was cool but then you learn the truth when you grow up that he was a Republican President who was more Republican than most Republican Presidents

It should just show you how powerless a President really is. He's completely at the mercy of what Congress wants him to do. Which is why Reagan raised taxes numerous times, Nixon passed some landmark 'liberal' policies and Clinton was the greatest Republican president of the modern era.

That's why I laugh at liberals that are 'mad' at Obama. If they actually evaluated history, he's been one of the most effective Presidents at getting his platform enacted into laws. He did have congressional majorities and a financial calamity to provide some cover, but he's also had fierce opposition.

Chichikov

ToxicAdam said:
That's why I laugh at liberals that are 'mad' at Obama. If they actually evaluated history, he's been one of the most effective Presidents at getting his platform enacted into laws. He did have congressional majorities and a financial calamity to provide some cover, but he's also had fierce opposition.
FDR and LBJ laugh at this proposition.

And liberals have every right to be disappointed at Obama, he was elected (mainly) to end the war on terror and to clean up after wall street.
He was able to achieve neither.

And in any case, any person, liberal or conservative have every right to be upset at the results he got.
You can argue that this is the absolutely best possible outcome given the opposition, world economy or whatever, some liberals would even agree with you; I think this is bullshit (though this is obviously an un-provable opinion).

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Too add to what emptyvessel was saying earlier. See if you can spot the "OH SHIT" moment where credit rating agencies realized they had been caught and started downgrading:

800px-MBS_Downgrades_Chart.png

Chichikov said:
A bank which is not fractional is of little use to society at large.
It's just a safe deposit box and it need to make its money through fees, which is not an economically productive activity.

Bank investment, if done responsibly, is a very good thing, it takes saved money, and put it to work.
I'm not going to invest my nest egg in some business venture, that's too risky, but a bank, having the ability to spread the risk among multiple investments can do it, helping me (with higher return) itself (with interest on the loan) and the business (by giving a loan).

Sure, this mechanism has been subverted in recent years into this orgy of leverage, but it worked remarkably well when we still had Glass Steagall.

Drexel Burnham, LTCM, Metallgessellschaft, Bankhaus Herstatt, Bankers Trust, Robert Citron and Orange County.

Glass Steagall is not the answer.

Deku

Banned
Chichikov said:

And liberals have every right to be disappointed at Obama, he was elected (mainly) to end the war on terror and to clean up after wall street.
He was able to achieve neither.

And in any case, any person, liberal or conservative have every right to be upset at the results he got.
You can argue that this is the absolutely best possible outcome given the opposition, world economy or whatever, some liberals would even agree with you; I think this is bullshit (though this is obviously an un-provable opinion).

He was elected to end the war in Iraq, which he did. He criticized a lot of anti-terror policies. Some of which he has gone back on and others he has intensified others, like drone attacks.

But he never ran on ending the fight against terrorism, or NOT capturing/killing OBL, or generally NOT attacking America's enemies.

One of Obama's greatest success is much of the trans-atlantic tensions on foreign policy.

ToxicAdam is right. Liberals, like any group of people 'in power' have completely lost perspective and let Obama's setbacks dictate how you view him.

Granted some Liberals never really were Obama supporters in the sense that they supported his moderate platform. They supporting the idea of electing a Black President and feeling good about themselves.

ToxicAdam

Chichikov said:

FDR isn't really a modern era president (which I should have implied) and LBJ had incredible majorities in both the House and Senate to coincide with the political cover the JFK assassination provided.

Also, I couched my statement as 'one of', not 'the'.

Deku

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
FDR isn't really a modern era president (which I should have implied) and LBJ had incredible majorities in both the House and Senate to coincide with the political cover the JFK assassination provided.
He was also a great Parliamentarian.

The PBS biography on LBJ discussed how he used his physical presence to intimidate people in his own party to vote his way.

Obama would never do that or he'd be accused of being a gangsta thug by the Republicans.

nytjohnson02.jpg

Chichikov

Hasphat'sAnts said:
Drexel Burnham, LTCM, Metallgessellschaft, Bankhaus Herstatt, Bankers Trust, Robert Citron and Orange County.

Glass Steagall is not the answer.
I'm not overly familiar with German banking, so I can't comment on those examples, but all of the examples you gave from the US were after Glass Steagall was partially repealed in the early 80s.
Plus Drexel Brunham broke the law.

Also, I did not mean to imply that Glass Steagall is some sort of a magic bullet that prevent any bank from failing, ever.
But it was remarkably successful at preventing catastrophic failures like the ones we're seeing now.

And I'm really not sure what Robert Criton has to do with any of this.

ToxicAdam

He was also a great Parliamentarian.

I don't doubt he was a persuasive person, but look at the numbers he had while in office:

1967 90th D - 64 D- 247
1965 89th D – 68 D – 295
1963 88th D – 66 D – 259
1961 87th D – 64 D – 263

So, let's not get too carried away with the mythos of a political figure, especially pre-Nixon era.

Chichikov said:
I'm not overly familiar with German banking, so I can't comment on those examples, but all of the examples you gave from the US were after Glass Steagall was partially repealed in the early 80s.
Plus Drexel Brunham broke the law.

Also, I did not mean to imply that Glass Steagall is some sort of a magic bullet that prevent any bank from failing, ever.
But it was remarkably successful at preventing catastrophic failures like the ones we're seeing now.

And I'm really not sure what Robert Criton has to do with any of this.

Citron bankrupted Orange County by speculating on Repo notes and floating rate notes. Thankfully he acted alone and only a couple of thousand of state employees lost their jobs, but if Credit Suisse and the other investment banks he was doing business with took better notice they should've nipped it in the bud.

Second, the provisions that were repealed in the 80s were absolutely necessary to build a banking system sophisticated enough for the markets in its current state. I can't imagine a banking system where the largest institutions are regional banks and maybe one or two super-regionals.

eznark

Banned
Finally, an Occupy movement I can get behind.

Greenspeak Jeff Green said:
November for PC Arkham City. I see how it is. I see where we stand. Once again, PC gamers are the 99 percent. OCCUPY GAMING!

lawblob said:
This is missing the point. Giving a mortgage to someone with bad credit is still a known variable, the banks knew exactly what they were doing giving mortgages to people with shit credit. Even if some of the mortgages had gov backing, so what, that's not what crashed the economy. What crashed the economy was taking these loans, bundling them into securities in a way that intentionally hid the risk, then trading a security on the open market with unknown risk, and leveraging it 60x face value. The mere weakening of the mortgage market was itself tiny compared to the money lost by bundling them into securities with unknown risk and betting upwards of 60x face value against them.

That's not true at all- the banks , along with Fannie/Freddie had/have mortgage assets in the trillions. The bundling itself more so spread the risk around, instead of concentrating to a few companies, like Countrywide. Perhaps, without the bundling, there would have been less exposure within the major commercial banks, and such banks would not have stopped lending as much when others starting calling "bullshit" on the sub-prime mortgages. Then again, many more homes would have been foreclosed, as the concentration of "shit loans" for such companies would have higher and those companies would have enough capital to write-off much of the "toxic debt." We still would have had a recession of some degree- with or without the loan bundling and creation of the mortgage-backed securities. With the bundling of loans, many banks did write-off much of the debt- they lost billions and many people lost their jobs- don't think that these companies got off without feeling the pain either.

Also, there were many banks and Wall Street firms that were not involved heavily and barely at all in the mortgage-backed securities markets. I found it ridiculous when the protesters started marching towards Jamie Dimon's apartment, as JP Morgan had relatively little investments in such securities. Bank of America was not in that bad of shape either, until stupidly bought Countrywide and later (though was kind of forced) bought Merrill Lynch. The Great Satan Goldman Sachs had far less involvement than Bear Sterns and Lehman Brothers, both of which ended up going bankrupt. The bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers kicked-off the plummeting of the equity markets and ensuing recession. These Occupiers/"Flee Partiers" en masse have very little concept of what actually happened, yet it is very recent and extremely well-documented history.

If people don't take the time to research the specifics of what happened and why it happened and such information is readily available on the internet (though there is no single one source, and certainly highly-partisan sites like the Daily Kos/Media Matters shit or any shitty Tea Party blog will not have much useful info), then I have no sympathy for their ignorance. In fact, I will continue to ridicule them from my ivory tower, as they deserve it.

Alpha-Bromega said:
here's mine; infrastructure investment, public transportation, AFFORDABLE schooling, complte revamp of the public education system, the list goes on but these are absolutely fundamental. Oh some decent healthcare ALA Germany (mix of private and public)

Anyone can list a couple general areas to target; however intelligent legislating involves very specific plans and projects of where any tax money should go.

Infrastructure? What exactly? You want roads to be repaved? That's what the '09 stimulus cash went and a solid percentage went to the making of the signs along the roads that claimed "this road is being paved by the stimulus fund." Repaving roads are such simple projects that they should be a state and local matters only anyway. Now, do you want bridge replacement? That's something much of the country does need, though it takes much time to plan, demolish the old bridge, and to build a new one- with much economic consequences for those who used the bridge and would be awaiting for the completion of the new one. Such bridge replacement projects are certainly not shovel ready and expensive- could use federal dollars. However, the '09 stimulus package did not have enough strings attached to where the funding could go, and thus, the states wasted the cash other things (like state employee pension and healthcare benefits) than the needed bridges.

Public transportation? All major US cities have some sort of rail or subway system and bus system. Now, should most metros expand their commuter rail and/or subways systems? Yes. But is it easy? No, as the costs of adding such rail lines are extremely high. I know for the cases of metro Boston and metro New York, their respective transportation agencies/unions, the MBTA and MTA, are very corrupt. In fact, the last two heads of the MBTA are in jail for corruption. Perhaps, the protesters should be clamoring for ending transportation union corruption?...

Affordable schools? Public schooling is free in the United States. If you mean provide more subsidies to families for charter schools, which usually have much higher education standards, then I may agree to a certain degree there.

Chichikov

Hasphat'sAnts said:
Citron bankrupted Orange County by speculating on Repo notes and floating rate notes. Thankfully he acted alone and only a couple of thousand of state employees lost their jobs, but if Credit Suisse and the other investment banks he was doing business with took better notice they should've nipped it in the bud.
My question still stands.
What does it have to do with my assertion that Glass Steagall was effective in preventing catastrophic bank failures?

Hasphat'sAnts said:
Second, the provisions that were repealed in the 80s were absolutely necessary to build a banking system sophisticated enough for the markets in its current state. I can't imagine a banking system where the largest institutions are regional banks and maybe one or two super-regionals.
I don't think that a sophisticated banking is a goal in and by itself.
Why do you think this was necessary or even a good thing?

Something Wicked said:
That's not true at all- the banks , along with Fannie/Freddie had/have mortgage assets in the trillions. The bundling itself more so spread the risk around, instead of concentrating to a few companies, like Countrywide. Perhaps, without the bundling, there would have been less exposure within the major commercial banks, and such banks would not have stopped lending as much when others starting calling "bullshit" on the sub-prime mortgages. Then again, many more homes would have been foreclosed, as the concentration of "shit loans" for such companies would have higher and those companies would have enough capital to write-off much of the "toxic debt." We still would have had a recession of some degree- with or without the loan bundling and creation of the mortgage-backed securities. With the bundling of loans, many banks did write-off much of the debt- they lost billions and many people lost their jobs- don't think that these companies got off without feeling the pain either.

Thank you!

Makes absolutely zero sense to overlook the underlying assets as the chief reason for the banking collapse.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Hasphat'sAnts said:
Thank you!

Makes absolutely zero sense to overlook the underlying assets as the chief reason for the banking collapse.
That point has been refuted about 20 times in this thread. I think people just have a much easier time blaming poor people and minorities than rich white dudes.

Hasphat'sAnts said:
Thank you!

This tidily overlooks the fact that subprime loans were being aggressively pushed because Wall Street “innovation” (which is nothing but adding complexity to disguise fraud) made such loans profitable in the short term to the original lender! All you are doing is pointing to an effect of Wall Street's reckless and criminal behavior.

empty vessel said:
This tidily overlooks the fact that subprime loans were being aggressively pushed because Wall Street “innovation” (which is nothing but adding complexity to disguise fraud) made such loans profitable in the short term to the original lender! All you are doing is pointing to an effect of Wall Street's reckless and criminal behavior.

Such loans were initially being aggressively pushed by Barney Frank and Co and aggressively fought against stopping such loans. Barney Frank and his fellow Congresspeople started this and perpetuated it, and thus are the most at fault. But of course, a Democrat could never do wrong.

Also, since you are a lawyer, can you please sight the specific laws and which specific Wall Street firms broke such laws? Thanks.

Chichikov said:
My question still stands.
What does it have to do with my assertion that Glass Steagall was effective in preventing catastrophic bank failures?

I don't think that a sophisticated banking is a goal in and by itself.
Why do you think this was necessary or even a good thing?

The point I wanted to demonstrate is that Citron and Orange County showed that financial speculation (and the inevitable collapse) is not limited to banking. And as LTCM proved, you can be an institution carrying "systemic risk" without being a bank-holding company.

Second, inter-state banking regulations places serious restrictions on the flow of debt/financing during the syndication process. Again, when GM wants to issue 50 million dollars worth of investment grade debt, I can't imagine they have to pick between going all in for Fifth Third or one of the securities firms on Wall Street. Diversify risks right?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Something Wicked said:
Such loans were initially being aggressively pushed by Barney Frank and Co and aggressively fought against stopping such loans. Barney Frank and his fellow Congresspeople started this and perpetuated it, and thus are the most at fault. But of course, a Democrat could never do wrong.

Also, since you are a lawyer, can you please sight the specific laws and which specific Wall Street firms broke such laws? Thanks.
Oh, you're one of the "Barney Frank did it" guys. I get it now

Securities Fraud. You've already been told what laws were broken in this thread, you just chose to ignore information you don't want to hear.

ronito

Something Wicked said:

So wait.

Is it wrong or not?

Cause first you say, "See? There's no problem!"

Then someone points out problems with your logic and you're like "But Barney Frank did it!"

Which is it?

Evlar

Banned
Something Wicked said:

This is ridiculous. What on earth kind of leverage do you think Barney Frank, the ranking minority member of the House Financial Services Committee, had over the lending and leveraging decisions of the top five investment banks? I want you to explain precisely what levers of power you think he was pulling to accomplish this influence you claim he had on them. The power of subpoena (which he wouldn't really wield alone as the ranking minority member)? The power of proposing legislation (which wouldn't likely get passed in a Republican house)? The power of ridiculing them in the press (how naive do you think we are if you say that influences critical, high-stakes decisions on Wall Street)?

What?

WHAT DO YOU THINK HE DID?

dave is ok said:
That point has been refuted about 20 times in this thread. I think people just have a much easier time blaming poor people and minorities than rich white dudes.

How? All I got from you is that apparently, securities firms should not be allowed to hedge their credit risk.

empty vessel said:

High demand from institution investors for these securities, high demand from securities firms to create them, and high demand from mortgage shops big and small to supply them. The common thread between these segments of the collapse is not securitization. It's the underlying.

That's why I keep saying that instead of legislation that addresses the symptoms of a financial crisis. We have to come up with ways to discourage, rather than police, high risk behavior.

Dude Abides

Banned
Something Wicked said:
No, as the costs of adding such rail lines are extremely high. I know for the cases of metro Boston and metro New York, their respective transportation agencies/unions, the MBTA and MTA, are very corrupt. In fact, the last two heads of the MBTA are in jail for corruption. Perhaps, the protesters should be clamoring for ending transportation union corruption?...

You understand the MBTA and MTA are employers, not unions, right? Right? Just trying to ascertain how tenuous your understanding of simple facts is.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Just for some cold hard facts. In a very short period of time Goldman Sachs went from betting $6 billion on mortgages to betting $10 billion against them, actively betting against the clients who had just been sold the investments.

They sold a derivative called Timberwolf to an Australian hedge fund called Basis Capital for $100 million on June 18th, 2007 and made their first margin call only 16 days later. Within a month, Basis lost $37.5 million, and was forced to file for bankruptcy. Another one, Abacus, lost 99% of it's 1 billion dollar value within a year, while Goldman profited by shorting.

There are plenty of clear cut cases of illegal activity here.

Something Wicked said:

If you are implying that I will take offense that Democrats beholden to Wall Street have responsibility for the deregulation that allowed Wall Street "innovation" to crash the economy, you are mistaken. If this is intended to imply that the Community Reinvestment Act had anything to do with the financial crisis or with subprime lending (which is not the lending encouraged by the CRA) that was occurring in the 2000s, no serious person who has studied it believes it does.

Something Wicked said:

This would require knowing all the laws of all the fifty states. Suffice it to say, criminal law generally prohibits fraud, which is an intentional deception made for personal gain. As well, securities fraud was no doubt endemic. As was collective embezzlement (people using their corporation's assets for their personal enrichment). The problem is not that laws were not broken. The problem is that nobody in government is looking or has any motivation to find out. Asking a single private individual to do the work of 51 governments is absurd. If you are sincere in wanting to know what laws were broken and by whom, you should be demanding that adequate governmental resources be put to that task.

Chichikov

Hasphat'sAnts said:
The point I wanted to demonstrate is that Citron and Orange County showed that financial speculation (and the inevitable collapse) is not limited to banking. And as LTCM proved, you can be an institution carrying "systemic risk" without being a bank-holding company.
But Glass Steagall is limited to banking.
I didn't mean to imply that Glass Steagall can stop all financial shanangians, that would be crazy.

Hasphat'sAnts said:
Second, inter-state banking regulations places serious restrictions on the flow of debt/financing during the syndication process. Again, when GM wants to issue 50 million dollars worth of investment grade debt, I can't imagine they have to pick between going all in for Fifth Third or one of the securities firms on Wall Street. Diversify risks right?
I'm still not sure I follow.
Can you maybe explain it to me in smaller words -
You're saying the sophisticated banking system we have right now is better than what we had in 1980 (just to pick a random year), because...?

And by the way, I'm not saying that our financial regulation pre-Reagan was perfect, far from it.
But the fact that a system can be improved upon does not mean than any change is a welcomed one.

dave is ok said:
Just for some cold hard facts. In a very short period of time Goldman Sachs went from betting $6 billion on mortgages to betting $10 billion against them, actively betting against the clients who had just been sold the investments.

They sold a derivative called Timberwolf to an Australian hedge fund called Basis Capital for $100 million on June 18th, 2007 and made their first margin call only 16 days later. Within a month, Basis lost $37.5 million, and was forced to file for bankruptcy. Another one, Abacus, lost 99% of it's 1 billion dollar value within a year, while Goldman profited by shorting.

There are plenty of clear cut cases of illegal activity here.

It's one thing if GS was selling securities to some pension fund managed by 2 dudes in a supply closet in the basement of county hall. Now, I know some sales people did do that and I don't condone that, and those dickwads should be in jail.

Hedge Funds are considered "sophisticated investors" and if their research dept was this bad, it's a good thing they've gone belly up.

Hasphat'sAnts said:
It's one thing if GS was selling securities to some pension fund managed by 2 dudes in a supply closet in the basement of county hall. Now, I know some sales people did do that and I don't condone that, and those dickwads should be in jail.

Hedge Funds are considered "sophisticated investors" and if their research dept was this bad, it's a good thing they've gone belly up.

Except that it's fraud. We don't say that victims of fraud--no matter how sophisticated--deserve to be defrauded because they did not independently discover they were being lied to. Criminal behavior concerns itself with the mental state of the perpetrator. If Goldman made statements it believed to be false, it was engaging in fraud. Period. It doesn't matter if you think the other party should have known it was being lied to.

Chichikov said:
And by the way, I'm not saying that our financial regulation pre-Reagan was perfect, far from it.
But the fact that a system can be improved upon does not mean than any change is a welcomed one.

Here's what I'm trying to say.

When you have to syndicate a big loan, particularly something that is not investment grade, in a banking system where there's restrictions on interstate banking, your options in potential partners are extremely limited and you will have to pay higher interest rates and covenant premiums.

The size of corporations have become so large that project financing is too big for the balance sheets of regional banks to absorb.

Timedog said:
Oh. My. Fucking. God.

Can't wait for the police defense force to explain this one away. And just to say , if this video is overblown and eventually gets exposed as some protester bullshit then I'll eat crow for it, but seriously, fuck the pigs who were involved in this. Fucking cowards.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
moop2000 said:
Can't wait for the police defense force to explain this one away. And just to say , if this video is overblown and eventually gets exposed as some protester bullshit then I'll eat crow for it, but seriously, fuck the pigs who were involved in this. Fucking cowards.
Need some more info, but both those videos in that link look fucking disgusting from what I can see.

Dartastic

Dartastic said:
Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I admittedly also do kinda like the response of the dude who got punched. "I remember seeing my earring on the ground next to me and it was full of blood. I was completely dumbstruck. I'm HIV positive and that cop should get tested."

Nothing like FUCK THE POLICE or anything. Just, "Dude. I've got the HIV. Get tested."

Yeah, he's definitely a classier person than me.

Dartastic

Puddles said:
I've been out of the loop the last few days.

Have these 53% idiots derailed this movement?
No. In fact what they have done is prompt a response from 99% people that makes the 99% look intelligent and articulate while the 53% just looks dumb.

Dude Abides said:
You understand the MBTA and MTA are employers, not unions, right? Right? Just trying to ascertain how tenuous your understanding of simple facts is.

And both the MBTA and MTA have unions associated with them, hence I said "agencies/unions" when referring to each. Now, do you want to comment on the level of corruption within both agencies and unions, or you do want to continue in attempting and failing at the "gotcha semantics game?"

Evlar said:
This is ridiculous. What on earth kind of leverage do you think Barney Frank, the ranking minority member of the House Financial Services Committee, had over the lending and leveraging decisions of the top five investment banks? I want you to explain precisely what levers of power you think he was pulling to accomplish this influence you claim he had on them. The power of subpoena (which he wouldn't really wield alone as the ranking minority member)? The power of proposing legislation (which wouldn't likely get passed in a Republican house)? The power of ridiculing them in the press (how naive do you think we are if you say that influences critical, high-stakes decisions on Wall Street)?

What?

WHAT DO YOU THINK HE DID?

He and his buddies were threatening legal action against banks whom did not lend to high-risk, lower income earners/entities. The fear of being touted as "racist" (as many such lower income earners were minorities) after the new CRA changes in the mid-1990s highly accelerated banks and financial firms to enter the sub-prime mortgage sectors.

empty vessel said:
If you are implying that I will take offense that Democrats beholden to Wall Street have responsibility for the deregulation that allowed Wall Street "innovation" to crash the economy, you are mistaken. If this is intended to imply that the Community Reinvestment Act had anything to do with the financial crisis or with subprime lending (which is not the lending encouraged by the CRA) that was occurring in the 2000s, no serious person who has studied it believes it does.

100% false, and no serious person would ever claim that "no serious person who has studied it believes it does."

empty vessel said:
This would require knowing all the laws of all the fifty states. Suffice it to say, criminal law generally prohibits fraud, which is an intentional deception made for personal gain. As well, securities fraud was no doubt endemic. As was collective embezzlement (people using their corporation's assets for their personal enrichment). The problem is not that laws were not broken. The problem is that nobody in government is looking or has any motivation to find out. Asking a single private individual to do the work of 51 governments is absurd. If you are sincere in wanting to know what laws were broken and by whom, you should be demanding that adequate governmental resources be put to that task.

A) It wasn't securities fraud, as most of such mortgages did not come from thin-air and were in fact, very real. The government knew what was going on and had many years to legislate against such practices- which some did try, but Team Barney Frank raised too much hell to make such legislation politically viable.

B) Government officials are not deeply investigating or putting anyone on trial, since they themselves were heavily involved in the whole fiasco as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom